• Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums
continue reading below

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

rtrooneywalas74

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Place that… uh, game

Total Posts: 6590

Joined 2007-07-22

PM

gray pierce - 09 March 2013 05:29 AM

If you put both your latest answers together you pretty much have the correct game.

The Awakened vs Jack the Ripper?

Ok, ok, how about The Testament of Sherlock Holmes?

Recently finished: Four Last Things 4/5, Edna & Harvey: The Breakout 5/5, Chains of Satinav 3,95/5, A Vampyre Story 88, Sam Peters 3/5, Broken Sword 1 4,5/5, Broken Sword 2 4,3/5, Broken Sword 3 85, Broken Sword 5 81, Gray Matter 4/5\nCurrently playing: Broken Sword 4, Keepsake (Let\‘s Play), Callahan\‘s Crosstime Saloon (post-Community Playthrough)\nLooking forward to: A Playwright’s Tale

Total Posts: 4257

Joined 2005-04-14

PM

Oh and Zobraks you are a prophet. I shall start worshipping you…

You don’t have to do that: a FAT check on my name would do the trick even better.
Like in those Sai-Baba communities in The States, you know.

Everybody wants to be Cary Grant.
Even Me.

-Cary Grant

Total Posts: 38

Joined 2009-07-04

PM

diego - 09 March 2013 05:44 AM

If you put both your latest answers together you pretty much have the correct game.

Perhaps I’m wrong but I think he/she meant to combine a Sherlock Holmes game(which you suggested, albeit a wrong game from the series) with Jack the Ripper so you get =>Sherlock Holmes vs. Jack the Ripper Smile

Although how beanstalks and such things, apart from the name Jack, come into the picture remains a mistery to me. Laughing So does what TV show would it cover.

Total Posts: 532

Joined 2009-06-07

PM

Grandson - 09 March 2013 07:54 AM
diego - 09 March 2013 05:44 AM

Perhaps I’m wrong but I think he/she meant to combine a Sherlock Holmes game(which you suggested, albeit a wrong game from the series) with Jack the Ripper so you get =>Sherlock Holmes vs. Jack the Ripper Smile

Gasp Laughing  Heart Eyes

Finally someone who understands me! Yes you are entirely correct! SH vs Jack the Ripper is the correct answer.

Hint 1 is a line from the intro of the brilliant but very short lived crime drama series Murder Rooms which was about Arthur Conan Doyle and his mentor Joseph Bell on which he based Sherlock Holmes, solving murders in Victorian England. So it’s a clear reference to Sherlock Holmes and there’s only one game where Sherloc hunts down a real life foe.
Starts at 0.44:

Hint 2 refers to the very recent tv-series Ripper Street starring Matthew McFadyen who played a spy on Spooks and Jerome Flynn who plays a mercenary on Game of Thrones.

Now onto the more difficult hints 3 and 4. Basically this seemingly innocent tale is one big reference to the Ripper murders.

The community full of caucasian Christians is of course Whitechapel. The name says it al doesn’t it? Five 18 pounders of course refers to the cannonical five. (18 pounders are cannons) The beanstalk of course refers to Jack and the Beanstalk so indeed Jack the Ripper and the fact that it starts growing in the townhall is a reference to the Whitehall mystery which some believe to be the work of the Ripper. “It’s roots deep beneath the earth” is a reference to the infamous “From Hell” letter. And the cord that is hanging form one of the branches is a ripcord.

The second part of the riddle is basically a list of suspects from the Jack the Ripper case.

The unloving husband is George Chapman who poisoned three of his wives (so not a very loving husband)
The Unfortunate Jew is the very unfortunate Jon Pizer who was completely innocent but made the mistaken of pissing of a policeman.
The Phony Indian is Francis Tumblety who pretended to be an Indian herb doctor.
The man who said it was he who could do it (I.E Jack) is Thomas Neill Cream who at his executing claimed to be the Ripper but had an alibi for two of the five cannonical murders
The writer is Lewis Carroll whom some suspect to be the Ripper. Not that there is a single shred of evidence pointing that way but I guess they think it just sounds cool.
The doctor is William Whitey Gull whom a horifying amount of people believe to be the ripper. This is based on a theory posed by Joseph Gorman who claimed to be an illigitimate son of Ripper suspect Walter Sickert (who was a painter) He said The duke of clarence (so the local regent) had fathered an illigitimate child with a shop assistant and that the Freemasons had arranged William Whitey Gull to murder anyone aware of this child. Not much later Joseph Gorman who was found out to be a complete fraud admitted he made the entire story up (surprise surprise?) but some saw it as an interesting theory. Most notably Alan Moore who turned it into a graphic novel which then spawned a Hollywood film and now a lot of people who didn’t study the subject matter to closely now believe this proposterous story to be historical fact.

So that’s it. The mystery is solved. Man am I glad to get this of my chest! I’ve been wanting to tell you this stuff for weeks! But I have to admit you probably have to be a Ripperologist to unravel the final two clues.

Anyway that wraps it up for my riddle. Over to you Grandson!

Joined 2005-04-14

PM

Even Me.

-Cary Grant

Total Posts: 6590

Joined 2007-07-22

PM

gray pierce - 09 March 2013 06:41 PM

Murder Rooms

I’ve seen this episode (can’t wait to see others), and I agree it’s of an outstanding quality. However, even I, being familiar with the series, couldn’t remember that quote, and imagine what was it like for the others. Tongue

You could have as well said - “The quote is from a TV series featuring a character who is in a way connected to the game you need to guess”, and even then it might not been easy to guess. Grin

Recently finished: Four Last Things 4/5, Edna & Harvey: The Breakout 5/5, Chains of Satinav 3,95/5, A Vampyre Story 88, Sam Peters 3/5, Broken Sword 1 4,5/5, Broken Sword 2 4,3/5, Broken Sword 3 85, Broken Sword 5 81, Gray Matter 4/5\nCurrently playing: Broken Sword 4, Keepsake (Let\‘s Play), Callahan\‘s Crosstime Saloon (post-Community Playthrough)\nLooking forward to: A Playwright’s Tale

Joined 2009-06-07

PM

zobraks - 09 March 2013 06:56 PM

It’s reactions like that, that make it all worthwhile for me.

Oh btw: I fear I don’t have the funds at the moment to make out even a small cheque but if I ever come into money (which admittedly is rather unlikely) I’ll think of you.

Joined 2009-06-07

PM

diego - 09 March 2013 07:43 PM
gray pierce - 09 March 2013 06:41 PM

Murder Rooms

I’ve seen this episode (can’t wait to see others), and I agree it’s of an outstanding quality. However, even I, being familiar with the series, couldn’t remember that quote, and imagine what was it like for the others. Tongue

You could have as well said - “The quote is from a TV series featuring a character who is in a way connected to the game you need to guess”, and even then it might not been easy to guess. Grin

I have to say: The Patient’s Eyes is the best one but the other four are really great as well. And yes the above mentioned line might have been rather helpful. And then the next few hints didn’t help a lot either. Ah well on the plus side maybe I’ve made a few Ripperologists. There can never be too much of those. Wink

Total Posts: 406

Joined 2006-04-21

PM

I took this poem far too literally…

Grin

The real problem with reality is the lack of background music.

Knightette of the Order of the Caption

Music is what feelings sound like…

Total Posts: 3933

Joined 2011-03-14

PM

Indeed!

No offense gray pierce, but doesn’t your clues basically boils down to “Guess what i’m thinking”?
Very cleverly constructed, but even Sherlock himself wouldn’t be able to deduce it.

You have to play the game, to find out why you are playing the game! - eXistenZ

Joined 2005-04-14

PM

Iznogood - 10 March 2013 05:22 AM

No offense gray pierce, but doesn’t your clues basically boil down to “Guess what i’m thinking”?

My thoughts exactly.

Iznogood - 10 March 2013 05:22 AM

Very cleverly constructed, but even Sherlock himself wouldn’t be able to deduce it.

Hehe, I‘m better than Sherlock: I’ve guessed GP was referring to Jack the Ripper and the Beanstalk (a very popular fairy tale in these parts).

Even Me.

-Cary Grant

Total Posts: 1368

Joined 2012-09-28

PM

I don’t think Sherlock watches much TV. Unless he went time-travelling, which I wouldn’t rule out.

Joined 2009-06-07

PM

skeeter_93 - 09 March 2013 09:25 PM

I took this poem far too literally…

That’s actually my fault. I didn’t mention the riddle’s very cryptic. I assumed because my previous two were as well people would assume this would be as well.

No offense gray pierce, but doesn’t your clues basically boils down to “Guess what i’m thinking”?

Perhaps you’re right. At least the first two didn’t. They refered to tv-shows that anyone can watch. (and Ripper Street is a very well watched program)

As for the riddle. As Zobraks said Jack and the Beanstalk is a very well known fairy tale and as soon as you start looking for games with the word “Jack” in the title the rest is easy. So yes it’s convoluted but to my mind not impossible. Hey be glad I’m not an adventure game designer. Wink

Total Posts: 8471

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

Zifnab - 10 March 2013 06:46 AM

I don’t think Sherlock watches much TV. Unless he went time-travelling, which I wouldn’t rule out.

Sherlock watches TV in the series Elementary. Wink

gray pierce, the explanation for your riddle made me .

The truth can’t hurt you, it’s just like the dark: it scares you witless but in time you see things clear and stark. - Elvis Costello
Maybe this time I can be strong, but since I know who I am, I’m probably wrong. Maybe this time I can go far, but thinking about where I’ve been ain’t helping me start. - Michael Kiwanuka

Joined 2009-06-07

PM

TimovieMan - 10 March 2013 08:25 AM
Zifnab - 10 March 2013 06:46 AM

Sherlock watches TV in the series Elementary Wink

Please don’t mention that horrible drivel with which everything is wrong down to the title! (yes I know I’m a fanatic Sherlockian) Wink

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top