• Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums
continue reading below

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

The Black Mirror Series, who has played them?

Total Posts: 6590

Joined 2007-07-22

PM

Finally, I’ve finished The Black Mirror. Was playing it some months ago until about the half, and now got back into it and managed to finish it. Incredibly, even though I’ve played The Black Mirror 2 previously (haven’t played TBM3 yet), the main twist caught me by surprise, as I somehow forgot all the details mentioned in the second part. I would still advise to newcomers to play them in order, especially if you’re planning on playing them in the short time span.

I couldn’t really compare TBM and TBM2 as they differ in style and authors, but TBM is slightly more “rounded” and better produced, despite all the “plot holes” or “ending” that had been discussed many times before.

There’re several things I especially liked about the game - the “medieval”, or gothic atmosphere in modern age, and all the little things about the history you’re revealing gradually. Then, the castle itself and its secrets which are quite reminiscent of the mystery in “Phantasmagoria”. Interestingly, opposite to many critics I’ve found voice overs enjoyable overall, and I definitely think Samuel’s voice is one of the best voices I’ve heard in an adventure. You could argue many things, but not the fact that the actor did the job with full commitment to it.

As for puzzles, they’re sort of a mixed bag - some, like riddles on altars, couple of mini-games and the usual inventory fare are very well done, but there’re also bunch of mundane tasks and fetch quests. Couple of them really test the common sense logic, and are obvious only after you’re done with them (boots anyone?).

But it’s definitely a very good game, one of those where you can name many slight annoyances, but can’t deny its atmosphere. But my biggest gripe is that after the beginning and first part which pulls you in quickly, it somehow loses the pace in the second part. The mystery is still there, but with too many backtracking, and side-characters are not fully developed (actually, I’ve learned more about William or Gordon ancestors than any of the locals). As for the twist and ending - I’m not the biggest fan, but it didn’t really spoil the entire game for me, as well. Also, I think there’re many ways to interpret things and killings. For one, I’m positive it wasn’t Sam who killed William. Robert?

Recently finished: Four Last Things 4/5, Edna & Harvey: The Breakout 5/5, Chains of Satinav 3,95/5, A Vampyre Story 88, Sam Peters 3/5, Broken Sword 1 4,5/5, Broken Sword 2 4,3/5, Broken Sword 3 85, Broken Sword 5 81, Gray Matter 4/5\nCurrently playing: Broken Sword 4, Keepsake (Let\‘s Play), Callahan\‘s Crosstime Saloon (post-Community Playthrough)\nLooking forward to: A Playwright’s Tale

Total Posts: 10

Joined 2003-09-15

PM

Part 1) 4/10
Part 2) 9/10
Part 3) 8/10

Total Posts: 57

Joined 2009-01-02

PM

I have finished the first one and played only part of the second (liked it until I got back to the mansion, surprisingly)... So all I can really say is BM1 was good (1st one was created by Czech studio, other 2 were created by guys in Germany, which is interesting, but I am pretty sure everyone here knows that), imho. As to abrupt or generally poor endings, it seems to be common for adventure games (I cannot really talk about other genres). In BM1 you could have guessed the ending / who is the killer soon enough, but still it was not the poorest ending ever. (Has there been any poll about the stupidest/worst ending ever?) I do not know how the trilogy is closed, but I have to say it is a shame to “kill” any series of games with abrupt or stupid ending. I guess it is difficult to create clever ending, but creators should take care about this more. It sometimes feel like they had all these ideas and in the end there were none left. OK, I am just blabbering, good night everybody Smile

Total Posts: 513

Joined 2005-07-07

PM

Owskie - 11 October 2012 05:18 PM

Part 1) 4/10
Part 2) 9/10
Part 3) 8/10

No.Smile

Part 1: 8/10
Part 2: 5/10
Part 3: 4/10

Total Posts: 27

Joined 2010-10-14

PM

BM1 was my favorite game in the series. It has so many moments of mystery in it. I just wanted to discover more and more.
I liked BM2, although it was less interesting to me - especially from the middle of the game to the ending.
BM3 was the one I hated the most, beacuse the mystery is over in some point and it became a little boring to me.

Total Posts: 1289

Joined 2012-07-15

PM

I’ve been staying clear of the Black Mirror games for quite a while, as I’m not really into horror games (I don’t really know why, as I tend to love horror movies), but after hearing a lot of good things about the series here on the forum, I decided to give them a chance and I just finished the first Black Mirror. I found it overall to be a quite decent game, and it’s not really horror at all, is it?

Pros: Very detailed, good looking backgrounds. Good story, easy to become immersed. Very decent game length, lots and lots of locations to explore and characters to talk to and many puzzles (allthough of varying degree of quality). Dark and gritty atmosphere, believable small village feel. Good, creepy music. Some good voice actors. Interesting story twist (though I’d somewhat foreseen it).

Cons: There are no responses to most inventory to hotspot combinations. Incredibly robotic and choppy animation of the NPC’s and cutscenes. Once you’ve finished talking to an NPC, all conversation topics will be disabled, even if they just gave you vital information about what to do next, so if you weren’t paying attention, there’s no way to have the NPC repeat the important information, Samuel will just say something along the lines of “we have said everything to each other allready”. Possibly the most bland and uncharismatic protagonist I’ve experienced in a while. At rare occasion, right clicking a hotspot will trigger an important action, but for most of the game, right clicking hotspots gives no response at all. There are occasions where you will be stuck with nothing to do, f.ex, you can’t progress the story until a character provides you with certain information, but he needs to look it up first. So you must wait. Nothing you do will progress the story, until said character is ready. Alt-tabbing while waiting doesn’t work either, because it pauses the game. Simply waiting for the game to allow me to progress is not entertaining. There were several accounts of this type of scenario during the game, probably added to give a realistic touch, but for me this was perceived as an annoying design flaw. Silly ending.

How do my cons (and pro’s for that matter) compare to the second and third game? Are any of them improved/changed upon, or do they play the same?

Duckman: Can you believe it? Five hundred bucks for a parking ticket?
Cornfed Pig: You parked in a handicapped zone.
Duckman: Who cares? Nobody parks there anyway, except for the people who are supposed to park there and, hell, I can outrun them anytime.

Total Posts: 118

Joined 2011-08-01

PM

Black Mirror II and III are much better than the original, with vastly improved animations and a much more interesting and likeable protagonist. A lot of players liked the gameplay and story of the sequels better too. The basic interface and format is the same, but the sequels were also made by a different developer.

Total Posts: 6590

Joined 2007-07-22

PM

Dag - 10 February 2014 01:57 AM

How do my cons (and pro’s for that matter) compare to the second and third game? Are any of them improved/changed upon, or do they play the same?

Black Mirror 1 on one side, and Black Mirror 2/3 on the other, are differently styled, as they were made by two different companies. Black Mirror 2 is, along with The Whispered World, the best adventure of 2010. even though it doesn’t rise to its full potential, both in the small coastal town and the castle (I don’t know about the third one).

The Black Mirror 1 is, I’d say, even more “horror” than BM2 - BM2 feels more like a David Lynch movie, though it does try some “survival horror” bits near the end, but unsuccessful IMO.

Recently finished: Four Last Things 4/5, Edna & Harvey: The Breakout 5/5, Chains of Satinav 3,95/5, A Vampyre Story 88, Sam Peters 3/5, Broken Sword 1 4,5/5, Broken Sword 2 4,3/5, Broken Sword 3 85, Broken Sword 5 81, Gray Matter 4/5\nCurrently playing: Broken Sword 4, Keepsake (Let\‘s Play), Callahan\‘s Crosstime Saloon (post-Community Playthrough)\nLooking forward to: A Playwright’s Tale

Total Posts: 3200

Joined 2007-01-04

PM

One of the very best series in adventure gaming. My fav is the second one. I recommend playing them in order as well.

Heart

I enjoy playing adventure games on my Alienware M17 r4 and my Nintendo Switch OLED.

Total Posts: 7109

Joined 2005-09-29

PM

faceless42001 - 27 May 2012 04:29 AM

The dark, gritty moody atmosphere was one of my favorite things about the first game Smile

Plus I’ve never played a game where you are an upper class noble. You’re usually just “some kid”, a completely uninspired character just so people feel a connection with the main character.

This, hated 2nd and 3rd, cant play for long so bad, BM1 nailed the atmosphere,
that Manor’s creepy, brooding feels…them feels Smile

Total Posts: 3933

Joined 2011-03-14

PM

Adventure Games Forever - 10 February 2014 05:48 AM

Black Mirror II and III are much better than the original, with vastly improved animations and a much more interesting and likeable protagonist.

Interesting perhaps, but I wouldn’t call him likeable, in fact he is a bit of a brat. I guess that this is one of the trademarks of the BM series, that the protagonists aren’t really likeable, that and some story twists that you will see coming long before the protagonists does.

I have never actually completed BM1 because of a technical error in the distribution, but I have played BM2&3 and greatly enjoyed them, and based on your pro/con list I would say that you would also like them much more than BM1. The things on your pro list is still true for the sequels, but your description on the con side doesn’t correspond with my recollection of BM2&3.

And I agree with

diego - 10 February 2014 06:02 AM

BM2 feels more like a David Lynch movie…

Which is a good thing imo.

You have to play the game, to find out why you are playing the game! - eXistenZ

Total Posts: 8720

Joined 2012-01-02

PM

I think BM2 weakest point is the 1st two chapters which are also why people like it more than the third the game gets much better after ,its strange I know ,but I think its about the setting of Biddeford country side that attracts the players more ,plus the variation as BM3 all happens at Willow Creek the same as BM1 but for me it explodes many good feelings to watch the same and expanded locations of the 1st part.

Total Posts: 15

Joined 2013-08-26

PM

Adventure Games Forever - 10 February 2014 05:48 AM

Black Mirror II and III are much better than the original,

LOL.

with vastly improved animations

Yup, that’s why I mostly play adventure games, to watch animations.

and a much more interesting and likeable protagonist.

L/O/L

Seriously, there clearly are two classes of players. I belong to the first one, as I find the first game exceptional,a gem, while the two sequels are not worth playing, IMHO.

[As noted several times, the sequels were created by other company than Black Mirror, so they can as well be a completely different game(s).]

I like the character of Samuel Gordon, as he is very unemotional and silent. The annoying brat from 2&3 really got on my nerves. As did the other characters from these games.

I believe part of the charm of BM is that almost all the characters are old and ‘bland’, for lack of a better word. This fits with the overall atmosphere of the game, where everything is old, dusty and abandoned.

The cast in 2&3 is a standard adventure fare - an adolescent hero, several young women…if I wanted to be annyoed by emotional outbursts and wisecracks, I can play any other adventure game.

The charm of BM to me is its distinct non-modernity; of the environment, of the characters, even of the story.

For those who are like me, 2&3 completely ruins this charm. They are standard modern adventure games, nothing more.

Total Posts: 127

Joined 2004-08-03

PM

BM1 was nice.

BM2 started off slow and was simple but the second half was superb. The storyline and characters really improved as things went on.

BM3 was a disaster in my eye. It lost all of it’s charm and attention to the characters and went straight into pure demonism. One of the mini games is simply impossible to do without a very detailed walkthrough unless you want to die and start over hundreds of times and drop many hours into it.

YouTube: Weird Gaming Adventure
IG: weird_gaming_adventure

Total Posts: 1289

Joined 2012-07-15

PM

Thanks for your answers guys. Hehe, the opinions on this matter is really divided. Which is the better BM seem differ from person to person, which can only mean there’s something good and bad about all of them. From what I’ve gathered from the comments, it seems some of the issues I had with the original is dealt with in the sequels, and I’ve decided to buy the second game aswell, and see where that takes me Smile

Duckman: Can you believe it? Five hundred bucks for a parking ticket?
Cornfed Pig: You parked in a handicapped zone.
Duckman: Who cares? Nobody parks there anyway, except for the people who are supposed to park there and, hell, I can outrun them anytime.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top