• Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums
continue reading below

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

How important are graphics to you in an adventure game

Total Posts: 2653

Joined 2013-03-14

PM

Yup, Thimbleweeds graphics aren’t really meant to look good. It looks exactly what Ron promised, nothing more, nothing less.

But in any case, for me personally the aesthetics of the graphcs and the how they fit to the story are very important. If the style of art doesn’t fit to the style of the story I will most likely like the game less.

Total Posts: 601

Joined 2014-11-29

PM

Yeah, and correction - the fact that I personally find them a bit ugly is irrelevant and directly related to the fact that I came into adventure gaming a heck of a lot later. I’m sure if I were 10 years older and would have played MM back in the day it would have blown my mind visually at the time, and I’d still find them appealing. So, it’s really amazing to me that so many 20 year olds for example appreciate pixelated aesthetics that existed way before they were born… So in that respect, they’re more evolved than I am, I guess Smile

Total Posts: 8471

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

Mr Underhill - 22 January 2015 05:46 AM

So in that respect, they’re more evolved than I am, I guess Smile

Or they’re just trying to be hipsters. Tongue

The truth can’t hurt you, it’s just like the dark: it scares you witless but in time you see things clear and stark. - Elvis Costello
Maybe this time I can be strong, but since I know who I am, I’m probably wrong. Maybe this time I can go far, but thinking about where I’ve been ain’t helping me start. - Michael Kiwanuka

Total Posts: 21

Joined 2012-05-20

PM

Mr Underhill - 22 January 2015 05:46 AM

Yeah, and correction - the fact that I personally find them a bit ugly is irrelevant and directly related to the fact that I came into adventure gaming a heck of a lot later. I’m sure if I were 10 years older and would have played MM back in the day it would have blown my mind visually at the time, and I’d still find them appealing. So, it’s really amazing to me that so many 20 year olds for example appreciate pixelated aesthetics that existed way before they were born… So in that respect, they’re more evolved than I am, I guess Smile

I’ve been playing adventures since LSL1 but still SCI-era graphics (and MM, from which I only played the fan-made remake until a dead end Grin)) don’t appeal to me. But yeah, big part of the appeal will be nostalgia Smile

Total Posts: 7109

Joined 2005-09-29

PM

Oscar - 22 January 2015 03:23 AM
nomadsoul - 22 January 2015 02:44 AM

Resonance and Blackwell games are crap IMO in art, however new Shiva ver., Primordia
and Gemini Rue were awesome.

None of them are great but Primordia is really just cheap Edvard Munch with touches of HR Giger. To say some are crap and some are awesome screams of a failure to distinguish personal taste and judgement of style. All are pretty good small team efforts.

Thats the issue, there is no style in either of those games, they are as bland and generic as they come.

However GR oozes with atmosphere thanks to use of color and Manga style art Joshua
emulated as perfectly he can on AGS.

vs

Even non city, correctional facility scenes had more detail like reflection on floor.

vs

In anycase i would take GR and Primordia approach over Resonance

Dark, oil painted, more detailed, less saturday night cartoons stuff which has been done to death.

Total Posts: 2989

Joined 2012-03-09

PM

nomadsoul - 22 January 2015 01:34 PM

Even non city, correctional facility scenes had more detail like reflection on floor.

vs

I’m sorry, but the lighting in the 2nd pic is terrible compared to the first picture.
I will not even compare the character models.
I would take Resonance any day. It is up to everyone’s personal taste. Wink

Total Posts: 7109

Joined 2005-09-29

PM

Sefir - 22 January 2015 01:38 PM

I’m sorry, but the lighting in the 2nd pic is terrible compared to the first picture.

Thats style. Just like borderlands had that sketchy look not considering lighting and
other things but coloring and strokes with detail.

Manga > Disney and loony toons.

Thanks.

Edit:

Just in time Wink

I just love cyberpunk!
I don’t want to commit to an entire series. I just want one game.
I played the demo of the first Blackwell and I didn’t like it much.
Ghost stories don’t interest me so much.
Gemini Rue just looked more my thing.

Glad i am not alone beyond these forums.

Full story

http://www.wadjeteyegames.com/2015/01/22/female-characters-marketing-consistancy-design/

Total Posts: 2989

Joined 2012-03-09

PM

nomadsoul - 22 January 2015 01:34 PM

Thats the issue, there is no style in either of those games, they are as bland and generic as they come…Even non city, correctional facility scenes had more detail like reflection on floor….

nomadsoul - 22 January 2015 01:43 PM
Sefir - 22 January 2015 01:38 PM

Thats style.

So, is it style or is it not? You contradict yourself.

IMO, of course it is.
The bottom line is that “Style” is just another word for “something appealing to my personal taste”.
That includes the kind of lightning in a room, the details, everything that isn’t technical. Everything that we could experience in real life situations. From the colour of a jacket and the way someone talks, to the way the shadows appear in the walls and the entire decoration in a room.

Total Posts: 4011

Joined 2011-04-01

PM

Both of these are in the style of ‘saturday night cartoons’: So in your opinion there is nothing to distinguish them and both are crap. Correct?

Total Posts: 736

Joined 2013-08-15

PM

There are two aspects here, a matter of personal taste (for me Disney and Looney Tunes >>>> Manga, I can’t stand Manga style Grin ) and a question of pure quality, like in these examples Oscar posted, simply Sierra and Lucas Arts had brilliant artists who would probably excelled in most of computer art technics.

Total Posts: 506

Joined 2014-08-01

PM

Bogi - 22 January 2015 03:34 PM

(for me Disney and Looney Tunes >>>> Manga, I can’t stand Manga style Grin )

Frown

But…..

Frown

” I remember. Somebody died. It was me.”
~

Total Posts: 736

Joined 2013-08-15

PM

And now that brings me to how important gfx (art style) in adventure games is for me. I barely forced myself to complete Phoenix Wright games and Shadow of Memories because I don’t like their art styles.

Total Posts: 8998

Joined 2004-01-05

PM

It was great watching the evolution in technique, art and graphics in the Blackwell games.

From this

to this

Art style might be the same but there is a big difference.

Total Posts: 990

Joined 2009-05-08

PM

The Blackwell team would have had better resources with each title though. More time, more staff, more experience, better workflow and so on. So, they’re really still attempting to make the most of their limitations but the art gets better as the series continues to open up new opportunities.

Total Posts: 601

Joined 2014-11-29

PM

I love Disney, Warner Bros AND manga. There must be something wrong with me Crazy

I never played the Blackwell series but that screenshot that I guess is more recent looks real good.

If there’s one thing I don’t like about Wadjet games is that their characters and world in general tend to be a little stiff, where vertical lines are almost always, well, perfectly vertical, and everything seems to be at 90 degrees angles. It especially affects the characters and makes them feel less.. organic? On the other hand, I adore Chuck Jones cartoons and stuff like DoTT, so it might be I’m projecting a lot. Still, even the fact that we can argue over which visual style is more valid is a good sign of much needed diversity in adventure games visuals.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top