• Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums
continue reading below

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

apignarbJdawg445

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

King’s Quest announced (Re-imagined by The Odd Gentlemen) 

Total Posts: 8471

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

Lambonius - 12 December 2014 12:20 AM

I’d also like to see them tie each episode together with an overarching narrative that exists in the “present day,” outside of Graham’s memories.

It would make a lot of sense for this to be the framework for each episode: “old” King Graham recounting the tales from his adventure days to his grandchildren.
It could work as Graham’s swan song, and as a means to pass the torch for future seasons.

There is a lot of potential in this game, and with the different stages of King Graham’s life coming into focus one at a time, the episodic model even makes sense for them, so it could work…

I want to learn the status of Daventry NOW, in the game’s present, not just relive Graham’s memories (though I want to do that, too.)

I think that’s going to be something for the final episode and/or further games/seasons…

The truth can’t hurt you, it’s just like the dark: it scares you witless but in time you see things clear and stark. - Elvis Costello
Maybe this time I can be strong, but since I know who I am, I’m probably wrong. Maybe this time I can go far, but thinking about where I’ve been ain’t helping me start. - Michael Kiwanuka

Total Posts: 6590

Joined 2007-07-22

PM

Recently finished: Four Last Things 4/5, Edna & Harvey: The Breakout 5/5, Chains of Satinav 3,95/5, A Vampyre Story 88, Sam Peters 3/5, Broken Sword 1 4,5/5, Broken Sword 2 4,3/5, Broken Sword 3 85, Broken Sword 5 81, Gray Matter 4/5\nCurrently playing: Broken Sword 4, Keepsake (Let\‘s Play), Callahan\‘s Crosstime Saloon (post-Community Playthrough)\nLooking forward to: A Playwright’s Tale

Total Posts: 8998

Joined 2004-01-05

PM

Nice find.

“Gwendolyn (daughter of ALexander and Cassima) has signed for a fencing tournament with her cousin Gart (son of Rosella and Edgar)”

All is explained!

Edit: So seems like the teaser trailer mas mostly from a small intro of the game on how Graham got the magic mirror. Most of the episode is set in a more open forent area with inventory and diferent puzzle solutions.

I like the premise of Graham telling his stories to help Gwendolyn.

Total Posts: 1235

Joined 2013-03-31

PM

It still sounds an awful lot like it’s going to be a “choose the correct hotspot out of the three or four available in each area” adventure game.  The article says very little about interactivity or linearity.  The openness of the environment means little if nothing in it can be manipulated or examined.

And of course, it’s still going to be episodic, which means we’ll be paying to play little bits and pieces of the game at a time, rather than a longer more fleshed out adventure.  The article reads a lot like damage control for the poor reception of the reveal trailer among the adventure game community.

Total Posts: 345

Joined 2012-04-04

PM

Gotta be honest, that article did its job on me.

The stuff on inventory I’m most pleased to hear about.

Joined 2013-03-31

PM

Yes, that part and the mention of multiple puzzle solutions was very heartening.  I just can’t get over my skepticism.  I absolutely hope that my reservations are proven completely wrong and that this game proves that intelligent and thoughtful (as in, you have to actually use your brain to solve them) adventure games can still work in the modern gaming market.

Also, that concept art is really damn beautiful.  Wink

Total Posts: 345

Joined 2012-04-04

PM

I liked them distancing themselves a bit from Telltales stuff…saying choices that have consequences will be made during gameplay rather than dialogue.

If anyone hasn’t seen it, here’s Q&A with Ken, some of which is used in the above article:

http://www.gameinformer.com/b/features/archive/2015/01/02/ken-williams-interview-kings-quest-sierra-game-informer.aspx

I suspect the game may not be as complicated/complex as some would like, but hopefully it’s not as simple as some may fear either.

Rather keen for this now. Not sure about the episodic thing, though I think it fits better here than on something like Life is Strange or Dreamfall. I just worry if the first ep doesn’t sell well on these things, will they get finished?

Total Posts: 990

Joined 2009-05-08

PM

There are some good signs…

Multiple solutions to one puzzle or situation. This is usually frowned upon because people will always end up picking the easiest solution but it adds a layer of complexity for players who want to challenge themselves as well as encouraging replays. I’d like to see one of these games go one step further and include difficult puzzles that are completely optional but add a layer to the storytelling.

An inventory system. How anyone could eliminate the inventory system in the age of hoarding is beyond me. I’m glad it’s there.

Choice through action, not dialogue. Also good is that it won’t be a bunch of bad decisions that are futile because the game is just going to kill everyone off anyway or that you have to choose between a bad Graham or a good Graham. The choices seem like they will determine whether you like to think with your head, your fists or your heart and add nuance to a character that is already well defined.

Ultimately, some questions remain. How much autonomy is the player given? The article mentions Graham firing off an arrow… Do you aim and shoot the arrow yourself or are you given a list of options to choose from?

Total Posts: 6590

Joined 2007-07-22

PM

It’s not much (actually it sucks) but seeing sierra.com and King’s Quest on the same official page has a special magic:

http://www.sierra.com/kingsquest

Recently finished: Four Last Things 4/5, Edna & Harvey: The Breakout 5/5, Chains of Satinav 3,95/5, A Vampyre Story 88, Sam Peters 3/5, Broken Sword 1 4,5/5, Broken Sword 2 4,3/5, Broken Sword 3 85, Broken Sword 5 81, Gray Matter 4/5\nCurrently playing: Broken Sword 4, Keepsake (Let\‘s Play), Callahan\‘s Crosstime Saloon (post-Community Playthrough)\nLooking forward to: A Playwright’s Tale

Joined 2004-01-05

PM

http://www.sierra.com/spacequest - “Page not found” Frown - maybe someday

Oh, I didn’t know a new IP was being published through the Sierra label - Shiflings (a puzzle platformer)

Joined 2004-01-05

PM

Total Posts: 2653

Joined 2013-03-14

PM

That preview does sound very promising. I know there will be people crying about the direction they’re going, but this preview made me actually exited about this new KQ game.

Joined 2013-03-31

PM

Context sensitive single button for interacting with the world =/= more complex and deep puzzles.  There is simply no way that statement can be true.

Other than that, the game is looking pretty interesting.

Total Posts: 7109

Joined 2005-09-29

PM

wilco - 05 March 2015 01:30 PM

http://www.polygon.com/2015/3/5/8151879/kings-quest-revival-preview-charm-whimsy-classic-odd-gentlemen

New positive preview. Not a lot of new stuff

I guess lots of naysayers would eventually have to begrudgingly eat crow.

Cannot wait.

Total Posts: 506

Joined 2003-09-10

PM

I’m at GDC and I saw the game this morning. I’ll be writing up a preview but until then my early impressions are very good. I like the idea of old Graham telling stories to Gwendolyn, Princess Bride style, and the gameplay seems so far like a good mix of classic KQ elements and modernized UI/controls. Definitely *not* a platformer. Matt Korba, who showed me the game, seems like a big KQ fan.

Btw - Gwendolyn is Alexander and Cassima’s daughter, visiting Daventry from the Green Isles. Smile

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top