• Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums
continue reading below

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

walas74

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Did casuals influence the genre?

Total Posts: 8471

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

Yet interestingly, the casual playthroughs here have had a lot of discussion about the story.

Heck, I’d like to point to Enigmatis: Mists of Ravenwood as a solid game where treating the story seriously is not showing the game’s weaknesses, but enhancing its strengths instead..

The truth can’t hurt you, it’s just like the dark: it scares you witless but in time you see things clear and stark. - Elvis Costello
Maybe this time I can be strong, but since I know who I am, I’m probably wrong. Maybe this time I can go far, but thinking about where I’ve been ain’t helping me start. - Michael Kiwanuka

Total Posts: 1341

Joined 2012-02-17

PM

I’m not saying the stories themselves are bad. I’m saying that the more prominent the story, the more it’s exposed how badly the casual gameplay is integrated to service that story.

It seems like most casual developers base their gameplay on the MAP, not the story. Meaning, Room A has Puzzle X which opens Room B with Puzzle Y and HOG J that reveals Objects M and N needed to access Puzzle Z, which leads to Room C, etc. The story could be anything at that point in the design process. In fact, the story and puzzles/HOG scenes could be entirely interchangeable with exactly the same design. Again, I have no problem with that in its own right. That’s exactly what casual gameplay is all about. What I have a problem with is it being completely incongruous with the story most of the time. 

This is pretty much the same problem that befell all the lousy Myst clones back in the day. The Millers (and a few others) understood how to balance gameplay and solitary backstory/exploration. The other games just threw a bunch of random puzzles into an empty world and filled up pages of diaries with exposition. Much, much different things.

If people are content to have the two conflicting interests work side-by-side (rather than truly connecting), more power to ‘em. I’m certainly not trying to talk anyone out of something they like. I’m just saying that for me, I finally hit a breaking point of lousy integration that I could no longer tolerate.

Total Posts: 401

Joined 2003-09-16

PM

I have always been puzzle centric in my choice of Adventures. Story is secondary for me. There are very few recent and current adventures that interest me, so I fill my time with Casual games. I agree with Jackal that the casuals are trying to have more of a coherent storyline. I get around that by skipping through all dialogue and cut scenes. I also find that they are getting easier. There seems to be lots to do - click on this to get that to use there, etc. - but there is no thinking involved. Many of the puzzles have the solutions posted right beside them.
Since I don’t play current adventures, I can’t comment on their evolution. I can only hope there will come a time when games like Rhem and Riven become popular again, or at least available.

Total Posts: 6590

Joined 2007-07-22

PM

TimovieMan - 06 February 2015 04:09 PM

I agree with Iznogood: our genre’s being influenced by general gaming trends, not by casuals.

Yes, but still - while every genre has its own “casuals”, are adventures, more than any other genre, being influenced, not only by the general gaming trends, but also by the casual adventures as the prevalent casual sub-genre in the last 5 years? And so, will the two co-exist or “blend” into one? Again, you can contradict the notion saying that casual adventures are being influenced by general gaming trends Smile, and even if adventures ARE influenced by casuals, it’s because of the trends. But let me repeat - none other casual sub-genre experienced the boom and hyper-production like casual adventures/HOGs. There always be diversity (like in difficulty, puzzles/story ratio, game length…) and we’ve agreed many times that’s one of the key reasons adventures are indestructible, but if it’s a two way street:

and adventures ARE becoming more like casuals, and casuals are becoming more like adventures, will “majority” of games of both become the “same” - the very same market? (as Jack noted in the article)

Jackal - 06 February 2015 06:01 PM

Incidentally, this is a totally random observation, but I personally find that the more casual games are becoming adventure-like, the worse they’re getting.  Pan

Well, like already stated, with every new bit of a story, puzzle… here and there, they’re losing a piece of the main strength people (mainly) love to play them for (or love to play them for WHILE taking a break from the full-fledged adventure), its effectiveness and accessible gameplay. But when I played Royal Trouble, and for the first time realized casuals are seriously “influenced” by and going into the adventure game realm direction, I enjoyed both the game and that revelation very much (the two playable characters exchange inventory objects while being on different locations, for Christ’s sake!) that I kept wondering “what if” authors let you actually choose what to say in a conversation, let you walk freely through multiple screens instead of couple of them, if the game was a little bit longer…

Recently finished: Four Last Things 4/5, Edna & Harvey: The Breakout 5/5, Chains of Satinav 3,95/5, A Vampyre Story 88, Sam Peters 3/5, Broken Sword 1 4,5/5, Broken Sword 2 4,3/5, Broken Sword 3 85, Broken Sword 5 81, Gray Matter 4/5\nCurrently playing: Broken Sword 4, Keepsake (Let\‘s Play), Callahan\‘s Crosstime Saloon (post-Community Playthrough)\nLooking forward to: A Playwright’s Tale

Total Posts: 3933

Joined 2011-03-14

PM

diego - 07 February 2015 07:08 PM

And so, will the two co-exist or “blend” into one?

Well it is hard to predict the future, but what I can say is that at least to me Casuals and Adventures feels very different. It can be hard to describe in a few words what the difference is, though Jackal mentioned some of those differences. Even Casuals that have a lot of story or aren’t based entirely on HO still doesn’t fell like playing an AG, and even the most “casual” AG’s doesn’t feel the same as playing a Casual.

In fact I don’t think of Casuals as casual adventure games, but instead of them as a different genre, that just happens to be closely related to adventure games. It is kind of similar to how playing Mass Effect is still very different from playing L.A. Noire, even though ME is also a very story heavy game and LAN also have action parts.

I don’t think… Well I don’t hope that AG’s will become anymore casual then they already are, and loose what makes them special and differentiates them from Casuals, and I don’t think that Casuals will ever loose what makes them special and become fully fledged adventures, though there might be a few games here and there that are so close that it can be hard to tell which genre it belongs in.

So my guess/hope is that they will continue to co-exist.

You have to play the game, to find out why you are playing the game! - eXistenZ

Total Posts: 3200

Joined 2007-01-04

PM

Casual games make a good gateway into the hobby. Some people will start with casual games then move into the more traditional ones.

Heart

I enjoy playing adventure games on my Alienware M17 r4 and my Nintendo Switch OLED.

Joined 2007-07-22

PM

Iznogood - 08 February 2015 04:46 AM

Well it is hard to predict the future, but what I can say is that at least to me Casuals and Adventures feels very different.

Yes, and 2015. is full of incoming “big shots”, but there could be some examples where it’s hard to tell the difference. For example, take a look at this upcoming game - Herald:

Of course, it’s an indie studio, but it’s not listed as “casual” like other games, but I get that “feel”.

Recently finished: Four Last Things 4/5, Edna & Harvey: The Breakout 5/5, Chains of Satinav 3,95/5, A Vampyre Story 88, Sam Peters 3/5, Broken Sword 1 4,5/5, Broken Sword 2 4,3/5, Broken Sword 3 85, Broken Sword 5 81, Gray Matter 4/5\nCurrently playing: Broken Sword 4, Keepsake (Let\‘s Play), Callahan\‘s Crosstime Saloon (post-Community Playthrough)\nLooking forward to: A Playwright’s Tale

Total Posts: 10

Joined 2011-09-08

PM

first of all sorry for my ENG

anyway

what really happening now is shame

-episodic games
-stupid games
-empty games
-yearly same franchise
-classic Master Race games (DEAD)

honestly most of this generation games r same
war..football..hack and slash ...etc etc

im tired of these games honestly..yes i enjoy some of them like

Mass Effect
Batman Arkham
Deus Ex
Dead Space

but its just few games

even new most adventure games r HIDDEN OBJECT
even if its hard..its boaring..sorry but not my type

i need the real classic games to come back like these:

sanitarium
beneath a steel sky
Gabriel Knight

and those kind of games

there’s STORY,PUZZLES,GAMEPLAY,INTERSTING,NEVER GET BOARED
AND DONT WATCH WALKGHROUGH TO ENJOY EVERY SINGLE SECOND OF IT

Joined 2007-07-22

PM

kaicooper - 08 February 2015 03:41 PM

i need the real classic games to come back like these:

Gabriel Knight

Then VOTE!

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top