• Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums
continue reading below

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Mystery Game X - Gabriel Knight: Sins of the Fathers, 20th Anniversary Edition

Total Posts: 619

Joined 2012-06-06

PM

Dean Erickson’s Gabriel Knight was Metrosexual before it was cool.

Bt

Total Posts: 8720

Joined 2012-01-02

PM

an extensive German voice cast made for The Moment of Silence ,which included the German voice actors for Bruce Willis and Julia Roberts and didn’t do the game any good or better.

get a grip adventurers .. go watch a movie or something.

Total Posts: 189

Joined 2010-06-26

PM

This remake I agree, is unnecessary as I’m not sure they can beat the original. However there are a few things I hope they do that will definitely improve from the original.

1. simplify actions (1 click for everything)

2. Good character animation! The original actually had nice animations considering the pixelated characters. I have seen gameplay from moebius however and I’m fairly confident this game will follow suit.

3. Great voice acting. This was a major selling point for the original as the cast was brilliant and I think we all know the voice acting isn’t going to be as good. However, as long as Gabriel and grace are good i’ll be happy.

4. Background art! I still love the retro backgrounds of the original. I’ve had a look at the new ones… still not completely convinced as I’ve not seen them during gameplay yet but I think what will do them justice is if they make the backgrounds seem alive! Atmosphere, and things going on. Weather, fog, lighting, water effects etc etc

Reading peoples comments; yeah Dean Erickson back as GK would be nice and familiar. I also really liked the spunky voices of grace in GK1 and 3 so I hope they dont stray too far from those kind of voice actors.

I also really like the Gunther Ritter story being played in-game!

Total Posts: 13

Joined 2013-09-27

PM

Stuart - 09 October 2013 08:36 AM

Is the budget there to have voice acting as great as the original? Or will we get the wooden, generic voices that are so typical in AGs these days? I love the idea and pre-ordered MGX as part of my pledge, just hope it works out well. The graphics look beautiful. Smile

I don’t understand why good voice acting would require an enormous budget. After all, there are colleges all over the place with theater groups and drama programs full of kids who would give 110% effort just for the chance at getting something tangible to put on their resumes, and would work for peanuts.

Technology has made audio recording unbelievably simple and cheap to do. A decent microphone and a laptop loaded with audio software make one heck of a portable studio these days; there’s no longer a need to book studio time.

So in my opinion, there is no excuse for poor voice acting in games, no matter how small the budget may be. Sure, you won’t get ‘name’ actors, but known actors are no guarantee of quality anyway. While Discworld’s success may have depended largely on Eric Idle’s presence, Lucasarts did pretty well with the ‘nobody’ Dominic Armato.

Total Posts: 5053

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

Lambonius - 09 October 2013 12:04 PM

The original Gabriel Knight had great voice acting?  That’s news to me.

I agree. Tim Curry was at the end of a dubious movie career. In the same era he also voiced the horrible Frankenstein game. Mark Hammil is a Meh! I have no idea why people think this voice ensemble is a standard to which others should be held. I would welcome new actors.

But I also would have preferred a remake of GK3. It would seem that Activision is releasing its IP for remakes without regard to popular demand. Similar to the remake of LSL1.

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

Total Posts: 2653

Joined 2013-03-14

PM

rtrooney - 09 October 2013 10:21 PM

But I also would have preferred a remake of GK3. It would seem that Activision is releasing its IP for remakes without regard to popular demand. Similar to the remake of LSL1.

Activision is clearly testing the waters with this. They have a load of old SIerra IP’s and they are not sure what they should do with them. If this one does well I suspect it might give Activision a much needed push to start doing things with those IP’s they’re been sitting on.

Total Posts: 880

Joined 2010-02-15

PM

I REALLY hope Dean Erickson doesn’t voice Gabriel. His voice was the most disappointing part of Gabriel Knight 2. Thats why I was ecstatic over the revisit from Tim Curry in GK3…wait why wouldn’t Jane bring back Tim? Its not like he’s dead or anything.

Stuart Bradley Newsom - Naughty Shinobi || Our Game: Shadow Over Isolation

Joined 2013-03-14

PM

I bet Tim is much more expensive these days. Like Jane said on one interview, back in the day they got a pretty good deal on the salaries because professional voice acting was such a new thing when GK1 was released.

Total Posts: 932

Joined 2004-03-23

PM

Someone also said that Curry is pretty much retired from acting and recently had a stroke or such.

rtrooney - 09 October 2013 10:21 PM

It would’ve been a huge project to remake GK3, at least compared to remaking GK1. Well, maybe they could’ve used more of the original material instead of building it all from scratch (though probably would’ve had to in amny parts), but still I doubt PO would’ve had the resources for such a project. The 3D engine, much more things going on, etc.

And there’d be no sense in a GK3 remake without the 3D engine.

Of course, it’d in some ways also be a weird thing to “refresh” a very story-driven series from its third part.

And there is demand for a GK1 remake. Although most here talk about how the graphics are great, I’ve read in many other places that they haven’t either tried or been able to play the game in large part due to the old pixel graphics.

Total Posts: 8998

Joined 2004-01-05

PM

Tim Curry had a stroke in 2012 but I think he is still doing voice work:

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0000347/?ref_=fn_al_nm_1

Total Posts: 1350

Joined 2009-04-28

PM

On the voice acting thing, I can see it is subjective to a point and that some people don’t like it (even if I am at a loss to understand that point of view). However, the Gabriel I met and loved so much in GK1 was voiced by Tim Curry and that is how I think of him. Dean Erickson in GK2 was an imposter and, to be honest, a poor replacement. Even if Tim Curry went a bit over the top in GK3 it was still (to my mind) the actual voice of Gabriel and that was great.

Changing to another actor changes the character itself and this is painfully obvious from GK2 where Gabriel becomes bland, uninteresting and weak. Von Glower is a fascinating character (and well portrayed despite some apparent opinions to the contrary) and in the game he becomes fascinated in turn with Gabriel, but seriously why? There was nothing fascinating about the Gabriel in GK2.

The character of Gabriel is one of the things that makes the game so great and Deano in GK2 is proof that you need the right man for the job or you lose something.[/personal opinion]

3.5 time winner of the “Really Annoying Caption Contest Saboteur” Award!

Joined 2013-03-14

PM

DaveyB - 09 October 2013 05:53 PM

Anyone who doesn’t think Peter Lucas as Friedrich von Glower wasn’t excellent in GK2 clearly doesn’t deserve to comment about adventure games. Ever.

If only they had cast Peter Lucas as Gabriel. Not only he had looks, but he was the best actor in the game.

Total Posts: 127

Joined 2004-08-03

PM

I may be the only guy that doesn’t like Curry’s voice in these games. It’s too unique and well known. On top of that, his voice kind of annoys me.

YouTube: Weird Gaming Adventure
IG: weird_gaming_adventure

Total Posts: 1235

Joined 2013-03-31

PM

Captain Blondebeard - 10 October 2013 01:01 PM

I may be the only guy that doesn’t like Curry’s voice in these games. It’s too unique and well known. On top of that, his voice kind of annoys me.

You’re not the only one!

Total Posts: 506

Joined 2003-09-10

PM

Intense Degree - 10 October 2013 04:52 AM

Changing to another actor changes the character itself

Does it really? There was so much angst when Telltale started working on Sam & Max with new voice actors and, very quickly, those actors *became* Sam and Max…

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top