• Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums
continue reading below

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

angelus_04SefirVeovis

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Shady Brook IF Remake

Total Posts: 5835

Joined 2012-03-24

PM

Has anyone else given the game a whirl! I’ve been hooked for about 10 hours (here & there) & just finished it. Wow! I never thought I would consider it better than the original but yes! as apart from missing the voice-acting there’s more detail to the story. Even though the PC version I downloaded is uncensored there was still the choice to play in censored mode as there are otherwise some quite graphic descriptions + images which could be offensive to some!

The game for some reason made me think of the film: The Hills Have Eyes but I don’t know why?    Laughing

Total Posts: 8720

Joined 2012-01-02

PM

i ve meaning to ask you chrissie what is IF?

Joined 2012-03-24

PM

Advie - 15 August 2016 03:22 PM

i ve meaning to ask you chrissie what is IF?

Interactive Fiction Advie, sorry! we shouldn’t be so lazy as to post abbreviations - in the case of this game it’s with graphics so you do get small screenshots many of which are taken from or adapted from the original non-IF game!  Smile

Total Posts: 131

Joined 2006-10-02

PM

I’ve begun playing it. Bought it after finishing Lifestream which I liked.
Since it’s the iOS version and censored unfortunatly I’ll miss the juicy parts. :-)
Had trubble with getting in to the bedroom puzzle but solved it on my own since I have confidence in Brendel creating fair solutions, and it was, although a little farfetched. But that’s adventure gaming. Isn’t it?!

Total Posts: 4011

Joined 2011-04-01

PM

A very good remake. For $3.99USD it’s almost a must buy.

Both Lifestream and Shady Brook were on an easier level of difficulty, which is understandable considering they were designed for point & click play and not IF. Hopefully we’ll really start seeing the potential of this engine when original games begin to be made for it.

Joined 2012-03-24

PM

smulan - 16 August 2016 05:57 AM

Since it’s the iOS version and censored unfortunatly I’ll miss the juicy parts. :-)
Had trubble with getting in to the bedroom puzzle but solved it on my own since I have confidence in Brendel creating fair solutions, and it was, although a little farfetched. But that’s adventure gaming. Isn’t it?!

The original game also had a censored option, but in this IF version the game is more graphic through the text & perhaps a couple of scenes pictured & I know that the censorship just omits the more extreme (but I don’t know how much) & doesn’t detract from the story.

Yes, the means for getting into the bedroom was a little far-fetched but I managed to work it out as there was some strange logic to it - there’s a far more obscure ‘puzzle’ to work out a little later but you can access a hint for it! 

Oscar - 17 August 2016 07:53 AM

Both Lifestream and Shady Brook were on an easier level of difficulty, which is understandable considering they were designed for point & click play and not IF.

Well, as in the originals I think there’s far more to the games than immediately meets the eye so I wouldn’t be surprised that both games contain easter eggs!

Yes, in terms of game-play I agree that the current version of Shady Brook does fall on the easier level of difficulty in terms of getting through it puzzle-wise but compensated for by the inclusion of the points system (which was in the original but not in Lifestream), the choices that can change events (if not the ending?) & the achievements which mostly include what you need to do to progress through the game but with the addition of some which have eluded me so far & which probably involve making different choices!
I finished with a score of 1178/1250 – a shortfall of 72 (a lot!), + 29/33 achievements with a bonus scene to be accessed on attaining all 33 which is driving me nuts at the mo! Laughing

Total Posts: 1

Joined 2016-08-18

PM

Oscar - 17 August 2016 07:53 AM

A very good remake. For $3.99USD it’s almost a must buy.

Both Lifestream and Shady Brook were on an easier level of difficulty, which is understandable considering they were designed for point & click play and not IF. Hopefully we’ll really start seeing the potential of this engine when original games begin to be made for it.

I got both in my favor($3.99 and Entry level ). Some game i like to start with easier level;)

Total Posts: 1338

Joined 2009-08-06

PM

For a first time player would you still recommend the PC version? I don’t like gaming on my phone so much.

Total Posts: 4011

Joined 2011-04-01

PM

Definitely get the PC version. I can’t imagine how censorship would work in this game, some scenes are extremely graphic and would be ruined by being censored.

Joined 2009-08-06

PM

Okay got it. It was only 4 dollars. Will check it out maybe later.

Joined 2012-03-24

PM

Oscar - 18 August 2016 07:51 AM

Definitely get the PC version. I can’t imagine how censorship would work in this game, some scenes are extremely graphic and would be ruined by being censored.

I’m intending to have another run-through on censored to check it out but meanwhile…
I’ve only got one more achievement to gain: One of the guys - Talk sports with some friends.

Can anyone help here?  Smile

Joined 2009-08-06

PM

OKay….so I guess there are 3 versions of this game.

I thought I just downloaded the original version off of the website. I started to realize this might be the new version since there is no voice-acting in it. However, the website does state that I have downloaded the PC uncensored version opposed to the Mobile censored version.

So I guess we now have:
-Original PC game
-New PC game uncensored
-New mobile game censored

I dunno whether to continue with this version or I will still miss out on content or that this will possibly be the best version of the game.

Joined 2012-03-24

PM

Origami - 18 August 2016 04:09 PM

I thought I just downloaded the original version off of the website. I started to realize this might be the new version since there is no voice-acting in it. However, the website does state that I have downloaded the PC uncensored version opposed to the Mobile censored version.

So I guess we now have:
-Original PC game
-New PC game uncensored

I dunno whether to continue with this version or I will still miss out on content or that this will possibly be the best version of the game.

The original (2005) version is not to be had on download & the hard copy difficult to get but if you’re lucky enough to pick up the game disc 2nd hand you need XP (or possibly earlier?) to play it on. Smile

If you’ve got the current remake version on PC be assured that you will not miss out on any content! (the censored version does not detract from the story!)  Smile

Total Posts: 449

Joined 2006-11-20

PM

chrissie - 15 August 2016 02:32 PM

I never thought I would consider it better than the original but yes! as apart from missing the voice-acting there’s more detail to the story.

I don’t get it….the trailer that is here, Shady Brook (Interactive Fiction remake) trailer has voice-overs, but the actual game doesn’t?

Life is too short to drink bad wine…

Joined 2009-08-06

PM

chrissie - 19 August 2016 08:28 AM
Origami - 18 August 2016 04:09 PM

So I guess we now have:
-Original PC game
-New PC game uncensored

The original (2005) version is not to be had on download & the hard copy difficult to get but if you’re lucky enough to pick up the game disc 2nd hand you need XP (or possibly earlier?) to play it on. Smile

If you’ve got the current remake version on PC be assured that you will not miss out on any content! (the censored version does not detract from the story!)  Smile

But that’s what I am telling you Chrissie: The NEW PC version you can also play uncensored. That’s what I am doing right now.

Review in progress: I am halfway and the game is surprisingly amazing. Honestly, I also like this IF version. It makes it easy to navigate areound and with the soundtrack creates a soothing experience. Not easy to get lost.
I am also checking every nook and cranny after every event flag. I think I am not missing out on any game points as of yet.

I suspect I am also on my way of unlocking all achievements, so ask me if you missed one.

Joined 2012-03-24

PM

Origami - 20 August 2016 05:34 AM

But that’s what I am telling you Chrissie: The NEW PC version you can also play uncensored. That’s what I am doing right now.

Sorry I worded it badly but yes, the PC version is uncensored but you can also opt to play it censored if you wish. I’ve tried both & the censored version just leaves out some more explicit lines of text + more graphic images of nudity (which are replaced with more modest ones) in the few places they appear.

Origami - 20 August 2016 05:34 AM

I suspect I am also on my way of unlocking all achievements, so ask me if you missed one.

I’ve now managed to finish the game with 1235/1250 points & 32/33 achievements - the one that’s eluding me is ‘One of the guys - Talk sports with some friends’ so are you please able to help me out with that one Origami? I’m guessing it’s to be found somewhere in the 1st half of the game. Smile

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top