• Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums
continue reading below

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

AG Community Playthrough #34: The Cat Lady

Total Posts: 16

Joined 2012-12-22

PM

Thank you all for picking The Cat Lady for your CP!;)

It is certainly not your typical adventure game… But personally, even though I grew up playing those, I seem to be steering off towards different style games nowadays. I really like what TellTale has done with The Walking Dead and even enjoy the hell out of Life Is Strange (though my wife keeps telling me it’s a game for teenage girls; what does she know! Tongue). So I guess I’m going in that direction as well, though my games are still more puzzle-heavy than theirs.

At this point I should also probably let you know that The Cat Lady was made on a budget of… $0. The many people who have contributed in its development have either done it for free or received small payment some time after the release. I made the game in the corner of my living room, in between working in the hospital and being a dad, and in that sense it is a true indie game. It survived two hard drive failures, when I almost lost everything I’d made to that point… (forgetting to make back-up copies is one of my biggest problems…;))

As usual, I didn’t plan anything. I just made a couple of backgrounds and one character and rolled with that, making up the story as I went. Sometimes, at work, I would hide somewhere and scribble down ideas on little pieces of paper. The game was the first thing I thought of every day when I woke up, and the last thing I thought before falling asleep. It was close to me, always. Personal. Like another child, almost. It was always my way to vent out the bad stuff. My hiding place. My therapy.

Its relative success now enabled me to ditch the day job, move, and make games full-time. It’s only been a few months so far… but it’s actually fantastic so far, and I’m loving my life!;) Personally, I’m nothing like grumpy Susan. I’ve always been a happy person, even though I’ve too been through a lot of dark moments.

Of course, it wouldn’t all be possible without help from Mark Lovegrove (screen7) who joined production towards the end. I gave the guy an enormous amount of trust and he hasn’t let me down. He’s a great producer, agent, and a friend. If any of you here make games and think about going commercial - contact him.

Whether my games will become better and more popular still, only time will show. I’m certainly doing my best;) The remake of Downfall that’s been in production for about a year is almost finished. Those of you who wanted to find out more about Joe Davis, you might wanna wait for that. Should be out before the end of the year. So… here’s three screenshots from that. One recently appeared on screen7 Facebook page, the last is an exclusive for you, guys;)

Take care, and hopefully see you at Downfall (remake) Community Walkthrough some time in the future!;)

Total Posts: 8998

Joined 2004-01-05

PM

I’ve finished the game yesterday. Last chapter was way too short but was still satisfying conclusion to Susan’s story. Mitzi died in the blast after shooting Adam Not many thoughts to add, it´s a very good game that feels refreshing and adds something new to the genre. One thought I’m having is that the game would work great in a console, specially in the Vita.
Thanks Sefir por leading and everybody for another enjoyable CP.
And of course thanks Rem for joining and all the bits of information that added to the experience. It’s incredible what can be done with no budget and just part-time. Good luck on future games and I’ll be sure to play the Downfall remake when available.

Total Posts: 3200

Joined 2007-01-04

PM

Also thank you Rem for taking the time to look in & post here - I’ve certainly appreciated your comments!

Yes REM, your story on how this game was developed is amazing, it’s always good to have a developer around on a CP, and you sharing how this game got made really added to my enjoyment of the playthough of the game.

Well, now I will have to play “Downfall” and learn more about Joe!

Personally, I still find it amazing how little your budget was, this game looks like it cost quite a bit more than that.

Heart

I enjoy playing adventure games on my Alienware M17 r4 and my Nintendo Switch OLED.

Total Posts: 3933

Joined 2011-03-14

PM

chrissie - 29 July 2015 03:39 PM

I don’t know what to think about what the The Eye of Adam was doing – yes! he was tipping people over the edge to commit suicide but I couldn’t help thinking that his loving & devoted father (who must have set up that poisonous fish-tank for him!) perhaps denied the fact that his son was promoting something he wanted for himself i.e. to die but incapable of doing so without help? ...

I was also thinking something along the same lines. His farther most likely in the beginning didn’t know about what he was doing with his computer and the suicide site, but he must have helped him set up the whole death trap in the form of the fish tank, and there is absolutely no way he could have done that, without knowing or at the very least suspecting the purpose behind it. So it has to have been installed with the explicit purpose of giving Adam a way to commit suicide, if or when he wanted to.

So why haven’t Adam used it before now?
Well, if he wanted to the farther could have meet Susan and Mitzi outside the flat, he could have given them the gas mask and warned them about the fish tank, but he doesn’t. Instead he makes himself a hostage, he gives Susan the gas mask knowing that his son is watching, betting that Adam won’t pull the trigger and release the gas if it means that his farther will also die from it.

This is most likely something that he has done many times before!
The gas mask was most likely bought so he could be together with his son, when he decided to commit suicide. But not actually wanting or being ready to watch his son die, he has refused to put it on or simply leave the flat, thereby depriving his son the one thing that he wants, to die!
Imagine this taking place over some time, and it would have evolved into a love / hate relationship, and a case where they are mutually the hostage of each other, until of course everything escalates to the point where Adam just takes everybody that he can down with him.

If you think about it, the farther is really just as much to blame for everything as Adam himself is.

Rem - 30 July 2015 05:49 AM

At this point I should also probably let you know that The Cat Lady was made on a budget of… $0. The many people who have contributed in its development have either done it for free or received small payment some time after the release. I made the game in the corner of my living room, in between working in the hospital and being a dad, and in that sense it is a true indie game.

Impressive - but it shows what you can accomplish if you have the right idea, and of course both the talent and the dedication to also following through on those ideas.

Thanks for not only making this wonderful game, but also for joining us here in this CPT and adding insight and comments.

Also thanks to Sefir for once again leading a CPT.

You have to play the game, to find out why you are playing the game! - eXistenZ

Total Posts: 3200

Joined 2007-01-04

PM

Sefir once again brings a developer to a CP - I’m telling you, I am getting spoiled. I really enjoy reading the developers posts - it really adds insite to playing the game.

I played the bonus video Sefir posted for us. I actually found it to be pretty humorous. I am actually glad to be saying goodbye to “The Cat Lady” on a humous note.

For all fans of horror like me - I can’t recommend this game highly enough.

Heart

I enjoy playing adventure games on my Alienware M17 r4 and my Nintendo Switch OLED.

Total Posts: 8471

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

Tomato.

When we got the green light to finish the game, I was still 3/4 of the way through Chapter 6 and I hadn’t written anything about Chapter 5 here either because, well, I wanted to avoid spoilers so I avoided this thread like the plague. Still have, so I’ll give my opinion on Ch. 5, 6 and 7 and only then read these last few pages.
Pardon me in advance if this becomes another multi-parter “wall of text” post. Wink

Chapter 5: wow!
The bonding with Mitzi was brilliantly written. Closest thing to an actual deep friendship I’ve seen in a game.
The fourth parasite was creepy as hell. Given that he appears with flowers to present, I think he’s supposed to be that Friday night caller/stalker we had in the past, consumed by his rejection and turned into the animal state he appears to be in. I could be wrong of course, but it’s implied this is the case imo. Maybe Rem could give his “Word of God” opinion on this?

The “in-between world” or “afterworld” (or whatever else you want to call it) sequence had a fiendishly clever puzzle in it (the lock combination), as well as some disturbing moments. The suddenly appearing walls of skulls that close you in made me nervous and that creepy evil shadow monster version of yourself - the one you go “shadow psycho” on - was unsettling. I loved the lock combination puzzle, because the solution wasn’t obvious at first but oh so obvious once you saw it. In fact, it’s strange I didn’t find it sooner, because during the first time I passed the clue, I noticed that one of the foreground and background pieces had formed something resembling an ‘8’, but I missed the other two (and especially the ‘3’ as that one is the big giveaway that this is the lock combination). It only clicked when I was specifically looking for a clue to the lock combination as that was the only thing left to do at the location.
When blowing out the candle this time, I didn’t think it was all that ‘innocent’ (as in: killing off someone who wasn’t going to die anyway) - it’s more like we caused that car crash by doing it. A chilling thought.

And then the flashback… Cry
Damn, that one struck close to home for me… Gasp
[spoiler]Not only is my (almost-)two-year-old daughter named Zoë, but I have a 5 month old son as well - the same age as Zoe in the game - and I know full well how demanding those first baby months can be, especially if one of them (or in my case: both Shifty Eyed) is either a bad eater or a bad sleeper. That will make both parents dead tired constantly which will undoubtedly lead to more arguments and strain on their relationship. Trust me, I know.
One parent accusing the other of spending too much time with the baby while neglecting the house work or the other partner? An argument that has come up here before. Although with the missus and me it was more in a case of “we need to spend more time with just each other” and me basically being a slow housekeeper (so little gets done when I’m alone and have to look after both kids - feeding and changing diapers takes up a LOT more time than you’d guess), so the arguments are nowhere near as heated as the one in-game, but I can definitely relate.
And the death of a child[/spoiler] is basically my worst fear, so the end of this chapter left me not only in tears, but needing a small break as well.

Also, I can’t describe how awesome those changing words in the background were during the flashback sequence. The artistry in this game is simply amazing, and it goes well beyond what I considered possible in AGS. Seriously, if anyone ever says that the AGS is a limited engine, point them to this game… Gasp

It’s a shame (although it’s also kinda great) how the fourth parasite got dealt with - cats don’t attack larger predators unless it’s in self-defence (and even then they’ll scratch and run), they’re more into smaller animals like birds and mice - but “defending The Cat Lady” is pretty cool nonetheless.

Chapter 6: I loved exploring the entire building and getting to know the other inhabitants a little. Some funny moments (the reason why the cats are all over that couch, the old man “cooking his bed and making his dinner in the morning”, Rita Tickle, and parts of the Cat Widow Legend, especially the giant zombie cat and other “wild imagination” moments. It was also great to see Bryan get his comeuppance without needing to die for it.

The Joe Davis sequence was very troubling. The TV made me jump, and if “Misery” doesn’t give you goosebumps then there’s probably something wrong with you (heck, that part is disquieting even after you’ve seen it a dozen times). I’ve watched both “endings” to that sequence, but NOT strangling the monster (and getting shot for my troubles) is what I did first and it’s what I stuck with for this playthrough. This whole part was very surreal, and I feel that it may even have been an advantage not having played Downfall first. It works anyway - even if I fail to grasp the meaning.

For the Legend of the Cat Widow, I went with the shadow of a cat, “cat killer”, “Cat Widow is here”, and unveiling the mask. I’ve watched the other options (except the ‘asshole’ one as that was the least appropriate and most telling of our involvement imo) and they were pretty fun. I can’t say that imagining shooting Bryan wasn’t satisfying in a way, but it was still disproportionate as I really do think he had no clue that the pest control guy was going to kill more than just the cats.

To be continued…

The truth can’t hurt you, it’s just like the dark: it scares you witless but in time you see things clear and stark. - Elvis Costello
Maybe this time I can be strong, but since I know who I am, I’m probably wrong. Maybe this time I can go far, but thinking about where I’ve been ain’t helping me start. - Michael Kiwanuka

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

Continuing:

Chapter 7: endgame!
At last we find out who the Eye of Adam is, and the name couldn’t be more fitting. It also raises an interesting question as to his father’s involvement in everything, as he must’ve been the one to install the fish tank in the first place. Maybe he went through with it in a “I’ll put my own life on the line in hope of redeeming my son and making him forsake his plan, or I’ll die and end the suffering that comes with seeing your son become a monster” kind of way???
The end game was heartbreaking and I felt really sorry for the old man as he clearly thought he could get his son to stop.
The decisions I made: [spoiler]I gave the mask to Mitzi, I’m immortal after all, so the gas won’t kill me. I refused to blow out the final candle because the Queen of Maggots can go stuff herself. I convinced Mitzi not to kill The Eye of Adam, I didn’t want her to become a killer - that was my job - and I definitely didn’t want her to die (and The Eye of Adam to win). Plus, leaving him alive but without his computer basically sentences him to a fate worse than death - “he has no mouth and he must scream”. Wink[/spoiler]
My end result: Susan gets six more months with Mitzi before she dies of cancer, and she gets over her depression by helping others online.
It’s a bittersweet ending that perfectly rounds off the game for me.

In the meantime I’ve watched a YouTube video of the golden ending (that I missed solely because I ignored Liz the first time after my nightmare so I missed her first question). In that ending, Mitzi miraculously gets better and survives. It was a bit too lovey-dovey and hokey for my taste - I like the ‘good’ ending better.

I’ll replay the last chapter a few more times to see a couple of the other endings (and do stuff like taking the mask for myself, blowing out a candle, allowing Mitzi to shoot, etc.) to see what changes. I’ve reached ‘my’ ending during my playthrough, though, and I think it’s perfect as is.

In fact, the sheer awesomeness of the music in this game, as well as the artistry throughout, the great writing (seriously, has depression ever been this well-written?), great characters (especially Mitzi), and superb execution of the game make this one of the better 4.5/5 games for me. That officially makes The Cat Lady the latest addition to my all-time top 10. Yes, it is just that good! Cool

A question for Rem: I noticed your picture in The Eye of Adam‘s room, next to one that looks a bit like you as well (Micamic, I reckon?). The one on the left then is James Spanos??? Are any of the others (the ones in front that are blurred more) also from the dev or voice acting team??? Just curious.

Anyway, congrats on this fantastic game!!!
And thanks for joining this community playthrough!!!

Final remark: after my choices in the endgame, Susan appeared alive in the room of The Eye of Adam with the remark “Tomato.” (the “think of a vegetable” answer). I thought that was an amazing moment, showcasing a badass remark in a heartwarming package. It didn’t even make me think of this reference which is what that remark normally should do for me. Bonus points for getting me so immersed that I totally missed this link… Cool Grin

And now excuse me, I have several pages of The Cat Lady spoiler posts to read and reply to. Grin

The truth can’t hurt you, it’s just like the dark: it scares you witless but in time you see things clear and stark. - Elvis Costello
Maybe this time I can be strong, but since I know who I am, I’m probably wrong. Maybe this time I can go far, but thinking about where I’ve been ain’t helping me start. - Michael Kiwanuka

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

SoccerDude28 - 23 July 2015 12:23 PM

My take on that is that the woman is shitbat crazy, so to her, seeing Susan reanimate is not as weird as it is to a sane person.

That and the fact that the way she walks resembles the way Susan did when they doped her in the hospital. So either she’s a zombie Tongue or she’s drugged up.

Rem - 23 July 2015 04:07 PM

I strongly believe that not everything needs to be fully explained. Sometimes, it’s enough to plant a seed and let imagination take care of the rest;)

I agree. Nothing is scarier than what our own imagination comes up with.

Noddy - 24 July 2015 05:58 AM

Really enjoyed Chapter 6, got me good on two occasions: -
The TV switching on after passing it in Joe’s.
The first time you speak to Joe’s wife!

Mikekelly - 24 July 2015 10:40 PM

The first time you speak to Joe’s wife!

Yes, the game got me AGAIN here. Didn’t see this coming at all.

Iznogood - 25 July 2015 03:19 AM

There is no way [spoiler]cats would attack in flock like this, in fact there is no way cats would attack someone about 20 times their own size, normally they won’t even kill rats because they are too big. Scratch and bite someone if cornered or in a grumpy mood, eat an already dead body if hungry enough, sure, but this is just pure fiction .. Now dogs on the other hand Tongue[/spoiler]

Going Psycho on your own shadow Thumbs Up

SoccerDude28 - 26 July 2015 12:51 PM

That Misery part made the hair on the back of my neck stand. It was the first time I got really freaked out. It was actually so intense that my wife, who heard it through my headphones came out of the other room to ask me if I said something, and that it also made the hair on the back of her neck stand.

Iznogood - 28 July 2015 12:24 PM

In fact before you mentioned it, I didn’t even know it was possible. I also don’t know what you have to do to “magically” cure her of her cancer, avoid the panic attack? I did that, but not on the save file that I decided to continue with.
Either way, I’m not really a fan of Mitzi surviving, that is just too much Hollywood ending for my taste.

Sefir - 28 July 2015 01:04 PM

You have to do a number of “right” moves within the game, like rejecting The Queen of Maggots from the first time, not having a panic attack in Chapter 3, listen to Liz, solving the riddle of the crow, refusing to blow the candle in the end, etc. But in the end, I agree with you that it is too good for my taste.

QFT.
Great minds think alike? Tongue

SoccerDude28 - 26 July 2015 12:55 PM

I think it’s a little bit of a bummer that there was an expectation by the developer to play the first game. I’d love to play the first game, and I’m all for cameos, but it should have been subtle, and not so pronounced that you would not understand what the hell was happening if you haven’t played the prior game. It was the low point of chapter 6 (and probably the whole game so far) because it took away from my immersion.

Actually, such a big part of this game is surreal, that the entire Joe Davis sequence offers both a glimpse into his insanity as well as driving the point home that Susan isn’t well yet either. And like I said, not having played Downfall might be an advantage because you just don’t have a clue what’s going on (instead of being able to link it and still failing to understand)... Smile

Sefir - 26 July 2015 08:33 PM

I disagree that someone has to play Downfall first to understand what is going on in The Cat Lady.
Downfall is even more surealistic than The Cat Lady and as I already mentioned, The Cat Lady has already many parts (not including any Downfall cameos) that are very surrealistic themselves and hard to understand what is going on anyway. I would go as far as saying that I consider not having any idea of Downfall an advantage, considering that the Joe Davis part is also a very tense and scary part of the game. Makes you feel EXACTLY the way Susan would.

^ This.

millenia - 27 July 2015 07:27 PM

And btw, at least here in Finland we can call the emergency hotline even without a sim card.

I thought most cell phones don’t work at all without a sim card???

Sefir - 28 July 2015 04:12 AM

And when you do finish the game, here is a small reward for you to watch. A small video (made for the Cat Lady green light Steam release) with a scene that happens just a little after the events in the game. It has some really funny moments.

Well, that was fun, thanks for the link! Cool

MISERY!!! My favorite scene in the entire game. One that I doubt you’ll forget that easy. Also, whoever hasn’t seen the 1990 movie (based on the Stephen King novel) with Kathy Bates stop here and go straight to your videostore. It is an amazing movie.

I totally support this endorsement. Thumbs Up

Iznogood - 30 July 2015 12:58 PM

This is most likely something that he has done many times before!
The gas mask was most likely bought so he could be together with his son, when he decided to commit suicide. But not actually wanting or being ready to watch his son die, he has refused to put it on or simply leave the flat, thereby depriving his son the one thing that he wants, to die!
Imagine this taking place over some time, and it would have evolved into a love / hate relationship, and a case where they are mutually the hostage of each other, until of course everything escalates to the point where Adam just takes everybody that he can down with him.

Interesting take. There could be something to it…

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

At this point I should also probably let you know that The Cat Lady was made on a budget of… $0. The many people who have contributed in its development have either done it for free or received small payment some time after the release. I made the game in the corner of my living room, in between working in the hospital and being a dad, and in that sense it is a true indie game. It survived two hard drive failures, when I almost lost everything I’d made to that point… (forgetting to make back-up copies is one of my biggest problems…;))

Wow, that’s mindboggling! Where on earth did you find the time???
Also, save early, save often. Smile

Its relative success now enabled me to ditch the day job, move, and make games full-time. It’s only been a few months so far… but it’s actually fantastic so far, and I’m loving my life!;)

Congrats! Cool

Take care, and hopefully see you at Downfall (remake) Community Walkthrough some time in the future!;)

After this CPT? I think Downfall would probably get a lot of votes…

Total Posts: 2989

Joined 2012-03-09

PM

Personally, I’m nothing like grumpy Susan. I’ve always been a happy person, even though I’ve too been through a lot of dark moments.

But did you make any research or had any other personal experiences about depression? Susan’s character wass extremely well-written for someone with no idea about that matter.

Mikekelly - 31 July 2015 05:00 PM

Sefir once again brings a developer to a CP.

Thank you, but this was a rare occasion where the developer came all by himself!! I didn’t even know that Rem was a member in the AG forums to invite him until his appearence in the playthrough!!

Mikekelly - 31 July 2015 05:00 PM

I really enjoy reading the developers posts - it really adds insite to playing the game.

The presence of a game’s developer improves VASTLY a playthrough’s quality. It is no coincidence that my 3 favorite AGCPs that I led are Callahan’s, Scratches and this one.

TimovieMan - 31 July 2015 05:13 PM

When we got the green light to finish the game, I was still 3/4 of the way through Chapter 6 and I hadn’t written anything about Chapter 5 here either because, well, I wanted to avoid spoilers so I avoided this thread like the plague. Still have, so I’ll give my opinion on Ch. 5, 6 and 7 and only then read these last few pages.

...I admit that the thought that you might have followed the playthrough until nearly the end and then you stopped for whatever reason like in TWW and Scratches, did cross my mind….

Pardon me in advance if this becomes another multi-parter “wall of text” post. Wink

Nah, I expect you to write one for the Scratches AGCP too. Tongue

The Joe Davis sequence was very troubling….

Trivia: I suspect that the wedding dress that Susan usd in the Cat Widow legend was actually Ivy’s. Susan’s comment about “Not even a skeleton would fit in there” and the Quiet Haven hotel sign in the wall behind makes me think of that….

TimovieMan - 31 July 2015 05:14 PM

In fact, the sheer awesomeness of the music in this game, as well as the artistry throughout, the great writing (seriously, has depression ever been this well-written?), great characters (especially Mitzi), and superb execution of the game make this one of the better 4.5/5 games for me. That officially makes The Cat Lady the latest addition to my all-time top 10. Yes, it is just that good! Cool

Haven’t seen you that enthusiastic for a game since 2013  Smile

I was also thinking something along the same lines. His farther most likely in the beginning didn’t know about what he was doing with his computer and the suicide site, but he must have helped him set up the whole death trap in the form of the fish tank, and there is absolutely no way he could have done that, without knowing or at the very least suspecting the purpose behind it. So it has to have been installed with the explicit purpose of giving Adam a way to commit suicide, if or when he wanted to.

There is also another possibility. That the old man really had no idea what was going on!! He had no big experience with technology except basic stuff. Probably he just followed Adam’s orders with fatherly care. For example, which one of you knew beforehand about the deadly pesticide/bleach mix in Chapter 2? Without special know-how there is no chance the old man knew about the deadly trap, even if he was the one to prepare it.

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

Sefir - 01 August 2015 03:07 AM

...I admit that the thought that you might have followed the playthrough until nearly the end and then you stopped for whatever reason like in TWW and Scratches, did cross my mind….

Well, in TWW I fell behind almost immediately and only reached chapter 2 in total, and I haven’t made any progress since then so I decided to abandon it completely and get back to it once I actually reach it in my playlist (which at my current place will be sometime after my retirement in 30+ years Shifty Eyed).
I’m still playing Scratches (I’ve found the key and entered the chapel on the last day). I WILL complete that one.
And here it’s odd that I actually fell behind, because I reached Joe Davis’s apartment last Tuesday, and then it took me a full week to find enough time to simply advance to the Rita Tickle conversation… Shifty Eyed

Nah, I expect you write one for the Scratches AGCP too. Tongue

Yeah, I probably will. Smile

Haven’t seen you that enthusiastic for a game since 2013  Smile

You mean since earlier this year. Wink

I now have a completed top-10! Cool

1. The Curse of Monkey Island
2-6. Indiana Jones and the Fate of Atlantis
2-6. Day of the Tentacle
2-6. Full Throttle
2-6. Grim Fandango
2-6. Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney
7-10. The Dig
7-10. Toonstruck
7-10. Callahan’s Crosstime Saloon
7-10. The Cat Lady

Note: 2-6 and 7-10 in order of release date, not an actual order of preference.

The Cat Lady is the most recent game on there! Cool

There is also another possibility. That the old man really had no idea what was going on!! He had no big experience with technology except basic stuff. Probably he just followed Adam’s orders with fatherly care. For example, which one of you knew beforehand about the deadly pesticide/bleach mix in Chapter 2? Without special know-how there is no chance the old man knew about the deadly trap, even if he was the one to prepare it.

Well, I know it’s possible to do (as is making an explosive compound), and I know that bleach is involved, so I might have put two and two together. But yeah, good point.

Several theories are possible, so the entire idea isn’t farfetched at all.

Total Posts: 3933

Joined 2011-03-14

PM

Sefir - 01 August 2015 03:07 AM

I absolutely knew [spoiler]that mixing household chemicals can produce toxic gasses.
They even print it on the bottles to warn people NOT to do it!
BTW: I don’t think that mixing the bleach with pesticide is the “correct” solution, at least not if the purpose is to produce chlorine gas, which is highly toxic and was used in WW1 as a chemical weapon.[/spoiler]

More importantly, setting up a fish tank with two bottles of chemicals that are connected to the computer?! There is absolutely no way anyone can set that up, without at least suspecting the purpose. But even if he through gross ignorance didn’t knew or suspected it when he installed it, he most certainly know the purpose when we meet him in the game.

TimovieMan - 31 July 2015 08:58 PM
millenia - 27 July 2015 07:27 PM

And btw, at least here in Finland we can call the emergency hotline even without a sim card.

I thought most cell phones don’t work at all without a sim card???

I believe that at least here in Denmark, it is required by law that you have to be able to call 112 without a sim card.

Edit: Now of course if he had called the emergency hotline, and gotten the same operator that Susan talked to earlier, then it wouldn’t have made any difference at all Tongue

You have to play the game, to find out why you are playing the game! - eXistenZ

Total Posts: 2704

Joined 2004-08-02

PM

Just had the chance to finish the game today, and it is truly a classic. Overall, an amazing game and an amazing playthrough. Big thanks to Rem for providing us with a wonderful game and for taking time to give some intriguing comments about the development process. Also big thanks to Sefir for leading the playthrough, and giving us some wonderful insights that I had no idea about (like the whole Maniac Mansion comparison, the Downfall connection, how to get Miss A not to get overwhelmed, and the fact that Mitzy can live at the end, though seems no one here in their play through was able to replicate that ending.

It’s usually not the type of game I am into(I like more light hearted games), but this game is more than just about gore and scares. It is about some amazing themes that I don’t remember seeing before in games like depression, suicide, and cancer. Having suffered from depression before, I really can relate to Susan and her feelings. It all feels so genuine because it is stuff I have all experienced before, which begs me to ask the question to Rem: If you are a pretty happy fellow in your life, how did you understand and portray the feeling of depression in such an accurate manner? Did you speak to psychologists about it, is that something you picked up from the hospital, did you research it? Just think you did an amazing job capturing the feeling.

Also another question in general to anyone who has finished the game:
Knowing that the queen of maggots was a representation of Susan’s depression, how did Susan go back to life after every time she died? Because the fact that she dies, and Misty sees her come back again make it feel like this whole other world actually exists.

Total Posts: 16

Joined 2012-12-22

PM

Some of you asked how I know these things about depression… The answer is simple: I live with someone who has it.

She still says I don’t understand anything about it;)

Total Posts: 2704

Joined 2004-08-02

PM

Rem - 01 August 2015 06:06 PM

Some of you asked how I know these things about depression… The answer is simple: I live with someone who has it.

She still says I don’t understand anything about it;)

She should play your game Grin

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top