• Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums
continue reading below

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

TimovieMan

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

gabriel knight 1 vs Broken sword 1 wich one I think is better

Total Posts: 1338

Joined 2009-08-06

PM

TimovieMan - 01 July 2015 03:17 PM

I thought Broken Sword was good, but so very very overrated. It’s a mere 3/5 in my book.

GK on the other hand is brilliant, gets a 4.5 in my book, and is in my AG all-time top 20.

GK is by far the better game for me. Better dialogue, better buildup, more satisfying in every way. The pace of GK is one of the best I’ve ever experienced in a game, with the slow start and steadily having the mystery creep up on you until the riveting climax. I’ve rarely seen a game with such a great build-up.
Broken Sword simply can’t compete with that.

And even though I’ll concede that Tim Curry was indeed inconsistent with his acting and dialect, you have to admit that the Cajun narration was as atmospheric as can be…

Exactly this. I already pointed out the difference in quality of pacing, but your elaboration is spot on.

What is your top 20 Tim?

Total Posts: 1079

Joined 2003-09-30

PM

GK is a thriller have some authentic background setting,highly dramatic writing with super natural touch.
BS is a sleuth parody,have romantic to silly dialogue writing and best hand drawed
graphics of time.
So which one is better depends daily cognition.

“Going on means going far - Going far means returning”

Total Posts: 8471

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

Origami - 01 July 2015 03:32 PM

What is your top 20 Tim?

See here (that was from before I’d played GK1 though).

Latest top 15 (after I’d played GK1)

Toonstruck has since entered the top 10, though (the 7-9 range with The Dig and Callahan’s).

The truth can’t hurt you, it’s just like the dark: it scares you witless but in time you see things clear and stark. - Elvis Costello
Maybe this time I can be strong, but since I know who I am, I’m probably wrong. Maybe this time I can go far, but thinking about where I’ve been ain’t helping me start. - Michael Kiwanuka

Total Posts: 1655

Joined 2015-07-01

PM

I will concede that the ;pacing is slightly better in GK but I think the way the story unfolds is far superior in broken sword and the game kept you guessing

honestly in GK did anybody not know that Dr john was the bad guy, the dialogue written for his character made it so obvious he might as well as had a neon sign over his head saying don trust me. Like I said I was able to piece the main story line of gk1 together by day 2, not saying thats a bad thing bc its still a great story with the voodoo aspects and all but…...

in broken sword I think the story just kept you guessing more with who is the bad guy and who is not with the assassin and templars. I mean the story must be good dan brown basically stole broken swords story for his book, as well as the assassins creed games lol Tongue

Joined 2015-07-01

PM

TimovieMan - 01 July 2015 03:17 PM

I thought Broken Sword was good, but so very very overrated. It’s a mere 3/5 in my book.

GK on the other hand is brilliant, gets a 4.5 in my book, and is in my AG all-time top 20.

GK is by far the better game for me. Better dialogue, better buildup, more satisfying in every way. The pace of GK is one of the best I’ve ever experienced in a game, with the slow start and steadily having the mystery creep up on you until the riveting climax. I’ve rarely seen a game with such a great build-up.
Broken Sword simply can’t compete with that.

And even though I’ll concede that Tim Curry was indeed inconsistent with his acting and dialect, you have to admit that the Cajun narration was as atmospheric as can be…

sort of the narrator sounded like Miss cleo but I did not have a problem with her, she sometimes talked to slowly for my liking.

I like having this debate bc I can see it going either way. my favorite adventure game of all time is broken sword 1 but Gk 1 has already cracked my top 5. number 2 for me is full throttle but its more for the memories that were created around that game than the actual game. Another game in my top ten would be blade runner. I need to make a top ten list

Total Posts: 1555

Joined 2005-12-06

PM

I don’t think Gabriel Knight ever was supposed to be a whodunnit thriller where you keep guessing who the bad guy is. It’s about creating the ominous atmosphere, where scary voodoo guys are essential. There is no twist or one big reveal, only the feeling of getting more and more dragged into darkness, and at the same time uncovering the whole fate aspect of it.

Currently Playing: Dragon Age Origins: Awakening
Recently Played: Red Embrace: Hollywood, Dorfromantik, Heirs & Graces, AI: The Somnium Files, PRICE, Frostpunk, The Shapeshifting Detective (CPT), Disco Elysium, Dream Daddy, Four Last Things, Jenny LeClue - Detectivu, The Signifier

Joined 2015-07-01

PM

millenia - 01 July 2015 04:50 PM

I don’t think Gabriel Knight ever was supposed to be a whodunnit thriller where you keep guessing who the bad guy is. It’s about creating the ominous atmosphere, where scary voodoo guys are essential. There is no twist or one big reveal, only the feeling of getting more and more dragged into darkness, and at the same time uncovering the whole fate aspect of it.

see I disagree I mean you can compare the scales from three different snakes to see which one was at the crime scene. I mean was the even necessary we all knew which snake it was way before gabe did. rather its a who done it or not I feel like jane wrote the dr john character a little to on the nose, it would have been cool if he was a red herring instead but oh well.

Plus and I could be wrong here I feel like jane thought the dream sequences would be harder to piece together than they actually were, I figured it out very quickly that the guy being strangled was related to gabriel and that witch was related to gedde somehow.

Total Posts: 8471

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

^ This.

The truth can’t hurt you, it’s just like the dark: it scares you witless but in time you see things clear and stark. - Elvis Costello
Maybe this time I can be strong, but since I know who I am, I’m probably wrong. Maybe this time I can go far, but thinking about where I’ve been ain’t helping me start. - Michael Kiwanuka

Joined 2015-07-01

PM

TimovieMan - 01 July 2015 04:57 PM

^ This.

still some of dr johns responses were way over the top here is gabriel what can you tell me about this voodoo aspect his reply would always be over dramatic and very angry for no reason, other than he had something to hide

Total Posts: 2582

Joined 2005-08-12

PM

^ This.

I’ll add that, originally, the game came with a graphic novel that told Gunter and Tetelo’s story. So you know from the start what the dreams mean, even if Gabriel doesn’t. And from the second you meet Malia at the end of Day 1, you know exactly where the story is going. I don’t think it was ever meant to be a surprise or a mystery.

Joined 2015-07-01

PM

Kurufinwe - 01 July 2015 05:03 PM

^ This.

I’ll add that, originally, the game came with a graphic novel that told Gunter and Tetelo’s story. So you know from the start what the dreams mean, even if Gabriel doesn’t. And from the second you meet Malia at the end of Day 1, you know exactly where the story is going. I don’t think it was ever meant to be a surprise or a mystery.

I had the original as a kid and never got the graphic novel I feel ripped off, a digital version of the graphic novel came with the remake, but when you clicked on it, a message came up not to read it until after day 6 bc it contained spoilers. so I assumed it was suppose to be a mystery in the game until you got to a certain pt in the story. If we were suppose to know about it cool then.

Joined 2015-07-01

PM

last thing I also think it might be a setting issue for me. while I liked all the information on voodoo and jane implements voodoo in the game in a fun and fascinating way for sure. I have always been a knights, and crusades type of guy, and I love games set in Europe especially ireland. Plus Im a huge Indiana jones fan, and the broken sword games are basically unofficial sequels to those movies lol.

You know the more I think about it george and gabriel might be cousins, just think about it both are blonde, tall, gangly, and a little gaunt. they both get pushed into mysteries that they dont want to be part of and they are both monster hunters in a way I mean george does take on a mummy in broken sword 2. hmmmmmmmmm I think im on to something lol

Total Posts: 1279

Joined 2012-07-11

PM

I think the supernatural elements was what turned me away from the GK series a bit. Both have them of course, but in GK it felt like they were used to dance around plot issues etc.

Also, whoever voted against Broken Sword now joins the list:

Wink

Recently completed: Game of Thrones (decent), Tales from the borderlands (great!), Life is Strange (great!), Stasis (good), Annas Quest (great!); Broken Age (poor)

Total Posts: 600

Joined 2011-06-07

PM

Slightly favored towards Broken Sword 1.
Both games are excellent on almost all aspects and belong in my Top 10, but especially the fact that Gabriel Knight 1 is one the last games of that era with low-res graphics and the Broken Sword 1 has one the best graphic designs of the newer era, puts Broken Sword 1 just above.

Total Posts: 8720

Joined 2012-01-02

PM

chrissie - 01 July 2015 01:52 PM

(Advie - where are you? as we need a Cage Match now! Laughing)

i am here chrissie, and i think this is a cage match already on its own,  tho its not at the same formula, but i reckon it could be more constructive by not demanding a winner here,  at the end.

also i would like to mention that i had had similiar pair ready to be given with one of the next matches, but from a total different prespective; Broken Sword5 Vs Broken Age,  two fair ags came recently outta two classic devs, after going through two successful kickstarters.

as for this current match i choose Gk1, BS would win in my book if the comparison was for BS2 instead of BS1.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top