• Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums
continue reading below

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Man, I haven’t deleted a game faster than Deponia.

Total Posts: 1368

Joined 2012-09-28

PM

D.C. - 04 January 2013 09:08 PM

For what it’s worth, I agree with Agustin about Syberia too. Tongue (Except I don’t think Kate Walker was necessarily bad, just the lack of any talking or hot spots resulted in not a whole lot of personality being revealed.)

Well, Syberia is more of a Mystlike game. I think she’s meant to be little more than a blank canvas for you to experience the world of Syberia through.

Total Posts: 86

Joined 2003-09-21

PM

That’s probably true too! I appreciated the artistry of the world and the atmosphere, though!

Honestly Deponia is one of the best adventure series I’ve played in a long time! Rufus might be abrasive, but that’s not because of lazy writing—it’s an intentional character trait that gives you an interesting perspective of his world. It’s also led to many a conversation between some pals about why Rufus is the way he is and the like. Helps that I found him genuinely funny too. (That’s probably subjective, I guess. Grin)

Right or wrong, weak or strong.

Total Posts: 40

Joined 2011-12-15

PM

thinker - 01 January 2013 12:11 PM

It’s not totally the game’s fault per se but I’m too old for its juvenile style. It reminded me of the annoying and loud cartoons my little nephews watch.

Same thing here, but with the demo. A might be missing something but I kind of don’t have patience for this lighthearted frolicsome stuff (the only exception being Monkey Island 3, as I was juvenile at that time).

I am tired of that overused design where the characters have a white circle with a dot in the middle as eyes. Kind of boring and trite for me.

Total Posts: 880

Joined 2010-02-15

PM

Lets make a thread about ‘Man, I haven’t deleted a game faster than Gabriel Knight’. Man I hated that game. This main character didn’t sound like he was from new orleans, and damn he was a horrible perv. Stupid game.

So when are people going to leave there bubble and start enjoying games for what they are? Almost every ‘dislike’ thread all comes from someones misconceptions or inability to open up to a game. Its sad, you focus more energy in disliking a game and trying to voice the opinion than just liking a game and sharing the wonder with other people…

Stuart Bradley Newsom - Naughty Shinobi || Our Game: Shadow Over Isolation

Total Posts: 100

Joined 2009-02-07

PM

Agustín Cordes - 04 January 2013 03:24 PM

I’ll take any day a smarmy and irreverent character like Rufus over an inane and shallow one like Kate Walker.

Well, on Syberia, Kate Walker wasn’t the best character ever but the game wasn’t good because of her mostly. What made the game was the general atmosphere of neo-steam punk.

In short, she wasn’t loud and screaming and let the soothing atmosphere of the game work.

Joined 2009-02-07

PM

Dag - 04 January 2013 08:18 PM

I enjoyed Deponia’s weird humour, and Rufus’ obnoxiousness was one of the most funny things about it. Even more so in the second game.

I remember all the hate back when Simon 2 came out, a lot of people were outraged about Simon’s rudeness, yet his attitude was pretty similar to that of Blackadder (season 3-4) which I found to be (and still do) hilarious.

It seems to me that some people are missing the fact that Rufus is supposed to be a self-centered, egotistical moron. Saying that Deponia sucks because Rufus is a moron, is to me like saying that Monkey Island sucks because Guybrush is a gullible, wannabe pirate.

Maybe the fact that I have actually known a few people in my life, who were pretty much exactly like Rufus, increases my ability to laugh at it, because I’m constantly reminded of ridiculous episodes/people of the past. However, if you’re obsessed about identifying with the protagonist, then surely, Deponia is never gonna be a game for you (unless you are one of the most unsympathetic persons you’ve met Tongue ).

That’s not the problem. I don’t identify with all characters. But some characters aren’t annoying and let the rest of the game work.

Joined 2003-09-21

PM

The beauty of a character like Rufus though is the interesting dynamic that’s brought with him…

He’s the protagonist, so you’re along for the ride whether you approve of what he’s doing or not. It’s weird from time-to-time wanting him to mess up or anticipating how his arrogance/warped perspective is going to get in the way of something down the line—having an insight into his surrounds that he doesn’t share. I loved the reputation he had amongst the characters of the world too, any one he met groaned or had a story to tell of how they’ve been wronged by him. (Then hearing Rufus’ deluded take on how things went down.)

I agree, it might be an acquired taste, but if you can accept him there’s a lot to like here!

Joined 2009-02-07

PM

D.C. - 05 January 2013 02:33 AM

The beauty of a character like Rufus though is the interesting dynamic that’s brought with him…

He’s the protagonist, so you’re along for the ride whether you approve of what he’s doing or not. It’s weird from time-to-time wanting him to mess up or anticipating how his arrogance/warped perspective is going to get in the way of something down the line—having an insight into his surrounds that he doesn’t share. I loved the reputation he had amongst the characters of the world too, any one he met groaned or had a story to tell of how they’ve been wronged by him. (Then hearing Rufus’ deluded take on how things went down.)

I agree, it might be an acquired taste, but if you can accept him there’s a lot to like here!

If you’re so detached I bet you like the Myst-like games.

I personally run away from them. It’s not that I become attached to a character, not at all in some cases, but without any human reference around, at least in a strong part, it feels like I’m watching a boring documentary that only needs instructions to go further.

Joined 2003-09-21

PM

Haha! Just the opposite!

I don’t know why, but I felt a weird surge of defensiveness when you accused me of liking Myst. Tongue (I’ve been known to rant about those kinds of games from time-to-time and as Zifnab mentioned, it’s probably half the reason I didn’t like Kate Walker and Syberia. An acquired taste that ain’t mine. Grin)

I always prefer a good character story. My favourite series is Gabriel Knight, for full disclosure! I consider Deponia to be a decent character story too. Rufus might not be lovable, but I find him interesting all the same. I wouldn’t call it detached either. One thing I love about adventures and games in general is their ability to put you into the shoes of another person. In my experience, you don’t need to relate 100% in order to enjoy their story. (Though I understand if this particular one is not to your liking. Smile)

There’s plenty of little things I loved about Deponia too, like how from time-to-time Rufus meets characters who become a moral compass. There’s also a lot of origin story stuff hinting at why Rufus acts the way he does. A lot of the time you’re not laughing with him, but at him. I really liked the world and mythology as well, taking in the sights and sounds. I had a lot of fun seeing it all through such a warped perspective…

Joined 2009-02-07

PM

Well as I said, I didn’t want to relate per se, but some annoying cultural elements can be so loud that they don’t let you see the rest. Anyway, I’ll give it another thought and I MAY look into it again.

Total Posts: 643

Joined 2006-09-24

PM

hI’m not too far into Deponia, but I don’t understand the hate for Rufus. To me he’s nowhere as bad as some have said, and I don’t see him much more obnoxious than a character like Guybrush Threepwood or Leisure Suit Larry. I think Rufus is kind of a lovable doofus, and I find his cockiness sort of endearing. Plus, some early moments in the game (girlfriend issues, father abandoned him) had me sympathizing with him. His character is a nice break from a lot of the self-serious protagonists in storytelling, and that’s from someone who loves the dark, serious storytelling as much as anyone else.

The game has had me laughing out loud quite a few times, and I don’t do that frequently. I think the appeal of this game is to simply let loose and enjoy the wild ride. I’m enjoying the clever imagination and zany humor. Daedalic’s games are quite beautiful to behold. Love the artwork.

This might rub some the wrong way, and I’m not saying Deponia is perfect and everyone should love it unconditionally, but I think trying new things you might dislike initially can turn out positively. After all, judging someone too early might deprive you of the chance to learn more about that person, what has shaped them, etc. As in real life, if you make an effort to understand that person, as I imagine the game is going to do, you’ll sympathize with them and maybe have a positive experience yourself.

Total Posts: 23

Joined 2010-02-16

PM

@thinker, this is what I think (so far) while your initial post really cuts a long story short Smile

http://www.adventuregamers.com/forums/viewreply/24780/

Total Posts: 47

Joined 2013-02-12

PM

inm8#2 - 16 January 2013 03:26 AM

After all, judging someone too early might deprive you of the chance to learn more about that person, what has shaped them, etc. As in real life, if you make an effort to understand that person, as I imagine the game is going to do, you’ll sympathize with them and maybe have a positive experience yourself.

Thumbs Up  this is always the case when I play a game or watch a movie, etc…

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top