• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

AG Community Playthrough #32: Toonstruck

Total Posts: 8471

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

Completed the cutifier, watched fifteen minutes of cutscene, escaped the jail, talked to the clown. Now I’m looking for Ray. Tongue

Seedy in his tutu was hilarious. And icky enough to remind me of Ren & Stimpy. The same goes for Snout. It’s really like I’m playing a cartoon instead of a game, and it’s glorious. Cool

Some sneaky puzzles - needing the [spoiler]second prize at fish flushing[/spoiler] was devious, as was obtaining the stars (those took me a while to even think of trying to obtain them)...

The truth can’t hurt you, it’s just like the dark: it scares you witless but in time you see things clear and stark. - Elvis Costello
Maybe this time I can be strong, but since I know who I am, I’m probably wrong. Maybe this time I can go far, but thinking about where I’ve been ain’t helping me start. - Michael Kiwanuka

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

diego - 12 April 2015 06:34 AM

I’m stuck at Ray’s crate - I totally forgot how’s it opened. Well, I think I’m missing an item…)

If you’re still stuck there, then I can tell you that reaching that point means you DO have the necessary item. But you may not have it on you at the time. Wink

I’m well on my way to completing the game: found Ray, took care of a certain clown, a certain fish, a whole bunch of crocodiles (man, those cutscenes are great! I’m having a blast with them!), trashed an entire room, and reached the top floor where Ms. Fortune’s security panel keeps pounding me with a 13 1/2 ton weight…

I’ve had some difficulties in this section, and they were all related to missing certain hotspots. I missed the gargoyle’s horn, I missed the bathroom sink plug and taps, I missed the armor’s gauntlet, and I even missed the sunglasses at first (until I saw them sparkle)...

The gargoyle puzzle was devious, btw. My kinda thing. Made me ‘a-ha’ after failing several times. Cool
Reminded me a bit of the entrance to Shana’s puzzle in The Whispered World. Tongue

Becky - 01 April 2015 10:57 PM

I just finished finding the carecrow an outfit. It took seven tries. My favorite refusal was the Bishop’s costume, which the carecrow refused because he thought it was for a woman.

Wait, you get a unique response each time? Darnit, now I wish I’d deliberately tried all the wrong ones first. I got it right on my second try. I thought I’d get the same answer each time…

Also, seeing the crocodiles enter the bathroom the first time made me realize that I could get captured if I were slow enough (they didn’t catch me, though, they burst in while I was near the vent). Does that mean that those ‘Three Stooges’ could have captured me in the costume shop and at Seedy’s as well? I instinctively hid and got away. I figured they’d only enter after I found a hiding place, but I was quick about it nonetheless, so they never caught me…

In fact, I have only been captured once in this game, and that was in the mid-game cutscene, so through no fault of mine. Tongue

The truth can’t hurt you, it’s just like the dark: it scares you witless but in time you see things clear and stark. - Elvis Costello
Maybe this time I can be strong, but since I know who I am, I’m probably wrong. Maybe this time I can go far, but thinking about where I’ve been ain’t helping me start. - Michael Kiwanuka

Total Posts: 5589

Joined 2008-01-09

PM

I picked the correct costume for the carecrow right away (It just seemed right.) and was wondering if any of them would have worked.  The next time I play this I’ll have to try them all.

“Rainy days should be spent at home with a cup of tea and a good book.” -Bill Watterson

Total Posts: 6590

Joined 2007-07-22

PM

Snout - Get caught 3 times, and he’ll bring on the vacuum cleaner!

Myna Bird - Terrible at giving hints.

Feedback - The leader of the Nefarious’ COMPETENT trio henchmen.

Lugnut - The biggest, the whiniest. 

Goggles - It’s that skinny, snooty guy!

Suit of Armor - I’m not sure if it’s for dueling… or disco.

Robochef - What a rusty pile of junk!

Gator Guards - Terrible at skating!

Snoozing Gator Guard - Sleeping beauty.

Flyman -No superhero film yet?!

Venus Flytrap - Pansies are for pansies.

Rec Room Guards - Unwinding after a hard day’s malevolence.

Ray - Oh, toad stool!

Spike - Kiss me, fat boy! (Wait, it’s not Tim Curry’s turn yet!)

Ms. Fortune - Meet her, and you’ll have the dance of your life! (Wasn’t Drew great at dancing, or what?!)

Count Nefarious - The good guy in the game. When you’ve seen Tim Curry playing a villain?! Grin

Recently finished: Four Last Things 4/5, Edna & Harvey: The Breakout 5/5, Chains of Satinav 3,95/5, A Vampyre Story 88, Sam Peters 3/5, Broken Sword 1 4,5/5, Broken Sword 2 4,3/5, Broken Sword 3 85, Broken Sword 5 81, Gray Matter 4/5\nCurrently playing: Broken Sword 4, Keepsake (Let\‘s Play), Callahan\‘s Crosstime Saloon (post-Community Playthrough)\nLooking forward to: A Playwright’s Tale

Total Posts: 1573

Joined 2003-09-10

PM

Tim—I’m pretty sure that I got a unique response to each wrong costume. Usually it included a hint as to why that particular costume didn’t suit the carecrow’s taste or other requirements (he does give a couple of instructions about the costume in the beginning).

You must have been very fast if you never got caught by the henchbots!

I must say, this game has finally won me over. The dance sequence clinched it. I’m putting in my vote for the sequel.

Joined 2007-07-22

PM

TimovieMan - 16 April 2015 07:26 PM

Does that mean that those ‘Three Stooges’ could have captured me in the costume shop and at Seedy’s as well?

Sure. Not only the costume shop, but two other places in Cutopia as well (the one with the “places to hide”). Along with different henchmen’s comments on why they think you’re hiding exactly at that place (“Perhaps the fugitives are at the Costume Shop, procuring garments with which to disguise themselves” Grin )

Becky - 17 April 2015 11:07 AM

he does give a couple of instructions about the costume in the beginning

A couple?! It’s the most demanding scarecrow I’ve ever seen! Wink

Recently finished: Four Last Things 4/5, Edna & Harvey: The Breakout 5/5, Chains of Satinav 3,95/5, A Vampyre Story 88, Sam Peters 3/5, Broken Sword 1 4,5/5, Broken Sword 2 4,3/5, Broken Sword 3 85, Broken Sword 5 81, Gray Matter 4/5\nCurrently playing: Broken Sword 4, Keepsake (Let\‘s Play), Callahan\‘s Crosstime Saloon (post-Community Playthrough)\nLooking forward to: A Playwright’s Tale

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

Finished the game. Drew’s Hypno-dance was absolutely hilarious!!! Grin

Sadly, there was no use for the helium-filled glove in my inventory. I felt like there was probably a good gag in there…

I liked the ending cutscene. Sure, it’s a bit fast in it’s resolution (especially in taking care of Nefarius and King Fluffy Fluffy Bun Hugh), and I would’ve liked Drew to gain some more character development and tell Schmaltz to stuff if, but it’s perfectly acceptable.

The lack of a sequel makes the ending cliffhanger feel like the one from the first Back to the Future movie - they never intended a sequel originally. Fun to see they didn’t opt for the “it was all just a dream” shtick after all.
Also, the shouting match between Flux and Drew while falling near the end had shades of Back to the Future as well. I totally imagined Flux shouting “Drew, I have to tell you about the future!Grin

All in all, this has been an absolutely awesome game, and the latest addition to my top 10 (the 7-9 range, with The Dig and Callahan’s Crosstime Saloon). Cool
The many amazingly funny cutscenes are the main attraction here, imo.

Btw, did anyone try to use the gauntlet to take the fish’s treasure chest? What’s Drew’s response? I got it before obtaining the gauntlet and I feel like the gauntlet would’ve been a logical thing to use…

diego - 17 April 2015 10:46 AM

What? Darnit, I knew I should’ve deliberately get caught a few times… Frown

Myna Bird - Terrible at giving hints.

Not that terrible, imo. Solved the book puzzle on the first try.

Suit of Armor - I’m not sure if it’s for dueling… or disco.

One of the many great lines in the game. Grin

Ray - Oh, toad stool!

Not really a Malevolander, though, is he? Wink

Count Nefarious - The good guy in the game. When you’ve seen Tim Curry playing a villain?! Grin

Tim Curry doesn’t play villains. He plays interesting people. Smile

Becky - 17 April 2015 11:07 AM

You must have been very fast if you never got caught by the henchbots!

Not that fast, imo, but the escape route was obvious each time. In fact, a lot of the puzzles in this game felt intuitive. Obtaining a certain inventory item after having found the puzzle it’s used on nearly always lead me to the correct answer instantly. Good puzzle design?

The dance sequence cinched it.

The dance sequence was awesome! Smile

diego - 17 April 2015 11:15 AM

Sure. Not only the costume shop, but two other places in Cutopia as well (the one with the “places to hide”). Along with different henchmen’s comments on why they think you’re hiding exactly at that place (“Perhaps the fugitives are at the Costume Shop, procuring garments with which to disguise themselves” Grin )

Only encountered them at the costume shop and at Seedy’s.
What happens when they capture you?

Total Posts: 2704

Joined 2004-08-02

PM

TimovieMan - 17 April 2015 12:03 PM
diego - 17 April 2015 10:46 AM

What? Darnit, I knew I should’ve deliberately get caught a few times… Frown

That was a really funny part. If you have a save game, go and check it out (or watch a youtube playthrough). It’s really funny to see how Drew Outwits Snout every time.

Total Posts: 8998

Joined 2004-01-05

PM

Only encountered them at the costume shop and at Seedy’s.
What happens when they capture you?

You go to prison Smile

Btw, those Snout sequences are really a top detail in the game

Joined 2007-07-22

PM

Aaaaand… well done boys and girls (shame on you, Karlok and Zobraks! Naughty Yum Kiss) - the playthrough is over!

Thanx everyone for being a great Toonstruck party, I thoroughly enjoyed replaying the game, and sharing comments with you. It was my 3rd time playing, and amazingly, each time the game succeeded in surprising me (the time between replays, and better acknowledgement of some jokes, puns, expressions… has also something to do with it). It was also interesting to note how the first-timers react to the game, its world and many characters, cutscenes…

TimovieMan - 16 April 2015 07:26 PM

If you’re still stuck there, then I can tell you that reaching that point means you DO have the necessary item. But you may not have it on you at the time. Wink

It was the only time I surrendered and looked at the UHS! (even though I’ve solved it before! Talk about amnesia…). It was all a cakewalk from there…

Joined 2007-07-22

PM

Ray - Oh, toad stool!

Not really a Malevolander, though, is he? Wink

Nope, but this batch included all the castle inhabitants anyhow, so I thought Ray’d fit. Tongue

Becky - 13 April 2015 12:19 PM

The note shows up if you end up back in your cell so often that Snout gives up entirely. The note tells you that the key is under the welcome mat. Interestingly, though Snout has gone, his hotspot next to the wall where he lands when he sneezes is still active.

Hahah… brilliant! Thumbs Up I thought the vacuum cleaner is the pinnacle of the puzzle Grin

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

SoccerDude28 - 17 April 2015 12:53 PM

That was a really funny part. If you have a save game, go and check it out (or watch a youtube playthrough). It’s really funny to see how Drew Outwits Snout every time.

I just did. Watched that YouTube video of being caught by the Three Stooges, and watched the Hypno-Dance a few times to see the different Snout escapes (I had only done the first one and the gas mask, so I missed the vacuum cleaner and the note). Great stuff!

diego - 17 April 2015 04:49 PM

Aaaaand… well done boys and girls (shame on you, Karlok and Zobraks! Naughty Yum Kiss) - the playthrough is over!

Phew, made it in the nick of time. Grin

Thanks for leading the playthrough, diego! And thanks, everyone, for the fun comments. This game has been an absolute delight - I really should’ve bought it 19 years ago…

Also, no wonder the voice acting is so good! I just took a good look at the cast list, and these are all people who are well-known Hollywood voice actors.
This must’ve been an expensive game, back in the day… Gasp

Total Posts: 8998

Joined 2004-01-05

PM

TimovieMan - 17 April 2015 06:24 PM

Also, no wonder the voice acting is so good! I just took a good look at the cast list, and these are all people who are well-known Hollywood voice actors.
This must’ve been an expensive game, back in the day… Gasp

Don’t know if mobygames info is correct but it may have gone a bit overbudget:

The project began in October ‘93 and was completed over three years later in November ‘96. The total cost of production: over $8 million. The animation was produced at unnecessarily high levels of sophistication, exceeding even Disney movie quality. However, only 35% of this animation made it into the finished game. The game’s engine was based off of Westwood’s Kyrandia series’ engine, and required the project’s team to spend an extra 18 months ironing out bugs and glitches.

That’s…

I don’t think we’l ever see a sequel but at least we got to the first part and what a game it is! As good or even better then the first time I played at release

Thanks diego for leading and all the participants for a enjoyable playthrough

Total Posts: 1573

Joined 2003-09-10

PM

Diego—thanks for the amusing playthrough! I’ve always been curious about this game, and now I finally got the chance to play it.  Thumbs Up

Joined 2007-07-22

PM

Toonstruck is free on GOG currently.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top