• Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums
continue reading below

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Lady KestrelLittleRose

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Until Dawn

Total Posts: 8998

Joined 2004-01-05

PM

nomadsoul - 31 August 2015 06:29 PM

That Ashley scene was so obvious,basically proving why those characters in horror movies always get owned by curiosity, you as a player fell for that too.
I knew Jess was totally died with her jaw off, besides ceatures can mimic voices, it was mentioned earlier

Oh, I completely missed that info!

nomadsoul - 31 August 2015 06:29 PM

@wilco

Play last episode and save mike this time, you dont need to go back to save him.
Àlso directly play episode with Emily scene and pull Mike’s trigger, that will have a little different interview of Mike in the end.
Emily has best death scenes. Once you are done experimenting try to watch all on youtube.

Ok going to have to try different stuff, I guess Emily can die in other parts like all of them. The end credits testemonies were a nice touch.

Dale - 31 August 2015 07:03 PM

Well it didn’t help that at the end of the previous chapter there was a scene showing Jessica still alive.  Up until that point I was convinced they were dead. Had that scene not played out, I might not have acted the same way.

That’s also what I thought. They played us like a fiddle! Smile

Total Posts: 966

Joined 2005-11-29

PM

Finished the game. Only one death in the end Matt on the meathook. I thought I lost more but they turned out to be ok.

Not bad overall. The story kind of goes of the rails a bit toward the end, but not so bad it wrecked the game for me.

Total Posts: 7109

Joined 2005-09-29

PM

http://m.neogaf.com/showthread.php?t=1107485

Already want more.

In ideal world we would get Silenthills and UntilDawn sequel, later one with new setting and made by JohnCarpenter who already said he wants to make a game.
Infact only drawback in UD was missed opportunity to use Carpenter’s music.

Total Posts: 990

Joined 2009-05-08

PM

I’m finished. It really was a lot of fun and a satisfying way to kick off the PS4 by alleviating any potential buyer’s remorse. 

My playthrough ended up like some William Friedkin film where only the most ruthless survived by chance.

Survivors: Mike, Emily, Ashley, and Matt… With the exception of Mike I could not have predicted any of these people would survive.

Not-so-survivors: So that means Jess, Josh, Chris, and Sam all died horribly. I screwed up Jess and Sam by missing a QTE and not keeping my bloody controller still during the final scene of the game. Josh apparently died because I didn’t find a clue.

The Chris death was just cold. Chris was given two choices in the game to kill Ashley and I thought the second time around would be a false choice. Ergo, I chose to shoot Ashley because I thought the two saw blades were going to kill both of them.  It was still a false choice but with the absolute opposite consequence - both teens survived! So Ashley became really ruthless in my playthrough and basically wouldn’t open the door when Chris was being chased by a spider zombie.

So really, in the end I was left with Mike, Matt and 2 Emilys. I like to think if I were in the same situation, I’d still be on team people and open the damn door.

Is it scary? There’s a few good jump scares and fake outs at the beginning with a really tense atmosphere when you have no idea what’s going on. It’s genuinely fun to be freaked out while you’re trying to determine if it was just one crazy maniac on the loose or if there were a few accomplices. However, once the game went full spider zombie the scare was gone for me.

I felt more could have been done to make the Wendigos creepy rather than gory. If you look at that P.T. demo, the stills are enough to weird you out because the creatures are human but not human… The Wendigos seemed a bit too fantastic to get frightened over.

Quantic Dream or Until Dawn… Before playing I read comments like Until Dawn is the game David Cage wishes he could make and I think these were needlessly unfair comments. It’s like making fun of the fat kid so no one makes fun of you.

It’s really great that Until Dawn was able to tell a story about 8 people and make the whole experience feel seamless jumping from character to character. However, Until Dawn features a lot of cliches. It’s wonderful when it subverts a cliche but when it doesn’t, you can start to predict how a scene will play out. This is certainly not a charge I can level at Beyond Two Souls.

Still, a lot of fun and another win for this style of game .

Joined 2005-09-29

PM

thejobloshow - 11 September 2015 07:59 PM

I’m finished. It really was a lot of fun and a satisfying way to kick off the PS4 by alleviating any potential buyer’s remorse. 

My playthrough ended up like some William Friedkin film where only the most ruthless survived by chance.

Survivors: Mike, Emily, Ashley, and Matt… With the exception of Mike I could not have predicted any of these people would survive.

Not-so-survivors: So that means Jess, Josh, Chris, and Sam all died horribly. I screwed up Jess and Sam by missing a QTE and not keeping my bloody controller still during the final scene of the game. Josh apparently died because I didn’t find a clue.

The Chris death was just cold. Chris was given two choices in the game to kill Ashley and I thought the second time around would be a false choice. Ergo, I chose to shoot Ashley because I thought the two saw blades were going to kill both of them.  It was still a false choice but with the absolute opposite consequence - both teens survived! So Ashley became really ruthless in my playthrough and basically wouldn’t open the door when Chris was being chased by a spider zombie.

So really, in the end I was left with Mike, Matt and 2 Emilys. I like to think if I were in the same situation, I’d still be on team people and open the damn door.

Is it scary? There’s a few good jump scares and fake outs at the beginning with a really tense atmosphere when you have no idea what’s going on. It’s genuinely fun to be freaked out while you’re trying to determine if it was just one crazy maniac on the loose or if there were a few accomplices. However, once the game went full spider zombie the scare was gone for me.

I felt more could have been done to make the Wendigos creepy rather than gory. If you look at that P.T. demo, the stills are enough to weird you out because the creatures are human but not human… The Wendigos seemed a bit too fantastic to get frightened over.

Quantic Dream or Until Dawn… Before playing I read comments like Until Dawn is the game David Cage wishes he could make and I think these were needlessly unfair comments. It’s like making fun of the fat kid so no one makes fun of you.

It’s really great that Until Dawn was able to tell a story about 8 people and make the whole experience feel seamless jumping from character to character. However, Until Dawn features a lot of cliches. It’s wonderful when it subverts a cliche but when it doesn’t, you can start to predict how a scene will play out. This is certainly not a charge I can level at Beyond Two Souls.

Still, a lot of fun and another win for this style of game .

Creatures are no different from Bigfoot ones,of whom one can find many documentaries.They are derived from actual urban legends so cannot deviate from hominid designs.
I liked it as a cross beyween TheDescent and Lastwinter crossover, later film which you should watch as it is directed by Larry,who is writer of UD and the Flamethrowerguy in the game. Lastwinter stars Ron perlman and centers around same myth. The myth was used in Larry’s other films too with same name as the legend. So it was writer’s trademark of sort, check his Imdb page

And the most intense moment in gaming is already lost if you dont succeed in motion control in final scenes with Sam and Mike. Here writer of QuantumBrek praising this game,

http://www.paradiger.com/quantum-breaks-sr-writer-compliments-sony-for-looking-for-the-new-different-stands-following-until-dawn/

Motion sensor fully working advice i mentioned earlier in this thread, try it , next time you save both Mike and Sam.

Edit:

Btw, now you are done with UD, get Rapture.
And switch on Subtitles before you start.
Wink

Joined 2005-09-29

PM

Top trending game on Youtube in August, landed on 7th in NPD, in just 4 tracking days.

And some people really dig it,

Unexpectedly interesting design doesn’t always make for great games, though – and the real magic here is how effectively I’ve come to feel directly responsible for the livelihood of a group of absolute arsebags. Having given up on Far Cry 3 entirely after it turned out that main character was a chode, Until Dawn has instilled me with a sense of commitment that comes with gritted teeth. Whether or not I’ll walk away happier having saved some of these awful bastards remains to be seen, but still, what an experience.

http://www.vice.com/en_uk/read/i-dont-know-what-the-point-of-until-dawn-is-and-thats-why-its-brilliant-443

http://www.theverge.com/2015/8/24/9187447/until-dawn-review-playstation-4

Metacritic is back at 80 , huge feat.

Glad it got the following it deserved. Thumbs Up

Total Posts: 990

Joined 2009-05-08

PM

nomadsoul - 12 September 2015 06:15 AM

Wink

Don’t worry about that, I plan to play Rapture and The Vanishing of Ethan Carter and the Inuit-themed puzzle platformer Never Alone in due time!

Before that, I would like to replay Until Dawn with the intention of saving everyone and keeping the relationship stats high. Specifically, keep Emily from being bitten and save Jess. Missing those first few QTEs that kill Jess and giving Matt the flare gun appears to be the common experience for other players.

By the way, the relationship stat thing is awesome. Way better than a/the designer’s morality system. It creates a tension between what you personally feel is right and how characters will respond if you make that choice. For example, you might not want to split up from Emily because it’s a horror film universe and there’s strength in numbers. However, Emily is described as intelligent and independent so she’ll see any attempt to “protect” her as you suffocating her and it will drop your relationship stat leading to a darker ending. Really good.

Joined 2005-09-29

PM

thejobloshow - 14 September 2015 08:09 PM
nomadsoul - 12 September 2015 06:15 AM

Wink

Don’t worry about that, I plan to play Rapture and The Vanishing of Ethan Carter and the Inuit-themed puzzle platformer Never Alone in due time!

Before that, I would like to replay Until Dawn with the intention of saving everyone and keeping the relationship stats high. Specifically, keep Emily from being bitten and save Jess. Missing those first few QTEs that kill Jess and giving Matt the flare gun appears to be the common experience for other players.

By the way, the relationship stat thing is awesome. Way better than a/the designer’s morality system. It creates a tension between what you personally feel is right and how characters will respond if you make that choice. For example, you might not want to split up from Emily because it’s a horror film universe and there’s strength in numbers. However, Emily is described as intelligent and independent so she’ll see any attempt to “protect” her as you suffocating her and it will drop your relationship stat leading to a darker ending. Really good.

Only later found out that relationships can result in subtle changes, like different response and cutscenes.
Also Psychological tests have subtle in game changes.

Make sure to shoot emily, when you get the choice as Mike, you can replay the chapter before or after you start your new playthrough.

Total Posts: 2648

Joined 2004-01-18

PM

Goddamm that game

I was nearly in line for a high survivor count playthrough and then

I fecked up the ending by moving a fraction of a millimeter and getting Sam killed as she was distracting Hannah Spider from munching on Ashley. This meant that Sam and Mike bought the big one.

Survivors Emily, Ashley, Chris, Jessica

Deaths Matt got himself impailed on a hook through the face after trying to save the bitch when the Radio Tower collapsed. Josh got his head squished like a grapefruit by his sister Hannah, Sam got killed by Hannah at the last minute punched through the stomach and Mike blew himself up to save everyone else.

ENjoyed the hell out of the game. Although the plot “twists” were obvious even before I started the game.

An adventure game is nothing more than a good story set with engaging puzzles that fit seamlessly in with the story and the characters, and looks and sounds beautiful.
Roberta Williams

Joined 2005-09-29

PM

Lucien21 - 19 September 2015 06:08 PM

Goddamm that game

I was nearly in line for a high survivor count playthrough and then

I fecked up the ending by moving a fraction of a millimeter and getting Sam killed as she was distracting Hannah Spider from munching on Ashley. This meant that Sam and Mike bought the big one.

Survivors Emily, Ashley, Chris, Jessica

Deaths Matt got himself impailed on a hook through the face after trying to save the bitch when the Radio Tower collapsed. Josh got his head squished like a grapefruit by his sister Hannah, Sam got killed by Hannah at the last minute punched through the stomach and Mike blew himself up to save everyone else.

ENjoyed the hell out of the game. Although the plot “twists” were obvious even before I started the game.

Just hold the grip bars of pad tightly with all fingers of both hands, moving fingers away from shoulder and other buttons just like one would hold racket grip.
100% working triCK. The blue bar doesn move a bit, let alone playing minigame of keeping it under white boundaries.

Lastscenario was nerve wrecking indeed, esp third scene when you try to save Mike.

So i gotto know Sam can get killed earlier.
Wonder how the last scene will play out without her.
Creatures and Doctor as moral compass and Josh’s figment of imagination was a good twist.
I lovedThe Descent.

Joined 2005-09-29

PM

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top