• Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums
continue reading below

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

[Archived] Time for a new community playthrough?

Total Posts: 7446

Joined 2013-08-26

PM

rtrooney - 25 February 2014 08:50 PM
Karlok - 25 February 2014 08:31 PM

Freddy runs fine in DOSbox. Smile

That’s not the problem. If you have Freddy on floppies and your PC doesn’t have floppy input capability…that’s the problem.

Buy the CD version and be rewarded with the wonderful voiceacting that is not on the floppies!

Butter my buns and call me a biscuit! - Agent A

Total Posts: 5053

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

You have totally missed the point. See Chrissie’s post above re: Secrets of Da Vinci. We are not interested in rebuying a game we already own.

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

Total Posts: 6590

Joined 2007-07-22

PM

Karlok - 25 February 2014 09:35 PM

Buy the CD version and be rewarded with the wonderful voiceacting that is not on the floppies!

Not to mention the intro with singing!

Recently finished: Four Last Things 4/5, Edna & Harvey: The Breakout 5/5, Chains of Satinav 3,95/5, A Vampyre Story 88, Sam Peters 3/5, Broken Sword 1 4,5/5, Broken Sword 2 4,3/5, Broken Sword 3 85, Broken Sword 5 81, Gray Matter 4/5\nCurrently playing: Broken Sword 4, Keepsake (Let\‘s Play), Callahan\‘s Crosstime Saloon (post-Community Playthrough)\nLooking forward to: A Playwright’s Tale

Total Posts: 5053

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

Intro with singing was there with the floppy version as well.

Shouldn’t you be more concerned with finishing your own game?

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

Joined 2007-07-22

PM

Are you sure it wasn’t karaoke, like this?

rtrooney - 25 February 2014 10:21 PM

Shouldn’t you be more concerned with finishing your own game?

Yes, Sirr! (but I’m stuck, clueless and earless Tongue)

Recently finished: Four Last Things 4/5, Edna & Harvey: The Breakout 5/5, Chains of Satinav 3,95/5, A Vampyre Story 88, Sam Peters 3/5, Broken Sword 1 4,5/5, Broken Sword 2 4,3/5, Broken Sword 3 85, Broken Sword 5 81, Gray Matter 4/5\nCurrently playing: Broken Sword 4, Keepsake (Let\‘s Play), Callahan\‘s Crosstime Saloon (post-Community Playthrough)\nLooking forward to: A Playwright’s Tale

Joined 2013-08-26

PM

rtrooney - 25 February 2014 10:15 PM

You have totally missed the point. See Chrissie’s post above re: Secrets of Da Vinci. We are not interested in rebuying a game we already own.

Personally I would certainly be interested in spending ten bucks so I could replay a game I love. You’re not, which makes me wonder why you suggested the playthrough. Fortunately, I can see several solutions to your problem.

a) Don’t play the game ever again.
b) Find a friend/nerd with a floppy drive and have him put the game on CD for you.
c) Buy the game on CD and… Oops!
d) Watch a playthrough on youtube instead.
e) The one solution where you can have your cake and eat it too. Of course I’m not suggesting anything! Really!

Total Posts: 56

Joined 2012-08-27

PM

Karlok - 25 February 2014 08:31 PM
Salar Shushan - 25 February 2014 08:21 PM

Much as I would love to play Freddy Pharkas again, I doubt I can find my surviving cd/box right now, let alone get it running again. Sure wish GoG would bring it back!

Freddy runs fine in DOSbox. Smile

Heart Thanks for the good word. I thought I used ScummV last time, but maybe I’m just mis-remembering Crazy  It’s been years… which is actually a grand reason for replaying it when I do figure out where its hiding on that shelf Wink

Total Posts: 555

Joined 2004-02-11

PM

wilco - 25 February 2014 12:53 PM

I think it’s a good time to start voting again
Mine go to:

Pandora Directive
Gray Matter
Book of Unwritten Tales
Secrets of Davinci
Phoenix Wright - I could lead this one Smile

Yes!  I’d totally be up for a Phoenix Wright playthrough.

If I remember correctly, I never finished that final bonus case.

Put me down for Gray Matter too.  I barely remember that.

Joined 2013-08-26

PM

Salar Shushan - 26 February 2014 12:59 AM

I thought I used ScummV last time,

ScummV may work fine too, I haven’t tried it to play Freddy Pharkas.

Total Posts: 3933

Joined 2011-03-14

PM

My vote goes to The Pandora Directive, and I will once again be willing to lead the playthrough.

Since PD almost but not quite won the last vote, I though it might help if I did some carefully planned discrete promoting shameless advertising for it this round. so here goes:

THE PANDORA DIRECTIVE IS A GREAT GAME!!!

Not only is it the best game in the Tex Murphy series, but it is also (at least in my humble opinion) the best FMV game that has ever been made, and one of the best adventure games of all times. Seriously, if you have never played PD before, then you are cheating yourself of a great experience, and if you have, then this CP will serve as a reminder of how great an adventure game can actually be.

PD is not only a great game, it is also a huge game. I will estimate that my last playthrough took something like 40 hours, it can of course be played faster, but no matter how fast you try to play it, there is still well over 20 hours in it.

PD is also a difficult game with many challenging but never unfair puzzles, that will guarantee to put your little gray cells to the test.
Not a fan of difficult games and afraid of getting stuck? No worries, PD has two different difficult settings allowing both players looking for challenging puzzles, and players more interested in the story to play the game. The main differences being that on Entertainment mode there is a quite good help system, all the isolated puzzles are skippable and a few puzzle only exists in Game Player mode.

PD is also a very non-linear game which is very unusual for a FMV game, not only does it allow you to do many things in parallel or in whatever order you prefer, but it also have three different paths through the game leading to eight different endings. These paths are know respectively as Mission Street, Lombard Street and Boulevard of Broken Dreams, or as I like to call them: Boyscout Tex, Tex Murphy PI and Evil Tex, and the path you take is mainly determined by the choices you make in the dialogue, but there is no “Chelsea will remember that” or red, green and blue options, in fact if you didn’t know in advance that there is these three paths, then you would probably never guess that there is alternatives.

PD also has a great variety of puzzles, perhaps the greatest variety I have ever seen in a single game. There is both traditional inventory puzzles (though not of the MacGyver type, where you have to build an an airplane out of an old lawnmower, some bamboo and plastic bags), there is quite a few isolated puzzles of different kinds, there is dialogue puzzles and there is even a maze or two, and a few stealth and timed puzzles. PD even features something as unusual as a store where you can buy stuff you need!

And if all of that wasn’t enough, then PD also has a great story with some great acting that is very suitable for the story, and a lot of hotspots with unique responses for all items. It is almost worth playing the game, just to hear Tex’s comments when you click on different paintings.

If you add the sheer length of the game, the three paths, the dialogues whereof you might only hear a third on a single playthrough, and the unique comments for the many hotspots, then the amount of video and voice recording they must have made for this game is truly remarkable.

So what else can I say to convince you? Did I mention that The Tesla Effect will soon be released, and everybody needs to replay at least one of the Tex games before playing Tesla, and what better place to do it than in the community playthrough?

If the above haven’t convinced you to vote for The Pandora Directive as the next CP, then you are either not a true adventure gamer Wink, you have already replayed it so many times that just the thought of another playthrough makes you sick (which I suppose is technically possible, though not very likely), or you suffer from 1st person game motion sickness (in which case you have a valid excuse).

You have to play the game, to find out why you are playing the game! - eXistenZ

Total Posts: 1573

Joined 2003-09-10

PM

I’d like to suggest Tony Tough and the Night of Roasted Moths, which I volunteer to lead.

For anyone who hasn’t heard of it before, it’s set in a carnival/amusement park, has cartoon-like graphics and is reminiscent of the classic LucasArts games. It’s available on Gamers Gate.

As something new (as an optional add-on for those who would be interested), I’d like to play Dreamland immediately after Tony Tough to contrast it with Tony. We could play it in that period of time when some people have finished Tony and others are catching up with the end of the game. Dreamland is a casual Hidden Object game also set in a carnival/amusement park.  Rtrooney has agreed to lead Dreamland if anyone is interested.

Of the other games that have been suggested so far, I would vote for Gray Matter, The Book of Unwritten Tales, and Secrets of Da Vinci.

I played a couple of hours of The Pandora Directive about a year ago, and found the movement to be very awkward. If there’s an alternate way to move around in the game that’s easier, I’d also be on board for Pandora.

Total Posts: 5838

Joined 2012-03-24

PM

After reading all of that Iznogood, I definitely would have been convinced to vote for the game but unfortunately I suffer from terrible 1st person motion sickness - I only got about half an hour through Under a Killing Moon before having to quit due to extreme nausea! I’m hoping The Tesla Effect will have a kinder interface!

After retrieving it from ‘my archives’ I’ve just tried The Secrets of Da Vinci on my Win 7 64 bit - it installs okay but won’t run at all in any compatibility mode! If it’s voted for I could set up my old XP (which I did for Obdidian) or I may concede to buying it from BFG as it’s more convenient & would cost far less than the 10 bucks Karlok mentioned!

I’ve just seen your post Becky - I like the idea of playing Tony Tough (if my disc version will play) followed by Dreamland for the comparison but I’m not so keen to buy Tony Tough again. I’m off to check it out…...

Joined 2007-07-22

PM

Have you tried this, chrissie? (the third post in particular)

Total Posts: 3933

Joined 2011-03-14

PM

Becky - 26 February 2014 06:39 AM

I played a couple of hours of The Pandora Directive about a year ago, and found the movement to be very awkward. If there’s an alternate way to move around in the game that’s easier, I’d also be on board for Pandora.

There is unfortunately no alternative to the controls, and I must admit that they are a bit awkward. But once you get used to them, which might take some time, then they aren’t actually that bad.

chrissie - 26 February 2014 06:59 AM

After reading all of that Iznogood, I definitely would have been convinced to vote for the game but unfortunately I suffer from terrible 1st person motion sickness.

Thanks, and I remember you have mentioned this before, which is why I added it as a valid excuse as there really isn’t anything to do about it.

You have to play the game, to find out why you are playing the game! - eXistenZ

Total Posts: 5838

Joined 2012-03-24

PM

diego - 26 February 2014 07:07 AM

Have you tried this, chrissie? (the third post in particular)

Thanks diego, the download following the Tages link worked to get the game running but the text on the start menu & subtitles in-game flash all the time & I get a slight layered effect when panning around which will give me a headache & motion sickness if I try to play it like that! I’ve tried disabling visual themes etc!

I’ve just tried Tony Tough & that won’t install at all!

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top