• Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums
continue reading below

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

chrissieJdawg445walas74zobraks

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Broken Age Act 2 Discussion

Total Posts: 7446

Joined 2013-08-26

PM

Frogacuda - 25 March 2015 09:17 AM
Karlok - 25 March 2015 09:02 AM

DF/Schafer chose to make the puzzles easy. It was a deliberate decision. Marketing and all that. Hard puzzles means fewer sales.

If that’s true then it’s foolish, since splitting the game has destroyed the game’s commercial potential and hype in ways that make that irrelevant.

Splitting the game came afterwards. If you ask me, that was foolish. Maybe necessary after DF had already spent too much money on less than half the game, but it could have been avoided.

I think that’s cynical, though.

Not at all. Unless good marketing is cynical. I’d call it foolish if Tim Schafer had concentrated on pleasing only his small base of hard-core adventure fans. He said as much. Don’t ask me to find the correct quote, it would probably take me ages. He said it just after the release of the first part.

Butter my buns and call me a biscuit! - Agent A

Joined 2013-08-26

PM

Mr Underhill - 25 March 2015 09:27 AM

Shae and Vela are definitely nowhere near the top adventure game protagonists in my opinion (not even close, actually) - but I get that they were shooting for a way wider demographic…

Right…
Cynical? No.

Total Posts: 8998

Joined 2004-01-05

PM

Release date announced to be April 28th (but 29th in Europe? Or is this just PS4/Vita?)

Article

They can’t really lock Europe PC players for one day can they?

Total Posts: 187

Joined 2005-01-25

PM

Well, they could for example release it on the 28th, 10:00 PM East Coast time, which would be on the 29th in Europe.

Total Posts: 229

Joined 2006-03-25

PM

Hard puzzles means fewer sales.

I truly do not believe this. It’s the worst logic ever.

Total Posts: 1891

Joined 2010-11-16

PM

RockNFknRoll - 27 March 2015 02:45 PM

i dont believe it either.
But i believe that publishers believe it.

Joined 2013-08-26

PM

RockNFknRoll - 27 March 2015 02:45 PM

You used the words believe and logic in the same breath?

Believe it or not, that’s up to you. Tim Schafer believes it. Or maybe he sees the logic.

Total Posts: 21

Joined 2012-05-20

PM

it seems to me that a well designed adventure would always start a bit easy, get gradually harder until the end where the pacing is more important and as such puzzles have to be a bit easier again. So if you would cut other adventures in two, you might get the same pattern.

Total Posts: 966

Joined 2005-11-29

PM

The latest documentary episode (19) was fantastic. This project has taken a huge toll on its creators and become a longer journey than anyone had imagined.

It seems like Act 2 is going to be a lot longer and more difficult than the first Act. Hopefully this doesn’t hurt the game’s pacing. I really enjoyed Act 1 for what it was, but I’m excited to finally play the full thing. I’ll probably start from the beginning.

Total Posts: 3200

Joined 2007-01-04

PM

I am looking forward to this game. Act 1 was fantastic.

Heart

I enjoy playing adventure games on my Alienware M17 r4 and my Nintendo Switch OLED.

Total Posts: 2653

Joined 2013-03-14

PM

E19 definetly was a good episode. The weight of the decisions considering layouts was very evident.

It’ll be nice to finally be able to play the game from start to finish and I expect a lot from the final wrap up episode and I do hope to see a postmortem about the project as well.

Total Posts: 2582

Joined 2005-08-12

PM

I’m looking forward to the finished game. I’ll definitely be replaying from the start.

It’s sad that this Kickstarter that seemed like such a boon for Double Fine three years ago ended up hurting their finances and reputation. Hopefully, in the long run Broken Age will be a good thing for them.

Total Posts: 2653

Joined 2013-03-14

PM

It wasn’t Broken Age that hurt DF financially, it was the cancellation of Majesco project and the money they weren’t paid considering Costume Quest 2.

According to Steamspy stats Broken Age has 250k oweners (+-13k), so all things considered, it has sold relatively well even after you take out the backers from those numbers (of which some redeemed their game through other services).

http://steamspy.com/app/232790

Total Posts: 2582

Joined 2005-08-12

PM

tomimt - 24 April 2015 10:33 AM

It wasn’t Broken Age that hurt DF financially, it was the cancellation of Majesco project and the money they weren’t paid considering Costume Quest 2.

I know it’s not responsible for the layoffs, but they did sink a lot of their own money into it, with sale numbers that, by their own admission, weren’t fantastic.

I remember, early on in the documentary, Justin Bailey (the COO) saying that DFA was a huge part of his financial forecast for the company’s near future—the profits from the game (which they wouldn’t have to share with anyone) would more or less ensure the studio’s independence. But now, it feels like the mood is more like “let’s be done with the damn thing and stop bleeding money already, and maybe we’ll be able to keep the lights on for another six months.” Meh

Total Posts: 8998

Joined 2004-01-05

PM

With this out and Massive Chalice final release soon I hope they have more things lined up for after, besides the Sony deal for DotT remaster.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top