• Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums
continue reading below

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Any news of Bracken Tor or The Last Crown?

Total Posts: 946

Joined 2005-06-02

PM

The two of you still had faith! I admire you. I gave up on Bracken Tor and its many sequels a long time ago.

Even if the game ever sees the light of day, the graphics will look outdated, getting it to run on the latest OS, like Win9/10/11 will be a problem, and I will be dead and gone.

Now playing: ——-
Recently finished: don’t remember
Up next:  Eh…
Looking forward to:
Ithaka of the Clouds; The Last Crown; all the kickstarter adventure games I supported

Total Posts: 4011

Joined 2011-04-01

PM

Fien - 04 March 2013 08:18 AM

The two of you still had faith! I admire you. I gave up on Bracken Tor and its many sequels a long time ago.

Even if the game ever sees the light of day, the graphics will look outdated, getting it to run on the latest OS, like Win9/10/11 will be a problem, and I will be dead and gone.

But at least it will be winter when it’s released. That’s the important thing!

And doesn’t Matt think he has any fans in the southern hemisphere?

Total Posts: 43

Joined 2007-11-28

PM

Oscar - 04 March 2013 08:27 AM

And doesn’t Matt think he has any fans in the southern hemisphere?

Maybe an Autumn/Spring combination? Just to make it fair?  Tongue

Anyway, I have faith. Although I’m once again forced to face the fact that a deadline (albeit generic) had been given, and was missed.

Problem is, I keep falling for it, because every announcement makes me think something like “well he’s made this kind of announcement before, it would be absolutely ludicrous if this deadline were to be missed as well”, and the more it happens, and the more ludicrous the prospect of another missed deadline becomes, and the more I’m tempted to believe the latest announcement… and the vicious circle continues..

Total Posts: 13

Joined 2010-06-18

PM

I’ve been patiently waiting for this FOREVER. Still keeping fail this comes out this year.

Total Posts: 298

Joined 2008-06-24

PM

Jaesun - 05 March 2013 12:15 PM

I’ve been patiently waiting for this FOREVER. Still keeping fail this comes out this year.

It is indeed still keeping fail!

Total Posts: 1813

Joined 2005-10-23

PM

Same about The Last Crown BTW. I don’t believe that will appear this year either. Such a pity…

Joined 2005-06-02

PM

tsa - 06 March 2013 03:02 AM

Same about The Last Crown BTW. I don’t believe that will appear this year either. Such a pity…

Recent Jonathan Boakes tweet:

@jonathanboakes Any news on the progress of The Last Crown?

@Motters01 Longer production than expected but hopefully worth the wait. Longer gameplay and more lively than first instalment too. #imho

Looking forward to:
Ithaka of the Clouds; The Last Crown; all the kickstarter adventure games I supported

Total Posts: 4255

Joined 2005-04-14

PM

for the info.
I never had any doubt we’ll be in for a treat with Bracken Tor (Barrow Hill is one of my favo(u)rites). The question is when (exactly) it will be. Probably in my lifetime.

I have a couple of Nancy Drew Carol Reed games (and a whole lot of good old AGs) to play meanwhile anyway.

Everybody wants to be Cary Grant.
Even Me.

-Cary Grant

Joined 2005-06-02

PM

Zorba, are you still participating in the community playthrough? Hm?

Looking forward to:

Total Posts: 1368

Joined 2012-09-28

PM

Fien - 06 March 2013 04:16 AM

Recent Jonathan Boakes tweet:

@jonathanboakes Any news on the progress of The Last Crown?

@Motters01 Longer production than expected but hopefully worth the wait. Longer gameplay and more lively than first instalment too. #imho

Uh oh… cue the Quick Time Events and combat Foot in mouth

Total Posts: 40

Joined 2009-04-25

PM

tsa - 06 March 2013 03:02 AM

Personally, I feel totally differently about The Last Crown than I do about Bracken Tor.

Boakes has consistently said that TLC will be ready when it’s ready, and made no promises beyond that, so I’m content to wait. Indie games take time, and I have no problem with him taking as much as he needs.

With Bracken Tor, we’ve missed so many promised release dates that I feel jerked around and annoyed with the whole thing. I’ve totally given up on it. I’ll probably still end up playing it when it comes up if I think to look for it, but getting my hopes up and then dashed over and over has killed my enthusiasm for the game… which is a shame, because I was so very very excited for it a couple of years ago.

If it was just the wait without the missed release dates, I’d be totally cool with how things are going with Bracken Tor. My frustration has very little to do with the time it’s taking, and everything to do with how the wait has been handled by the developer and publishers.

Total Posts: 299

Joined 2006-12-04

PM

I wonder if/when Bracken Tor does get released that Matt will gives the low down on what has happened. Personally I think this all has been some kind of problem or power play with a distributor/publisher as both Matt and Jonathon Boakes have had legal issues with some in the past. Might explain the silence that neither of them have shown before. Jonathon who regularly updated his Blog has not made an entry for close to a year and a half. I say this without any knowledge just a gut feeling because this has all been so strange.

Don’t Hate Me Because I Am Beautiful…There Are Many Other Reasons

Joined 2005-06-02

PM

Your “gut feeling” is wrong. You ignore everything that has been said about the delays. Matt Clark is to blame and nobody else.

PS: Jonathan is simply now twittering instead of blogging.

Looking forward to:

Total Posts: 3

Joined 2009-09-03

PM

So we’re not too far away from 2014 and still no news.  The Bracken Tor website hasn’t been updated since 2012 and there’s been no word from Iceberg since 2011.  They removed all previous announcements and the comments facility and replaced it with a rather ironic “coming soon!”.

It’s now over three years since we were told that the game was nearly finished and they started taking pre-orders.  There’s no point going over all the missed release dates after that as we’re all aware of them.  But it’s now over three years later, even for a one-man developer that’s time to write a game from scratch, and it’s nearly eight years since Barrow Hill was released, so what’s happening?

Maybe Matt Clark is ill, maybe there’s other things going on in his life which mean the game is on hold.  We simply don’t know.  Although there’s been no word that the game is cancelled, I think a lot of us gave up on it a long time ago, which is a shame as it looked so promising.

Whatever the situation is, it’s the silence which is really strange.  Maybe there are legal reasons why nothing can be said?  I really hope this game does get released as it seems to be just my sort of thing, but whatever, I’m sure most of us would just like to know SOMETHING.

Total Posts: 1813

Joined 2005-10-23

PM

I follow Jonathan Boakes on Facebook and he often posts pictures of him and Matt Clarke posing in the middle of nowhere. So I take it Bracken Tor will never be finished, and I was frankly surprised that there are still people waiting for it. Mister Boakes is going in the same direction by the way. He promised us a nice small adventure for Halloween, and it’s now a month later and this small adventure is still ‘out soon.’ I don’t think we can play The Last Crown in 2014.
Steve Jobs once said: great artists ship. Ok, he learned that from someone else, but it is true. So please, highly talented Cornwall based adventure makers: ship your games ASAP!

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top