• Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums
continue reading below

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Sorry Edna and Harvey - I was wrong

Total Posts: 133

Joined 2006-02-14

PM

I’ve been holding off on Edna and Harvey for ages, being sure I wouldn’t like it, as I’m not especially fan of cartoony graphics, I don’t like verb parsers and I prefer darker games over comedy. Also after I finally got it on a Gog sale together with the rest of Daedalic’s games, AVG insisted the exe file was a virus and vaulted it.

But, I reinstalled it this weekend and have been playing around 5 hours now (Edna and Harvey the Breakout), and I love it!
I have several issues with the UI; I wish I could lock an interaction so that I could go through all the looking at and talking to without pressing it each time, and the inventory is driving me crazy, but I’m still enjoying it immensely!

Love Edna, like the setting, and really enjoy all the interactions.
I’m scribbling on everything, cutting things, reading comic book stories.. I was sad when I had to give up the dictionary because I’d not be able to get definitions about everything anymore!

Favourites include: learning all the inventory items’ favourite tv-show, torturing the Bladder(and made myself need to go to the toilet), the brain, “freeing” the twins, New beginning painting, “the master key”.... So many of Edna’s interactions are funny and quite unexpected.

It has to be one of the most enjoyable games I’ve played in a long time, and as I said, I don’t usually go for humour games! Laughing

I play story-heavy games, watch animation, anime, B-movies, disaster movies, sci-fi movies and crime shows and try to write about it all on my blog: Snark, pedantry and random geekery

Total Posts: 8720

Joined 2012-01-02

PM

yeaaa ..this game will be for us to talk about for decades to come and how great it was ... strange that its kinda underrated or at least not praised enough ...YET

Total Posts: 1891

Joined 2010-11-16

PM

Panthera - 20 March 2013 10:18 PM

AVG insisted the exe file was a virus and vaulted it.

AVG suuuucks.
The breakout is a pretty unique game. The level of interaction and amount of voice recording is just insane… its actually hard to tell someone about it who hasnt played it.
A bit disappointing that harvey’s new eyes didnt keep that level of interaction, but i still find that game equally lovable.

Total Posts: 345

Joined 2012-04-04

PM

The Breakout was pretty wonderful. It got the darkly humourous tone just right. 

It’s sequel, however, did not. It stopped being humourous, and was instead quite off-putting in it’s meanness. A really strange, uncomfortable experience.

Well, for me, anyway. Other people’s main complaint seems to be that it’s nowhere near as interactive as it’s predecessor, which is true enough, but the tonal issues were the more concerning facet of that game for me.

Total Posts: 4262

Joined 2005-04-14

PM

Everybody wants to be Cary Grant.
Even Me.

-Cary Grant

Total Posts: 946

Joined 2005-06-02

PM

Yeah, Edna rules!

Now playing: ——-
Recently finished: don’t remember
Up next:  Eh…
Looking forward to:
Ithaka of the Clouds; The Last Crown; all the kickstarter adventure games I supported

Total Posts: 946

Joined 2005-06-02

PM

A.A - 21 March 2013 03:33 AM

It’s sequel, however, did not. It stopped being humourous, and was instead quite off-putting in it’s meanness. A really strange, uncomfortable experience.

Hm.. I don’t know about “mean”, but both games had dark undertones.

Now playing: ——-
Recently finished: don’t remember
Up next:  Eh…
Looking forward to:
Ithaka of the Clouds; The Last Crown; all the kickstarter adventure games I supported

Total Posts: 2994

Joined 2012-03-09

PM

Fien - 21 March 2013 05:31 AM
A.A - 21 March 2013 03:33 AM

Hm.. I don’t know about “mean”, but both games had dark undertones.

And almost ALL Daedelic games are bittersweet (even dark) towards the end.

Total Posts: 415

Joined 2007-12-29

PM

I really enjoyed it too.  I thought the puzzles were really well thought out. the ending kind of bothered me, but, I guess it fit into the story.

Total Posts: 1891

Joined 2010-11-16

PM

Oh certainly, the second game’s humor got quite a bit darker, and i loved it for that. I had hoped the breakout wouldv had more dark humor (although it has incredibly dark endings regardless).

Total Posts: 1289

Joined 2012-07-15

PM

I steared clear of Edna and Harvey for quite some time aswell. As some of you may have gathered, I’m quite picky when it comes to artwork (backgrounds in particular), and to me it looks like the artwork in E&H is done by a 10 year old (granted, a talented ten-year-old, but a ten-year-old nonetheless). Compare it to Chains of Satinav or a New Beginning and it’s almost hard to believe E&H is coming from the same company. Deponia has a pretty similar artstyle to E&H, but without a doubt, there’s a LOT more effort put into the art there.

Anyway, the praise Edna and Harvey received here and in other forums made me realize I had to let my visual preferences take the back seat, and give the game a chance. I’m glad I did! Though, I was initially disappointed by Edna’s voice actor, it didn’t take long before the games apparent qualities began showing:

What the game lacks as far as art is concerned, they more than make up for with its incredible amount of interaction and the very humorous way it’s presented. It was a breath of fresh air from the ocean of modern AG’s with an incredible low amount of hotspots and even less interaction possibilities. This took me back to the old days, where every scene of an adventure game could capture your curiousity for a long time. Being stuck in Edna and Harvey was never boring or frustrating, because they actually managed to make trial and erroring FUN. Who’s ever done that? One could almost think that Josh Mandel was in charge of creating all the hotspots and their related texts.

I also think that Harvey was a wonderfully deranged sidekick that could give even Max a run for his money Smile

If not for my issues with the artwork, Edna and Harvey would easily have been my favourite game from the Daedalic catalogue.

Duckman: Can you believe it? Five hundred bucks for a parking ticket?
Cornfed Pig: You parked in a handicapped zone.
Duckman: Who cares? Nobody parks there anyway, except for the people who are supposed to park there and, hell, I can outrun them anytime.

Total Posts: 3933

Joined 2011-03-14

PM

Like Dag i also avoided Edna & Harvey for a long time, because of the childish looking artwork, but i am so happy that i finally gave it a try. It is really a brilliant game.

I also like Harveys New Eyes very much, perhaps not quite as good, and not as many interactions, but the homour is just as quirky as the first, and as others have said a bit darker, which suits me just fine.

You have to play the game, to find out why you are playing the game! - eXistenZ

Total Posts: 6590

Joined 2007-07-22

PM

Dag - 21 March 2013 10:25 AM

It was a breath of fresh air from the ocean of modern AG’s with an incredible low amount of hotspots and even less interaction possibilities.

Agreed! You can even argue that Edna and Harvey is “hardcore” in that regard, as Daedalic “lightened” things slightly in The Whispered World (but for a good balance, IMO). Haven’t played the latest Daedalic’s games so I’m not sure how they fare in that regard, but I do hope that they continue with the trend of hight interactivity with their games.

This took me back to the old days, where every scene of an adventure game could capture your curiousity for a long time

While I agree with you to an extent about the graphics, I must confess that Edna and Harvey graphics, while simple in its nature, has a tons of charm and uniqueness - not only that, but it’s exactly the graphics, like for example this shot that seemed quite retro-interesting to me. It’s almost like a Cartoon Network style, with the “warm” and colorful atmosphere of Toy Story’s and such.

If not for my issues with the artwork, Edna and Harvey would easily have been my favourite game from the Daedalic catalogue.

Oh, and which one is? Tongue

Recently finished: Four Last Things 4/5, Edna & Harvey: The Breakout 5/5, Chains of Satinav 3,95/5, A Vampyre Story 88, Sam Peters 3/5, Broken Sword 1 4,5/5, Broken Sword 2 4,3/5, Broken Sword 3 85, Broken Sword 5 81, Gray Matter 4/5\nCurrently playing: Broken Sword 4, Keepsake (Let\‘s Play), Callahan\‘s Crosstime Saloon (post-Community Playthrough)\nLooking forward to: A Playwright’s Tale

Total Posts: 415

Joined 2007-12-29

PM

steam has a sale on Harvey’s New Eyes and so I bought it. So far I am really enjoying the game, but wondering “WHY DID THEY USE SUCH LITTLE FONT?”  After playing Captain Morgane and the Golden Turtle and really enjoying it - that I could read what they said so well, now to go to a game that has such little font that I can hardly read it is very frustrating. What a bummer.

Total Posts: 1289

Joined 2012-07-15

PM

diego - 21 March 2013 01:12 PM

Hmm, a difficult question, as I hold them all in pretty high regard, but if I had to choose one, I guess I would have to go with The Whispered World, which pulled my strings in all the right ways. It was one of those games where after seeing a screenshot from it, I wasn’t able to rest untill I had the game in my hands. Visual beauty is something I value quite highly in adventure games, and The Whispered World is one of the most beautiful games I’ve ever played. I’m also one of those who sympathized with (and to some extent even identified with) Sadwick, rather than getting annoyed by him. Great game, great puzzles, great setting, great story, breathtaking visuals… one of my modern AG favourites.

Duckman: Can you believe it? Five hundred bucks for a parking ticket?
Cornfed Pig: You parked in a handicapped zone.
Duckman: Who cares? Nobody parks there anyway, except for the people who are supposed to park there and, hell, I can outrun them anytime.

Total Posts: 4011

Joined 2011-04-01

PM

I’m surprised that people don’t like the art style. I’m not big on cartoons but I really liked the ultra-simple approach here

Dag - 21 March 2013 07:27 PM
diego - 21 March 2013 01:12 PM

Hmm, a difficult question, as I hold them all in pretty high regard, but if I had to choose one, I guess I would have to go with The Whispered World

Ooh, now you’re in diego’s good books. Bootlicker  Tongue Innocent

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top