• Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums
continue reading below

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

SefirVeovis

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Aggies 2015

Total Posts: 4011

Joined 2011-04-01

PM

zane - 13 February 2016 08:46 AM

You cannot tell me that her story has a similar depth of gameplay to GK2.

I’m not attempting to. Someone said it had no puzzles or exploration. It clearly does. Just because you don’t watch a pixellated avatar walking around the screen stuffing way too many items in his pockets than they can hold doesn’t mean it’s not an adventure game.

Total Posts: 1891

Joined 2010-11-16

PM

Oscar - 13 February 2016 08:49 AM

I’m not attempting to. Someone said it had no puzzles or exploration. It clearly does. Just because you don’t watch a pixellated avatar walking around the screen stuffing way too many items in his pockets than they can hold doesn’t mean it’s not an adventure game.

The aggies article was saying that some of the biggest name games (telltale) did not qualify because they were “one pillar games”, meaning they only encompassed one of the “pillars” of adventure (story, puzzle, or exploration). By the same logic that these games dont have puzzle or exploration, it was pointed out her story would be a “one pillar game” too. Yet it was nominated across the board. I completely agree that her story is an adventure game. But it also definitely walks that line and if youre going to leave out games like until dawn and tales from the borderlands, her story would fall under that category for me too.

Total Posts: 64

Joined 2016-01-21

PM

Why are we all shedding tears over Telltale not being included? They havent made anything good since what, 2009?

Total Posts: 7109

Joined 2005-09-29

PM

Aggies minus ps4 minus vita minus 3ds minus TTG.

Total Posts: 6590

Joined 2007-07-22

PM

zane - 12 February 2016 07:37 PM

Because yeah… her story does not have puzzles

Seriously? Did you play the game? It’s IMPOSSIBLE to finish without a pen and paper, it’s all about a puzzle! It doesn’t have conventional puzzles, that’s true (and I’m not a particular fan of the system), but saying that is doesn’t have puzzles (even though it’s one, big puzzle) is entirely not true!

Recently finished: Four Last Things 4/5, Edna & Harvey: The Breakout 5/5, Chains of Satinav 3,95/5, A Vampyre Story 88, Sam Peters 3/5, Broken Sword 1 4,5/5, Broken Sword 2 4,3/5, Broken Sword 3 85, Broken Sword 5 81, Gray Matter 4/5\nCurrently playing: Broken Sword 4, Keepsake (Let\‘s Play), Callahan\‘s Crosstime Saloon (post-Community Playthrough)\nLooking forward to: A Playwright’s Tale

Total Posts: 1891

Joined 2010-11-16

PM

diego - 13 February 2016 09:42 AM

Seriously? Did you play the game? It’s IMPOSSIBLE to finish without a pen and paper, it’s all about a puzzle! It doesn’t have conventional puzzles, that’s true (and I’m not a particular fan of the system), but saying that is doesn’t have puzzles (even though it’s one, big puzzle) is entirely not true!

i wouldnt say impossible, because no i did not take notes Tongue
And thats one of the things that makes the game stand out: theres no set way you are required to progress through it. For better or worse it is non-linear. And its possible for the player to naturally go from point A to point C, without getting all of the exposition and logic they were supposed to in point B. And again, im saying it has no puzzles and exploration in the context of the other games that were decided not to qualify for the aggies.

Total Posts: 8998

Joined 2004-01-05

PM

GrahamDaventry - 13 February 2016 09:26 AM

Why are we all shedding tears over Telltale not being included? They havent made anything good since what, 2009?

Nobody is really shedding tears over Telltale, just discussing the new policy for this and why it includes some and leaves others out.

I agree that Her Story should definitely be there because it is an adventure but it’s puzzle is the same as Rapture and it doesn’t have exploration, at least compared to Rapture.
And finding differences between Life is Strange and Until Dawn in those aspects is pretty hard.

Total Posts: 7109

Joined 2005-09-29

PM

wilco - 13 February 2016 10:09 AM

Nobody is really shedding tears over Telltale, just discussing the new policy for this and why it includes some and leaves others out.

I agree that Her Story should definitely be there because it is an adventure but it’s puzzle is the same as Rapture and it doesn’t have exploration, at least compared to Rapture.
And finding differences between Life is Strange and Until Dawn in those aspects is pretty hard.

And they nominated Journey and ranked it high, but now more pc centric hence LiS and not UD.
Watch them adding Firewatch in 2016 aggies, even its as linear, because PC.
Selective bias but world goes on.

Edit:

But with time they will face more paradoxical policies with titles like Oxenfree,Firewatch and Outlast2.

Total Posts: 600

Joined 2011-06-07

PM

If you’d noticed the reviews then it would have occurred to you that Firewatch, similar to the recent Telltale games, did not get a full review (with a score), but a feature article as with all games that are not considered an adventure game by AG’s standards of story, puzzles and exploration.

So, you don’t have to worry that Firewatch will get included in the 2016 AGGIES, when other similar games are not.

Total Posts: 2704

Joined 2004-08-02

PM

Have you playef any of the Telltale games after 2009? If they are not your cup of tea, fine, but to issue a blank statement like this is just false.

Aggies game of the year 2012The Walking Dead
Also, The Wolf Among Us was my favorite game that Telltale ever made. I personally liked both Tales from the Borderlands(who people seemed to love) and even Game of thrones (that was not as well recieved).

Total Posts: 2704

Joined 2004-08-02

PM

What is weird about Agie’s definition of adventure is that it just doesn’t seem to be consistently applied among games.  So we are talking about exploration, story and puzzle, and you need 2 of the 3 to be considered an adventure. How do you define exploration? Is it the ability to move in the world and interact with things? In that sense, Telltale games have exploration as much as Life is Strange does. Or does life is strange count because you can look at fliers and stuff like Gone Home? Telltale allows you to look at things and observe them(like looking at Forrester portrait, Book of Fables etc). But I can argue that Everybody’s gone to the rapture has even more exploration than life is strange because it feels your exploration is a little less linear.

Total Posts: 1079

Joined 2003-09-30

PM

No King’s Quest on list of eligible games but there are other episodics?

“Going on means going far - Going far means returning”

Total Posts: 387

Joined 2013-02-17

PM

Gabe - 13 February 2016 12:56 PM

No King’s Quest on list of eligible games but there are other episodics?

Not listed because the King`s Quest series isn`t completed yet. Read the aggies description.

Playing: 1) Broken Sword 5 2) Road 96

Total Posts: 928

Joined 2009-11-10

PM

subbi - 13 February 2016 10:35 AM

If you’d noticed the reviews then it would have occurred to you that Firewatch, similar to the recent Telltale games, did not get a full review (with a score), but a feature article as with all games that are not considered an adventure game by AG’s standards of story, puzzles and exploration.

So, you don’t have to worry that Firewatch will get included in the 2016 AGGIES, when other similar games are not.

I hadn’t noticed until now but indeed older Telltale games like the Walking Dead or Wolf Among Us got scores but recent telltale games do not… Either view makes sense I think (I liked the first Walking Dead but got tired of the formula after that) but it is a big editorial change…

I wonder if it would make sense to have an aggie category for “atmospheric” adventures without puzzles… It’s of interest to a subset of people in here….

Total Posts: 1341

Joined 2012-02-17

PM

Can always count on the Aggies to generate yet another “what is an adventure game” debate. Tongue

To be clear, our site definition is, and has pretty much always been: a game that focuses on puzzle solving within a narrative framework, generally with few or no action elements.

Exploration is actually an optional element (and is just as relevant in pretty much every genre as it is to most adventure games).

Telltale was on the bubble already with TWD2 and TWAU last year, but there were at least some remnants of adventure game elements remaining. This year there really isn’t even that in their games. It’s not that we’ve changed anything; Telltale just kept pushing the envelope away from puzzles and exploration to pure story.

Her Story is indeed one big, giant puzzle. I’m surprised anyone would try to claim differently.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top