• Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums
continue reading below

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Lady KestrelLittleRose

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Quest for Infamy Discussion and Impressions

Total Posts: 117

Joined 2013-08-31

PM

Yea made the adjustment with the QFI setup file, got it full screen and all is good.

Game is great, absolutely in love with it.

Total Posts: 20

Joined 2007-08-16

PM

If you got the game on steam those files they mention are in your steam folder, steam apps, QFI.

Total Posts: 1235

Joined 2013-03-31

PM

Yeah, AGS currently doesn’t allow for the in-game adjustment of graphics options.  It’s a feature we hope to be able to do in the future though.

Total Posts: 7446

Joined 2013-08-26

PM

So I got my Humble Bundle key today. Great. I download one file. I end up with an installer… clickety-click… verifying… verified… music… and nothing else. No message that something is being installed, just music and me staring at my desktop. I got fed up after 15 minutes or so but of course there was no way to turn off the blaring music. I have installed quite a few video games over the years, but this is the first time I don’t KNOW whether something is being installed or not. 

Quest for Infamy may be a great game but I’m not going to play it anytime soon.

Butter my buns and call me a biscuit! - Agent A

Total Posts: 619

Joined 2012-06-06

PM

Sorry that was bothersome to you, Karlok.  Next time, I’ll have the person making installers address these concerns.

Bt

Joined 2013-03-31

PM

This is the first I’ve heard of this particular issue.  The default installation directory should be something like Program Files/Quest for Infamy.  I’d check there first.

If there was indeed an install problem, it may be a download issue where you’d need to redownload the game—I know that in the past, with other AGS games, download errors sometimes affect the installation.

In any case, I’ll send a message to the guy who made the installer and see if he can shed some light on it.

Joined 2013-08-26

PM

Blackthorne - 11 July 2014 06:11 PM

Sorry that was bothersome to you, Karlok.  Next time, I’ll have the person making installers address these concerns.

Bt

I take it from your unpleasantly sarcastic comment that this is the way the installation is supposed to take place? No message that something is being installed, no progress indicator, just music? You’re the developer, I’m one of your backers. First I get no key, and now this. Please answer the question. Thank you.

Joined 2013-03-31

PM

I’m honestly not sure if it’s supposed to work that way or not—I’ve only played the Steam version of the release build.  I suspect there may be some technical issue here though.  I’ve sent a message to our installer guy—he’s usually pretty quick about getting back to us, so I’ll update you or send him over here as soon as I hear from him.  For future reference, the best place to post technical support questions would be on our own forums, in the tech support section here:

http://www.infamous-quests.com/forum/index.php?board=39.0

We’ve got people on hand that can help straighten things out more quickly than if stuff is posted on other community boards that we may not see for a while.  We’ll try to get it sorted out for you as soon as we can.

Joined 2013-08-26

PM

Lambonius - 11 July 2014 06:21 PM

This is the first I’ve heard of this particular issue.  The default installation directory should be something like Program Files/Quest for Infamy.  I’d check there first.

There is no Quest for Infamy directory. All I have (or rather had, cause I saw no point in keeping it) is an .exe file, which I doubleclicked.

Joined 2013-08-26

PM

Lambonius - 11 July 2014 06:32 PM

http://www.infamous-quests.com/forum/index.php?board=39.0

I visited that forum just now and I see Blackthorne is replying to questions. No thanks! You don’t treat someone who can’t get the game to install and doesn’t know what’s going on the way he treated me.

Total Posts: 17

Joined 2007-06-07

PM

Sorry you are having issues with it. I doubt that it is a bad download or it would not pass the CRC check. There is obviously something on your system that is preventing it from getting past the initialization phase. What OS? What security software do you have? Did you close out all other running programs before? Did you try turning off your AV for the install to prevent issues with false positives?

Joined 2013-08-26

PM

Collector - 11 July 2014 06:59 PM

Sorry you are having issues with it. I doubt that it is a bad download or it would not pass the CRC check. There is obviously something on your system that is preventing it from getting past the initialization phase. What OS?

Win7.

What security software do you have?

Avira

Did you close out all other running programs before?

Don’t remember. Probably not.

Did you try turning off your AV for the install to prevent issues with false positives?

No.

I’m currently redownloading the setup file. I’ll try installing the game again tomorrow and follow your advice. Thanks for taking my complaint seriously, and thanks Lambonius.

Total Posts: 619

Joined 2012-06-06

PM

Karlok - I was taking your complaint seriously, I WAS going to ask the person who made the installer about it - he has replied here (Collector).  I am answering many questions across the board currently, but I do care about your problems.  We’ll get to the bottom of this.

Bt

Total Posts: 268

Joined 2008-07-05

PM

Zifnab - 11 July 2014 01:14 AM

Attempt to interact with Voleris after your conversation and a tragic line of text appears: “there’s nothing you would like more than to touch her”. Such wilful objectification of women is wholly unacceptable, yet unfortunately, it’s a theme that perpetuates throughout the game

So apparently we’re only allowed to play as Ned Flanders now. Next, stealing and killing will be “wholly unacceptable”, along with anything other than thinking innocent thoughts and reading the bible at home.

At least one of the other reviews has also said that the roles of all women in the game are horribly stereotyped. It’s one thing having a character (even a lead character) who’s sexist and treats women badly (makes it difficult for me to empathise with the character but certainly isn’t a total no-no) but it’s a different issue having a whole game world where ALL women are portrayed in such a way. As a different reviewer (who was overall positive about the game) wrote:

it bugs me that all but one woman in this game (that I found) are just dressed-up eye-candy for the players (and, I suppose, Roehm) to gawk at.

I play adventures with my wife & I think we’d have little interest in playing a game in which the main role all women play is as sex objects for men. Admittedly I haven’t played the game at all - I was put off backing it by the impression it gave beforehand of portraying women as sex objects, plus irritated at the time by Lamb’s contributions on this forum, and I never played QfG anyway. But I’d be interested in a response on the issue from Blackthorne (or Lamb) on the issue - the artwork does look very nice on some screenshots & I’d like to know whether to keep QfI in mind as a possible future purtchase or not.

Joined 2013-03-31

PM

DaveyB - 12 July 2014 02:53 AM

At least one of the other reviews has also said that the roles of all women in the game are horribly stereotyped. It’s one thing having a character (even a lead character) who’s sexist and treats women badly (makes it difficult for me to empathise with the character but certainly isn’t a total no-no) but it’s a different issue having a whole game world where ALL women are portrayed in such a way.

Obviously, I have a biased view about it, having been in on the production, but it’s worth noting that MOST characters in this game are stereotypes, not just the women.  The whole game is meant to take the piss out of your standard pulp fantasy tropes: the gruff sheriff, the snooty mayor, the burly blacksmith, the smarmy rogue, the crafty sorcerer, the jolly innkeeper, etc. etc. etc., including the warrior woman, the femme fatale, the mysterious seductress.  It’s all meant as parody and satire, and is addressed with the same sarcastic humor as every other element of the game.

It hasn’t worked for some people, others have gotten what we were going for and even praised it.  I do think it’s interesting that some of our most glowing reviews have been from female reviewers though, and they never even mentioned it.  Not sure what I mean to suggest with that, but so far the people bothered by it do seem to be in the minority.  It’s not a Leisure Suit Larry game, by any means.  I don’t think the humor ever really crosses over into being crass.  Silly, yes.  Sarcastic, absolutely.  But not crass (at least, not intentionally.)

Steve was the primary writer, so he can speak more specifically to the intentions behind those characters.  I’m sure he’ll have a thoughtful response for you soon.  Smile

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top