• Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums
continue reading below

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

DaleGabriel

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Hardest adventure game you’ve played

Total Posts: 5597

Joined 2008-01-09

PM

Many games have a few tough puzzles that have driven me batty.  (Arrow puzzle in Timelapse, anyone?)  However, for overall difficulty, The Space Bar and The Feeble Files top my list.  (I still love them anyway.) Heart Eyes  I agree that Riven was a challenge because the clues covered the entire world, but they didn’t frustrate as much as fascinate me.  I feel the same way about most of Obsidian except for those rabafratzen sliding buttons at the end.

“Rainy days should be spent at home with a cup of tea and a good book.” -Bill Watterson

Total Posts: 946

Joined 2005-06-02

PM

diego - 06 September 2012 01:21 PM
Oscar - 06 September 2012 01:16 PM

Nooo….. Really? Infocom games were substantially harder.

Well, I don’t doubt that, but I haven’t really experienced the IF era, so I didn’t count them in. Like old Sierra games, which would be on top of the list as well, but then we would have to pay attention to things such as justified and unjustified difficulty. Smile

Which old Sierra games?

Now playing: ——-
Recently finished: don’t remember
Up next:  Eh…
Looking forward to:
Ithaka of the Clouds; The Last Crown; all the kickstarter adventure games I supported

Total Posts: 6590

Joined 2007-07-22

PM

Fien - 06 September 2012 04:25 PM

Which old Sierra games?

Nah, I wasn’t relating “old Sierra games” with IF games, Fien. Just pointing out how, similar like with IFs, I missed playing older Sierra games like - King’s Quest 1, 2, 3… Gold Rush!, LSL… which would, in my book, be on top of the “difficulty list” as well, although rather because of too many action options and the interface, than the hard puzzles.

Recently finished: Four Last Things 4/5, Edna & Harvey: The Breakout 5/5, Chains of Satinav 3,95/5, A Vampyre Story 88, Sam Peters 3/5, Broken Sword 1 4,5/5, Broken Sword 2 4,3/5, Broken Sword 3 85, Broken Sword 5 81, Gray Matter 4/5\nCurrently playing: Broken Sword 4, Keepsake (Let\‘s Play), Callahan\‘s Crosstime Saloon (post-Community Playthrough)\nLooking forward to: A Playwright’s Tale

Joined 2005-06-02

PM

diego - 06 September 2012 04:31 PM
Fien - 06 September 2012 04:25 PM

Which old Sierra games?

Nah, I wasn’t relating “old Sierra games” with IF games, Fien. Just pointing out how, similar like with IFs, I missed playing older Sierra games like - King’s Quest 1, 2, 3… Gold Rush!, LSL… which would, in my book, be on top of the “difficulty list” as well, although rather because of too many action options and the interface, than the hard puzzles.

Okay, for once I’m gonna be nice (heh…) and sit on my hands.

Looking forward to:
Ithaka of the Clouds; The Last Crown; all the kickstarter adventure games I supported

Total Posts: 6590

Joined 2007-07-22

PM

No, please do tell! Tongue Where I’m wrong? Do you think old Sierra games are not that hard?

Recently finished: Four Last Things 4/5, Edna & Harvey: The Breakout 5/5, Chains of Satinav 3,95/5, A Vampyre Story 88, Sam Peters 3/5, Broken Sword 1 4,5/5, Broken Sword 2 4,3/5, Broken Sword 3 85, Broken Sword 5 81, Gray Matter 4/5\nCurrently playing: Broken Sword 4, Keepsake (Let\‘s Play), Callahan\‘s Crosstime Saloon (post-Community Playthrough)\nLooking forward to: A Playwright’s Tale

Joined 2005-06-02

PM

That’s right.  Tongue

Looking forward to:

Total Posts: 2990

Joined 2012-03-09

PM

I have to agree with Fien on this one. The fact that there are many ways to die in the game doesn’t necessary makes it hard. You just learn to save after each step you make. Many of the pre-mentioned titles (The Space Bar, Black Dahlia, Riven,etc) have much harder riddles to solve and this is IMO the wright way to measure an adventure game’s difficulty. However, I will agree with diego that the old Sierra games were famed for causing frustration, mostly because many players sometimes forgot the No1 Rule on the days back then (Save Early & Often), making them to repeat steps.

Total Posts: 8720

Joined 2012-01-02

PM

Dying in sierra’s games was always a heart Pumping process , wish was Orgasmic , that fear of going doing the wrong thing made me feel like i am with my love and at the next moment i feel like i m sweating, my heart beats hard and get Goosebumps all over me , it was always a great feeling i never experienced since Lucas changed that and then Sierra gotten Soft,

i always remember that there were art at Dying in Sierra Games, especially SQs i would not miss one, even if i can avoid it.

i can Happily can claim that i played all Sierra Games and several ones i played several times through 2 decades and i hated it at the their last year when they had gotten sissy to compete with the market.

Joined 2012-03-09

PM

Advie - 07 September 2012 08:13 AM

Dying in sierra’s games was always a heart Pumping process , wish was Orgasmic , that fear of going doing the wrong thing made me feel like i am with my love and at the next moment i feel like i m sweating, my heart beats hard and get Goosebumps all over me , it was always a great feeling i never experienced since Lucas changed that and then Sierra gotten Soft,

i always remember that there were art at Dying in Sierra Games, especially SQs i would not miss one, even if i can avoid it.

i can Happily can claim that i played all Sierra Games and several ones i played several times through 2 decades and i hated it at the their last year when they had gotten sissy to compete with the market.

Well, I for myself, always hated dying for whatever reason. Since the load button was always available, it was pretty unrealistic and spoiled the fun with continuous pauses. Like real life, you don’t die every 10 minutes. Even worse when it was an unrealistic or unfair reason. Not to mention when your death was occured during an action sequence (for God’s shake, we are adventure gamers, not action ones!). This is exactly the reason why I have skipped the vast majority of old Sierra games. They were not particularly difficult, but most of them IMO frustrating. But I guess that this matter was well discussed in the “How you feel about death in adventure games” thread Tongue

Total Posts: 8720

Joined 2012-01-02

PM

Sefir, lets be Honest , yeah we are Adventurers and don’t like to die in a game and repeat an action maybe 10 times to pass it and it is very frustrating , but i just like my father Grin always appreciated the old things even if they are outdated, and that doesn’t mean that this is wrong neither right but what i see through this vast technology evolution in the past 10 years or so everything is getting more Softer to attract more mass audience : rockers (Rock bands) now does not refer to the core Rock by any chance, i don’t see another Dio or Mustiaine , i still Like Stephen King’s book and hated twilight’s, i do love Arnold’s Total recall more the remake and so on…

you cant argue with somebody listens to a 100 years old Classical piece of music and never listened to any of modern stuff (just for instance)

but life moves on , we move on with it

Joined 2012-03-09

PM

I never said that I was against the old Sierra games in general. I am no blasphemer. After all, I still prefer the two first GK (and I hate the third) and I still consider the first Larry the best of the series. It is just this particular point (deaths) that annoys me, but of course, someone can say that this was one of the characteristics that grew a generation of adventure gamers for years and made them think “out of the box” to deal with each new obstacle. It also learned them to save early and often Tongue (Something that The Space Bar tought us too). Yes, life goes on…I must admit that it’s been a long time since I played a game that could be considered both good in general quality and really hard (The Space Bar doesn’t count. I’m talking about new releases). I believe that the overall adventure difficulty (difficulty, not quality) has dropped over the rescent years and this is a shame…Perhaps this is due to our modern way of living, where the time for adventure gaming (or the time for entertainment in general) is becoming less and less. Thus the adventure games are easier on thinking and faster to finish (hello Botanicula! hello TWD!). Once again, I am talking about general game difficulty, not the product quality in general, since many great games were released too nowadays (this year more than ever). And of course, this was only my opinion. As you said Advie, we have to move with the times.

Joined 2005-06-02

PM

Sefir - 07 September 2012 11:33 AM

I believe that the overall adventure difficulty (difficulty, not quality) has dropped over the rescent years and this is a shame…Perhaps this is due to our modern way of living, where the time for adventure gaming (or the time for entertainment in general) is becoming less and less. Thus the adventure games are easier on thinking and faster to finish (hello Botanicula! hello TWD!).

I gave Botanicula as a present to a 15-year old who loves playing video games and has played Professor Layton on her DS. When I asked her if she liked Botanicula, she said yes, but wasn’t it a hard game and she’d needed a walkthrough to finish it.  Meh

Looking forward to:

Total Posts: 247

Joined 2012-05-21

PM

I’m not quite sure how to answer this. When I think “hardest adventure game” I think “most challenging” not “most frustrating” and the two are often very different things. There are a few games that were freakishly difficult for me to get to the end of, but I don’t think of them as the “hardest”, but as the “stupidest, most annoying” because the REASONS for the difficulty were things that I think make a poor game, like unclear dead ends (where you’ve lost because of something you did or didn’t do, but you just don’t know it because the game didn’t tell you), or illogical puzzles that can only be reliably solved through trial and error (deduct extra points is that involves having to restore a save game each time).

Riven was challenging but fair, IMHO. That would probably be my choice for hardest game that I ENJOYED.

Any game that, in the long run, “forces” me to look at some kind of hint (provided my reaction to looking up the answer is, “Well THAT’S stupid!” instead of “Well I’M stupid!”) isn’t going to get high marks from me for it’s challenge level because of it.

Total Posts: 3933

Joined 2011-03-14

PM

It is a bit difficult to judge which is the most difficult game i have played, as i have played AG for a long time, and has become more skilled at puzzle solving over time.

The only AG i have ever quit because it was too difficult is “The Hitch Hikers Quide to the Galaxy”, i simply never got past the Babelfish puzzle (walkthroughs weren’t easy available back then). As a matter of fact it took 2-3 years before i played another AG, because of my experience with Hitch Hiker.

Another game i remember as beeing very difficult is the first Diskworld game, i however also absolutely loved the game, so i struggled my way through it only using a walkthrough 2 or 3 times.

There is also a new game i would like to mention for its challenging puzzles, and it isn’t even an adventure game: The Secret World.
Even though it is a MMORPG then it has investigating mission, which is very similar to puzzles in AG. Most of these missions are more difficult than any puzzles i have seen in a AG in a very long time, and there are even 1 or 2 i would describe as beeing outright unfair. Frown

You have to play the game, to find out why you are playing the game! - eXistenZ

Joined 2012-03-09

PM

Iznogood - 07 September 2012 07:08 PM

Another game i remember as beeing very difficult is the first Diskworld game, i however also absolutely loved the game, so i struggled my way through it…

Of course you did. After all, your signature suggests that you are a Disc fan! Smile

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top