• Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums
continue reading below

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

NEW AGS Maniac Mansion Day of the Tentacle - REMAKE

Total Posts: 7

Joined 2014-10-16

PM

Just like the classic in 1993, Day of the Tentacle, also known as Maniac Mansion II: Day of the Tentacle, is a graphic adventure game originally developed and published by LucasArts. It is the sequel to the 1987 game Maniac Mansion. Now the graphics are redesigned in Flash and then imported to AGS (Adventure Game Studio) by an indie team still recruiting. This new Remake of the game will allow the player to replay this great classic game with much improved graphics and many more unconfirmed features, such as:

A new ending?
3 new playable characters?
Close-up animated speech portraits?
New puzzles?
Achievements list?
More platforms compatibilities?
More animations?
Additional sequel

The main release is currently unknown but will most probably be free to play.

Our indie team is still currently recruiting within our AGS forums, such as AGS 3.3 scripters, Flash animators and more! So if you are interested into working on this exciting project, send me a message or check out our forums recruiting page here:
http://www.adventuregamestudio.co.uk/forums/index.php?topic=51120.0

Also visit AGS forums for more details and updates about the project:
http://www.adventuregamestudio.co.uk/forums/index.php?topic=51117.0

Total Posts: 813

Joined 2004-08-01

PM

How have you managed to secure the rights?

Joined 2014-10-16

PM

Antrax - 16 October 2014 04:10 PM

No rights needed if it’s a non-profitable project.  Wink

Total Posts: 461

Joined 2003-09-12

PM

Feenyx - 17 October 2014 10:26 AM
Antrax - 16 October 2014 04:10 PM

No rights needed if it’s a non-profitable project.  Wink

Say that to Phoenix Online Studios and their legal battle over the King’s Quest fan game, The Silver Lining.

You can easily be hit with a cease and desist.

Now Playing: Harold Halibut, Final Fantasy VII Rebirth, Baldur’s Gate 3, Alan Wake Remastered, Legend of Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom
Recently Completed: Botany Manor, Apollo Justice: Ace Attorney Trilogy, Like a Dragon: Infinite Wealth, Silent Hill: The Short Message, Under the Waves
Anticipating: Beyond Good and Evil 2
Backing: Asylum

Joined 2014-10-16

PM

Well it’s pretty much the same situation as King’s quest fan games series. They got the approval by Roberta Williams but nothing about a license. We might just send our regards to Dave Grossman. Besides, the series are all free to play and so is our game and also, LucasArts was shut down by Disney last year.

Total Posts: 8471

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

Feenyx - 17 October 2014 12:53 PM

LucasArts was shut down by Disney last year.

That just means that a cease-and-desist would come from Disney instead of LucasArts…

The truth can’t hurt you, it’s just like the dark: it scares you witless but in time you see things clear and stark. - Elvis Costello
Maybe this time I can be strong, but since I know who I am, I’m probably wrong. Maybe this time I can go far, but thinking about where I’ve been ain’t helping me start. - Michael Kiwanuka

Total Posts: 1368

Joined 2012-09-28

PM

Since it’s free to play it should fall under the Fair Use doctrine. If it does, Disney can send them whatever they like, it won’t have any legal effect. I’d personally send them back an explanation of the relevant laws.

Joined 2014-10-16

PM

Do you guys have any link I could read about that? I’d be interested into learning more about all this. Thanks!

Total Posts: 2653

Joined 2013-03-14

PM

The simple explanation is, that Disney owns all the Lucas IP’s and they are the ones who will enforce those rights. So despite Lucasfilm is no more, the IP rights are still very much enforced by Disney.

Will they do it? Who knows, they could. And even if you would be in the right to do the game as freeware, they could still potentially start enforcing their rights with more money anyone has seen here. And Disney gets their way, that is why none of their characters have fallen under public domain.

Joined 2014-10-16

PM

Well then I guess we will just have to wait and see what happens then. The game is still under construction, however. But if something like that comes up, we’ll simply have to work on a different project. I don’t think that there’s anything that can be done about it for now.

Thanks for the heads up guys!

Joined 2012-09-28

PM

tomimt - 18 October 2014 03:16 PM

The simple explanation is, that Disney owns all the Lucas IP’s and they are the ones who will enforce those rights. So despite Lucasfilm is no more, the IP rights are still very much enforced by Disney.

Will they do it? Who knows, they could. And even if you would be in the right to do the game as freeware, they could still potentially start enforcing their rights with more money anyone has seen here. And Disney gets their way, that is why none of their characters have fallen under public domain.

Companies do not enforce rights; Courts do. And while there are copyright laws, there are exceptions to those laws. Whether this game fits those exceptions only a judge can say; but there are good grounds for arguing it does (and arguments that it doesn’t). It’s up to Feenyx whether to take the risk, so let’s support him, no?

Feenyx - 18 October 2014 02:49 PM

Do you guys have any link I could read about that? I’d be interested into learning more about all this. Thanks!

http://www.copyright.gov/fls/fl102.html
So put simply, the court weighs up four factors to determine if the game is fair use of Disney IP:
1. The purpose and character of the use, including whether such use is of commercial nature or is for nonprofit educational purposes
2. The nature of the copyrighted work
3. The amount and substantiality of the portion used in relation to the copyrighted work as a whole
4. The effect of the use upon the potential market for, or value of, the copyrighted work

Not very helpful, is it? Smile

Total Posts: 187

Joined 2005-01-25

PM

There’s no way a full remake falls under fair use, and even if it did you’d be a fool to take it to court. The only hope here is that Disney won’t find out, won’t care, or will decide to permit it. LucasArts used to be pretty lenient with non-profit fan projects, even granting explicit permission in some cases; Disney lawyers have a far more draconian reputation, but I don’t know to what extent they’re watching over their still relatively newly acquired adventure game IP.

Joined 2012-09-28

PM

after a brisk nap - 18 October 2014 10:33 PM

There’s no way a full remake falls under fair use, and even if it did you’d be a fool to take it to court.

This sentence makes no sense at all. Try not to post if you don’t know what you’re talking about.

Total Posts: 813

Joined 2004-08-01

PM

Makes a lot of sense to me. Going to court takes a lot of time and money, and a typical hobbyist doesn’t have too much of either.

Total Posts: 2653

Joined 2013-03-14

PM

Zifnab - 18 October 2014 10:59 PM
after a brisk nap - 18 October 2014 10:33 PM

There’s no way a full remake falls under fair use, and even if it did you’d be a fool to take it to court.

This sentence makes no sense at all. Try not to post if you don’t know what you’re talking about.

It makes a lot of sense really. Fair use doesn’t automatically allow a full copy to be made of someones IP. You can use it to parody or to review, but as far I know full remakes don’t fall in this category.

Total Posts: 1079

Joined 2003-09-30

PM

A new ending?
3 new playable characters?
Close-up animated speech portraits?
New puzzles?
Achievements list?

Looks like it wont be a full remake but bastardized one, like the very fashion in these days.

“Going on means going far - Going far means returning”

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top