• Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums
continue reading below

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

TELLTALE IS DOING GAME OF THRONES!!!! (unconfirmed but very likely)

Total Posts: 278

Joined 2008-07-11

PM

Blackthorne - 23 November 2013 08:35 PM

Yeah, but they’re not original characters.

Clem, Lee, Kenny, Ben, Christa, Omid…they are original characters, and they were more human than most characters in most games, admittedly including Telltale’s previous games.

Total Posts: 1235

Joined 2013-03-31

PM

orient - 23 November 2013 08:23 PM

It doesn’t make those games fan-service crap just because they’re licensed.

You’re right.  It’s not just because they’re licensed.  Wink

Total Posts: 278

Joined 2008-07-11

PM

Your constant criticism of Telltale is kind of funny due to how predictable it is, but it’s starting to become kind of pathetic. They’re a video game company, not a bank. Time to move on with your live.

Total Posts: 555

Joined 2004-02-11

PM

Sounds like a great fit to me.  What TWD did better than almost every other game I’ve played is flesh out great characters, go to places where most games don’t dare to go, and provide the player with really tough moral dilemmas.  Game of Thrones seems like a really good fit for what they do best.

And yes, the constant bashing of Telltale on this forum is extremely tiresome.  If you don’t like them, fine, but there’s no reason to keep bashing them over and over for not being what you think adventure games should be.  There’s many of us that love what they’re doing.

And personally I think TWD was a more engaging game than 90% of adventure games released since 1999.  Story, characters, and emotional impact are more important to me than anything when it comes to adventure games, and most completely drop the ball on that nowadays.

Total Posts: 532

Joined 2009-06-07

PM

Detective Mosely - 24 November 2013 02:54 AM

Sounds like a great fit to me.  What TWD did better than almost every other game I’ve played is flesh out great characters, go to places where most games don’t dare to go, and provide the player with really tough moral dilemmas.  Game of Thrones seems like a really good fit for what they do best.

I couldn’t agree more!

And yes, the constant bashing of Telltale on this forum is extremely tiresome.  If you don’t like them, fine, but there’s no reason to keep bashing them over and over for not being what you think adventure games should be.  There’s many of us that love what they’re doing.

THIS!^^

Joined 2009-06-07

PM

Also on the same subject. I’d like to say I very strongly diaprove of all the TellTale bashing in this thread. That’s not why I set it up. This thread is not about whether TellTale games are good or bad. There is a whole seperate thread for that. It’s about whether their style will fit GoT and what you would like to see form an interactive GoT spin off. If you want to bash TellTale go do it somewhere else. If you look at my OP I never aksed anyone what you think about TellTale. This thread is about TellTale’s take on GoT specifically not TellTale in general. It’s nice if you voice your opinion but stick to the subject and don’t go of on an off topic rant.

And of course: keep it civil.

Total Posts: 1235

Joined 2013-03-31

PM

I love the arbitrary line you guys are drawing between explaining why one wouldn’t want to see Telltale helm a Game of Thrones game and “bashing Telltale.”  Apparently I wasn’t being direct enough.  Wink  Allow me to break it down in an on-topic kind of way.

1)  I don’t think Telltale has the graphical or writing capabilities to tackle Game of Thrones.  The limitations of their engine alone would all but destroy the amazing sense of scale of the world of Westeros as it is shown and described in both the TV show and the books. 

2)  I don’t want to play a Game of Thrones Choose-Your-Own-Adventure-Interactive-Movie-Cartoon made to appeal to the lowest common denominator of intelligence and patience.  The series deserves far better.

3)  I think Telltale’s writing chops are VASTLY overrated, and I don’t think they have what it takes to translate the complexities of George R. R. Martin’s source material without resorting to gimmicks.  I’d hate to see one of my favorite series tarnished by Telltale’s dirty, pandering hands.

Total Posts: 2648

Joined 2004-01-18

PM

It’s easy, a well balance argument putting forward specific reason as to why Telltale shouldn’t helm this project is on one side of the line.

Generally sneering potshots like below are just Telltale bashing like most of your posts anytime Telltale are brought up.

This statement is completely at odds with your professed desire to see Telltale do a Game of Thrones game, as Telltale’s version would surely be neither cerebral nor challenging.  Just saying.  Wink

or

You just described every Telltale game.  Wink

or

You’re right.  It’s not just because they’re licensed.  Wink

We all know you don’t like anything Telltale, but give it a rest. It’s getting boring and predictable.

An adventure game is nothing more than a good story set with engaging puzzles that fit seamlessly in with the story and the characters, and looks and sounds beautiful.
Roberta Williams

Total Posts: 175

Joined 2008-09-02

PM

I’m not gonna comment on this further, but I think everyone knows by now what certain people from Infamous Quests think about Telltale. Fine! It’s your right to feel that way. No need to tell us again and again and again and again and again.  I met quite some very cool indie developers in real life and some of them are personal friends. But developers acting like this in public are a disgrace for all of the others as well. It has even been a topic we discussed at the Gamescom dinner I organized.

No need to tell me “I’m not just a developer. I’m also a fan”. That’s the same thing Paul Trowe said when he took a dump on Space Venture. If you really don’t understand why a statement like that is bullshit in your case it’s probably too late anyway.

No need for a discussion here. Like I said I’m not gonna comment on this anymore. If you’d really understand as much about this business as you like to pretend you’d know yourself how unprofessional some of your stunts on this message board are.

Now playing: GreedFall, Control
Recently finished: Telling Lies, The Sinking City

Joined 2009-06-07

PM

Ingmar - 24 November 2013 08:30 AM

I’m not gonna comment on this further, but I think everyone knows by now what certain people from Infamous Quests think about Telltale. Fine! It’s your right to feel that way. No need to tell us again and again and again and again and again.  I met quite some very cool indie developers in real life and some of them are personal friends. But developers acting like this in public are a disgrace for all of the others as well. It has even been a topic we discussed at the Gamescom dinner I organized.

No need to tell me “I’m not just a developer. I’m also a fan”. That’s the same thing Paul Trowe said when he took a dump on Space Venture. If you really don’t understand why a statement like that is bullshit in your case it’s probably too late anyway.

No need for a discussion here. Like I said I’m not gonna comment on this anymore. If you’d really understand as much about this business as you like to pretend you’d know yourself how unprofessional some of your stunts on this message board are.

Even though this post might be a bit harsh I have to agree. This kind of behaviour is unbecoming for a professional.

Total Posts: 619

Joined 2012-06-06

PM

This has NOTHING to do with Infamous Quests, this has to do with our personal opinions as gamers.  Please make this distinction.

This is a different matter altogether, and being compared in any close quarters to that situation is insulting. No one has tried to sabotage anyone here, nor cast any personal aspersions on anyone at Telltale. It’s general gaming/internet bitching here, and (for me personally) I would never wish anyone ill will there, or wish failure on them at all! That is awful and absurd.

I have been very careful in my wording, and my thoughts are that Game of Thrones, as source material, would not be a good fit with the way that they produce and create games.  I have not said “I hope they die in a fire.” or something along those lines - that’s a bit extreme.  I don’t think the games they have created are the second coming by any means, but I don’t feel that they’re some kind of abomination that needs to be erased.

I realize that many people have strong and warm feelings about Telltale, but that is no reason to negate the fact that there are people who do not feel their products are some kind of shining jewel.

My opinion stands - This isn’t good material for Telltale, and that’s how I feel about it. Opinions will vary, and at this stage, its a rumor we’re speculating on.  Varying opinions should be welcome in a discussion like this.

Bt

Total Posts: 600

Joined 2011-06-07

PM

Ingmar - 24 November 2013 08:30 AM

THIS!
We’ve been at it over and over again.

Let’s see when (IF) their game comes out. Given Infamous Quests constant criticism on Telltale, expectations on their game will be sky high….this will be rather funny and I for one, would love to see the reception of their game.

These two STILL don’t understand that their online behavior reflects poorly on Infamous Quests as a whole.

Total Posts: 2653

Joined 2013-03-14

PM

As far writing goes, I’m sure that Telltale will do a fine job. What I’m worried the most is their engine and overall art style. Telltale has tried to do games with more realistic approach and those have not been working that well for them. The Walking Dead and Fables work for them as they can hide the age of their engine with more stylished comic book art style, but to really do justice to GoT you’d have to go more in the direction of the Witcher series at least as far art goes.

But anyways, I’ll be waiting for interest what they’ll come up with before I start judging things any further.

Total Posts: 619

Joined 2012-06-06

PM

subbi - 24 November 2013 10:42 AM

We’ve been at it over and over again.

Let’s see when (IF) their game comes out. Given Infamous Quests constant criticism on Telltale, expectations on their game will be sky high….this will be rather funny and I for one, would love to see the reception of their game.

These two STILL don’t understand that their online behavior reflects poorly on Infamous Quests as a whole.

Subbi, I’m an open book. Really, if you have any questions about anything, you are welcome to engage me personally.  One of my favorite aspects of being an indie developer is interacting with people directly. 

I have no personal vitriol with you, or with Telltale for that matter, but the personal glee you exhibit when thinking about negative things about me or my group is definitely something of concern.

Bt

Joined 2009-06-07

PM

tomimt - 24 November 2013 10:59 AM

As far writing goes, I’m sure that Telltale will do a fine job. What I’m worried the most is their engine and overall art style. Telltale has tried to do games with more realistic approach and those have not been working that well for them. The Walking Dead and Fables work for them as they can hide the age of their engine with more stylished comic book art style, but to really do justice to GoT you’d have to go more in the direction of the Witcher series at least as far art goes.

But anyways, I’ll be waiting for interest what they’ll come up with before I start judging things any further.

I’m not sure about The Witcher as I haven’t played it but a graphic style similar to Dragon Age Origins which I am playing now would suffice imo. And since that is nowadays an already outdated engine I can definitely see TellTale doing fine graphics wise. And let’s be honest: graphics isn’t everything. I don’t really like the look of ToMI (even though I warmed up to it a bit over time) but I still consider it my favourite MI game. Simply because of the wonderful story and characters. (please TellTale do a season 2 and bring back Morgan!)

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top