• Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums
continue reading below

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Escape from Monkey Island…

Total Posts: 67

Joined 2014-08-20

PM

I’m not the biggest LucasArts fan, to be honest, but I do enjoy MI..COMI is my favorite of the bunch. That said, I watched a playthrough of Escape from Monkey Island and…What the hell? What the heck happened? Why is it so ugly, and charmless? Why does the writing fall so flat, and Guybrush looks like a creepy drugged up doll? I know this was 2000 but character models in other PC games were much less ugly than that. What happened? Why did they drop the ball so hard?

Total Posts: 4011

Joined 2011-04-01

PM

It’s an enjoyable game, but fair enough if you don’t like it. Although, I wouldn’t necessarily form opinions based on youtube playthroughs. Half the fun is in playing it yourself. And, as I can’t imagine you watched the whole thing, Act 1 is easily the worst part of the game.

Total Posts: 2582

Joined 2005-08-12

PM

I can live with the outdated graphics and awful interface, but the game’s unfunniness (and the complete unlikeability of every single character) is what I can’t stomach. When you’re doing a parody of a parody, you’re doing something wrong.

How Sean Clark and Mike Stemmle went from the brilliant Hit the Road to that mess is a mystery to me.

Total Posts: 1279

Joined 2012-07-11

PM

Not a fan of the series personally. The puzzles and characters never really clicked for me. I’ve played them, but meh…

Think the worst puzzle in EFMI was the time travel rubbish for me.

Recently completed: Game of Thrones (decent), Tales from the borderlands (great!), Life is Strange (great!), Stasis (good), Annas Quest (great!); Broken Age (poor)

Total Posts: 8471

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

You’re all bonkers. Just because it’s the weakest of the four games does NOT make it a bad game. I love Escape from Monkey Island!

Vastly underrated in my book.

@ Dance Magic Dance: are you starting a thread for Simon 3D as well, so we can go for a trifecta of most underrated games? Tongue

The truth can’t hurt you, it’s just like the dark: it scares you witless but in time you see things clear and stark. - Elvis Costello
Maybe this time I can be strong, but since I know who I am, I’m probably wrong. Maybe this time I can go far, but thinking about where I’ve been ain’t helping me start. - Michael Kiwanuka

Total Posts: 601

Joined 2014-11-29

PM

Well, that’s what happens when you switch teams around on franchises, you will definitely get a whole different game. I haven’t played enough of it to fully form an opinion, but that’s cause it was such a letdown coming from CoMI that I couldn’t bring myself to go on. Just too huge of a step in a different direction. Plus, I loved Larry Ahern’s writing and this was nowhere near it (I’m not necessarily talking quality, just style I guess). I don’t even wanna start comparing visuals…

Total Posts: 6595

Joined 2007-07-22

PM

Seriously, I can understand if the humor didn’t click with you, or if you’re disappointed when comparing it to the previous one… and it is true they went overboard with anachronisms, but this game is LOADED with content - plenty of interesting characters (even the side characters, like the shop owners are more developed than some of the main characters in other games), touch of mystery with the plot, not-your-usual bad guy etc… It fell victim to a 3D craze, yes, but you forget about it after 5 minutes.

In many ways, it’s similar to Broken Sword 3 - good game on its own, but “bad” in eyes of critics when compared to the previous games.

Recently finished: Four Last Things 4/5, Edna & Harvey: The Breakout 5/5, Chains of Satinav 3,95/5, A Vampyre Story 88, Sam Peters 3/5, Broken Sword 1 4,5/5, Broken Sword 2 4,3/5, Broken Sword 3 85, Broken Sword 5 81, Gray Matter 4/5\nCurrently playing: Broken Sword 4, Keepsake (Let\‘s Play), Callahan\‘s Crosstime Saloon (post-Community Playthrough)\nLooking forward to: A Playwright’s Tale

Total Posts: 3933

Joined 2011-03-14

PM

TimovieMan - 22 April 2015 06:49 AM

You’re all bonkers. Just because it’s the weakest of the four games does NOT make it a bad game.

I agree - It is the “worst” in the MI series, but it is still a fairly good game.

(And yes, I also enjoyed Simon 3D and KQVII)

You have to play the game, to find out why you are playing the game! - eXistenZ

Total Posts: 2653

Joined 2013-03-14

PM

I think Escape is pretty good game as such. Weakest one in the series as such, but still enjoyable and has some good laughs in it. The biggest thing I don’t like is the Monkey Combat bit, not because it’s action scene, nor I find it difficult, but because as it is, I find it dull and as a parody it just is too long.

Total Posts: 1289

Joined 2012-07-15

PM

Dance Magic Dance - 22 April 2015 04:31 AM

That said, I watched a playthrough of Escape from Monkey Island and…What the hell? What the heck happened? Why is it so ugly, and charmless?

I completely agree, it really is all that, and there isn’t much I can say about it without repeating myself. Suffice to say, few people were more upset by MI4’s visual direction than I. MI4 is one of many games that was very difficult for me to enjoy because I couldn’t stop thinking about how good it could’ve been if my eyes weren’t bleeding.

Duckman: Can you believe it? Five hundred bucks for a parking ticket?
Cornfed Pig: You parked in a handicapped zone.
Duckman: Who cares? Nobody parks there anyway, except for the people who are supposed to park there and, hell, I can outrun them anytime.

Total Posts: 8998

Joined 2004-01-05

PM

I don’t remember most of it (except for Monkey Kombat) because I only played it once at release and didn’t like it much. But that 3D… It was normal at the time but so ugly…

Total Posts: 8720

Joined 2012-01-02

PM

@MDM did you happen to visit this thread http://www.adventuregamers.com/forums/viewthread/1100, i guess you would like it.

Total Posts: 932

Joined 2004-03-23

PM

For “worst of the series” - are you counting the Telltale games? Because, surely they were worse than EfMI. EfMI was quite alright by my books, the TT version was very meh.

Total Posts: 2653

Joined 2013-03-14

PM

Personally I’m counting TT games as well, which I liked better than Escape.

Total Posts: 415

Joined 2007-12-29

PM

I tried to play Escape from MI a few months ago and it wouldn’t work on my windows 7 computer. Does anyone know how to get it to work?

Total Posts: 2704

Joined 2004-08-02

PM

Escape from Monkey Island was probably my worst favorite game from Lucas Arts. I really found the humor in it flat compared to the older Monkey Island games, and the puzzles were unimaginative. Also Monkey Kombat is just sad.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top