• Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums
continue reading below

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

King’s Quest ‘2015’ (All The Positive Talk)

Total Posts: 506

Joined 2003-09-10

PM

AG’s preview is up! http://www.adventuregamers.com/articles/view/28311

I hope this addresses a lot of the questions that people have been wondering about. It’s *not* a platformer. It feels very King’s Quest-y. The art seems like a perfect blend of the later games: lush, handpainted, and cinematic, with fluid animation. The framing narrative (Graham telling stories to Gwendolyn) seems like a really great way to work new stories into the existing KQ timeline while also giving them some fun ways to play with death scenarios and player choice.

To avoid spoilers, I didn’t put a lot of detail in the preview about the specific puzzles. Most of what I saw related to the environment (finding a way through the dragon’s lair, finding a way across the river) and the methods for doing that remind me a bit of King’s Quest I. Matt clarified during our demo that what he was showing me was pretty linear because that’s the easiest stuff to demo, but that much of the game is non-linear with lots of exploration, finding objects and figuring out where to use them, etc.—which also sounds very King’s Quest. When you pick up an item a “de de deee!” chime plays just like in KQ6.

Anyway, no need to rehash it all here. Go read it.

And in case it’s not clear… after what I saw last week, I’m super excited about this game. Grin

Total Posts: 928

Joined 2009-11-10

PM

This really makes me excited about the new game. Even if the puzzles end up being a bit on the simple side, I’ll be happy as long as it’s more of an adventure game and if the environment, the world and the story feels king quest-y.

Anyway, wait and see, there’s no point in bashing a game without having played it first Smile Plus on average, I find that your reviews match taste, fov, so if you’re excited it’s a very good sign in my book.

Total Posts: 8998

Joined 2004-01-05

PM

Very good preview. I specially liked this part:

But environmental puzzles aren’t all the series reboot has to offer. Later the game will open up in “a section that’s basically like King’s Quest I, where you can roam the whole forest, and you can grab something from one side of the map and try to figure out where it goes.”

Sounds good

Total Posts: 990

Joined 2009-05-08

PM

Gee, you were right - that hat does seem awkward.

It all sounds promising though and it’s as if the devs are more interested in keeping true to the original series with good storytelling than sacrificing all that they can to reach all audiences. Curious to see the balance they strike.

Total Posts: 2653

Joined 2013-03-14

PM

The way the narrative is described sounds a bit similar on how it works on Dreamfall, though not to same extent. It’s also great that they aim to keep the same feel that the original series had. I can’t think any other series that would have done the same mix of naive fairytale optimism and fantasy feel as well. A lot of games have borrowed from fairytales, of course, but KQ games managed to make them always feel like something else than overglued pieces, desbite the games always were quite a motley mix of stuff.

Total Posts: 1289

Joined 2012-07-15

PM

wilco - 13 March 2015 05:33 PM

But environmental puzzles aren’t all the series reboot has to offer. Later the game will open up in “a section that’s basically like King’s Quest I, where you can roam the whole forest, and you can grab something from one side of the map and try to figure out where it goes.”

Sounds good

Yes! This is what I wanted to hear! Smile

Duckman: Can you believe it? Five hundred bucks for a parking ticket?
Cornfed Pig: You parked in a handicapped zone.
Duckman: Who cares? Nobody parks there anyway, except for the people who are supposed to park there and, hell, I can outrun them anytime.

Total Posts: 8720

Joined 2012-01-02

PM

Sounds good

the best ‘positive’ thing i heard of the project ever!, so far ..Smile

Thanks Fov for this nice review and effort

Total Posts: 7109

Joined 2005-09-29

PM

Sounds good

He is also very well versed with the series, and i hope it gets Sales and Korba
does SpaceQuest as he mentions.

Good questions, Fov.

Total Posts: 67

Joined 2014-08-20

PM

Honestly, now I’m pumped.
And I want this game to succeed and I want to see them try to tackle Space Quest next.

Total Posts: 7109

Joined 2005-09-29

PM

Dance Magic Dance - 14 March 2015 02:59 PM

And I want this game to succeed and I want to see them try to tackle Space Quest next.

Imagine if he would take same graphics making process and approach, SpaceQuest will look
something else.

Total Posts: 8720

Joined 2012-01-02

PM

thejobloshow - 11 March 2015 08:01 PM

This forum is starting to feel like a dive bar whose clientele is separated between happy drunks and mean drunks.

The happy drunks are slapping the other users on the back going “buddy, let me tell you about this game! I *hic* looooove this game, man. I LOVE IT!”

Meanwhile, the mean drunks are looking bitterly into their drink decrying the impatience of youth. “These kids today, they don’t understand that reward should come from HARD WORK!”

Sorry , I had to push this quote front again, because seriously it just had cracked me up, and still Sarcastic  Sarcastic

Joined 2014-08-20

PM

I’m re-watching the gameplay video…Does anyone else think the art/graphic style looks incredibly fairy tale? Almost like the illustrations of Arthur Rackham come to life:

Total Posts: 84

Joined 2012-06-18

PM

Dance Magic Dance - 14 March 2015 02:59 PM

Yes, I’m buying it for the sake of a new Space Quest!

Joined 2014-08-20

PM

Honestly this game is making me re-buy a lot of KQ stuff I’d lost. I’m so excited.
Also, I love the little details the developers are putting in just for KQ fans. I mean this is a 2015 era game and yet Graham has his trademark mullet.

It’s a tiny little detail but shows they have a respect for the lore. They could’ve totally overhauled his appearance to make him look like a more modern hero, but outside of his muscles he looks exactly as he does in KQ5, and we’re only seeing a teenage/very young Graham here. Just little things like that, or paying homage to Alexander’s origins by naming his daughter Gwendolyn, show these guys are really honestly doing their best to make this a true KQ game.

Total Posts: 8998

Joined 2004-01-05

PM

Next episode will be about Graham hitting the gym to gain some muscles!

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top