• Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums
continue reading below

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Mystery Game X - Gabriel Knight: Sins of the Fathers, 20th Anniversary Edition

Total Posts: 736

Joined 2013-08-15

PM

theo - 17 October 2014 07:34 AM
diego - 17 October 2014 07:26 AM

However, I’m not playing the game where correct dialog choices are highlighted, if there’s no option to turn it off. It’s the opposite of everything I love about adventure games.

Dude, do you remember how horrendously stupid it was in the original when you had to click through every single line over and over and over and over again just in case this time around it might lead somewhere? It was an immersion-break-a-thon beyond reason.

I haven’t tried the new version yet, but I say kudos to pos for trying to do something about that old stupid system. (if that’s what it is).

Why at all should I then pay and play the game, when I can just watch the playthrough and have the same experience??

At the end why should we root for GK4 to be made by POS just for sake of it, so it could leave a black strain on the whole series and then we should pretend it never existed, like Indiana Jones 4 or Batman & Robin?

Total Posts: 3933

Joined 2011-03-14

PM

@cesarbittar
I can understand your frustrations and reasons for writing your post, and I must say that I sometimes also find that there is way too much negativity here in this forum. And as for all the flack and negativity aimed directly at POS, well that is something that I have never understood and probably never will understand.

Having said that then I also have to add that each game should of course be judged on its own merit, and had the game been a terrible remake of the original or simply a bad game, then I would be the first to criticize it - but it isn’t! I will reserve my final judgement until I have finished it, but so far it seems like it is actually a worthy remake of the original and a good game in its own right.

Which brings me to my main point, and that is that much of this negativity and criticism comes from people that haven’t actually played the game yet or perhaps aren’t even planning on playing it, which in my opinion is simply unfair Pan

If you have played a game and you didn’t like it, fair enough, fell free to criticize it and post your honest opinion, but start tearing down and overwhelming a game with negative comments long before it has even been released, basing your judgement purely on what you think it will be like, or nitpicking on some details that have been revealed about the game, that is something that I simply can’t take seriously.

You have to play the game, to find out why you are playing the game! - eXistenZ

Total Posts: 189

Joined 2010-06-26

PM

Also bare in mind, a lot of people criticised Broken Age! LOL

Total Posts: 600

Joined 2011-06-07

PM

Lambonius - 17 October 2014 05:03 AM

Are there really many recent adventure games that require a AAA budget to pull off?  I mean, in terms of realizing a concept?  I honestly can’t think of any where I have ever been like, “Because of this game’s lack of budget, it is an abject failure at what it tried to do.”  Sure there are things that could have better given larger budgets, but full-on failures?  All of these games have been very playable, even the flawed ones.

I was referring to Cesar’s quote that Dreamfall had 2 million USD budget and therefore can make things more polished.
Apparantly you need at least that kind of money to pull off a more dynamic 3D game. What I’ve seen sofar from Dreamfall, though nowhere near AAA, this is the minimum you need in you want to go in that more dynamic 3D direction.

Total Posts: 6

Joined 2004-03-05

PM

What do people have to gain by throwing remarks about games they haven’t played on the forum? If they want to reach the developper, hoping that they would take these remarks into account the next time they make a game, I think it’s fair.

But when you know that the developper is working with limited resources trying to make the best of the game they could, where I think they definitely succeeded, trying to reach a new audience to make even better games in the future, I definitely understand that the developper is getting frustrated about this kind of remarks and the negativism.

So what would you want POS to do: produce a game that they cannot finance and go bust or get the most out of the genre where possible. Would you want them NOT to produce a game that many people thoroughly enjoy, because you don’t belong to that group?

Again, I played the beta version and thought it was great, even refreshing and got most things right. Just play the game and enjoy.

Joined 2011-03-14

PM

diego - 17 October 2014 07:26 AM

However, I’m not playing the game where correct dialog choices are highlighted, if there’s no option to turn it off. It’s the opposite of everything I love about adventure games. What’s next? There will be no need for dialog choices, you’ll just click on a character and they’ll speak? (actually, this would be a better option). Or, there will be no need to interact with other characters and bother players at all, characters will just telepathically understand each other?

That also struck me as a bit odd, and I agree there should have been an option to turn it off, but in all fairness, there is a very high amount of dialogue in the game, and having 30 different topics being thrown in your face can be a bit overwhelming. Personally I’m a bit of a completionist so I go through all the dialogue in whatever order I chose regardless of those hints, but I suspect that this would actually be a relief for many.

Total Posts: 182

Joined 2012-01-08

PM

To be honest, I don’t think people who already played the original are the main target audience, here. Some might like it anyway, of course, and underneath it still seems to be the same game, mostly, and perhaps more importantly the same story.
But for me personally this newer, low budget version simply doesn’t make sense and the visuals alone are enough to keep me away from it and - as strange as that may sound - they irk me as a fan of the original.
I don’t see why I should buy it just to support “adventures” as a whole. I also strongly suspect that a GK4 getting made because of this remake won’t be a GK4 that I like. Publishers won’t suddenly start to hand out millions of $ if they see that adventure fans are satisfied with low budget quality.
I don’t claim to know the reasons behind the decisions that where made concerning the graphics. Some might be caused by the low budget, some already made in advance and some like the improved comic cut scenes seem actually pretty smart. Many seem poor, though, and the people who are responsible for them should no be allowed to do so again, and be it Jane herself.
That said, I do think that a remake of a finished game design like this should not be a huge problem if the right decisions are made, even on a tight budget.

Total Posts: 363

Joined 2012-09-20

PM

Iznogood - 17 October 2014 07:50 AM

@cesarbittar
I can understand your frustrations and reasons for writing your post, and I must say that I sometimes also find that there is way too much negativity here in this forum. And as for all the flack and negativity aimed directly at POS, well that is something that I have never understood and probably never will understand.

Having said that then I also have to add that each game should of course be judged on its own merit, and had the game been a terrible remake of the original or simply a bad game, then I would be the first to criticize it - but it isn’t! I will reserve my final judgement until I have finished it, but so far it seems like it is actually a worthy remake of the original and a good game in its own right.

Which brings me to my main point, and that is that much of this negativity and criticism comes from people that haven’t actually played the game yet or perhaps aren’t even planning on playing it, which in my opinion is simply unfair Pan

If you have played a game and you didn’t like it, fair enough, fell free to criticize it and post your honest opinion, but start tearing down and overwhelming a game with negative comments long before it has even been released, basing your judgement purely on what you think it will be like, or nitpicking on some details that have been revealed about the game, that is something that I simply can’t take seriously.

Iznogood words are mine on this. And I don’t really understand why a highlighted dialog should be that much to put someone out of the game. I click/read all dialogs anyway. And Cesar Bittar: the remake is good, very well done and I am enjoying it very much.

Total Posts: 2653

Joined 2013-03-14

PM

I actually do like the highlighted dialogue option, as there’s so much of it in GK.

Total Posts: 1368

Joined 2012-09-28

PM

Iznogood - 17 October 2014 07:50 AM

You often talk sense Iznogood but here, i’m sorry, you’re talking nonsense. We can SEE the portraits of the game. Why should we have to pay $30 and play it to make a judgement? We can SEE the dialogue system, again, why do we need to play? Makes no sense at all. It’s like seeing a leaky boat with holes in it and saying “no thanks” to a cruise, and the captain telling you “don’t knock it before you try!”.

But how about this? Next time you come across a snake-oil salesman you let me know, and I’ll remind you that you need to buy it and find out if it works! Ok?

Joined 2011-03-14

PM

Zifnab - 17 October 2014 08:32 AM

You often talk sense Iznogood but here, i’m sorry, you’re talking nonsense. We can SEE the portraits of the game. Why should we have to pay $30 and play it to make a judgement? We can SEE the dialogue system, again, why do we need to play? Makes no sense at all. It’s like seeing a leaky boat with holes in it and saying “no thanks” to a cruise, and the captain telling you “don’t knock it before you try!”.

I think you are missing my point.
You don’t want to play the game because of the character portraits or the dialogue system - Fine, don’t buy and play the game! We all have to decide which games to buy based on whether we think we will enjoy it or not.

But you won’t actually know what a game is like unless you play it, so writing post after post criticizing it will only serve to overwhelm the game with negativity, which is unfair imo.

Edit: Rephrased the last line.

Total Posts: 7109

Joined 2005-09-29

PM

tomimt - 17 October 2014 03:52 AM
cesarbittar - 17 October 2014 02:35 AM

they are not industry veterans but really passionate kids that are learning every step of the way.

And here’s the crux of your problem, which was also evident with Moebius. Your team, while enthustiastic, just plain lacks the skillsets to do the games they want to do. In other words, your team is doing entirely wrong games in the skill levele they are now. This kind of tuning of skills should be done with projects that are far smaller in scale as now it is a bit too obvious that these two big projects have been way too above your heads.

People really don’t care that you, or anyone in your team, are enthustiastic adventure fans. In the end what people care is a product that looks like it was done by people who know what they’re doing, even if they really would’t.

We could talk a lot about how it is unfair, as I know it is. But at the same time people have done far better games than you’ve done with much smaller budgets mainly because they’ve had the right people doing the right things. That also counts for a lot.

I don’t want to be overly negative though, as it is evident that your team is getting more skilled by the each game they do. And that is a good thing. It’s just pains me a bit that has happened in the expense of Jane Jensen.

QFT!

For casestudy see what happened with Silenthill, wellknown franchise, brainchild of some true craftsmen. Devs Disbanded and then outsourced.

Got lots of hate and bad sales. Fans were raging for proper treatment.

Even though Shatteredmemories and Downpour were something i loved , but the fans demanded and expected more from the revered franchise.

Going by your mindset, Homecoming, Downpour Devs were also huge fans, they were passionate and all that still it DIDN’T work. It was not step above.
Psy horror down the toilet.

And then Kojima got in with big names and made P.T, not having same members, not the same artdirection, not same music/OST.

NOT THE SAME BUDGET of Downpour or Homecoming.

So what makes the difference, atleast replace the old skillset with some challenging skillset.

Game making is Art , its not as easy as making burgers at McDonalds.

I would love to support AGs in state like this but have to make sure that it doesn’t become my OCD.

Edit:

Googled “Sims4 Blonde Man” and got this,

I hope it proves my point.

Total Posts: 5837

Joined 2012-03-24

PM

Hi cesarbittar, I forgot to mention in my last post that there are too many fans of other genres that post their criticism & expectations of an AG here based on their penchant for & experience of higher budget non pure AG games - please just disregard them!

Total Posts: 182

Joined 2012-01-08

PM

chrissie - 17 October 2014 10:16 AM

Hi cesarbittar, I forgot to mention in my last post that there are too many fans of other genres that post their criticism & expectations of an AG here based on their penchant for & experience of higher budget non pure AG games - please just disregard them!

Sorry, but I don’t think this kind of attitude is helpful at all.

Total Posts: 513

Joined 2005-07-07

PM

Niclas - 16 October 2014 04:37 PM

Remake of gk3 would be awesome, since that game has not aged that well.

Boy, do we have different views on both those points…  Here’s hoping there will never ever be an attempt to remake GK3. It’s perfect, despite and/or because its design flaws and somewhat dated graphics.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top