• Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums
continue reading below

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Veovis

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

The Witness - any special moments for you? (Spoilers)

Total Posts: 401

Joined 2003-09-16

PM

I know there is a thread about this game, but I couldn’t find it on the search. This isn’t so much about the solving of the puzzles, but more about the things I’ve found and seen around the island.
An update, and yes, I’m still playing this game. That is how massive it is. I did take a break for about 2 months over the holidays, but I am back at it when I get some time. For the record, I’ve completed about 400 of the 600 or so available puzzles, and there is still a chunk of real estate I haven’t cracked yet. What is amazing about this game is the way it changes your perception as you work through the different sections. I went back to areas I had ‘completed’ and found details that I just would not have noticed before. I think this is what everyone who experiences the game talks about when they say the developer wants the game process to change you. Maybe I am being too philosophical, but I can’t praise this game enough. The puzzles are the smallest part of it.

So best gems so far for me are:
the burnt tree vignette with the man on top starting a fire with a stick
The dog
The crocodile in the pond
The harpy carving in the mesa area
The play of shadows, like the juggler in the square and the reacher for the goblet on the beach
The pillows and refreshments that look like some one just got up
The painter

I keep finding things, and so spend more time exploring nooks and crannies and taking slow boat rides around the island. It had become my new Uru, a place to go and escape.

Total Posts: 7446

Joined 2013-08-26

PM

colpet - 05 March 2017 08:13 AM

What is amazing about this game is the way it changes your perception as you work through the different sections. I went back to areas I had ‘completed’ and found details that I just would not have noticed before. I think this is what everyone who experiences the game talks about when they say the developer wants the game process to change you.

I agree one hundred percent. It’s all about changing your perception.

My gems:

The moment I discovered the second type of puzzle. Holy shit!
The kneeling man trying to reach the grail that his shadow can only touch because the man is kneeling. I found that very moving. (Someone at another forum pointed out that from a different angle the shadow looks like an athlete winning a cup.) 
The shock of suddenly noticing the all-knowing Buddha eyes looking at me through the window in the pottery.
The crown and angel wing shadows in the old church windows.
Most audio tapes, including their relation to the puzzles and the environment.

Butter my buns and call me a biscuit! - Agent A

Total Posts: 8998

Joined 2004-01-05

PM

Karlok - 05 March 2017 08:43 AM

The moment I discovered the second type of puzzle. Holy shit!

This, and immediately felling overwhelmed after with the sense that I would never solve everything…
Discovering how all puzzle types worked was also great with all coming together at the last tower.
And of course that secret ending after restarting the game…

Joined 2013-08-26

PM

I hope you won’t take this the wrong way, Wilco, but that gate is a real spoiler.

EDIT: I take it back, the title has the word spoilers in it.

Joined 2004-01-05

PM

Karlok - 05 March 2017 09:26 AM

I hope you won’t take this the wrong way, Wilco, but that gate is a real spoiler.

EDIT: I take it back, the title has the word spoilers in it.

Still better to take it out, even after finishing the game might be too spoilerish

Joined 2003-09-16

PM

Am am reading these at my peril because I have not yet finished the game. I am working through the Town now.
Just when I think I’ve put a dent in the puzzles, I checked my progress - only completed ~ 380. Part of me is glad there is so much more to do. I’m stuck right now, so will take a break until next weekend.

Joined 2013-08-26

PM

colpet - 05 March 2017 11:10 AM

Am am reading these at my peril because I have not yet finished the game. I am working through the Town now.
Just when I think I’ve put a dent in the puzzles, I checked my progress - only completed ~ 380. Part of me is glad there is so much more to do. I’m stuck right now, so will take a break until next weekend.

Colpet, how many different numbers do you see when you click Load Game? If there’s more than one number you should add them to get your total of completed puzzles.

Joined 2003-09-16

PM

Just one set of numbers.

Joined 2013-08-26

PM

colpet - 05 March 2017 12:25 PM

Just one set of numbers.

Cool

I envy you.

Joined 2003-09-16

PM

Karlok - 05 March 2017 12:32 PM
colpet - 05 March 2017 12:25 PM

Just one set of numbers.

Cool

I envy you.

Oh dear! Then I guess I shouldn’t feel as frustrated as I do for being stuck. Will try again next weekend.

Total Posts: 4011

Joined 2011-04-01

PM

All of the above, especially “the” moment.

The ending doesn’t get talked about a lot, but I found it extremely poetic.

But the grandest moment was, after spending hours trying to figure out what the blank panels in the forest and ruins were all about, finding that my graphics card wasn’t displaying the shadows that I needed to solve them! Had I not updated my drivers, I could still be stuck in those sections thinking I must be stupid not to be able to solve them.

Total Posts: 46

Joined 2003-11-23

PM

The Witness is a thrilling game, but also frustrating: I want to talk to people about it, share impressions on all the various type of puzzles, optional content, connections, allusions ...but I know there is a lot to discover (even though I “finished” the game once), and I want to discover it all alone, without getting spoiled.

Of course, finding my first “other” puzzle (almost randomly, too!) was a real jaw-hit-floor moment, as I imagine it must be for most players. Some of my other favourite “a-ha"s were:

* Realising how the Glasshouse works
* Seeing the whole Island together from the top of the Mountain
* Laughing at discovering my first non-human statues. [spoiler](Pigeons!) Immediately followed by the disturbing thought that maybe those aren’t really statues, then.[/spoiler]
* In the Town,
attributing each of the houses to one of the locations elsewhere on the island. (In my mind, they are homes of the Gardener, the Priest, the Archaelogist, etc., each of whom used to go to work to one particular Island’s location.)
* In the projection room,
recognizing Feynman and Burke in the movie clips
* Seeing how these two monuments I had been aware of for hours relate to each other:

Image Attachments

witness.png

This space intentionally left blank.

Total Posts: 131

Joined 2006-10-02

PM

If you forgive my impertinence one of those moments for me was discovering the boredom of the desert sun temple puzzle.
- oh this panel works the same way as the other… oh this panel too..oh this panel too…and the way to solve them means doing that boring procedure over again..once again…oh I think I get it now, thank you mr Blow…

Joined 2013-08-26

PM

smulan - 07 March 2017 04:58 AM

If you forgive my impertinence one of those moments for me was discovering the boredom of the desert sun temple puzzle.
- oh this panel works the same way as the other… oh this panel too..oh this panel too…and the way to solve them means doing that boring procedure over again..once again…oh I think I get it now, thank you mr Blow…

This may come as a surprise after all the positive things I said about the game in several threads, but I agree with you. The sun temple was one of the first areas I tackled after the introductory puzzles and the pottery (I think I did the apple trees first) and it was the reason I stopped playing. It felt like one chore after another. But I went back to the Witness after a while and became addicted.

Joined 2004-01-05

PM

Karlok - 07 March 2017 06:39 AM
smulan - 07 March 2017 04:58 AM

This may come as a surprise after all the positive things I said about the game in several threads, but I agree with you. The sun temple was one of the first areas I tackled after the introductory puzzles and the pottery (I think I did the apple trees first) and it was the reason I stopped playing. It felt like one chore after another. But I went back to the Witness after a while and became addicted.

Desert temple was also the first area I visited after the introction puzzles. I didn’t “get” the puzzle mechanic at first and just went to other places at the time only to come back much later. It was however the place where I solved my first “other kind” of puzzle!

Joined 2013-08-26

PM

wilco - 07 March 2017 10:20 AM

It was however the place where I solved my first “other kind” of puzzle!

Me too. Near the temple, not inside. It was one reason I got addicted to the game.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top