• Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums
continue reading below

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

OOUSVeovis

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

(Finnish book) Great Adventure Games - Classics of Computer Games

Total Posts: 932

Joined 2004-03-23

PM

I thought it might interest the forums here, though mainly academically, that there is a Finnish book in the makings (currently in a Kickstarterish funding phase) called “Suuret seikkailupelit - tietokonepelien klassikot” (“Great adventure games - classics of computer games”).
http://mesenaatti.me/en/suureseikkailupelit/
(description etc. in Finnish (as the book unfortunately seems to only be in Finnish), but I figured I’d link anyways in case someone’s interested)

It’s a kind of (deep-probing) history of adventure games, it goes into the development of the genre and also presents dozens of the most important classics and newer successes. Most importantly, it includes interviews by people like “Al Lowe, Ron Gilbert, Brian Fargo, David Fox, Noah Falstein, Dave Grossman, Brian Moriarty, James Walls and Hal Barwood.” (In the video he says “pretty much all the most important makers of AGs” - according to a Tweet, at least Ken Williams too)

Here’s one part of the description translated (by me):
“What is an adventure game and what is the genre’s role in the evolution of digital games? Why did Sierra prefer written commands while Lucasarts used mouse control from the start? What is the role of George Lucas and Steven Spielberg in the history of adventure games? What factors led to adventure games conquering the world and dying? How did AGs rise back on their feet?”

The writer is a journalist who’s worked in a Finnish gaming magazine etc. and last year wrote a very thorough history of Finnish video games.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top