• Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums
continue reading below

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Dale

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Grim Fandango Remastered

Total Posts: 179

Joined 2004-01-25

PM

Can’t wait for trailer for this…

Total Posts: 7109

Joined 2005-09-29

PM

wilco - 10 June 2014 08:48 AM

Next step is to get Maniac Mansion and Day of the Tentacle. Go for it Tim and Sony. Vita needs them!

i would vote for Fullthrottle Yum

edit:

Update

Ahhhhh Rubacava my Fav place in AG

http://blog.us.playstation.com/2014/06/10/a-closer-look-at-grim-fandangos-surprise-revival/

So it seems its console exclusive and will be only on PC later

Total Posts: 523

Joined 2010-02-08

PM

nomadsoul - 10 June 2014 03:03 PM

http://blog.us.playstation.com/2014/06/10/a-closer-look-at-grim-fandangos-surprise-revival/

Nice find, thanks for sharing. Sounds like Double Fine has reached out to the fan community to use some of their enhancements in the remastered version, which is a good move.

Total Posts: 2653

Joined 2013-03-14

PM

I really hope this will work out. It’s nice that Disney really is open to the possibilities in old Lucas IP’s, so if this does well, then maybe the floodgates will open up.

Total Posts: 506

Joined 2003-09-10

PM

That’s a nice retrospective video. Very exciting announcement. Tim tweeted that Sony has exclusivity on consoles. Even if it’s going to be PS4 exclusive to start, I hope it ends up on PS3 too.

Total Posts: 619

Joined 2012-06-06

PM

I’m going to second my hopes for a Full Throttle release somewhere, somehow!

Bt

Total Posts: 736

Joined 2013-08-15

PM

It would be horrendous if they don’t release it for PC.

Never spit in the plate you eat from!

Total Posts: 6590

Joined 2007-07-22

PM

The ONLY justified Full Throttle re-release would be if there existed the original art in high resolution. Monkey Island 1/2 remastered passed only because the originals were in plain VGA, even though the new graphics were stylistically inferior to the original games. Full Throttle, while still in VGA, came out in 1995. and the graphics don’t feel dated at all. Better not touch it if you’re only going to put some HD placeholders in its place. I think Loom is in the most need of remake.

Recently finished: Four Last Things 4/5, Edna & Harvey: The Breakout 5/5, Chains of Satinav 3,95/5, A Vampyre Story 88, Sam Peters 3/5, Broken Sword 1 4,5/5, Broken Sword 2 4,3/5, Broken Sword 3 85, Broken Sword 5 81, Gray Matter 4/5\nCurrently playing: Broken Sword 4, Keepsake (Let\‘s Play), Callahan\‘s Crosstime Saloon (post-Community Playthrough)\nLooking forward to: A Playwright’s Tale

Total Posts: 8998

Joined 2004-01-05

PM

We have to see how they handle Grim Fandango, but Double Fine usually doesn’t skip on presenting great art and backgrounds so if they remaster Full Throtle and DotT it should be good.

Total Posts: 41

Joined 2003-09-14

PM

Yes. And unlike the Monkey Island remakes, which were developed mostly by LucasArts newcomers, any remake from Double Fine would be supervised by the games’ original designer (Tim) with several LucasArts veterans on the team.

I’m interested to see what “remastered” actually means here. Do they have the original game assets (ie, the original 3D models of the backgrounds) which they can use to re-render and upgrade the game’s resolution? Or are they rebuilding it from scratch? Or are they just going to tweak the original background art? Or maybe do nothing with the background art and just upgrade the 3D models?

Lots of burning questions.

Total Posts: 3

Joined 2004-10-22

PM

All this is going to be is new versions of the original backgrounds to take advantage of modern displays (i.e. HD resolutions), and new character models and objects and hopefully new controls to fix the one nagging problem that most people have with it. I’m sure the music and soundFX will get redone, too. Sadly, I’ll bet the voices will be redone if they have the same problems that happened with GK1 remake, but let’s hope not. It would be cool if they provided a mouse only mode with point and click.

EDIT: Wow, how is this my first post in 10 years? Grin

EDIT 2: I watched that feature. Schafer says they’re going to use as many of the fan tweaks as possible, and he specifically mentions the point and click mode, so I’ll bet that makes it in.

Total Posts: 2653

Joined 2013-03-14

PM

I don’t think the voices need to be re-done really. The quality of sound recording is much higher on Fandango than it is on GK 1. And if luck has it, the original voice recordings still exists at Lucas.

Total Posts: 298

Joined 2004-08-15

PM

New forums, Orange Brat! Must have missed the transition! Wink Look at the bottom of this page to find the link to the old ones.
Anyway, I really don’t hope for a remake, I think it would be a waste of energy and it wouldn’t be the same, it would be something else. Also it would run the risk of losing the qualities that made the original so great.
So I really hope the remaster will be of a similar kind to the one of Stranger’s Wrath.

Total Posts: 3

Joined 2004-10-22

PM

I think you’re right about the voices, and after watching that feature, I think it sounds like minimal tinkering will happen. If they have the original environment 3D files, I see no reason why they couldn’t load it up (barring no hiccups after 15+ years), and simply create new high resolution prerenders.

It may also be nice to rebuild it and present two modes. One be a classic mode with static cameras and another that takes advantage of the realtime environment and allows for more of a transition between camera angles (as needed). One set of players can play it old school and another can try the other. There’s lots of places they could take it. Throw in a modified version of the tank controls (and leave the original in too for those who want it pure) and an alternative for point and click, and you cater to everyone and get the best of both worlds. More opportunities bring in more people and GF finally gets a chance to be played by the most people possible on a far greater number of configurations and systems than ever before.

If sequels/prequels ever come into play, I’d like to see more of a Telltale model. It would be nice to have small, bite sized episodes with each one being it’s own story. Or, something kind of like The Last Door, albeit with a bit more meat and game time thrown in. This post-Kickstarter, indie gamemaking world opens up lots of avenues that would be less likely happen just a few short years ago. The fact that we’re getting this remaster along with remakes of GK1, LSL, a new Tex Murphy, and all the rest is just kind of mindboggling if you’ve around as long as a lot of us have. I kind of figured GF was coming once GK1 fell into our laps. Heck, I even saw Konami gave their blessing to have one of the old Metal Gear games remade by a fan group as long as they released it for free. We’re living in crazy times. Grin

Total Posts: 1289

Joined 2012-07-15

PM

This is the kind of news that makes me pinch my arm to make sure I’m not dreaming… and I’m not dreaming… or rather, it’s a dream come true! It’s gonna be exciting to see what kind of improvements they’ll implement for the gameplay and graphics.

tomimt - 11 June 2014 02:10 AM

I don’t think the voices need to be re-done really. The quality of sound recording is much higher on Fandango than it is on GK 1. And if luck has it, the original voice recordings still exists at Lucas.

I agree, the voice acting in the original is as good as it gets. Unless they plan on writing additional dialogue (which I assume is unlikely), I hope they don’t re-record any voices.

Duckman: Can you believe it? Five hundred bucks for a parking ticket?
Cornfed Pig: You parked in a handicapped zone.
Duckman: Who cares? Nobody parks there anyway, except for the people who are supposed to park there and, hell, I can outrun them anytime.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top