• Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums
continue reading below

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

open world & direct control

Total Posts: 8720

Joined 2012-01-02

PM

Ok, i am terribly bothered by this being an essential element with almost all the new open world adventures, i like to sit down with my Laptop anywhere and relax while playing adventures, but with direct control i feel terrible about the fact that i need to use both hands to play adventures plus a nice place to sit down (a desk maybe) to be able to do that.

But I can’t really complain about the new demands for open world adventure games, this is something we all might have been craving for, for a long time, but can’t it be brought in a way which is more suitable for the genre fans who grew up with the concept of point n click?

anyone else considering this turn-off? Pan

The only exception (i can recall now) i feel very* comfortable with, is how TRT have dealt with Dreamfall: Chapters, direct controls using the mouse, and in addition to that the ability to reset the controls; so, i always changed the SHIFT-keyboard-key (run) to the Mouse-scroll-key, and i am able to control the avatar thru clicking both at the same time, using one hand, sitting back relaxed at my sofa while my lap is on a small table in front of me.

Total Posts: 1079

Joined 2003-09-30

PM

Frankly my dear most relaxed way of direct control is playing with a gamepad, no buts.

“Going on means going far - Going far means returning”

Total Posts: 7109

Joined 2005-09-29

PM

Gabe - 21 May 2016 03:14 PM

Frankly my dear most relaxed way of direct control is playing with a gamepad, no buts.

This!

Gamepad, comfy couch, big ass screen.

No buts.

Total Posts: 8720

Joined 2012-01-02

PM

now i am going to kill myself, i do not have a gamepad

Total Posts: 2653

Joined 2013-03-14

PM

I’ve come to love gamepads myself as well. I used to be strictly keyboard/mouse player even on action games and RPG’s, but now I’ve noticed how pleasing it is to just sit back and pad on hand play instead of slouching over keboard and mouse.

Total Posts: 8471

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

I’ll take the keyboard + mouse combo over a gamepad any day of the week. The exception might be sports games. For everything else, I’ve gotten quite used to just lying on the couch with the laptop and still going keyboard + mouse. No big deal.

The truth can’t hurt you, it’s just like the dark: it scares you witless but in time you see things clear and stark. - Elvis Costello
Maybe this time I can be strong, but since I know who I am, I’m probably wrong. Maybe this time I can go far, but thinking about where I’ve been ain’t helping me start. - Michael Kiwanuka

Total Posts: 7109

Joined 2005-09-29

PM

TimovieMan - 23 May 2016 07:53 AM

I’ll take the keyboard + mouse combo over a gamepad any day of the week. The exception might be sports games. For everything else, I’ve gotten quite used to just lying on the couch with the laptop and still going keyboard + mouse. No big deal.

Lying on couch with mouse?

Cant imagine help
Meh

Total Posts: 229

Joined 2006-03-25

PM

STEAM CONTROLLER!

I just got one and it is perfect for adventure games on the TV. You can easily customize it to genre-specific layouts too, which is amazing.

Total Posts: 506

Joined 2014-08-01

PM

nomadsoul - 23 May 2016 12:29 PM

Lying on couch with mouse?

Cant imagine help
Meh

You can not imagine because it is impossible, it is physically impossible, unless the couch be a synonym for a hard board shaped table.Tongue

” I remember. Somebody died. It was me.”
~

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

Want me to post a pic? Tongue

The truth can’t hurt you, it’s just like the dark: it scares you witless but in time you see things clear and stark. - Elvis Costello
Maybe this time I can be strong, but since I know who I am, I’m probably wrong. Maybe this time I can go far, but thinking about where I’ve been ain’t helping me start. - Michael Kiwanuka

Total Posts: 7446

Joined 2013-08-26

PM

TimovieMan - 24 May 2016 03:17 AM

Want me to post a pic? Tongue

Yes, please. I don’t see it either.

Butter my buns and call me a biscuit! - Agent A

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

L-shaped couch with me lying in the shorter end. Laptop rests on my lap/stomach and my right arm (and mouse) is on the backrest to my right. An optical mouse works perfectly on seat fabric.

Still hard to imagine?

Joined 2013-03-14

PM

That just sounds uncomfortable. Get a pad.

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

tomimt - 24 May 2016 06:44 AM

That just sounds uncomfortable. Get a pad.

So uncomfortable that I often fall asleep lying like that. Wink

And I have a pad. It’s collecting dust because I think keyboard+mouse is the superior control method.

Joined 2013-03-14

PM

TimovieMan - 24 May 2016 06:59 AM

I think keyboard+mouse is the superior control method.

I used to think so as well, but I’ve just recently came to have a change of heart. Only games I still play on keyboard an mouse are FPS games, but everything else feels just much nicer with a pad. My pad used to collect dust as well for years and then I just suddenly realised how nice thing it really is.

Total Posts: 1167

Joined 2013-02-12

PM

For action games (unless it’s first-person) I’d take a gamepad. But for adventures I still prefer the mouse. It’s about abstraction - if I’m playing an action game, the feel of the motion is important; if it’s an adventure then it’s about where I want to go and what I want to do there, and having to do the actual steering is just tedious.
(NB I generally play games at the computer rather than on the sofa, so figuring out how to use a mouse comfortably on the sofa isn’t a concern)

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top