• Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums
continue reading below

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Obduction Coming … Is Anyone Excited? 

Total Posts: 8998

Joined 2004-01-05

PM

Karlok - 26 August 2016 03:11 AM

The patch was supposed to fix the language bug but they rolled back the update for the time being because there were reports of broken save files.

I’d hoped they would do something about the voices and the “static”. I found listening to the tape recordings at Farley’s unpleasant, although I can understand what they’re saying.

Good call, please don’t mess with my save file now… The audio I’m not having problems with, only in that little prologue scene it sounded bad.
However in Farley’s house there were some papers that I couldn’t make out the handwriting

Total Posts: 1079

Joined 2003-09-30

PM

Karlok - 26 August 2016 03:11 AM

I don’t understand why anyone would call Obduction Zork’s “spiritual successor” when it has nothing in common with the Zork universe of magic and wizards, the Zork atmosphere, its humor, and its inventory puzzles.

Zork emphasis for the style.Maybe best not to compare with myst anymore but i expected to find more serious myst(ical) style anyhow.

“Going on means going far - Going far means returning”

Total Posts: 7446

Joined 2013-08-26

PM

Style…

I have no idea what Zork or Obduction “style” you’re talking about. For me, Obduction has infinitely more in common with Myst or Riven than with the Zork games.

Butter my buns and call me a biscuit! - Agent A

Total Posts: 363

Joined 2012-09-20

PM

More I play the game, more I like it. Visually stunning, great soundtrack and effects. A real Cyan game from the best times. Once you revive the tree and go to Kapka (or whatever) you’ll see how gorgeous the game is.

Joined 2004-01-05

PM

UruBoo - 26 August 2016 10:35 AM

More I play the game, more I like it. Visually stunning, great soundtrack and effects. A real Cyan game from the best times. Once you revive the tree and go to Kapka (or whatever) you’ll see how gorgeous the game is.

I agree, the scale of that world is incredible, everything feels enormous. And when you get to understand how it all connects it’s great. Loving the jumping between worlds puzzles.

Have to say as someone that doesn’t any feelings towards Myst (only finished 3 and 4) this is a nice surprise for me.

Joined 2004-01-05

PM

Finished it.
One of the best (might be the best) kickstarter funded adventures released. Was engaged the whole time, mostly excellent puzzles, not excessively hard, but provide good challenge (maybe Myst 3 level, hard to compare). Only thing it annoyed me was a couple of puzzles that where just too slow, usually involving a lot of walking and world-jumping despite you already know what to do or try.
Story was ok, built on an interesting world.
Soundtrack was great, music was sparse but used in good moments. Too bad it had some sudden cuts if you left the zone (I usually waited to hear it…)
Very good visuals, seems like Unreal Engine is excelllent for indies. Liked the world variety.
There is one big negative that I don’t want to talk until more people finish it to avoid spoiling something.
Bugs where not terrible, had 2 desktop crashes and 1 where I got stuck inside a terraina (fortunately it didn’t auto-save there or something). Of course i had to change the language every time I started the game.

Total Posts: 5051

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

As the one who has finished it, please detail the equipment on which you played the game. I’ve got a friend in Canada who says his Alienware PC doesn’t meet specs, but he is playing the game nonetheless at above minimums. Makes me wonder how precise the specs are. I’m not going to spend $30 US to find out it won’t work on my system. But if people who have been told it won’t work, get it to work, who knows what will work.

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

Joined 2004-01-05

PM

rtrooney - 26 August 2016 07:57 PM

As the one who has finished it, please detail the equipment on which you played the game. I’ve got a friend in Canada who says his Alienware PC doesn’t meet specs, but he is playing the game nonetheless at above minimums. Makes me wonder how precise the specs are. I’m not going to spend $30 US to find out it won’t work on my system. But if people who have been told it won’t work, get it to work, who knows what will work.

Sure, my specs are basically the recommended for this game:
Win10-64bit; Gforce GTX970; 16Gb RAM; Intel i5-4690.
Works great with all the graphics options turned on.

Total Posts: 5051

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

Thanks. I still wonder. Running Win7 64-bit. Intel7-2600. I have more than enough disk space. It’s the video and RAM memory that has me questioning whether the game will play.

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

Total Posts: 7109

Joined 2005-09-29

PM

rtrooney - 26 August 2016 08:42 PM

Thanks. I still wonder. Running Win7 64-bit. Intel7-2600. I have more than enough disk space. It’s the video and RAM memory that has me questioning whether the game will play.

Medium settings will do disservice so better to wait.

@wilco
post story summary.

Joined 2013-08-26

PM

nomadsoul - 26 August 2016 08:45 PM

@wilco
post story summary.

Why not play the game yourself, what good is just the story? Most stories sound silly when summarized.

I haven’t finished yet, not by a long shot, in fact I’m seriously stuck. But that’s fine, I love playing Obduction.

Total Posts: 7109

Joined 2005-09-29

PM

Karlok - 27 August 2016 02:52 AM

@wilco
post story summary.

Why not play the game yourself, what good is just the story? Most stories sound silly when summarized.

I have already gone through playthrough on youtube, so thanks for your two cents.

Joined 2013-08-26

PM

nomadsoul - 27 August 2016 03:35 AM

I have already gone through playthrough on youtube, so thanks for your two cents.

What a pity. Seriously. But in that case you already know the story. To be honest, I’m against wilco posting a summary of the story, which might ruin other people’s experience, including mine. Maybe he can PM you?

Total Posts: 59

Joined 2012-02-15

PM

A fine addition to cyan’s neo-cliché series no matter how extension in time changes cranks and gears still there and will be your best pal along the way,you have to study around decide when turn the valves,shift the gears,get lost it mazes etc. cyan pulls every trick in the book to keep you baffled till the end,kudos.

Joined 2004-01-05

PM

nomadsoul - 27 August 2016 03:35 AM
Karlok - 27 August 2016 02:52 AM

@wilco
post story summary.

Honestly, I have some doubts about the story, not sure what happened in some places, probably better to open a new thread to discuss the story. I’ll probably have to dig around reddit or something for a better view.

Edit: Found I wanted in this good post at the Steam forums:
Nice discussion of the whole story to read (SPOILERS):
http://steamcommunity.com/app/306760/discussions/0/359547436750223968/

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top