• Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums
continue reading below

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

DarkEye

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Resonance

Total Posts: 268

Joined 2008-07-05

PM

I’m a bit late coming to the Resonance party (we got it in a pack with the Blackwell series, Botanicula & others, and left Resonance till last), but just wanted to add my voice to all those others praising the game - no surprise to see Fien as one of them as I think we generally have pretty similar tastes. I think in terms of puzzle design, Resonance’s are probably the best I’ve ever seen - and that includes those from the so-called “Golden Age of Adventures”. We just played “Overseer” beforehand (getting ready for the new Tex Murphy) and there’s no doubt for me that the Resonance puzzles are so much better integrated. With Overseer, it was the classic case of “Ah, I see a puzzle coming…”. I hardly had that feeling with Resonance once - the puzzles fitted in nearly perfectly with the game situations - and that’s extremely difficult for an adventure game. The range of puzzles, use of multi-characters, and the innovations with short & long term memory were all very impressive - the game avoided all the typical adventure game traps of either solutions being too obvious, trial and error combining everything with everything, or pointless abstract logic puzzles.

The story and writing was, I felt, of v good quality overall though with some flaws. As has been commented, it wasn’t possible to go so in-depth into all the characters (an inevitable disadvantage of having 4 main characters) but I felt they got the general feel over well. As Fien & imm8#2 (among others) have commented, it was possible to see that Ed would turn against the rest of the group - there were definite indicators that one group member would betray the others, and Ed had clear motivation for it. Also, while Bennet and Ray were early on clear suspects (Bennet thanks to the note, Ray due to following the group at the hospital), Ed wasn’t…and in whodunnits you should always be most suspicious of those who are not focussed on as main suspects Wink . However, despite guessing that Ed would probably be the turncoat, the crucial scene in the vault was still a massive shock. That he would murder Anna (the character portrayed most sympathetically) in cold blood was not something I’d considered happening, yet was actually eminently logical and foreseeable if you’d fully worked out & followed through on Ed’s motivations.

Voice acting was also v. good (like all Wadjet Games productions), though some of Anna’s Spanish pronunciation was a bit out I think - no surprise to see that the actor playing Uncle Javi was Spanish-speaking (presumably) whereas Anna’s actress wasn’t. One minor flaw (according to my Japanese wife) is that some of the Japanese used by Reno in the final scene at the Eleven Foundation hideout was incorrect. The phrases and word endings used a couple of times would (apparantly) only be used by a male person, not a female. Graphically Resonance was Ok, but it didn’t quite have the atmosphere that Gemini Rue managed (despite its retro graphics) to create. That’s one aspect where Gemini Rue’s better for me, but overall, thanks to its puzzle design, Resonance just about betters it for me.

So for me definitely Game of the Year and indeed goes into my Top 10 adventures of all time I think. Will definitely go through it again with the commentary & looking to whatever Vince Twelve produces next - though hopefully it won’t take 5 years Wink. Indeed, with the quality of this, Gemini Rue, and Dave Gilbert’s Blackwell games, I’ll be looking for anything new Wadjet Games release - they’ve definitely gone to No 1 publishers at the moment for me. (sorry for the post length Tongue )

Total Posts: 946

Joined 2005-06-02

PM

Hi Davey! Nice to see you again. Smile

DaveyB - 26 January 2013 06:20 AM

So for me definitely Game of the Year and indeed goes into my Top 10 adventures of all time I think. Will definitely go through it again with the commentary & looking to whatever Vince Twelve produces next - though hopefully it won’t take 5 years Wink. Indeed, with the quality of this, Gemini Rue, and Dave Gilbert’s Blackwell games, I’ll be looking for anything new Wadjet Games release - they’ve definitely gone to No 1 publishers at the moment for me. (sorry for the post length Tongue )

Check out Primordia at Wadjet, if you haven’t already. For me, it’s not in the same league as Resonance, but definitely a good game.

PS: How did you like Botanicula?

Now playing: ——-
Recently finished: don’t remember
Up next:  Eh…
Looking forward to:
Ithaka of the Clouds; The Last Crown; all the kickstarter adventure games I supported

Joined 2008-07-05

PM

Fien - 26 January 2013 07:58 AM

Hi Davey! Nice to see you again. Smile

Thanks Fien. I always drop in on a regular basis, but only actually write something when I’ve got something to say Wink

A couple of other things with Resonance. It’s not the longest game in the world. We finished it in ca. 10 days or so, which considering the fact that we didn’t use a walkthrough at all (apart from once early-ish on when still getting to grips with the STM/LTM system), isn’t that long. But that’s not a criticism - I think there’s a danger that a very long game looses its focus at times & you forget where you actually are/ what happened before. This is a criticism of the Tex games for me, especially Pandora Directive, although I know it’s got a lot of other strengths.

Check out Primordia at Wadjet , if you haven’t already. For me, it’s not in the same league as Resonance, but definitely a good game.

Good point. I’ve read about it but had forgotten that it’s also Wadjet. Concept sounds interesting with similarities to Machinarium & Beneath a Steel Sky. But initially we’ve got the 2nd part of Cognition coming - another impressive new game. Found the first part very enjoyable even if it did have a few flaws.

PS: How did you like Botanicula?

Think we’re getting a bit off-topic there Wink. Very enjoyable, but a slightly different experience as we played it (like Machinarium) with our now-just-five years old son. But those games are super for small children as there’s no writing & the animation & music are so well done. Obviously Botanicula’s not got the same emotional depth as something like Resonance or Gemini Rue (or GK, Longest Journey or Last Express for that matter) but taken on its own merits, it’s a fantastic game. The creativity, animation, & music are great. And I was sceptical before playing Machinarium as I didn’t believe an adventure without speech could be so much fun - I’d always believed the story/plot are of ultimate precedence. Still do actually, but Machinarium proved to me there are other types of adventures I can also enjoy. Never tried Riven, but maybe I should - Myst rather put me off that who sub-category. It’s really not my thing.

Joined 2005-06-02

PM

Yeah, must be nice to play Botanicula with a young child. I gave the game as a present to two teenage girls. They said they liked it but found it too difficult. Huh? Oh well… at least I tried. 

Both Botanicula and Resonance would be in my top ten if there was any room left, but the cut-throat competition (I just had to add GK2 after the community playthrough Smile) forces me to put Resonance in my top twenty and Botanicula in my top twenty-five. Or I could simply put all the best games I enjoyed most in my ever-growing top ten.  Cool

Looking forward to:
Ithaka of the Clouds; The Last Crown; all the kickstarter adventure games I supported

Joined 2008-07-05

PM

Fien - 27 January 2013 05:33 AM

Yeah, must be nice to play Botanicula with a young child. I gave the game as a present to two teenage girls. They said they liked it but found it too difficult. Huh? Oh well… at least I tried. 

Both Botanicula and Resonance would be in my top ten if there was any room left, but the cut-throat competition (I just had to add GK2 after the community playthrough Smile) forces me to put Resonance in my top twenty and Botanicula in my top twenty-five. Or I could simply put all the best games I enjoyed most in my ever-growing top ten.  Cool

Yep, he had (still has - he regularly replays them!) a lot of fun with Machinarium & Botanicula though obviously we had to help with the tougher bits Wink

Do you actually have a Top-10 written on the forum anywhere? I’d be interested to know what games I haven’t played from it. I seem to remember you being a Bad Mojo fan, but we had problems getting that to run on Windows 7 Neutral

Joined 2005-06-02

PM

My top twenty is not cast in stone. Here’s the latest version.

1. The Last Express
2. Obsidian
3. Riven
4. Zork Grand Inquisitor
5. Grim Fandango
6. Bad Mojo
7. Day of the Tentacle
8. Neverhood
9. Discworld 1
10. Gabriel Knight 2: The Beast Within
11. Discworld Noir
12. Dreamfall
13. Tex Murphy: The Pandora Directive
14. Sam&Max; Season 1 and 2
15. Callahan’s Crosstime Saloon
16. Edna and Harvey
17. Machinarium
18. Resonance
19. Gemini Rue
20. Dark Fall 1

PS: Have you played Callahan’s? We’re starting a new community playthrough this week.

Looking forward to:

Joined 2008-07-05

PM

Fien - 28 January 2013 06:13 AM

My top twenty is not cast in stone. Here’s the latest version.

PS: Have you played Callahan’s? We’re starting a new community playthrough this week.

Nope, but don’t have a copy either. Is it downloadable anywhere (e.g. GOG)? The only Legends adventure I ever played was the Death Gate one v. early in my PC Adventure days, and I can’t say I was that impressed. Curse of Monkey Island & GK2 (both of which I played fairly soon after) seemed to me SOOOO much better. Part of the problem is probably a 1st person issue - with very rare exceptions, I’m not keen. 3rd person appeals to me a lot more.

Thanks for the table. I’ve actually played exactly half of your top 20 - more from the second 20 than the first, interestingly enough. The Discworlds I never tried as I found Terry Pratchett totally unfunny when I tried one (The colour of Magic?) 20+ years ago. You’d recommend giving Riven a try then Wink. Is it important at all to have played/finished Myst?

Joined 2005-06-02

PM

If you don’t like 1st-person games, then don’t play Obsidian, Callahan’s (not downloadable AFAIK), Riven, Zork GI, Dark Fall 1, Tex Murphy. I love Riven with a passion (Zork GI too, my type of humor) but there’s no shortage of Myst haters. So play it at your own risk.  Laughing You don’t have to play Myst first, although it IS a series.

I’d love to see your top ten/twenty!

Looking forward to:

Total Posts: 1368

Joined 2012-09-28

PM

DaveyB - 28 January 2013 06:48 AM

The Discworlds I never tried as I found Terry Pratchett totally unfunny when I tried one (The colour of Magic?) 20+ years ago.

That might be a mistake. I disliked his early books like The Colour of Magic too but loved the Discworld games. I’m not a great fan of the books but from the couple I’ve read he gets much better.

Total Posts: 2996

Joined 2012-03-09

PM

Zifnab - 28 January 2013 07:57 AM

The Discworlds I never tried as I found Terry Pratchett totally unfunny when I tried one (The colour of Magic?) 20+ years ago.

That might be a mistake. I disliked his early books like The Colour of Magic too but loved the Discworld games. I’m not a great fan of the books but from the couple I’ve read he gets much better.

Nah… The Colour of Magic (and the Light Fantastic) was always one of my favourites. I believe the most rescent Discworld Novels (Say Unseen Academics or I Shall wear Midnight for example) are much more mature/adult in style, much less humorous, with much greater depth in the characters presented however (Nutt in UA is the perfect example). If you didn’t found funny its first novels then it’s probably not your style.
My personal favorites are Wyrd Sisters, Small Gods, Colour of Magic/The Light Fantastic and Reaper Man. Also liked Unseen Academics, Mort, Faust/Eric and Thief of Time.

You’d recommend giving Riven a try then Wink.

Best game of all time!!! Thumbs Up

EDIT: You should also have in mind that many of the Discworld game jokes come straight from the novels (especially in Disc 1&2 where Rincewind is the hero and the world a more “Pratchet” one than Noir). Noir might be more of your style than the first two.

Total Posts: 1368

Joined 2012-09-28

PM

Yeah, funnily enough I just never liked anything with Rincewind in it. I say that because I thought he’s so great in the game. Been a while since I’ve read Pratchett but I remember Small Gods being easily my favourite.

Joined 2012-03-09

PM

And that’s how a thread turns from Resonance to Rincewind. Grin
I loved Rincewind. In the first 3 novels. I think that he was overused in his last 2 stories (Interesting Times,The Last Continent). Pratchet himself admited that he was actually tired of him and wrote so many stories around him because of the popularity Rincewind gained from the game’s success. So I guess you are right. He was great in the game. Smile

Total Posts: 1289

Joined 2012-07-15

PM

In my opinion, Rincewind was just as brilliant in the books as in the games. The only difference is that in the books, Eric Idle’s voice isn’t attached to him. The color of magic was the first Discworld novel I read, and I immediately fell for this bizarre mixture of Monty Python humor and Tolkien-inspired fantasy, but I feel quite confident in saying that his books gets better and better by each volume. Mort is one of my personal favourites, the story is quite similar to Discworld 2, except there’s no Rincewind.

The Discworld books aren’t written in a particular order, that is, they all have independent stories (except The Light Fantastic, which is a direct sequel to The Color of Magic) so you can pick up just about any book in the series and start reading.

Terry Pratchett, Neil Gaiman, Douglas Adams… how can anyone NOT like these writers? Smile

Duckman: Can you believe it? Five hundred bucks for a parking ticket?
Cornfed Pig: You parked in a handicapped zone.
Duckman: Who cares? Nobody parks there anyway, except for the people who are supposed to park there and, hell, I can outrun them anytime.

Joined 2012-03-09

PM

Dag - 28 January 2013 09:37 AM

The Discworld books aren’t written in a particular order, that is, they all have independent stories

That is not entirely true. While each book has its own story, there are certain events that happen chronologically to either the world or the main characters (Rincewind, the Witches, Death, etc) and are presented throughout the books. They are better understood if read in the correct order.

Total Posts: 8471

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

Sefir - 28 January 2013 10:22 AM

They are better understood if read in the correct order.

The Discworld Reading Order Guide (version 1.5) Wink

The truth can’t hurt you, it’s just like the dark: it scares you witless but in time you see things clear and stark. - Elvis Costello
Maybe this time I can be strong, but since I know who I am, I’m probably wrong. Maybe this time I can go far, but thinking about where I’ve been ain’t helping me start. - Michael Kiwanuka

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top