• Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums
continue reading below

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

chrissieNDFzobraks

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

New Adventure game on Kickstarter - Lucasarts Style

Total Posts: 2653

Joined 2013-03-14

PM

I agree with Caliburn about dropping the direct Lucasarts comparision from the title. Nothing about your game invokes “this could have been made by modern Lucas” feeling, as your style just doesn’t match the idea I have about what Lucas games could look today.

Your style also looks much better animated. The stills you have present basically the kind of style I’ve never been able to decide if it looks good or not. But when I saw it with added animation, the style clicked much better with me and frankly, your main character doesn’t really work well when presneted only as a static figure, being the stick man he is.

Total Posts: 5

Joined 2011-09-07

PM

Thanks everyone for putting in your feedback!

Mr. Underhill: No worries man, your feedback has been very helpful. All is appreciated.

Caliburn: Very grateful for the thoughtful feedback. You, and others, suggestions to put animated GIFs on the kickstarter page was freaking excellent. Don’t know why I didn’t think of this in the first place.. seems like common sense! Your comments have seriously helped me because now the page looks WAY better and more interesting.

Caliburn you also said that “gritty” and “urban” isn’t your thing. Well, could I tantalize you by saying that the first episode is strictly a Space Adventure? There are no gang bangers. But there are scary aliens which Johnny beats the crap out of (and vice versa). Things would get pretty gnarly and gruesome, ala John Carpenter’s, “The Thing” or “Starship Troopers.”

Lastly, thank you for providing all of those helpful links =)

Dag: I know my artwork doesn’t compare to Peter Chan or Steve Purcell. They are masters.

tomimt: Thank you for also suggesting I add animated GIFs. As stated previously it is the gameplay and sarcasm that I was making the LucasArts comparison. Not the artwork.

theo: Just got your pledge, dude. Thanks for backing the project!

This very website, Adventure Gamers, has graciously given “Johnny Rocketfingers 3” some new press! Check it out:
http://www.adventuregamers.com/news/view/27771

Also I put Johnny in Steam Greenlight Concepts:
http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=350904986

If there are any other questions or concerns; I would love to address them!

Smile

Image Attachments

Untitled-1.jpg
Untitled-12.jpg

Total Posts: 523

Joined 2010-02-08

PM

ryank - 19 December 2014 12:36 AM

Caliburn: Very grateful for the thoughtful feedback. You, and others, suggestions to put animated GIFs on the kickstarter page was freaking excellent.

You’re quite welcome for the feedback. Though I can’t take credit for the animated gifs: That was Theo’s astute suggestion and I just echoed it.

I noticed you’ve made a lot of good changes to the KS page text, in addition to the animated gifs. I like how you tweaked this bit: “Violent, Hand-Drawn Point & Click Adventure Game on Steroids Inspired by LucasArts, Gritty Action Movies and 1940’s Animation.” I think it shows the mix of influences better, and highlights your unique style more. I also think it’s smart that the pitch now seems to embrace more the fact that it’s a violent game: it seems more confident, like you know who your audience is.

ryank - 19 December 2014 12:36 AM

Caliburn you also said that “gritty” and “urban” isn’t your thing. Well, could I tantalize you by saying that the first episode is strictly a Space Adventure? There are no gang bangers. But there are scary aliens which Johnny beats the crap out of (and vice versa). Things would get pretty gnarly and gruesome, ala John Carpenter’s, “The Thing” or “Starship Troopers.”

Honest answer? No, that doesn’t make a big difference to me, personally. It’s true that I like sci-fi more than urban gangs, but I’m just not big into violence, badassitude, etc. So don’t take it the wrong way: I’m not a fan of Quentin Tarantino films or of Paul Verhoeven films either. I’m simply not in your target audience, but that doesn’t mean you should change anything about your story or style to appeal to me.

Total Posts: 232

Joined 2010-08-21

PM

Happy to support. Smile

Total Posts: 600

Joined 2011-06-07

PM

Honest answer? No, that doesn’t make a big difference to me, personally. It’s true that I like sci-fi more than urban gangs, but I’m just not big into violence, badassitude, etc. So don’t take it the wrong way: I’m not a fan of Quentin Tarantino films or of Paul Verhoeven films either.

Ouch, now that I can’t abide with Laughing

To be fair, the violence in Tarantino or Verhoeven films is usually not just for the violence itself, but serves a greater purpose. I wouldn’t call most of either director’s movies just mindless action flicks.

Verhoeven, incidently, does (or did, should I say) a pretty good Sci-Fi movie.
And yes, being Dutch means, that all we got is Paul   Wink

Total Posts: 8471

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

The Kickstarter campaign does look a lot better now. Those animated gifs make all the difference in the world to make Johnny Rocketfingers come to life…

subbi - 19 December 2014 06:04 AM

To be fair, the violence in Tarantino or Verhoeven films is usually not just for the violence itself, but serves a greater purpose. I wouldn’t call most of either director’s movies just mindless action flicks.

I agree, but have to concede that both of them have gone for shock value on occasion, so YMMV.

Oh, yeah. RoboCop, Total Recall and Starship Troopers are classics!

And yes, being Dutch means, that all we got is Paul Wink

Martin Koolhoven and Pieter Kuijpers have shown potential, no? Jan De Bont on the other hand should have stayed a cinematographer (well, Speed was good and Twister had its moments but afterwards?)...
Btw, why isn’t Mike van Diem directing anymore? Karakter was brilliant!

Sorry for the off-topic. My nickname is TimovieMan after all…

The truth can’t hurt you, it’s just like the dark: it scares you witless but in time you see things clear and stark. - Elvis Costello
Maybe this time I can be strong, but since I know who I am, I’m probably wrong. Maybe this time I can go far, but thinking about where I’ve been ain’t helping me start. - Michael Kiwanuka

Total Posts: 523

Joined 2010-02-08

PM

subbi - 19 December 2014 06:04 AM

I wouldn’t call most of either director’s movies just mindless action flicks.

Sure, good point and just to be clear, I wasn’t putting either filmmaker down and I would not have used the term “mindless.” I simply used those filmmakers to contextualize why I am outside the target audience for a project like Johnny Rocketfingers. I mentioned Tarantino because he’s referenced in the Kickstarter pitch, and Verhoeven because he directed Starship Troopers which Ryan referenced above. We could talk about the nuances of the use of violence in the films, e.g. Starship Troopers as a satire of wartime propaganda and fascist militaries, but that would be moving off-topic and is not really what I was trying to say.

As an analogy, it’s as if I were walking down the street and Ryan said “Hey Caliburn, I’m selling these fine leather jackets.” Wink Well, maybe I like jackets (adventure games), but I don’t particularly like leather (grit, violence, badassitude, gangs, prisons, aliens as gruesome monsters, etc.)—so then Ryan shouldn’t feel bad if he fails to sell a jacket to me, he just needs to find the people who like leather jackets.

If there aren’t enough of those people or if they still don’t like some aspect of the product (Johnny Rocketfingers 3), then Ryan will need to adapt accordingly, but he shouldn’t be trying to adapt to my tastes when I’m not in the target audience. He should be making the clearest and best pitch he can for like-minded people.

Total Posts: 601

Joined 2014-11-29

PM

I don’t think there’s a lack of people who enjoy cool looking violence, it’s just that they’re not used to having it in their adventures, as they’re traditionally a laid back, almost contemplative experience. But I did notice that the previous Rocketfinger games have millions of plays, so there’s definitely a crossover niche to be exploited, to put it in soulless marketing terms.  It’s partly been toyed with before by Tim Schafer himself in Full Throttle, albeit a lot more mildly (although, those combat sections…oof!).  Well, it got us talking about it, and that’s good for the project.

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

Mr Underhill - 19 December 2014 06:30 PM

It’s partly been toyed with before by Tim Schafer himself in Full Throttle, albeit a lot more mildly (although, those combat sections…oof!).  Well, it got us talking about it, and that’s good for the project.

Heh, not everyone realizes that those bike fights were puzzles as well.
Throwing fertilizer dust into any biker that doesn’t wear goggles = insta-win. You can get the chainsaw this way which is also an insta-win vs. everyone but the Cavefish. And the Cavefish are beaten by the plank which you should be able to obtain without actually having to really fight anyone… Tongue

Or you can go ahead and fight anyway. Cool
Heck, there are people who beat Ahnold in Fate of Atlantis by fighting… Crazy

The truth can’t hurt you, it’s just like the dark: it scares you witless but in time you see things clear and stark. - Elvis Costello
Maybe this time I can be strong, but since I know who I am, I’m probably wrong. Maybe this time I can go far, but thinking about where I’ve been ain’t helping me start. - Michael Kiwanuka

Total Posts: 600

Joined 2011-06-07

PM

TimovieMan - 19 December 2014 01:17 PM

Oh, yeah. RoboCop, Total Recall and Starship Troopers are classics!

And yes, being Dutch means, that all we got is Paul Wink

Martin Koolhoven and Pieter Kuijpers have shown potential, no? Jan De Bont on the other hand should have stayed a cinematographer (well, Speed was good and Twister had its moments but afterwards?)...
Btw, why isn’t Mike van Diem directing anymore? Karakter was brilliant!

Sorry for the off-topic. My nickname is TimovieMan after all…

Yes, you do know your directors, don’t you Laughing
I suppose both are fine directors, but not in the league of Paul Verhoeven IMO.

Personally, I don’t like movies in the dutch language much, so I haven’t even seen some of their work. Sometimes, the acting can be quite cringeworthy in dutch movies, which of course is not unique to dutch, but for some reason it is more apparant to me when it is the case.

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

subbi - 20 December 2014 06:14 AM

Personally, I don’t like movies in the dutch language much, so I haven’t even seen some of their work.

I can somewhat relate to this. The best Belgian movies (imo) are all in French, and one of the exceptions (Rundskop) has different dialects as a major plot point (West-Flemish vs. Limburgian)...
Doesn’t mean I’ll refuse to watch them, though.

Total Posts: 601

Joined 2014-11-29

PM

Thought I’d remind everyone of Ryan’s Kickstarter. It has 70 hrs to go, maybe someone around here hasn’t noticed this thread and would like to chip in. Good luck dude!

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top