• Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums
continue reading below

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Mike the Wino

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Infocom games

Total Posts: 1

Joined 2016-05-06

PM

Hi,

I recently purchased and started playing some of Infocom’s legendary Interactive Ficition Adventures.

I had so much fun it made me wonder if anything like this exists today:

I mean well-written, interesting stories you are able to relive through text adventure games, maybe accompanied by decent graphics which add to the mood as explorer/detective/whatever.

I mean I have no problem with graphic adventures, I like them too, totally love MI, DOTT, STS and all the good games from Daedalic and so on!

But great text adventures feel like reading a novel and being the protagonist. Especially when they have great stories like INFOCOM’s! Who needs pics in a great novel? They are only detracting from the immersion IMHO.

I could totally imagine a remake of, say, Wishbringer in a modern format: with a parser that really understands whole sentences and some decent graphics which do not detract from the ‘book’ you are living in with this adventure. They also could make the world of the game much larger as they don’t have the restrictions now which they had then (64K/128K engine). And music (koaasst) and sounds wouldn’t hurt either, would they? Smile

They also could finish HITCHHIKER TWO after all these years - they had started it after all well known from Andy Baio’s blog!

So is anybody in the know if the folks at Infocom or Legend or what else company are planning to do a remake or remaster of their adventure classics?
Or if fans of them are doing it?

Would be great if you could inform us all then Wink

Total Posts: 181

Joined 2005-11-15

PM

Tass Cjelli - 06 May 2016 05:25 AM

I recently purchased and started playing some of Infocom’s legendary Interactive Ficition Adventures.

I had so much fun it made me wonder if anything like this exists today:

I mean well-written, interesting stories you are able to relive through text adventure games, maybe accompanied by decent graphics which add to the mood as explorer/detective/whatever.

I haven’t kept up with the hobbyist text adventure scene for… gee, more years than I care to remember, but last time I checked it was still thriving and producing some pretty darn good games from time to time. (And, of course, a whole lot of average or not so good ones, but isn’t that always the case?)

If I wanted to get in touch with it again, some of the places I’d look at would be:

The Interactive Fiction Database
The Interactive Fiction Community Forum
The Interactive Fiction Competition

But I’m sure that this list is far from exhaustive.

Total Posts: 7446

Joined 2013-08-26

PM

Welcome to the forums. Always nice to meet fans of text adventures. We recently had a community playthrough of Plundered Hearts.

But…
The folks at Infocom or Legend? I can’t imagine a fan not knowing that Legend has been dead for more than 12 years and Infocom for 27 years.  Frown

Although the days of commercial text adventures are over for the most part, the non-commercial IF community is alive and kicking. Lots of excellent new games, yearly competitions, reviews, the works.
See for instance:
http://www.intfiction.org/forum/
http://www.ifarchive.org/

If you want to see what moderne parsers are capable of, you should play games by Emily Short, like Galatea, and Andrew Plotkin, like Hadean Lands. All games by Graham Nelson are favorites of mine.

Both older and fairly recent:
Make It Good
Photopia
Anchorhead
Curses
All Roads
Christminster
Violet
Shadow in the Cathedral
Lost Pig
Worlds Apart
Babel
Future Boy!
(with pics and voices)

Butter my buns and call me a biscuit! - Agent A

Total Posts: 4011

Joined 2011-04-01

PM

Tass Cjelli - 06 May 2016 05:25 AM

I could totally imagine a remake of, say, Wishbringer in a modern format: with a parser that really understands whole sentences and some decent graphics which do not detract from the ‘book’ you are living in with this adventure. They also could make the world of the game much larger as they don’t have the restrictions now which they had then (64K/128K engine). And music (koaasst) and sounds wouldn’t hurt either, would they? Smile

You might want to take a look at the recently released Lifestream by Storycentric Worlds. It is a remake of a graphic adventure in the style of a Legend game. I’ve just started playing it and feels like a text adventure with music and pictures, and without the need to type anything.

Karlok - 06 May 2016 07:47 AM

Worlds Apart

Brilliant - I’ve had this lined up to play for a while!

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top