• Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums
continue reading below

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

A Space Quest series playthrough

Total Posts: 5

Joined 2011-01-20

PM

I could not sleep last night and decided to Scumm it up with SQ 1 VGA.  There is some great humor going on here in the beginning of the game, things to note :

1 - When the ships timer is counting down, do you really have to wait till 1 min is left to do the last few actions to get off the ship? I had to wait till “one min” left was announced every time otherwise the guards would kill me…

2 - I loved how once you get into space you can do push 2 buttons, one of them thrusting you into Quest for Camelot!  I loved how you crash landed in front of the castle, I just played that scene like 2 weeks ago so it was super fresh, that was awesome!

Also blowing up the monster on the 1st planet with the dehydrated water was great!  now I am stuck on what to do with the organ… I know I need to use it to somehow understand the alien head… but how, not sure yet!

Fun game so far, very basic but a nice introduction to the series so far. Thumbs Up

Total Posts: 8998

Joined 2004-01-05

PM

domith88 - 06 April 2016 12:21 PM

1 - When the ships timer is counting down, do you really have to wait till 1 min is left to do the last few actions to get off the ship? I had to wait till “one min” left was announced every time otherwise the guards would kill me…

I don’t think so, I left with 5 minutes. Where did they kill you? There is a guard in one room in when you go down the elevator where you have to hide behind the machine in the middle

2 - I loved how once you get into space you can do push 2 buttons, one of them thrusting you into Quest for Camelot!  I loved how you crash landed in front of the castle, I just played that scene like 2 weeks ago so it was super fresh, that was awesome!

Yeah, that was also a cool easter egg, although I never played Quest for Camelot…

Also blowing up the monster on the 1st planet with the dehydrated water was great!  now I am stuck on what to do with the organ… I know I need to use it to somehow understand the alien head… but how, not sure yet!

You are right about using in the alien headbut to understand him you need something else grabbed way earlier in the game

Total Posts: 8720

Joined 2012-01-02

PM

so whos sharing with me the playing of the IA remake for the 2nd part or are all onto the original release already ?

Total Posts: 8998

Joined 2004-01-05

PM

I’ll also be checking the remake along with the original. Should be interesting.
Starting Space Quest 2 now. I’ve only played it a long time ago and with the use extense use of a walkthrough because I couldn’t handle the parser. So I’m with you Advie, feels like playing it for the first time.

(That is one weird looking cover…)

Total Posts: 179

Joined 2003-09-11

PM

I think SQ1 on Amiga in about 1987 may have been my first adventure of all time.

It was definitely SQ1 or LSL1.

SO many feelz

Total Posts: 619

Joined 2012-06-06

PM

It’s nice to see people playing the SQ2 remake! I hadn’t actually played or touched it in years since we finished it in 2011… until a few months ago.  I booted up the source code, and had a good time remembering how we made certain things, etc.  I also found some errors, bugs, things I wanted to change.  When you make a game, sometimes you just have to let it go and release it!

Though I might just go through it a bit and fix a few things and quietly release a v2.0.  We made the game over several years in our spare time, and everyone worked for free.  The hardest part, probably was writing, programming and then recording all the lines for the extra interactions of taste and smell.  I’m glad we did those, because they were fun and the heart of SQ lies in there.  We had a lot of fun being irreverent, and most of those interactions were written by a guy named Daniel, who went by Ponderer.  I don’t know what became of him, either - he kind of disappeared off the net, and I’ve not heard from him in five years.  I think he wasn’t in the best of health, either, so I hope nothing terrible has befallen him.  I was on kidney dialysis through 90% of the production; after I got my transplant, I had a renewed sense of “Let’s get this done!” so we finished it in time for New Years Ever 2011!  We even had a big Easter Egg planned - being able to play the whole garbage freighter level of Space Quest III at the end if you got a perfect score. We had all the backgrounds done, and almost all of the programming done - not all animations got done, and none of the voices were recorded.  We ran out of time - there’s still an incomplete, forlorn SQ3 VGA Garbage Level sitting on my hard-drive.

I played SQ2 a LOT during that time, and it brought me back to the times I played it with my friends across the street growing up.  Not the strongest entry in the series, or even my personal favorite - but I loved remaking it.  It was fun, for sure.

Bt

Total Posts: 9

Joined 2016-04-01

PM

so far playing SQ5, i find the humor is much more than the previous in teh series. 

the previous SQ games before part 5 seems a lot more serious in tone

Total Posts: 2653

Joined 2013-03-14

PM

I think the difference of humour in SQ5 has a lot to do with Scott Murphy not being a part of the design of it. His style of comedy is snarkier, more sarcastic and a bit meaner than Mark Crowe’s who helmed that one alone.

SQ6, that was at least in part (to my knwoledge it was a difficult project and had some chnages in leads) Scott Murphys project is again a bit darker in tone.

Joined 2012-01-02

PM

Blackthorne - 07 April 2016 02:31 PM

We even had a big Easter Egg planned - being able to play the whole garbage freighter level of Space Quest III at the end if you got a perfect score. We had all the backgrounds done, and almost all of the programming done - not all animations got done, and none of the voices were recorded.  We ran out of time - there’s still an incomplete, forlorn SQ3 VGA Garbage Level sitting on my hard-drive.

first time i get to know those two pieces of infos
1.it would have be a good challenge and would have added another dimension to this replay.
2. Get outta of here Steven, if i get you correctly, if there were plans about SQIII remakes, why this wasn’t ever published (that i am aware of) and what does it take for you to bring this project into action, besides the Activision current (def harder) copy rights regaining, and budget matters which could be managed with an absolute successful Kickstarter? because you have got the magic words by your side; Sierra & Space Quest.

tomimt - 07 April 2016 03:53 PM

I think the difference of humour in SQ5 has a lot to do with Scott Murphy not being a part of the design of it. His style of comedy is snarkier, more sarcastic and a bit meaner than Mark Crowe’s who helmed that one alone.

that’s why i love Scott the most of the legendary Sierra crew; when humour or sarcasm comes out of a ‘sorta’ misery it hits you real hard, that sometimes you end up with cramps down your stomach or something, and thats clearly to the nature of it being least expected, and Scott had always mastered this kind of dark humor.

Josh (i.e) on the other hand likes to bring the comedy that’s related to cultures and undisputed matters, and for me they always been hard to get, some jokes at parts-of-SQ6 or FPFP had me puzzled because somehow they demanded me to be of a certain knowledge towards the American culture or history.

tomimt - 07 April 2016 03:53 PM

SQ6, that was at least in part (to my knowledge it was a difficult project and had some chnages in leads) Scott Murphys project is again a bit darker in tone.

‘difficult project ’ indeed.
after Space Quest 4 both Mark n Scott never revealed more than it was ‘stressful time’ creating it, they were both separated, Mark Moved to Dynamix , Scott with Josh Mandel working on Police Quest 4 and on Space Quest (5) that turned out to be the sixth!.
“I was aware that Josh Mandel (co-designer of SQ6 -ed) was working on a design for SQ5 at that point of time. I don’t know about all the politics surrounding that. They asked me to do SQ5, I had some ideas for a story so I said SURE!”, Mark Crowe.
..and as for Space Quest 6 (Sierra’s) Josh left the project and Scott was left with the job of getting it done.

repeating/quoting myself from the AG-OST thread, sorry Frown i hate repeating myself Tongue

Joined 2012-06-06

PM

We had a very cool SQIII remake planned; some really neat concept art was developed, including a design of Ortega that I really loved.  We only programmed the “first level” as an Easter Egg, and we thought of doing a full remake, but we decided to focus on doing our own games instead.  When we did the remakes, we were all young, unmarried, childless and in college.  By the end, many of us were married, had kids and real jobs that weren’t in game development.  (In fact, most of us still work other jobs in addition to making adventure games)  We couldn’t justify spending our time making a game, Space Quest III, that we couldn’t sell. 

Bt

Joined 2012-01-02

PM

Marriage & Kids are bad for Men health indeed, couldn’t agree more Wink

Joined 2012-01-02

PM

but thanks BT for sharing these infos with us, i would nt like to sound ‘not-appreciating’, not at all Smile

Joined 2012-06-06

PM

Advie - 07 April 2016 06:15 PM

but thanks BT for sharing these infos with us, i would nt like to sound ‘not-appreciating’, not at all Smile

Of course, man, we know each other! I know you’re joking around.

Bt

Total Posts: 5

Joined 2011-01-20

PM

Well damn, a testament to how old this game is during a pioneering phase for the graphic adventure…. after trying to attempt to [spoiler] translate what the large alien head was trying to tell me I realized I needed an item, but I did not have it.  I had to look up online to see it was a translating gadget which I never got from the drawer on the space ship Thumbs Up

So, I am now stuck on the planet with out the translator, so I can’t go on Frown   I can just reload a save and do it again in a few mins but its still a bummer.  I thought I had to rush through the lower floor of the spacecraft during the countdown sequence,  I thought the only way to not trigger the aliens from killing you was to run through at the 1 min mark.. its a weird deduction but it was the only way that would work for me after several attempts.  I must have missed the translator because I was down to the wire as it was….

I think somehow I just made SQ 1 way more difficult then it needs to be, I voluntarily played it on “really hard mode” somehow Pan

Joined 2012-01-02

PM

i know how it feels, even all you have to repeat/replay is several mins, its a bummer indeed, it used to be fun back then, when dead ends were a certain (agreed) aspect of early adventure gaming, but with today standards we got used to many deferent styles, these (with dead ends) is not one of them .

maybe we are getting softer with our tolerance, but again unfair is unfair, tho there has to be a limit of messing around with the standards of adventure gaming, and messing around is justified, but when messing reaches the level of diminishing the tolerance, our adventuring spirit gets too lazy that we could feel dumb; .

i love Dreamfall Chapters but after getting through the four eps playing them back to back trying to make the best of choices getting ready for the last part,i launched SQ or any of the modern adventures that respects the gamers mind (i will speak of Ankh trilogy cs that was this) i felt my tolerance level have reached Zero and it took me an hour or a bit more to regain my life time acquaintance with the genre, Point is; all my long life of adventure gaming could have been drowned within 16-20 hours of a certain title of gameplaying, and i do speak of a game that has some adventuring (puzzling & vast exploration) not mentioning those whom i do not speak of Smile

anyway, would a save game helps you on your current situation
http://www.spacequest.net/archives/sq1/savedgames/

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top