• Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums
continue reading below

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

CaliMonk

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Casual Playthrough #9 - Mystery Case Files: Dire Grove

Total Posts: 2990

Joined 2012-03-09

PM

I managed to open the suitcase!!! Part luck, part deduction!!

I may had no idea what the girl’s telephone number was, but I tried some combinations with the last numbers of the girl’s student id card (the one droped in the hotel entrance and…. I did it Tongue

Don’t know if it is random or something.

BTW, great laughs when I just walked out of the manager’s office through the supposed locked door after all the hard work we did to break in.  Grin

Total Posts: 5051

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

I think the video takes a great deal of poetic license. There’s a video that shows all four students in the same shot. Who took that video. That said, I think all the video was taken before the students disappeared. Maybe a better way of saying that is that I don’t remember any video being taken after all four disappeared.

About you being out of sequence. I remember the game being quite linear. And the sequence I used was the one I remember. I quite obviously am wrong. Your second student is my student #4. I don’t think it matters, as long as you stop when you find your next student.

NOTE TO EVERYONE -

If you find a student other than the one shown in the picture I posted.

STOP THERE! Let me know where you found your student. The game is still the same. You still need to find four students. But it is apparently possible to find them in a different order than the order I’m using.

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

Total Posts: 401

Joined 2003-09-16

PM

I found the Blacksmith in the Heritage Museum. I found the Farmer in the Cottage.

Total Posts: 1573

Joined 2003-09-10

PM

I found the hunter (the one I was supposed to find).

So “aigz” is “eggs”? All that creativity overflowing into improvised English! Words with letters you never pronounce. (St. John, for instance, pronounced “sinjun” or something absurd like that.)

I did find some “eggs” later that were labeled “eggs.” Maybe they were imported from America, where the sensible, noncreative spellers live.

Innocent

Total Posts: 118

Joined 2014-05-05

PM

Finished the chapter as indicated. Maybe I missed it, but I didn’t see any alternate path.

These days I go everywhere with a carpetbag containing a crowbar, a flashlight, a screwdriver, an oilcan, a ladder, a zipper tab, and a chihuahua.

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

I didn’t realize I was going to have to go in this direction, but here are the four students and the occupations they represent.

Student One - Fisherman

Student Two - Hunter

Student Three - Blacksmith

Student Four - Farmer

Once you have found your second student, stop! Let me know when you have found your second student. We’ll then play another three days, and another three days, until all four students have been found.

And then we will head for the finale and the CE discussion.

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

Total Posts: 8471

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

Found the Fisherman and the Hunter. Didn’t see an alternate path to any of the others yet. Solved the second relic puzzle and stopped (didn’t want the puzzle solving to take up any time in the next section).

The “I am the Fisherman/Hunter” mantra upon “waking” is rather creepy, if you ask me.

The truth can’t hurt you, it’s just like the dark: it scares you witless but in time you see things clear and stark. - Elvis Costello
Maybe this time I can be strong, but since I know who I am, I’m probably wrong. Maybe this time I can go far, but thinking about where I’ve been ain’t helping me start. - Michael Kiwanuka

Joined 2003-09-16

PM

I’m trying to think of how I progressed to where I am now. I’ll put what I can remember in spoilers.
after leaving the Fisherman, I got the hotel room key and went into the room with the suitcase. I climbed down into the back garden, saw the wolf, got the rope and went to the covered bridge. I did the Grocery Store and used the jack on the grate to get the snowshoes. Found the meat, obviously intended for the wolf, and thawed it. Went to Hunting Lodge. Got the ice pick and saw the latern needed oil. Made my way to the frozen river, got feather. Wandered back to hotel and found phone charger. Plugged it in the upstairs room. Got into Museum. Did everything there and found my second student, the blacksmith. Since he was not the same as rrtooney mentioned, I went looking for the girl. Got into farmhouse (cottage) and barn. Found the Farmer.
I obviously missed some doorway or screen extension. I have collected 13 tapes and have a s**tload of stuff in my inventory: Hammer, lighter, pliers, urn, blue triangle,, ice pick,axe, feather, fire extinguisher, reel tape, snowshoes, sea salt, sunflower seeds, purple circle and yellow triangle. I have no idea why I bought the sunflower seeds, but I found the 3 coins and it was the only thing I could do with that machine.

Total Posts: 3933

Joined 2011-03-14

PM

@colpet: It seem like you have taken a very different route through the game compared to what I did, for example I didn’t get the third coin until very late in the game.

Sefir - 22 May 2015 04:50 PM

I managed to open the suitcase!!! Part luck, part deduction!!

I also didn’t manage that until much later in the game, when I found her phone number.

So it seem like the game isn’t quite as linear as I thought, and you can actually do quite a lot of things in different orders, even though the game does try to block of different paths until other things have been completed - Interesting.

TimovieMan - 23 May 2015 01:04 AM

The “I am the Fisherman/Hunter” mantra upon “waking” is rather creepy, if you ask me.

Yeah I also quite like that.

You have to play the game, to find out why you are playing the game! - eXistenZ

Total Posts: 343

Joined 2012-03-13

PM

Found the Hunter. The walkie-talkie is rather creepy also.

Total Posts: 5596

Joined 2008-01-09

PM

I found the blacksmith and the hunter.

“Rainy days should be spent at home with a cup of tea and a good book.” -Bill Watterson

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

I think Colpet and Lady K are both playing the CE version of the game. I can’t imagine why that would make alternate routes through the game available. But it seems that everyone playing the SE are confined to a linear path.

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

Joined 2003-09-16

PM

rtrooney - 23 May 2015 06:40 PM

I think Colpet and Lady K are both playing the CE version of the game. I can’t imagine why that would make alternate routes through the game available. But it seems that everyone playing the SE are confined to a linear path.

Mine is most definitely the standard edition.

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

colpet - 23 May 2015 06:43 PM
rtrooney - 23 May 2015 06:40 PM

Mine is most definitely the standard edition.

Found this on the Casual Games thread, which is why I though you were playing the CE.

colpet - 03 May 2015 06:32 PM
rtrooney - 03 May 2015 06:24 PM

Colpet - Don’t know if you are aware, but we’ve started a new casual games playthrough thread. You might wasn’t to take a look to see if there’s anything there that you would be interested in playing as a group.

Totally off thread, but I meant to ask you whether you’ve seen much of the canine flu virus in your practice. We’ve had some bad outbreaks here in the Chicago area. My dog, Lacey, looks a mess because I wouldn’t take her to the groomer until she was vaccinated. She had her booster this past Saturday so she should be good to go.

I voted for the Mystery Case Files duo. The only problem is that I have the CE versions.
Thankfully, no canine flu here. Hopefully we will never see it. I’m glad to here you were able to get Lacey protected.

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

Joined 2003-09-16

PM

Sorry, I have the SE of this game and the CE of Dire Grove Dire Straits. I thought both were CEs.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top