• Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums
continue reading below

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Apples vs Oranges! (Comparative reviews)

Total Posts: 6590

Joined 2007-07-22

PM

I’m starting the series of a random, unprovoked comparative reviews that will, for no good reason, compare two games that have something in common (well, at least they’ll both be an adventure!). In reality, I’m doing this to motivate me because I have a long list of unfinished and to-be-played adventures, and playing two at the same time will shorten that list faster! Wink If you want to chime in with your comparison, please do so, but follow the format bellow with the 6 key categories (you do not need to write the text, just scores):

The Testament of Sherlock Holmes (2012)  vs The Case of the Rose Tattoo (1996)

The comparison is afoot, Watson! In one corner, we have The Testament of Sherlock Holmes, the 6th release in Frogwares series, released in 2012., and in the other - the second game in the Lost Files series from Mythos Software/Electronic Arts released in 1996.

Graphics: Wow, this one is hard! “Testament” features nice 3D and pseudo-free roaming world (and in Frogwares series every next game features better graphics than its predecessor), while “Rose Tattoo” has authentically rendered 50+ 2D locations, with a neat black’n'white authentic screenshots of all locations you visit. Rose Tattoo also “fell victim” to a FMV craze in the late 90s, and every character in the game is a real actor, combined with the backgrounds. The result is of a solid technical quality. Characters in Testament have pretty good facial design and high standards for a “simple” adventure game (though I was bothered by their eyes - they felt pretty unnatural and “lost” at times). There’s not much to tell here - although I’m leaning more towards the Jeremy Brett-modeled Sherlock Holmes in Testament, objectively it’s a draw depending on your preferences. Testament vs Rose Tattoo: 1/2-1/2

Sound: Although Sherlock sounded better in previous Frogwares installments, Testament features a solid voice over, but not better or worse than the actors in Rose Tattoo. It would be a tie if it wasn’t for music, that is in favor of Testament, compared to somewhat generic and sterile midi tracks in Rose Tattoo. Of course, it’s not fair to compare midi format to modern game’s music, but this is not a fair format to begin with : 1-0

Story: Testament’s script has everything you can imagine from Doyle’s stories - murder, theft, animals, poison… and even Moriarty. It’s somewhat clumsily tied-up together, and I’m not sure if I’m the big fan of “Holmes goes under suspicion” concept - I’m not here to play Fugitive starring Harrison Ford, but to solve a crime! Some other unusual segments were added, similar to what Telltale did in Tales of Monkey Island - changing the character’s relations etc. It’s not bad to add new ideas, but purists - beware. Rose Tattoo starts slow, in the vein of The Adventure of the Bruce-Partington Plans or The Adventure of the Naval Treaty with the theft of a government document, but gradually escalates into web of affairs leading to a Cambridge University-connected members, murders and so many involved characters that you can easily lose track of everything. Testament’s story is more “confined” and easier to follow, perhaps not on its own right but definitely when compared to Rose Tattoo, but Rose Tattoo features much more ambitious and detailed story: 0-1.

Puzzles: The two games are drastically different when it comes to puzzles - Testament (like other games in the series) give players varied puzzles - this time around, it’s mostly the isolated mini-games, logic puzzles, and the trademark of the series - Deduction board. Much work has gone into puzzles, but there’re still couple of issues - few times, puzzles really feel “abstract” which does not suit the “Sherlock” feel, but a Myst-clone type of game which can break the immersion. Deduction board is great instrument to check how you apprehend the story (and consult the diary, saved documents and notes…) but there’s some questionable “open-ended” reasoning now and then, which may force the player to brute force it via quick trial&error;. Inventory puzzles are of a basic nature, and won’t present much of a hassle because you’ll hold no more than 10 objects at a time. Rose Tattoo has slightly bigger inventory count, though inventory puzzles are once again not game’s primary obstacles - actually, the game is so “wide”, at times overwhelmingly, that even though the game doesn’t have some special “weapons” in the puzzles department, you’ll often scratch your head and feel stuck even though the solution is trivial - at times, it’s as simple as missing to check the window, or use the “Look” option on a character to note something which Sherlock will use in a dialogue. Oh, the dialogue - as a reviewer once said there’s “More reading than War and Peace” Grin, but that’s not the main issue - it features the “cruel” dialogue system where you need to constantly check if there’s some new dialogue option enabled, and after the characters count progressively rises, it really becomes a problem. Still, Rose Tattoo is kind of game that forces you to dive into the gameworld, and not miss a single pixel or text on the screen. The puzzles are not the greatest strength of both games, and being diametrically different, it’s hard to compare, but I’ll still award Testament’s varied approach: 1-0

Recently finished: Four Last Things 4/5, Edna & Harvey: The Breakout 5/5, Chains of Satinav 3,95/5, A Vampyre Story 88, Sam Peters 3/5, Broken Sword 1 4,5/5, Broken Sword 2 4,3/5, Broken Sword 3 85, Broken Sword 5 81, Gray Matter 4/5\nCurrently playing: Broken Sword 4, Keepsake (Let\‘s Play), Callahan\‘s Crosstime Saloon (post-Community Playthrough)\nLooking forward to: A Playwright’s Tale

Joined 2007-07-22

PM

Gameplay: Both games are linear in gameplay, with one big distinction: Testament of Sherlock Holmes will offer you no more than few locations at a time, while in Rose Tattoo it gets up to twenty. For a detective/mystery games, I always preferred the pseudo “non-linearity” and the non-linear design when it comes to order of things, and visiting locations at your will. More so, in Testament the puzzles are usually connected to the current area/location/screen, and you can’t proceed until you’re done. It may work for and against the game, but it still feels incredibly tight and linear. Rose Tattoo has other issues - it’s painfully slow at times, like whenever you leave or get back to 221B Baker Street you need to sit through the animation of Sherlock changing his coat, opening door etc. The game also lacks the direction of what you should be doing, and has an unusual inventory system - the objects has context sensitive menus, but the menu changes from place to place, situation to situation, and you’ll never know what actions can one object achieve. Still, the less “linear” games wins here - 0:1

Atmosphere: For the atmosphere parameter, I’m choosing the “Sherlockian” feel, the sense that you’re in the middle of an investigation, the mystery and the detective research. Testament at places feels like a “random” mystery game, and if it wasn’t for the title you wouldn’t know you’re in the middle of a Sherlock Holmes story. That’s not bad per se, but the aforementioned linearity also places itself on the way of a “detective” immersion, and for that, all the job fell on the shoulders of puzzles and (especially) deduction board. Rose Tattoo plays more like a classic episode from the canon - you’ll have Mrs. Hudson, a glimpse of “life” when returning to Baker Street for a casual chat with Watson (that part also serves as a hint system), or just an idle chat at times instead of Testament’s “What should we be doing, Holmes?”, repeated over and over. Also, even though it’s a much longer game (Rose Tattoo is one of the longest adventure games ever), Rose Tatto has more “natural” flow of the mystery, though Testament’s darker mood might also suit better to other players. 0:1

Overall:

Comparative review meter explained.

Blank meters for your review.

Recently finished: Four Last Things 4/5, Edna & Harvey: The Breakout 5/5, Chains of Satinav 3,95/5, A Vampyre Story 88, Sam Peters 3/5, Broken Sword 1 4,5/5, Broken Sword 2 4,3/5, Broken Sword 3 85, Broken Sword 5 81, Gray Matter 4/5\nCurrently playing: Broken Sword 4, Keepsake (Let\‘s Play), Callahan\‘s Crosstime Saloon (post-Community Playthrough)\nLooking forward to: A Playwright’s Tale

Total Posts: 495

Joined 2008-07-23

PM

Great idea for a review Diego. Thumbs Up 

I remember back in 2005 when a new gaming magazine appeared on the Romanian market named Games Arena and every month they would have a 10 pages comparative review. I still have the first issue, where they compared Civ IV to Civ III. (Civ IV won)

Total Posts: 8471

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

diego - 14 November 2015 11:28 AM

Comparative review meter explained.

So basically dark green is 6-0, green is 5-1, light green is 4-2, yellow is 3-3, orange is 2-4, dark orange is 1-5 and red is 0-6. Tongue

Abnaxus - 14 November 2015 12:26 PM

they compared Civ IV to Civ III. (Civ IV won)

And rightfully so. Cool

Diego, is this a one-thread thing, or something that’ll get a new thread for each comparative review?

The truth can’t hurt you, it’s just like the dark: it scares you witless but in time you see things clear and stark. - Elvis Costello
Maybe this time I can be strong, but since I know who I am, I’m probably wrong. Maybe this time I can go far, but thinking about where I’ve been ain’t helping me start. - Michael Kiwanuka

Total Posts: 208

Joined 2014-01-27

PM

Awesome idea! Thank you so much. I haven’t played either of these,  but I’ll try to check them both out!

“Look behind you, a three-headed monkey!”- Guybrush Threepwood

Joined 2007-07-22

PM

Thanks! Smile Abnaxus, the local gaming magazine also had occasionally “comparative reviews”, though they were really two regular reviews placed next to each other Grin - usually, two football simulation games, two real time strategies etc.

TimovieMan - 14 November 2015 06:44 PM

So basically dark green is 6-0, green is 5-1, light green is 4-2, yellow is 3-3, orange is 2-4, dark orange is 1-5 and red is 0-6. Tongue

Hehe… clever! But there could be 3,5-2,5 as well. Or 1,5-4,5 Wink What I really thought of the Comparative review-o-meter is that, even though I’m aware it will in most cases represent the cumulative scores of the categories, it should be a separate, overall impression. Just like the “game is more than the sum of its parts.” Smile

TimovieMan - 14 November 2015 06:44 PM

Diego, is this a one-thread thing, or something that’ll get a new thread for each comparative review?

Yeah, all comparative reviews will go in this one thread, and others can post here, too. Here’re the blank meters.

Total Posts: 213

Joined 2011-11-13

PM

diego - 14 November 2015 11:20 AM

I’m starting the series of a random, unprovoked comparative reviews that will, for no good reason, compare two games that have something in common

I’ve had similar idea (although I thought criterias for pairing up) for years but I can’t find much time to play games anymore, not to mention reviewing. Frown So its good someone grabbed the bull from the horns! Smile

Total Posts: 8471

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

diego - 15 November 2015 09:10 AM

Hehe… clever! But there could be 3,5-2,5 as well. Or 1,5-4,5 Wink

Then you just put the meter on the line between two colours. Sheesh, do I have to think of everything around here? Tongue Grin

The truth can’t hurt you, it’s just like the dark: it scares you witless but in time you see things clear and stark. - Elvis Costello
Maybe this time I can be strong, but since I know who I am, I’m probably wrong. Maybe this time I can go far, but thinking about where I’ve been ain’t helping me start. - Michael Kiwanuka

Total Posts: 930

Joined 2004-01-06

PM

Re Rose Tattoo,
It is amazing what some games managed to do with the limited computer resources available in the 1990’s. The game looked amazingly good for the time, and still looks good despite low resolution. I agree with diego about the fussy dialogue puzzles though, and that Frogwares does a better job with puzzles.

&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&

For Apples to Oranges, you might even compare Frogwares’ games against one another, since Frogwares never repeats themselves and all their Sherlock games are different. The closest to the Sherlock in the books is probably Silver Earring.

Mystery of the Mummy—1st person, pseudo-Myst/Cryo style with annoying comments by Sherlock (like “it’s obvious” when you solve a puzzle) and annoying timed/instant death areas. Didn’t seem like a Sherlock Holmes game at all. After playing this back in 2002 I didn’t have much faith that Frogwares would see much success as an adventure game company. Fortunately their other Sherlock games are nothing like their first attempt.

Secret of the Silver Earring—3rd person, marred by a stealth sequence with a psychic dog that could see and smell through walls (I read somewhere that the issue was patched in German versions, so the dog detected you only when it was supposed to). If I remember right, I also had Sherlock get stuck halfway inside a cabinet at one point. Not the best of game engines.

Sherlock Holmes: The Awakened—combined Sherlock’s world with Lovecraftian Cthulhu mythos. 1st person 3D, later reissued with the option to play in 3rd person—Frogwares is the only company I know of that ever made this concession to people afflicted with simulation sickness (aka motion sickness) in 1st person 3D games.

Sherlock Holmes vs Arsene Lupin (misnamed to Sherlock Nemesis by Dreamcatcher, though anyone remotely familiar with Sherlock knows Moriarty is Sherlock’s nemesis and not Lupin) another 1st person 3D game, more lighthearted than The Awakened. Used 1st person 3D, though I’ve heard there was an updated version that allowed you to play in 3rd person. I only lasted about halfway through the game due to simulation sickness, and couldn’t find where to get the updated version with the 3rd person option before I ceased caring.

Sherlock Holmes vs Jack the Ripper—Combined Sherlock’s world with that of Jack the Ripper. Choice of 1st or 3rd person. This is my favorite despite some problems locating hotspots that were either too close together or were offscreen when played in some resolutions. For whatever reason, I enjoyed playing it at the time I played it more than any of Frogwares’ other Sherlock games. I think it’s the last Sherlock game that was available on disc, though the disc version may have required online activation.

Testament of Sherlock Holmes—Sherlock as a fugitive. Sherlock being excessively mean to Watson and other characters. Game started with a strange intro—a bunch of children finding puppets of Sherlock and Watson. Though reasons are eventually given for the significance of the children and Sherlocks bad behavior, they didn’t make up for the fact that this is not an incarnation of Sherlock that I’m interested in playing. True he wasn’t “mean” throughout the game, but it really felt like an awful lot got skipped during the transition.

Sherlock Holmes: Crimes & Punishments—featured several cases, seemingly unrelated to one another, and provided the option of allowing the culprit to get away. All the cases are related in some way. Seemed a bit too formulaic.

%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

Frogwares also made some casual games featuring Sherlock—
Sherlock Holmes: Mystery of the Persian Carpet and
Sherlock Holmes and the Hound of the Baskervilles

Frogwares felt no obligation to be true to the original story in Hound of the Baskervilles. However the game is still one of my favorite casual games, offering better puzzles than you usually see in casual games. For whatever reason, Frogwares doesn’t seem interested in making casual games any more, though IMO their casuals were a lot better than average.

Joined 2007-07-22

PM

Destination: Treasure Island (2010) vs Treasure Island (2008)

Ahoy there landlubbers! It’s Robert Louis Stevenson’s classic in this episode, in two video game versions - one from Kheops, and the other from Radon Labs.

Graphics:

Destination: Treasure Island (DTI) has a typical Kheops “warmness” and beauty to it, but Treasure Island (TI) has unparalleled level of details and 3D quality. DTI vs TI 0-1

Sound: DTI has a better voice acting, but that doesn’t tell much because TI has a much bigger character count, and DTI is simply more of a solitary exploration. Both games have solid orchestral music, and in case of TI it really feels like it’s from one of the Treasure Island movies. 0,5-0,5

Story: If you like imaginary “continuation” of the story, go for DTI, and if want a faithful adaption (with a minor additions) then TI is for you. 0,5-0,5

Puzzles: DTI has a typical variety of puzzles, and if you’ve played Return to Mysterious Island or similar Kheops games you know what to expect. The problem is - it’s probably the easiest Kheops game, and only the final puzzle which involves the Mayan calendar could’ve made it in a typical Myst-clone. TI is a typical inventory puzzle-fare, with triggers (some of them quite boring), but also couple of puzzles that try to break the mold. 0.5-0.5

Gameplay: DTI has a comfortable interface and perfectly fluid scene rotation, with the familiar inventory system. There’s no backtracking like in other Kheops games, as it’s also the most linear game in their catalogue. TI has some really nasty triggers that are barely connected to the main story, and has a similar problem like Dreamfall - there’s simply too much running & backtracking involved.1-0

Atmosphere: They both succeed on the “pirate atmosphere” level, though in a very different manner. DTI is a lighthearted take on the material (aimed somewhat at younger audience), just as you were playing a pirate-themed pinball machine. Grin TI tries to be a “realistic” (it mimics the cult classic from 1950. and 1990. in several occasions), more serious and epic version, though it starts slow and you need to wait a bit for the things to get going. 0.5-0.5

Overall:

Joined 2004-01-06

PM

Actually Destination: Treasure Island on PC is from 2006.
2010 is the iPad date.

You’re right about it being easy though.
It was too easy for me, and kind of a disappointment.

I might have liked the other Treasure Island game better, but I don’t remember ever hearing about it before.

Total Posts: 5051

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

crabapple - 15 November 2015 04:32 PM

Frogwares also made some casual games featuring Sherlock—
Sherlock Holmes: Mystery of the Persian Carpet and
Sherlock Holmes and the Hound of the Baskervilles

Frogwares felt no obligation to be true to the original story in Hound of the Baskervilles. However the game is still one of my favorite casual games, offering better puzzles than you usually see in casual games. For whatever reason, Frogwares doesn’t seem interested in making casual games any more, though IMO their casuals were a lot better than average.

I agree re: Sherlock Holmes and the Hound of the Baskervilles One of the interesting things about the game was that you could play in either of two levels of difficulty. That, in itself, is nothing new. But the fact that the puzzles, themselves dramatically increased in difficulty if you chose the harder level was something new. I think it was the first to do that. And I am hard pressed to think of many more games that followed that model.

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

Joined 2004-01-06

PM

I was thinking of buying that Treasure Island 2008 game after reading diego’s review, and was wondering whether there was any problem playing it on Windows 7 or 8.
Does anyone know if there is any copy protection problem playing it on Windows 7 or 8 as opposed to XP?
I noticed one of the Microsoft Windows 7 updates I installed blocked secdrv.sys which is part of SecuROM,
http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2015/09/23/windows-update-disables-safedisc-drm-7-8-vista/
But I don’t know what DRM Treasure Island 2008 uses, if any.
SecuROM v7.x never worked properly on my XP computer even without a Windows update blocking it.

For anyone interested in playing “Destination: Treasure Island,”
The disc version of Destination: Treasure Island used TAGES, which may need a TAGES update or NoCD to play on Win7, but it is available DRM-Free at Fireflower anyway, currently at a huge discount—only €1.99
http://fireflowergames.com/shop/destination-treasure-island/
so I’d probably just re-purchase if I wanted to replay it.

Unfortunately Fireflower doesn’t offer the “non-Destination” Treasure Island game.

Total Posts: 5835

Joined 2012-03-24

PM

Hi crabapple, I didn’t have any problem in installing & playing the disc version of Treasure Island (non-Destination!) on Win 7 64 bit if that helps! (If there’s any copy protection I wasn’t aware of it!)

Joined 2004-01-06

PM

Thanks for letting me know, chrissie.
64-bit is what I have.

Total Posts: 1573

Joined 2003-09-10

PM

I played both Treasure games years ago on Win XP. Both are good games. I played Destination first and Treasure Island after that—if you have a choice, you should probably play Treasure Island first so you experience the original story before the Destination follow-up.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top