• Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums
continue reading below

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Adventure Game Scene of the Day — Tuesday 19 May 2015

Total Posts: 7446

Joined 2013-08-26

PM

I had planned another midweek: Mazes with a Twist. But Iznogood might want to post one or two amazing mazes during his AGSotD year and I don’t want to steal his thunder. So I’ll confine myself to a rare and obscure game which consists of one maze and one puzzle.
Yes, it’s Fringe Day again!

The Riddle of the Maze (1994) is based on the book by Christopher Manson. It was already impossible to find in my collecting days, so I only have the book. The cover says:  Solve the World’s Most Challenging Puzzle.  I don’t know about that, but challenging it most certainly is. The game consists of 45 rooms. Find the way to the center of the maze and back in as few moves as possible. Everything may be a clue. Or not. Discover the puzzle in room 45 and solve it with the aid of clues along the shortest route. The narrator is your guide through the maze and his cryptic comments on each room are supposed to be helpful. His text for room 22:

...a gaudy room that reminded me of a theatrical backdrop. Places like this are overdone, for my taste, but some people like the exotic…well, everyone is a critic.
It’s true, I am by nature extremely critical. Although my life is a lonely one I have not spared any of my guests the rigor of my judgment…. We all have our roles to play.
This is not a bad place, really; one could spend quite some time here. However, in their restive way, the group moved on to…

Here’s the same page 22 in the book. Black and yellow, no colors. I like the game version much better. 

And this is the online version, which can still be played.  Awfully small though, the visual clues are hard to see.
http://archives.obs-us.com/obs/english/books/holt/books/maze

PS: The game screenshot is from the old Four Fat Chicks site, as you can see by the logo in the corner.

Butter my buns and call me a biscuit! - Agent A

Total Posts: 2993

Joined 2012-03-09

PM

I’m bad enough with mazes as it is.
Reading it’s description, I imagined this game as some kind of tormenting nightmare….
The room is nicely drawn though.

Total Posts: 3933

Joined 2011-03-14

PM

Karlok - 19 May 2015 07:01 AM

I had planned another midweek: Mazes with a Twist. But Iznogood might want to post one or two amazing mazes during his AGSotD year and I don’t want to steal his thunder.

I might Tongue But don’t worry about stealing my thunder, I’m sure there is enough mazes for everyone.

Anyway I have never heard of this game, but I think I might have liked it.

You have to play the game, to find out why you are playing the game! - eXistenZ

Total Posts: 7446

Joined 2013-08-26

PM

Iznogood - 19 May 2015 07:17 AM

I might Tongue But don’t worry about stealing my thunder, I’m sure there is enough mazes for everyone.

Too many. Not nearly enough really nice mazes. Like the one in Obsidian. 

Anyway I have never heard of this game, but I think I might have liked it.

Buy the book for a few bucks. Clicking on doorways or turning pages, what’s the difference.

PS: I suddenly remembered a truly awful maze in a text adventure. Don’t know which one, must have been Infocom, probably Enchanter or Sorcerer. You changed into a bird and had to fly through a “3D” maze. You could fly north, east, west, south, as well as up and down.  Sick

PPS: Yep, it was the glass maze in Sorcerer.

Butter my buns and call me a biscuit! - Agent A

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top