• Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums
continue reading below

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

walas74

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

AG Community Playthrough: Callahan’s Crosstime Saloon

Total Posts: 8998

Joined 2004-01-05

PM

Oh my… I was really overcomplicating in the time sled puzzle I was trying to turn the whole recipe into roman numerals instead of only CIVIC….

I’m at some point after that. I’ll probably finish the chapter by the weekend.

Total Posts: 406

Joined 2006-04-21

PM

I’ve finished the chapter too! I got the same text bugs, and had the old lady talking before she appeared. I got a bit lost in Ratzass’ dialogue, and didn’t realise he needed his kidney for quite a while. This chapter was pretty good, and I teared up at the end.

The real problem with reality is the lack of background music.

Knightette of the Order of the Caption

Music is what feelings sound like…

Total Posts: 8471

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

TerminusEst - 26 March 2013 12:59 AM

I second everything TimovieMan said (sans his sentiment about “the greatest AG puzzles of all time” Grin)

Hehe.

The more I think about it, the more I like that entire chocolate-making puzzle in Josie’s story. I already liked it from the beginning, but I find it even better in retrospect.
It’s an example of a perfect puzzle for me: it’s logical, you get a rough guideline to help you (so you at least know what you’re supposed to do and you’re never really stuck), it takes quite a few steps to complete (none of which are obtuse - so it’s complex, but perfectly doable), some parts have a very clever (and not too obvious) solution, and the entire thing is even educational because that really is how you make chocolate…
And it even manages to make you crave chocolate, which turns it into a sensory experience… Tongue

The truth can’t hurt you, it’s just like the dark: it scares you witless but in time you see things clear and stark. - Elvis Costello
Maybe this time I can be strong, but since I know who I am, I’m probably wrong. Maybe this time I can go far, but thinking about where I’ve been ain’t helping me start. - Michael Kiwanuka

Joined 2004-01-05

PM

TimovieMan - 27 March 2013 07:28 AM

The more I think about it, the more I like that entire chocolate-making puzzle in Josie’s story. I already liked it from the beginning, but I find it even better in retrospect.
It’s an example of a perfect puzzle for me: it’s logical, you get a rough guideline to help you (so you at least know what you’re supposed to do and you’re never really stuck), it takes quite a few steps to complete (none of which are obtuse - so it’s complex, but perfectly doable), some parts have a very clever (and not too obvious) solution, and the entire thing is even educational because that really is how you make chocolate…
And it even manages to make you crave chocolate, which turns it into a sensory experience… Tongue

I also liked the puzzle but I got stuck having to use the door to crumble the seeds or something but looking back at it is logical (in an adventure game world Smile ).
Also there is a fun little connection of that chapter with the ice-cream vendor in this one.

Total Posts: 359

Joined 2012-02-16

PM

TimovieMan - 27 March 2013 07:28 AM

It’s an example of a perfect puzzle for me [SNIP]

This is cool. There are plenty of articles out there naming and shaming bad puzzles but not so many about the more important category - the good ones. If I had more time I’d love to start a discussion here or in a separate thread about what makes for a great puzzle paired with prominent examples.

I am short on time though so I will restrict myself to agreeing that the chocolate-making puzzle was quite nice but it felt like the hints and nudges (in the brochure, on the walls of the temple, and from Josie) worked too much like a recipe for solving it. That is not necessarily bad but I prefer puzzles where the (entire) flash of inspiration comes from the player. I already sang its praises earlier in the thread but a great example of what I mean (coming from CCS itself to boot) is the bani-acquirement puzzle from Pyotr’s story. That was something else!

Total Posts: 5599

Joined 2008-01-09

PM

I just finished Al Phee’s story.  I knew from a few comments earlier in the game that something sad had happened to Jake’s family, but hearing him tell what he went through was a real wrench of the heart.  The fact that he overcame it and remained a genuinely kind man really touched me.  Great writing there.

I had some difficulties with parts of this one, mostly because the conversation with Ratzass was a bit disjointed.  It took me a while to realize that there were some new conversation options after I got my thug certificate.

I believe I said this before, but it’s worth repeating.  The voice acting in this game is superb. Thumbs Up

“Rainy days should be spent at home with a cup of tea and a good book.” -Bill Watterson

Total Posts: 54

Joined 2005-01-20

PM

I should give full credit where full credit is due: the casting and voice direction were all done by Kathleen Bober.

And you can actually hear Kathleen in the game: she was the voice of the dispatcher from York-Easter, in Pyotr’s story!

Josh

Total Posts: 946

Joined 2005-06-02

PM

Josho - 27 March 2013 08:57 PM

I should give full credit where full credit is due: the casting and voice direction were all done by Kathleen Bober.

And you can actually hear Kathleen in the game: she was the voice of the dispatcher from York-Easter, in Pyotr’s story!

You’ve told us about Kathleen-dispatcher-voicedirection already.

Now playing: ——-
Recently finished: don’t remember
Up next:  Eh…
Looking forward to:
Ithaka of the Clouds; The Last Crown; all the kickstarter adventure games I supported

Total Posts: 54

Joined 2005-01-20

PM

Sorry, Fien! (HEY! Fien! You’re here!) I didn’t mean to be pathetically repetitive. I’m truly in such a Leisure Suit Larry Reloaded haze that I’m not being as attentive as I ought to be.

Josh

Total Posts: 946

Joined 2005-06-02

PM

Josho - 28 March 2013 07:37 AM

Sorry, Fien! (HEY! Fien! You’re here!)

Don’t worry, I’m not really here.

Now playing: ——-
Recently finished: don’t remember
Up next:  Eh…
Looking forward to:
Ithaka of the Clouds; The Last Crown; all the kickstarter adventure games I supported

Total Posts: 2991

Joined 2012-03-09

PM

I am so glad that everybody enjoys the game. Smile I admit that the Al Phee quest is my personal favorite. Not only because of Jake’s confession (one of the most touching moments in AG history and most certainly the game’s best moment. I teared too (again). So simple, yet so powerful. The fact that the game’s only “serious” moment is also its best is a fantastic achievement, and surely the game’s peak.), but also for the constant mind-reading in the dialogs (especially the one with the beggar, where you unsuccessfully try to “mind read him”) and the memorable characters, from the old lady (what a lovely criminal Kingpin!) and the receptionist (some of her reactions to your inventory items is simply epic) to the Doctor himself with his excellent creepy voice.

EDIT: I am also happy that no one mentioned any technical problems regarding the video (QuickTime I think) in the confession.

Total Posts: 5599

Joined 2008-01-09

PM

Sefir - 28 March 2013 04:02 PM

EDIT: I am also happy that no one mentioned any technical problems regarding the video (QuickTime I think) in the confession.

Actually, I may have run into a glitch there.  I saw the first part of the video, up to the part where they put their coats on.  Then it went black when Jake was describing the fire.  I just thought it was intentional as my imagination of the tragedy was certainly vivid enough.

“Rainy days should be spent at home with a cup of tea and a good book.” -Bill Watterson

Total Posts: 359

Joined 2012-02-16

PM

Josho - 28 March 2013 07:37 AM

Sorry, Fien! (HEY! Fien! You’re here!) I didn’t mean to be pathetically repetitive. I’m truly in such a Leisure Suit Larry Reloaded haze that I’m not being as attentive as I ought to be.

Josh

Personally, I wouldn’t mind even if you posted every fifteen minutes with the same lewd joke in Old Church Slavonic. Grin It’s great enough that you and Jim Montanus are around.

Total Posts: 8471

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

Lady Kestrel - 28 March 2013 07:40 PM

Actually, I may have run into a glitch there.  I saw the first part of the video, up to the part where they put their coats on.  Then it went black when Jake was describing the fire.  I just thought it was intentional as my imagination of the tragedy was certainly vivid enough.

There was a second part where they were getting in the car and such. The last 30 seconds or so are black.
If you haven’t seen the complete thing yet, look here.

The truth can’t hurt you, it’s just like the dark: it scares you witless but in time you see things clear and stark. - Elvis Costello
Maybe this time I can be strong, but since I know who I am, I’m probably wrong. Maybe this time I can go far, but thinking about where I’ve been ain’t helping me start. - Michael Kiwanuka

Joined 2004-01-05

PM

Finished the chapter. That was… unexpected. A really gut-wrenching moment in mostly funny game. I think this has been favorite chapter so far, great puzzles, some funny dialogue playing with the mind reading stuff, great voice-acting and that revelation at the ending.

Concerning the ending at the bar again, maybe it was not a very good idea to give the time sled to the Evil Genius, even without the recipe Smile

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top