• Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums
continue reading below

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

DaleGabriel

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Silence - The Whispered World 2

Total Posts: 217

Joined 2003-09-12

PM

Looks beautiful! Now if they’ll manage to capture the spirit of predecessor as well, I’m sold.

Total Posts: 229

Joined 2006-03-25

PM

the gameplay graphics are amazing

Total Posts: 444

Joined 2012-03-30

PM

yes, it looks much better in gameplay (i was pretty turned down from the teaser). backgrounds are gorgeous

Total Posts: 112

Joined 2003-10-18

PM

Adventure Games Forever - 20 January 2014 02:16 AM

I agree, it looks more 2D during gameplay, even though it is fully 3D. It is a great looking 2D/3D hybrid.

That’s not full 3D. It’s some kind of hybrid, like you said, that gives the illusion of 3D even though it’s mostly 2D. You won’t see the camera free-roam in the environments like in full 3D games.

It does look amazing though.

Total Posts: 114

Joined 2007-08-24

PM

Keregioz - 20 January 2014 05:10 AM
Adventure Games Forever - 20 January 2014 02:16 AM

I agree, it looks more 2D during gameplay, even though it is fully 3D. It is a great looking 2D/3D hybrid.

That’s not full 3D. It’s some kind of hybrid, like you said, that gives the illusion of 3D even though it’s mostly 2D. You won’t see the camera free-roam in the environments like in full 3D games.

I was under the impression it’s actually mostly 3D, with some 2D art for the more distant backgrounds (or do I just have my semantics confused, thought “full 3D” just means the scene is rendered in three dimensions, not necessarily free-roaming).

Joined 2003-10-18

PM

MoP - 20 January 2014 08:50 AM

I was under the impression it’s actually mostly 3D, with some 2D art for the more distant backgrounds (or do I just have my semantics confused, thought “full 3D” just means the scene is rendered in three dimensions, not necessarily free-roaming).

I didn’t mean it’s not 3d because there’s no free roaming, I meant that even if you wanted you can’t free roam, it’s not a fully 3D rendered game. The 3D “effect” only works from the specific camera angle, it’s like an advanced “parallax” effect. At least based on the gameplay video, I may be wrong. Maybe someone has some more insight on the technique that was used.

Joined 2007-08-24

PM

Keregioz - 20 January 2014 09:02 AM

I didn’t mean is not 3d because there no free roaming, I meant that even if you wanted you can’t free roam, it’s not a fully 3D rendered game. The 3D “effect” only works from the specific camera angle, it’s like an advanced “parallax” effect. At least based on the gameplay video, I may be wrong. Maybe someone has some more insight on the technique that was used.

Well the person from Daedalic “narrating” that gameplay bit says near the beginning “it’s actually a 3D character and 3D scene, but we maintain the good sides of 2D art” and “deformed 3D meshes, and the whole 2D artwork is projected on these meshes”, so it doesn’t sound like just some advanced filtering/layering technique, as an advanced technique of laying 2D art on 3D geometry. If so, I do wonder if it would be easily possible to apply this technique in a free-roaming environment, or if it’s indeed tied in somehow to the fixed camera angle.

Joined 2003-10-18

PM

MoP - 20 January 2014 09:13 AM
Keregioz - 20 January 2014 09:02 AM

I didn’t mean is not 3d because there no free roaming, I meant that even if you wanted you can’t free roam, it’s not a fully 3D rendered game. The 3D “effect” only works from the specific camera angle, it’s like an advanced “parallax” effect. At least based on the gameplay video, I may be wrong. Maybe someone has some more insight on the technique that was used.

Well the person from Daedalic “narrating” that gameplay bit says near the beginning “it’s actually a 3D character and 3D scene, but we maintain the good sides of 2D art” and “deformed 3D meshes, and the whole 2D artwork is projected on these meshes”, so it doesn’t sound like just some advanced filtering/layering technique, as an advanced technique of laying 2D art on 3D geometry. If so, I do wonder if it would be easily possible to apply this technique in a free-roaming environment, or if it’s indeed tied in somehow to the fixed camera angle.

Yes, that was what I meant by “advanced parallax technique” (I’m not sure what it’s really called).
It has 3D elements on which the 2D art is projected, but you have a restricted camera movement before you realize that it’s not actually a full 3D rendered environment.

Joined 2007-08-24

PM

(quotes got long enough Wink) So like a collection of incomplete 3D shapes appropriate for the scene only from the used camera angle; possibly, though I wonder if path-finding wouldn’t be an issue in that case. His use of the term “3D scene” still indicated to me of something more than that (like the textures aren’t there, but the geometry is full), but maybe it was just the easiest way to explain it. Now I’m more interested in the technique than the game Crazy

Total Posts: 8471

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

Graphics look amazing, imo. And it really looks like an advanced form of parallax scrolling…

The truth can’t hurt you, it’s just like the dark: it scares you witless but in time you see things clear and stark. - Elvis Costello
Maybe this time I can be strong, but since I know who I am, I’m probably wrong. Maybe this time I can go far, but thinking about where I’ve been ain’t helping me start. - Michael Kiwanuka

Total Posts: 1289

Joined 2012-07-15

PM

I spoke too soon earlier. It really does look amazing!

Duckman: Can you believe it? Five hundred bucks for a parking ticket?
Cornfed Pig: You parked in a handicapped zone.
Duckman: Who cares? Nobody parks there anyway, except for the people who are supposed to park there and, hell, I can outrun them anytime.

Total Posts: 6590

Joined 2007-07-22

PM

Just read that the newest press release states that in TWW2 there will be “NO inventory and it will feature easier to use one-click interface”.

Oh, well:

Recently finished: Four Last Things 4/5, Edna & Harvey: The Breakout 5/5, Chains of Satinav 3,95/5, A Vampyre Story 88, Sam Peters 3/5, Broken Sword 1 4,5/5, Broken Sword 2 4,3/5, Broken Sword 3 85, Broken Sword 5 81, Gray Matter 4/5\nCurrently playing: Broken Sword 4, Keepsake (Let\‘s Play), Callahan\‘s Crosstime Saloon (post-Community Playthrough)\nLooking forward to: A Playwright’s Tale

Total Posts: 1279

Joined 2012-07-11

PM

No inventory?

Sounds interesting…

Recently completed: Game of Thrones (decent), Tales from the borderlands (great!), Life is Strange (great!), Stasis (good), Annas Quest (great!); Broken Age (poor)

Total Posts: 2653

Joined 2013-03-14

PM

I really like how the 3D projection makes the background art so lively. It brings the art into an entirely new level and opens up some great possibilities.

Total Posts: 6590

Joined 2007-07-22

PM

Tad - 19 March 2014 11:08 AM

No inventory?

Sounds interesting…

I realize what they’re trying to achieve might be something similar to Brothers: A Tale of Two Sons, but if that game could be any better, I’d like it to be with the addition of an inventory. If TWW2 aims to be “innovative”, I’d rather if it was by “addition” to the usual freedom/combination, not by removing the inventory. Of course, it’s too early to tell.

tomimt - 19 March 2014 11:20 AM

I really like how the 3D projection makes the background art so lively. It brings the art into an entirely new level and opens up some great possibilities.

I agree, and I admit my fear was not grounded when I first saw it wasn’t traditional 2D, but that’s exactly why it saddens me to hear there’s no inventory (along with a one-click) in such a beautiful 3D world as it can narrow the interactivity.

Recently finished: Four Last Things 4/5, Edna & Harvey: The Breakout 5/5, Chains of Satinav 3,95/5, A Vampyre Story 88, Sam Peters 3/5, Broken Sword 1 4,5/5, Broken Sword 2 4,3/5, Broken Sword 3 85, Broken Sword 5 81, Gray Matter 4/5\nCurrently playing: Broken Sword 4, Keepsake (Let\‘s Play), Callahan\‘s Crosstime Saloon (post-Community Playthrough)\nLooking forward to: A Playwright’s Tale

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top