• Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums
continue reading below

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

GabrielseagulSefir

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

open world & direct control

Total Posts: 8720

Joined 2012-01-02

PM

tomimt - 24 May 2016 07:07 AM

I used to think so as well, but I’ve just recently came to have a change of heart. Only games I still play on keyboard an mouse are FPS games.

what kind of an adventurer plays FPS?

Total Posts: 2653

Joined 2013-03-14

PM

Advie - 24 May 2016 08:13 AM

The kind of who likes to shoot at things now and then?

Total Posts: 8720

Joined 2012-01-02

PM

tomimt - 24 May 2016 08:23 AM

The kind of who likes to shoot at things now and then?

get a stress ball Tongue

Total Posts: 12

Joined 2006-04-28

PM

May I ask what you mean by an open world adventure game?

Don’t want to hijack the thread but I am interested because I have an idea for a game that would be an open world “emergent gameplay” (in the sense of Deus Ex, System Shock etc) game in which the game designer designs the systems by which puzzles are to be solved, but they do not necessarily design the solutions to the puzzles - these are worked out by the player interacting with the game systems. This would take place in a game with a strong narrative focus as well. I think this would be a very interesting game - does anything like that exist?

Joined 2013-03-14

PM

Advie - 24 May 2016 08:29 AM

get a stress ball Tongue

Shooting at things is more fun.

Total Posts: 1167

Joined 2013-02-12

PM

Vogon Poet - 24 May 2016 08:29 AM

Don’t want to hijack the thread but I am interested because I have an idea for a game that would be an open world “emergent gameplay” (in the sense of Deus Ex, System Shock etc) game in which the game designer designs the systems by which puzzles are to be solved, but they do not necessarily design the solutions to the puzzles - these are worked out by the player interacting with the game systems. This would take place in a game with a strong narrative focus as well. I think this would be a very interesting game - does anything like that exist?

Penumbra had a good try in that direction, along with some interesting ideas about stealth. It’s not a pure adventure game but had some puzzles solved using objects in a dynamic rather than scripted way.

And of course a lot of text adventures are designed around systems rather than just scripting - solutions to problems come as consequences of objects’ properties rather than just because that’s the object the designer/programmer had in mind. Hadean Lands is a good recent example, or Infocom’s classic games. It’s a different ethos - in a graphical game it’s much more expensive to provide animation and so on for all the possibilities, so most point&click; games (other than those made by Kheops) are more restrictive.

Total Posts: 12

Joined 2006-04-28

PM

Phlebas - 24 May 2016 08:55 AM
Vogon Poet - 24 May 2016 08:29 AM

Penumbra had a good try in that direction, along with some interesting ideas about stealth. It’s not a pure adventure game but had some puzzles solved using objects in a dynamic rather than scripted way.

And of course a lot of text adventures are designed around systems rather than just scripting - solutions to problems come as consequences of objects’ properties rather than just because that’s the object the designer/programmer had in mind. Hadean Lands is a good recent example, or Infocom’s classic games. It’s a different ethos - in a graphical game it’s much more expensive to provide animation and so on for all the possibilities, so most point&click; games (other than those made by Kheops) are more restrictive.

Thanks for your response! I think with modern technology it might be more achievable

Joined 2013-03-14

PM

I’ve been playing Witcher 3, which is an open world RPG, and that one actually has some adventure game elements in its quest system. For an example to kill some huge monster you need to research it first, find out what weaknesses it has an so on. And then there’s quests where you need to use witcher senses to find evidence from a room or out doors locations.

It’s still an action RPG at heart, so it might not suit everyone, though it has a “story mode” which apparently has greatly eased fighting. But I’ve not tried that one.

Total Posts: 7109

Joined 2005-09-29

PM

tomimt - 24 May 2016 08:31 AM
Advie - 24 May 2016 08:29 AM

get a stress ball Tongue

Shooting at things is more fun.

How about pocket billiard? Crazy

Joined 2005-09-29

PM

TimovieMan - 24 May 2016 06:59 AM
tomimt - 24 May 2016 06:44 AM

That just sounds uncomfortable. Get a pad.

So uncomfortable that I often fall asleep lying like that. Wink

And I have a pad. It’s collecting dust because I think keyboard+mouse is the superior control method.

That L shaped couch is a key to mystery here, pack it up boys go home, mystery solved.

Joined 2013-02-12

PM

I used to think so as well, but I’ve just recently came to have a change of heart. Only games I still play on keyboard an mouse are FPS games.

The kind who lives in hope of another System Shock/Deus Ex/Thief/No-One Lives Forever?

Total Posts: 8998

Joined 2004-01-05

PM

Phlebas - 24 May 2016 10:22 AM

The kind who lives in hope of another System Shock/Deus Ex/Thief/No-One Lives Forever?

System Shock and Deux Ex are coming
Thief came but seems like it probably should have stayed dead
No One Lives Forever not even a re-release is possible Cry  Cry  Cry  Cry

Joined 2013-02-12

PM

wilco - 24 May 2016 10:31 AM

Oh, I didn’t (necessarily) mean sequels - I know there have been new games under the Deus Ex and Thief names. I was thinking in terms of style and ambition, the detailed worlds, in-depth interactivity and the way those games told their stories.

Total Posts: 8998

Joined 2004-01-05

PM

Phlebas - 24 May 2016 10:42 AM

Oh, I didn’t (necessarily) mean sequels - I know there have been new games under the Deus Ex and Thief names. I was thinking in terms of style and ambition, the detailed worlds, in-depth interactivity and the way those games told their stories.

I think System Shock will be aiming for it, don’t know if they can make it. Deus Ex will probably also be worthy.

Joined 2005-09-29

PM

Doom has reignited my faith in possibility of reimagining of Blood, Nolf and PerfectDark.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top