• Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums
continue reading below

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

[Archived] Time for a new community playthrough?

Total Posts: 442

Joined 2006-06-14

PM

I’m up for Obsidian and hope it doesn’t take too long to chose a game.

IHNM would be second choice.

Total Posts: 173

Joined 2012-08-06

PM

Bonsai - 06 July 2013 04:19 PM
millenia - 06 July 2013 04:03 PM

As fas as I know, both IHNMAIMS and Discworld are abandonware.

There are plenty of copies on Ebay & Amazon.

Yes, but that doesn’t mean they’re not abandonware aka “stuff on the internet that probably shouldn’t be there but who really cares anyway.”

OK, I did find Discworld (1)and I will check it out.

Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day.

Give a man a rod and he will sit on a boat and drink beer all day. - USA Network

Total Posts: 2996

Joined 2012-03-09

PM

For those who are worried about how to run older games like Obsidian, TDE, IHNMAIMS or Disc (ALL the proposed games so far are somwhat old! Interesting…) you should probably look for some kind of emulator like Virtual PC to emulate the appropriate environent (Win 95, etc). These kinds of emulators have saved me more than once…

Dara100 - 06 July 2013 04:52 PM

I hope it doesn’t take too long to chose a game.

The official voting starts on Monday and will last more-or-less for a week.

RayB - 06 July 2013 05:10 PM
Bonsai - 06 July 2013 04:19 PM
millenia - 06 July 2013 04:03 PM

As fas as I know, both IHNMAIMS and Discworld are abandonware.

There are plenty of copies on Ebay & Amazon.

Yes, but that doesn’t mean they’re not abandonware aka “stuff on the internet that probably shouldn’t be there but who really cares anyway.”

The ones who sell it do care. And some admins here do care as well. There is HUGE difference between abandonware and freeware. It goes without saying that this forum’s policy (and the playthroughs in it) support legal obtaining of games and goes against piracy,etc…
That’s why only legal ways of obtaining the proposed games (Amazon, Ebay,etc) are written.

Total Posts: 1368

Joined 2012-09-28

PM

Sefir - 06 July 2013 05:32 PM

The ones who sell it do care. And some admins here do care as well.

He’s talking about the devs. But I can understand why the admins don’t like discussion of abandonware here. Perhaps the best policy would be a “wink, wink” statement that we’re all against abandonware while admitting if does the devs no harm then do it but don’t talk about it.

That stuff on ebay is probably fake or 2nd hand anyway. How can there be still unsold original copies of Discworld?

Total Posts: 473

Joined 2008-01-09

PM

Zifnab - 06 July 2013 07:28 PM

That stuff on ebay is probably fake or 2nd hand anyway.

Obviously you have never bought games on Ebay or Amazon because you can easily find out who the reputable dealers are. You want an original, never played game?  They’re there as well as the used ones.

So what source do you use when, for example, you play The Space Bar if you don’t use Ebay, Amazon etc…? 

EDIT:  Ooops!  Better check with another sales source before posting this…will be back.

Joined 2012-09-28

PM

Bonsai - 06 July 2013 07:47 PM

So what source do you use when, for example, you play The Space Bar if you don’t use Ebay, Amazon etc…?

I download it illegally and send a $10 note to the developer. Keeps my conscience clean.

Joined 2008-01-09

PM

Zifnab - 06 July 2013 08:02 PM

I download it illegally and send a $10 note to the developer. Keeps my conscience clean.

Haha….funny.  See my edit above.

Joined 2012-09-28

PM

EDIT:  If you feel more comfortable buying directly from another Adventure Gamer….someone is selling some pretty good games:

Game Sale

I don’t feel more comfortable. I’m not a pirate really but if I have two choices
1. Not giving money to the developer
2. Not giving money to the developer and doing something possibly illegal that no one cares about because it harms no one,

i can see why the second would be no less appealing than the first, if it involves not having to wait 2 weeks for a box being sent to you.

So why don’t YOU feel bad for buying 2nd hand games?

Joined 2008-01-09

PM

Zifnab - 06 July 2013 08:09 PM

So why don’t YOU feel bad for buying 2nd hand games?

I don’t.  I didn’t get a copy of a free game from an unknown guy with an avatar of a Guy Fawkes Mask on a warez site…....... I “purchased it.”

I am going to stop and not derail this thread.

Total Posts: 1555

Joined 2005-12-06

PM

If someone wants to pay 30$ to some dude for an old used game and possibly another 20$ to get it shipped to the other side of the world they can surely feel good about themselves but I don’t think it really makes anyone a saint. I would definitely want to support the original makers rather than some greedy ebay seller.

Anyway, does anyone know who currently has the rights (or does anyone) for the Discworld games and IHNMAIMS and even Obsidian? Is there any possibility to see them on GOG on some day? I’m not sure it really effects anything but you could go and vote for these games on GOG community wishlist.

Currently Playing: Dragon Age Origins: Awakening
Recently Played: Red Embrace: Hollywood, Dorfromantik, Heirs & Graces, AI: The Somnium Files, PRICE, Frostpunk, The Shapeshifting Detective (CPT), Disco Elysium, Dream Daddy, Four Last Things, Jenny LeClue - Detectivu, The Signifier

Total Posts: 5053

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

If the games in question are the only playthrough candidates, I think I will pass on this one. The ability to play any of them “right out of the box” does not seem possible. And doing a DosBox or Virtual Machine to install an OS I no longer have access to seems too much a bother.

When the next game comes up that will run on Win7 I’m all in.

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

Total Posts: 173

Joined 2012-08-06

PM

I was going to say something earlier but due to the sensitivity of the subject matter decided to refrain. What I can say though is that aside from the occasional private sale (noted above) there isn’t a whole lot of inventory on the major sites. If you want new you’d better be a collector and you would never remove the item from its original packaging.

The Dark Eye 200 USD
IHNM 104 USD

Sefir - 06 July 2013 05:32 PM

The ones who sell it do care.

I don’t disagree with that. It’s just that I don’t have all that much pity for the seller offering a used copy of IHNM for 64 USD and that’s the cheapest I could find. I don’t have the information but if the game originally sold for that then I am wrong.

Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day.

Give a man a rod and he will sit on a boat and drink beer all day. - USA Network

Total Posts: 4011

Joined 2011-04-01

PM

rtrooney - 06 July 2013 08:53 PM

If the games in question are the only playthrough candidates, I think I will pass on this one. The ability to play any of them “right out of the box” does not seem possible.

What do you mean? Dosbox works great with Discworld and IHNMAIMS. Or do you mean you can’t get the box versions?

Total Posts: 5053

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

See my edit.

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

Total Posts: 4011

Joined 2011-04-01

PM

Oh, okay. I agree with you about VirtualPC but DOSbox is easy if you use a front-end program with it. It now takes me 30 seconds to set up a DOS game and one click to run it.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top