• Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums
continue reading below

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Broken Age Act 2 Discussion

Total Posts: 7446

Joined 2013-08-26

PM

Spoilers or not, I watched those 12 minutes. Wish I was impressed, but I’m not. Looks tame after the great ending of part one. Sorry.

Butter my buns and call me a biscuit! - Agent A

Total Posts: 2653

Joined 2013-03-14

PM

I’ve decided now firmly to stay off all the footage and coverage of BA act 2 until the release.

Total Posts: 966

Joined 2005-11-29

PM

Yeah any footage or screens of Act are going to be very spoilers. Do not watch if you haven’t played act 1.

Total Posts: 8998

Joined 2004-01-05

PM

Maybe it’s just nitpicking and me being a “spoiled gamer” but due to the handling of the kickstarter for backers my hype is completely gone at this point… I don’t even know if I’ll play at release at this point because my view of the game would biased due to being annoyed at the whole process.
It’s probably a wrong sentiment but, yeah, not really hyped Neutral

Total Posts: 2653

Joined 2013-03-14

PM

You’re not the onlyone who has lost the hype train Wilco. I doubt BA has that much hype left in it, no matter how much I liked the first act. The wait between has been way too long.

But then again, the same has happened for me with SpaceVenture as well. At first I was hyped, but after it was evident the release kept slipping further and further the less enthustiastic I’ve become about it.

That’s nature of the hype. It doesn’t last forever.

Total Posts: 1289

Joined 2012-07-15

PM

I completely get what you’re saying, Wilco. I feel pretty much the same, but at the same time I’m excited to see to what extent Schafer and co. has listened to the feedback received after act 1. But yeah, the wait has indeed been much to long… I’m gonna have to replay the first part before playing the second, I almost forgot the plot.

Duckman: Can you believe it? Five hundred bucks for a parking ticket?
Cornfed Pig: You parked in a handicapped zone.
Duckman: Who cares? Nobody parks there anyway, except for the people who are supposed to park there and, hell, I can outrun them anytime.

Joined 2005-11-29

PM

tomimt - 24 March 2015 10:53 AM

You’re not the onlyone who has lost the hype train Wilco. I doubt BA has that much hype left in it, no matter how much I liked the first act. The wait between has been way too long.

But then again, the same has happened for me with SpaceVenture as well. At first I was hyped, but after it was evident the release kept slipping further and further the less enthustiastic I’ve become about it.

That’s nature of the hype. It doesn’t last forever.

The big difference there is that I’ve lost a lot of confidence in SpaceVenture. Broken Age, on the other hand, I still expect to be an excellent game.

But yeah, Double Fine made some pretty huge mistakes in terms of keeping the positivity and anticipation going for this game. In the end, it’ll probably sell way less than it deserves to, and its soured some of the fans on Double Fine as a dev.

Total Posts: 2071

Joined 2013-08-25

PM

Those were unexciting 12 minutes. I never liked the idea of revisiting same old locations in a linear game or its sequel, especially after some damage was caused to them (like in Return to Mysterious Island 2). It always brings a depressing note.

PC means personal computer

Total Posts: 387

Joined 2013-02-17

PM

I wasn`t original backer of Broken Age, but (to support the cause) I bought the game when act1 was released on Steam. I haven`t played the game yet because I always wait episodic games to be fully released before playing them. Nonetheless I think Double Fine has done good job with the game. Ok, It could have been released earlier, but even that is irrelevant in the end (for me atleast). I very much look forward to this game and I`m happy Double Fine decided to start releasing DFA documentary episodes in anticipation of the release of act 2. I have watched them now every week and I love them and I`m more hyped than ever Smile

Playing: 1) Broken Sword 5 2) Road 96

Total Posts: 813

Joined 2004-08-01

PM

Ahenobarbus - 24 March 2015 07:22 PM

I haven`t played the game yet… Nonetheless I think Double Fine has done good job with the game.

Based on what? What if the game just formats your hard drive while making screeching noises?

Total Posts: 601

Joined 2014-11-29

PM

I totally get the strategic move of splitting the game in two and I know there’d've been legions of irate fans/backers but I’d've much preferred BA to be released as a whole when it was done. Its quality would’ve surely shut up naysayers and ultimately, as Tim said himself, you don’t get to be remembered as “that game that was so on time!”, but rather “that great, great game!”.  I guess such are the pitfalls of crowd funding and the expectations that come along with it. I however respect Tim’s decision, won’t watch the footage even though I am tempted. I’ve even left part 1 un-completed so that I could play more of it as a whole, I really wish right now I hadn’t touched it at all.

Total Posts: 387

Joined 2013-02-17

PM

Antrax - 25 March 2015 05:47 AM
Ahenobarbus - 24 March 2015 07:22 PM

I haven`t played the game yet… Nonetheless I think Double Fine has done good job with the game.

Based on what? What if the game just formats your hard drive while making screeching noises?

Sure, I dont know if I will like the game or not, because I haven`t played it yet, granted. Actually, my first impressions were that the game is too juvenile to my taste. On the other hand some people may say that Day of the Tentacle is too juvenile too and it is my all time favourite point&click;. So I have to play Broken Age to know for sure, but if I don’t like the story or the graphics etc, it is only my individual opinion of the game and I didn’t mean that when I said Double Fine has done good job. I meant production. They might even ship a game which I don’t like personally and still say they have done good job.

I understand people are angry with the delays but if the strategy of splitting the game in two was best way to get more money and buy some more time to finish the whole project, I can understand and live with it. I made my choice to buy Broken Age in advance but not to play it before it is finished. And I`m fine by that.

But even if I haven`t played the game yet I can see Double Fine has high production values here and there hasn`t been any doubt they will ship a quality product. That`s why I don’t really understand all the nitpickers who blame Double Fine: this is too juvenile, this is not classic point&click; you promised, this is taking too long, I want my money back. I would understand complaints in other situations but not really here. And I`m sure Schafer knows (even without angry statements on forums) that there are tons of people who would like to see Lucas style adventures and sequels to Full Throttle or DOTT in classic style. So there is nothing constructive there concerning Broken Age.

I don`t really blame adventuregamers forum users here Wink, because I have read lots of valid criticism for Double Fine here and they have done some mistakes for sure, but that`s only human. It`s only criminal if you don`t learn anything from mistakes. For that reason I`m happy they have said for example that act 2 has more difficult puzzles, because it seems that Double Fine has learnt something on the way too.

I just hope this is not the last adventure game from Double Fine and Tim Schafer.

PS. Väinö Linna`s novel The Unknown Soldier has some good lines to follow in real life too: “Hätäilemällä ei tule kuin kusipäitä mukuloita” Some other forum user can translate it properly, but basically “Haste and you only get bastards.”

Playing: 1) Broken Sword 5 2) Road 96

Total Posts: 7446

Joined 2013-08-26

PM

Ahenobarbus - 25 March 2015 08:43 AM

I don`t really blame adventuregamers forum users here Wink, because I have read lots of valid criticism for Double Fine here and they have done some mistakes for sure, but that`s only human. It`s only criminal if you don`t learn anything from mistakes. For that reason I`m happy they have said for example that act 2 has more difficult puzzles, because it seems that Double Fine has learnt something on the way too.

DF/Schafer chose to make the puzzles easy. It was a deliberate decision. Marketing and all that. Hard puzzles means fewer sales.

Butter my buns and call me a biscuit! - Agent A

Joined 2005-11-29

PM

Karlok - 25 March 2015 09:02 AM

DF/Schafer chose to make the puzzles easy. It was a deliberate decision. Marketing and all that. Hard puzzles means fewer sales.

If that’s true then it’s foolish, since splitting the game has destroyed the game’s commercial potential and hype in ways that make that irrelevant.

I think that’s cynical, though. In truth, I think he was trying to make the puzzles more “fair,” not necessarily easier. It’s an absolutely fair criticism of many old-school adventure games that their hardest moments are hard for the wrong reasons; that certain puzzles are illogical, or that they don’t give you all the information you need to

One of the things Double Fine and game studios in general have access to now that they had less of back then is play testing. They have more opportunity to watch players and see where they get stuck, and the conventional wisdom of game design now is that if players get too stuck, or get frustrated to the point of giving up, that’s a flaw that needs to be fixed. And in most kinds of games, it is. Adventure games are sort of a special case where the player needs JUST ENOUGH frustration for the solution to be rewarding. Puzzle games like Portal are also like that; it’s why they’re tough to design well.

So in polishing off all the sharp edges, they may have gone too far; There maybe should have been more of an effort to choose playtesters who are specifically experienced genre fans, whose feedback would more resemble that of backers. Maybe they will for Act 2. I guess we’ll see.

Total Posts: 601

Joined 2014-11-29

PM

Yeah, Broken Age does come across as a little bit, uhm, childish - but I’m not sure it’s the word I’m looking for. It’s a lot more innocent and Miyazaki-ish than oldschool adventures and it rubs some people the wrong way because we all so fondly remember and look for all the snooty, sarcastic anti-heroes from the nineties.

I can somewhat relate to that - Shae and Vela are definitely nowhere near the top adventure game protagonists in my opinion (not even close, actually) - but I get that they were shooting for a way wider demographic and I’m very okay with that as long as the game’s good, plays great and looks and sounds amazing.

There’s a huge temptation to make your point and click protagonist a sarcastic one-lining know-it-all because she/he is there to filter information and develop character via how he’s describing the world to you and I guess that’s one trope Schafer wanted to avoid, and succeeded. But it’s something the game wears on its sleeve, it’s obviously a coming of age story and should be treated as such. I didn’t particularly resonate with the main characters but the world is amazing and, really, we think we always want more of the same, but we can all name dozens and dozens of Ben-like or Manny-like or Guybrush-like protagonists, so a couple of teenage kids is a welcome break from the norm.

Whew, typed a little too much there. I just really love Double Fine and I hope BA sells and they continue to put out great point and clicks. Also I’d love theme in one complete package, if at all possible Nerd

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top