• Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums
continue reading below

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

chrissie

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

The Witness (open-world island inspired by Myst)

Total Posts: 880

Joined 2010-02-15

PM

I hope you all realize Braid isn’t meant to be experienced plainly from face value. There are many meanings and perspectives behind the game. Especially if you understood that the meaning can ultimately be found by finding and piecing together all the puzzle pieces. Mechanical is the right word, but that wasn’t a flaw of the game.

Stuart Bradley Newsom - Naughty Shinobi || Our Game: Shadow Over Isolation

Total Posts: 643

Joined 2006-09-24

PM

IIRC, a clip of this video was shown in Indie Game: The Movie when Blow was talking about people not interpreting the game as they should.

NSFW language

Total Posts: 880

Joined 2010-02-15

PM

inm8#2 - 16 February 2013 11:36 PM

IIRC, a clip of this video was shown in Indie Game: The Movie when Blow was talking about people not interpreting the game as they should.

NSFW language

Blow’s point is proven over and over again. He likes to criticize peoples inability to expand their thoughts and look beyond the surface. He’s not my idol in any way, but I respect everything about his look on game design. Just like I do with Guillermo Del Toro.

Stuart Bradley Newsom - Naughty Shinobi || Our Game: Shadow Over Isolation

Total Posts: 298

Joined 2004-08-15

PM

Monolith - 16 February 2013 10:50 PM

I hope you all realize Braid isn’t meant to be experienced plainly from face value. There are many meanings and perspectives behind the game. Especially if you understood that the meaning can ultimately be found by finding and piecing together all the puzzle pieces. Mechanical is the right word, but that wasn’t a flaw of the game.

Sure, but I never cared for the “deeper meaning”. I wasn’t intrigued by it and it didn’t pull me exactly in. Still had an enjoyable experience with the game, though! Smile

Total Posts: 47

Joined 2013-02-12

PM

Monolith - 17 February 2013 04:05 AM
inm8#2 - 16 February 2013 11:36 PM

NSFW language

Blow’s point is proven over and over again. He likes to criticize peoples inability to expand their thoughts and look beyond the surface. He’s not my idol in any way, but I respect everything about his look on game design. Just like I do with Guillermo Del Toro.

Sorry for going out of subject, but I agree with you about Guillermo Del Toro, I have deep respect for his work and I really hope he makes “Insane” after all. (Altough I would like him to make an adventure game that I would play, because “INsane” if it ever happens it will probably be too scary for me to play Meh )

Total Posts: 40

Joined 2009-04-25

PM

I’ve never played anything by this developer, but it looks potentially interesting, and since I’m a big fan of Myst, the “inspired by” makes me think it’s worth giving this one a try when it comes out. Wink

Total Posts: 966

Joined 2005-11-29

PM

This is really the kind of game I’d love to play on the Oculus Rift. I think there’s actually tremendous potential for the genre with VR. I think that kind of immersive experience would compel one to explore the small details and soak in a world more than it would running around and shooting things.

Total Posts: 8998

Joined 2004-01-05

PM

This was just shown in the sony conference. Exclusive for ps4 in consoles first.

Joined 2004-08-15

PM

Yeah, just read that too, missed the presentation, though. I’m sure it will be on YouTube later down the line. Smile
I must say I’m surprised that The Witness is a timed exlusive!

Total Posts: 8998

Joined 2004-01-05

PM

They showed a trailer but the streaming was really bad, so I couldn’t make out anything. He said console-exclusive to the ps4 so I think it could come out on PC at the same time but I don’t know.

Total Posts: 39

Joined 2011-02-13

PM

Here’s the Youtube trailer! http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=i7h7AleSCF4

Finally, gameplay footage!

It does indeed look as if there will be many line maze puzzles. But bear in mind that Mr. Blow is refusing to show too much of the gameplay in order to instill a sense of surprise and discovery for the player. So it wouldn’t surprise me if these line mazes were the equivalent of buttons in the gameworld, and the real puzzles have yet to be glimpsed.

Total Posts: 45

Joined 2012-11-27

PM

wilco - 20 February 2013 07:46 PM

They showed a trailer but the streaming was really bad, so I couldn’t make out anything. He said console-exclusive to the ps4 so I think it could come out on PC at the same time but I don’t know.

Yeah, the wording kind of suggests/leaves some room that it will be on desktop platforms as well, but not on the other consoles.

I read elsewhere that the PS4 was the only option if he wanted to release on pc simultaneously (probably because of Xbox publishing restrictions that would force him to either find a publisher or publish through Microsoft, but that would entail timed exclusivity for the platform).

So, I’m currently in the will-launch-on-pc-and-PS4-at-the-same-time camp. But not firmly.

Joined 2004-08-15

PM

Oh my, the trailer looks and sounds AMAZING!
As far as I understood it, the puzzles of The Witness will pretty much entirely consist of these line drawing puzzles. The reason for that is that JB wanted to design core gameplay mechanics that allowed the player to improve in their abilities. Like, when you play an ego shooter your core gameplay consists of shooting and over time you improve in it.
Traditional adventure games, on the other hand, offer no gameplay that is bound as much by consistent rules that would facilitate such ability improvement. The rules of adventure gameplay can change with every puzzle, and said puzzles don’t build on each other; so what you learnt from one puzzle can’t be applied to the next. That’s what he tries to change.
Which I think is good. I liked Portal for that very reason, that it has core gameplay that allowed the player to improve themselves in a certain skillset (in this case “thinking with portals”).

Total Posts: 59

Joined 2003-12-31

PM

This looks awful. Based on the trailer: no NPC interaction. Puzzle-driven gameplay with repetitive puzzles. Soulless environments. No discernible story.

NO THANKS. Loved Braid. This looks like a bore.

PS I am not a fan of Myst and its clones as if my bias wasn’t obvious.

Total Posts: 2989

Joined 2012-03-09

PM

Terabin - 21 February 2013 03:55 AM

This looks awful. Based on the trailer: no NPC interaction. Puzzle-driven gameplay with repetitive puzzles. Soulless environments. No discernible story.

NO THANKS. Loved Braid. This looks like a bore.

PS I am not a fan of Myst and its clones as if my bias wasn’t obvious.

What isn’t obvious is why someone with such a biased opinion against the Myst series and its clones writes about it in a thread called “The Witness: (open-world island inspired by Myst)”.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top