• Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums
continue reading below

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Veovis

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Deponia was ACTUALLY good!

Total Posts: 100

Joined 2009-02-07

PM

At first I thought I couldn’t stand it with the Wenzel and Rufus duo in the first minutes being too childish but then I realized the Adventure as a complete work was very high quality. Apart from the fact it had other characters too and a relatively large world, the second one is actually better!

In fact, I’d say the second one was a solid 8/10 if the first was a 7.

Total Posts: 5838

Joined 2012-03-24

PM

I started playing Deponia with a lot of reservations mainly because of the graphics but I just ended up loving it - the dialogue for me was so observant & funny. The character of Rufus made me cringe so much with some of the things he said but I couldn’t help but like him even if I wanted to slap him a lot of the time! I know a lot of players preferred Deponia 2 but maybe by the time I got through that the novelty had worn off so still prefer 1!

Total Posts: 3933

Joined 2011-03-14

PM

Well yes - Deponia was ACTUALLY good!

They also got 3½ start her at Adventure Gamers, so you shouldn’t sound that surprised!

You have to play the game, to find out why you are playing the game! - eXistenZ

Total Posts: 26

Joined 2011-04-09

PM

Of course it was good. It’s one of the best adventures of 2012. And by far deserves more than this 3,5/5 that was rated by AG. The game graphics are exactly what the adventure games need and of high quality. Cartoony graphics are more suitable to adventure games.

Total Posts: 4011

Joined 2011-04-01

PM

tsampikos - 13 March 2013 03:45 AM

Cartoony graphics are more suitable to some adventure games.

Agreed Laughing

Total Posts: 1289

Joined 2012-07-15

PM

Yea, Deponia was great, and imo, one of the most successfully translated (to English) comedy adventures. The one issue that I’ve seen repeat itself with people who didn’t like the games, was that they didn’t like Rufus’ personality. I believe this is a fundamental misunderstanding of the games humor as a whole. You’re not supposed to relate to Rufus! (Unless you’re a self-centered twat Tongue ) He’s an egocentric moron, and seeing the game world through the eyes of such a person is precisely what make the games so funny (not to mention that it’s a well written work of quality in every other aspect aswell).

Take the puzzle with the cat flap for instance, YOU know what Rufus needs to do to get into that shop long before Rufus does. I’ve seen people use this particular puzzle as an argument as to why the game was bad, but for me, the moment where Rufus finally realizes what to do was hysterically funny, because his inability to figure out something so obvious sooner was another testament to his stupidity, further enriching his personality (in a funny way).

Duckman: Can you believe it? Five hundred bucks for a parking ticket?
Cornfed Pig: You parked in a handicapped zone.
Duckman: Who cares? Nobody parks there anyway, except for the people who are supposed to park there and, hell, I can outrun them anytime.

Total Posts: 406

Joined 2006-04-21

PM

I loved both of them. I found them really funny. Rufus was a doofus, but I even felt sorry for him a couple of times.

The real problem with reality is the lack of background music.

Knightette of the Order of the Caption

Music is what feelings sound like…

Total Posts: 23

Joined 2010-02-16

PM

No, it is not.

I haven’t finished the game yet but I think it is not a good adventure game, honestly.
Actually, I may say it is not an adventure game at all. Let me explain myself.

Adventure games are neither a collection of loosely coupled puzzles nor an inventory of items to be used here and there. Instead, the package includes a cohesive scenario, evolving characters, climax, atmosphere and genuine dialogs.

Deponia not only copycats the old, classic adventure games at certain points (e.g. the inventory items and how they work, the replies to unsuccessful player decisions, the dialog system and -last but not least, the freaking TUTORIAL) it also deeply lacks pretty much everything else: A shallow, indifferent but nonetheless love struck character, who just wants to go from point A to point B, for no apparent reason or greater cause, stumbling upon childish and predictable obstacles, making progress thru his stupidity.

I mean, COME ON, this is not what I call adventure game. Call it casual adventure or whatever you like, it is not but a childish game with no real, motivating, inspiring, genuine scenario!

This is my personal opinion, of course. I also intend to post a full fledged article when I finish the game; meanwhile, I am taking notes of hate and dislike.

BTW #1, I have had a terrible bug with the ‘torch’ item: it wouldn’t appear in the inventory and took me quite a while to discover it was actually there. Using it both times was nerve braking. Please, fix.

BTW #2, It is the second game from Daedalic I really hate after The Whispered World (which I really really badly and absolutely hated and uninstalled after playing for 10 or 15 miserable minutes). I admit it was my mistake to buy it but I thought I could give a second chance miscarried by good critics and positive articles. I promise I will never do that again.

Total Posts: 3933

Joined 2011-03-14

PM

You DO know that you can just skip the tutorial - right?

And i wouldn’t dream of calling it a casual adventure or anything else but a humorous adventure game. And yes it is childish, but so is Monkey Island, Sam&Max;, Simon the Sorcerer, Book of Unwritten Tales and pretty much all the humorous games i can think of.

You have to play the game, to find out why you are playing the game! - eXistenZ

Total Posts: 177

Joined 2006-03-28

PM

Call it awful if you like, but I’m not sure how you could call it anything other than a full fledged adventure game. It is definitely not a casual game.

Joined 2012-07-15

PM

@McPillager: not liking a game is an honest opinion. Even more so when you make sensible arguments for that opinion. Stating that a classical fully fledged point and click adventure isnt even an adventure game, just because it didn’t appeal to you, is kinda childish, isn’t it? Especially after accusing the game itself of being childish?

McPillager - 14 March 2013 04:28 PM

I also intend to post a full fledged article when I finish the game; meanwhile, I am taking notes of hate and dislike.

Now, why would you do that? Why spread hate around? If hate and dislike are the only emotions the game evokes in you, why not play something else instead?

Duckman: Who cares? Nobody parks there anyway, except for the people who are supposed to park there and, hell, I can outrun them anytime.

Total Posts: 95

Joined 2010-11-01

PM

I finished it today and liked it. Rufus was quite amusing (and annoying at other times) and the game was very entertaining with high quality voice acting. Some of the puzzles were slightly annoying. Daedlic’s production values are among the highest I’ve seen in AGs, do they get big budgets to work with?

I thought The Whispered World and A New Beginning were better games but liked this and am going to play Chaos of Deponia right away while the first is fresh on the mind. Also looking forward to playing The Dark Eye: Chains of Satinav soon.

Total Posts: 23

Joined 2010-02-16

PM

Dag - 14 March 2013 07:10 PM

@McPillager: not liking a game is an honest opinion. Even more so when you make sensible arguments for that opinion. Stating that a classical fully fledged point and click adventure isnt even an adventure game, just because it didn’t appeal to you, is kinda childish, isn’t it? Especially after accusing the game itself of being childish?

McPillager - 14 March 2013 04:28 PM

I also intend to post a full fledged article when I finish the game; meanwhile, I am taking notes of hate and dislike.

Now, why would you do that? Why spread hate around? If hate and dislike are the only emotions the game evokes in you, why not play something else instead?

As I said, I haven’t finished the game yet. The opinion I expressed is my opinion so far. To be fair, I have to finish the game first.

Joined 2012-07-15

PM

Well, if you intend to write a full article about a game, you may wanna take notes about more than just hates and dislikes, atleast if you want anyone to take your article seriously. The way you expressed it made it seem like you’re just gathering fuel for hatred.

Total Posts: 8471

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

Dag - 14 March 2013 07:10 PM

^ This.

There’s a reason why I’m pretty generous with rating both games and movies: I tend to avoid those that I know are going to be bad (or not to my liking), and I tend not to finish games that I really dislike (but I will give them a fair chance).

The truth can’t hurt you, it’s just like the dark: it scares you witless but in time you see things clear and stark. - Elvis Costello
Maybe this time I can be strong, but since I know who I am, I’m probably wrong. Maybe this time I can go far, but thinking about where I’ve been ain’t helping me start. - Michael Kiwanuka

Total Posts: 4011

Joined 2011-04-01

PM

What is this? Are we really suggesting people should shut up when they dislike a game?

It seems to me a post praising a game is no different from one criticising it, as long as it is genuinely honest and reflective. Both offer opportunities for discussion and give us a chance to exchange ideas and understand each others tastes and opinions. Isn’t that what a forum is supposed to be about?

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top