• Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums
continue reading below

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

The most ridiculous puzzle you’ve ever witnessed

Total Posts: 4011

Joined 2011-04-01

PM

Okay, time to vent my rage. This puzzle from Catyph is the most frustrating thing I’ve encountered for a long time.

See that ball? You need to get it to the end of the maze by dragging it with the mouse. The first catch is that you can’t touch any edges of the maze. If you do… bzzzzt! and you’re back to the start again. If that’s not bad enough, there’s a time limit, and you have to do the damn thing in around half a minute. GAH! I’ve had about 20 tries and am just about to throw in the towel. Whoever thought of this monstrosity, you better hope I don’t bump into you on the street (kidding of course, but seriously - **** this puzzle!)

Total Posts: 136

Joined 2015-10-03

PM

have you tried using the touch pad of your pc/laptop

Joined 2011-04-01

PM

eddyc - 21 May 2016 03:56 AM

have you tried using the touch pad of your pc/laptop

I don’t have one.

Total Posts: 2995

Joined 2012-03-09

PM

ALMOST like the caterpillar puzzle in Botanicula. You have to drag an item (Something like a small sun) through a similar maze, while a caterpillar follows you and tries to eat it. The only difference from Oscar’s puzzle is that touching the edges just “stucks” the small sun for a few secs, giving away precious time in favor of the caterpillar…..

Joined 2011-04-01

PM

Sefir - 21 May 2016 04:21 AM

ALMOST like the caterpillar puzzle in Botanicula. You have to drag an item (Something like a small sun) through a similar maze, while a caterpillar follows you and tries to eat it. The only difference from Oscar’s puzzle is that touching the edges just “stucks” the small sun for a few secs, giving away precious time in favor of the caterpillar…..

I only vaguely remember such a puzzle in Botanicula. Even so, I can guarantee you it’s nothing compared with this. I don’t consider myself bad with a mouse, and I’m finding it impossible. What’s most annoying is that sometimes I’m in the middle of the track and get put back to the start for touching the edge.

Total Posts: 7446

Joined 2013-08-26

PM

Solution: Contact developer Simon, tell him the puzzle is impossible, and ask for a save.

Butter my buns and call me a biscuit! - Agent A

Total Posts: 930

Joined 2004-01-06

PM

TimovieMan - 04 February 2015 06:58 AM
Oscar - 04 February 2015 05:09 AM

I don’t usually have much trouble with Tower of Babel type puzzles anyway.

It’s called Tower of Hanoi, actually.

rtrooney - 03 February 2015 10:02 PM

I believe the game was Dark Side of the Moon. There were three puzzles you needed to complete in order to finish the game. One was a variation on the ring and pole puzzle, where you have to move rings from one pole to another and you can’t put a larger ring on top of a smaller ring. The usual puzzle we run across is three poles and five rings. It can be completed in about twenty moves. This puzzle required over 180 moves. There was no way to complete it without a WT. And even with one, if you accidentally missed a step, it was start over again. Just brutal.

If it had 7 discs, it would (ideally) take 127 steps, and if it had 8 discs, it would take 255… Gasp

The worst thing about it was that it wasn’t even rings on a post where you could count them—they were in plates in holes so you couldn’t tell how many there were. If you don’t know if you have an odd number or an even one, you have a 50% chance of starting out wrong.
Check around 13:53 into this video walkthrough of Reah to see what the puzzle looks like. It was a monster, but as bad as it was, at least it wasn’t as bad as the memory puzzle, also in Reah. The person who did the walkthrough refused to repeat those two puzzles for the video walkthrough.

I think the worst ones are the ones you can’t even get past with a walkthrough—like the alimentary canal in Oscar’s picture.

Total Posts: 8471

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

Oscar - 20 May 2016 09:25 PM

Okay, time to vent my rage. This puzzle from Catyph is the most frustrating thing I’ve encountered for a long time.

It probably wouldn’t be so bad if those red lines would count as “checkpoints” for when you fail (so you only get thrown back to the previous red line instead of the beginning), and if there would be an additional 5 seconds to the time limit every time you fail an attempt…

The truth can’t hurt you, it’s just like the dark: it scares you witless but in time you see things clear and stark. - Elvis Costello
Maybe this time I can be strong, but since I know who I am, I’m probably wrong. Maybe this time I can go far, but thinking about where I’ve been ain’t helping me start. - Michael Kiwanuka

Total Posts: 487

Joined 2012-10-03

PM

Hi, I’m finally back after severe technical issues during the past 3 (almost 4) weeks… Sorry for this absence, during which I couldn’t bring any support at all. That was unfortunate, just after the release of Catyph.

Well I wouldn’t say that this specific puzzle is “one of the most ridiculous ever in adventure games”. Maybe it can be challenging if you’re not used to play with your mouse in an accurate way, but not impossible at all.
I had the opportunity to discuss this matter with the Beta Testers because I was worried, but in the end we agreed that it is far from painful, and that’s the only one like that in the game.
They could also finish the game on Adventurespel.de and the reviewer told me she loved every minute, and the challenging puzzles. I guess it’s more a matter of tastes than a problem with the puzzle, isn’t it?

It would seem that you were quite angry Oscar, which I can understand if you got stuck on this, but in the end did you really give up, or did you succeed in going through this? After all, you posted this only a week after the release of the game, and there are other regions to visit in the meantime, with many other things to do. Anyone else having a problem with this specific puzzle?

In case it could help, here’s a screenshot showing the border you shouldn’t touch with the ball. The ball is only a picture: in fact it’s only the dot at the center that is taken into account by the game engine. So you have to move a dot through this path, and you have quite a lot of time in fact: each red area adds time. Just don’t put too much pressure on yourself, relax, and take your time, and you should be able to beat it.
Let me know if anyone needs a savegame here. Good luck.

http://zupimages.net/up/16/23/w1zk.jpg

Joined 2011-04-01

PM

Simon_ASA - 09 June 2016 06:51 AM

It would seem that you were quite angry Oscar, which I can understand if you got stuck on this, but in the end did you really give up, or did you succeed in going through this?

No, I gave up after about 25 tries, and uninstalled. I won’t be trying again unless there’s a patch, and even then probably not.

The ball is only a picture: in fact it’s only the dot at the center that is taken into account by the game engine.

That is not true. Many times I was in the center of the path and got buzzed. Like I said, I am not poor with the mouse. I can’t imagine the trouble someone who had zero mouse skills would have.

Why make this puzzle timed anyway? Adventure games are intellectual, and there is already an intellectual element to this puzzle. It’s a very poor development decision if you ask me.

A shame because it was shaping up to be a decent game - not Myst or Rhem standard, but decent.

Total Posts: 487

Joined 2012-10-03

PM

Oscar - 09 June 2016 08:25 AM

The ball is only a picture: in fact it’s only the dot at the center that is taken into account by the game engine.

That is not true.

Oh yes that is true. Look, I have hilighted it with a orange dot:

There is no doubt about this. Now there might be a technical issue with the game on your computer that I am not aware of (for example: if for some reason the main path is messed up), but I’m sure that this puzzle shouldn’t be *that* hard and frustrating.

Total Posts: 8720

Joined 2012-01-02

PM

The Wardrobe:
killing the janitor ‘puzzle’ to get his keys , what?, yeah (i am not using spoilers everyone must read this) .

you need to hit the janitor with a shovel on his head, murder him to get the keys, not to forget that you already have had distracted him by pouring beer into his cocktail container but that is not enough, you even when you have absinthe in your inventory, but ‘that is worse than mixing coke with beer’ says our avatar, but killing him with a shovel is alright, ..oh wait, maybe because janitor+Shovel compilation is the easiest thing should come up to your mind right away right away.. damn!, seriously f*** these kinda of puzzles, after you find out their solutions from a walkthrough being stuck at it for 2 days or so, you just ditch the game right away and dont wanna come near it anymore.

Mod edit: You are going to use spoiler tags.

Add: thanks for whoever Mode that straighten me post, but could you please also adjust my grammar and typos mistakes from now on too.

Total Posts: 7446

Joined 2013-08-26

PM

Advie - 26 November 2017 04:39 PM

yeah (i am not using spoilers everyone must read this).

Ploink!

Butter my buns and call me a biscuit! - Agent A

Total Posts: 8720

Joined 2012-01-02

PM

Karlok - 26 November 2017 04:48 PM
Advie - 26 November 2017 04:39 PM

yeah (i am not using spoilers everyone must read this).

Ploink!

what does ‘Ploink’ mean?

Total Posts: 5053

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

My guess is that “Ploink” is the sound of a metal shovel blade hitting a human skull. In this case, I think the poster had your skull in mind when creating the sound effect.

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top