You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming Adventure Adventure games that never were (warning: may make you cry)

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-21-2005, 04:57 PM   #21
The Dartmaster

Send a message via ICQ to Jake Send a message via MSN to Jake Send a message via Yahoo to Jake

Quote:
Originally Posted by RemiO
Are you sure? I thought I heard that it was supposed to be a lot more action based than the original at least.
Maybe so, but it was still more adventure inspired than it was inspired by fist fights and MojoMeters.

"I was one of the original lovers." - Evan Dickens
Old 01-21-2005, 05:57 PM   #22
fov
Rattenmonster

Hmm. I can't actually think of a game that I've been drooling for, that was then cancelled. Project Jane-J is really the only one that comes to mind.

Maybe there are others and I have repressed the memories. :eek:

-emily
Old 01-22-2005, 06:59 AM   #23
Ale! And keep 'em coming!

Quote:
Originally Posted by remixor
You were 3 years old in 2001??

Yes, I am a little wonderchild. I have an IQ of 257, and my first word was "Quantumphysics".

No, actually I was 3 years old in 1990, when LOOM was published. And I guess "Forge" was supposed to be published not to late after that. (Even though my IQ is pretty high, it is not THAT high. And I also wasn't into computers when I was 3. But we had an AMIGA when I was about 5.)

-

>>>Inventor of the Mail order-Assassin<<<

And *This*...is a Black Hole - BYE!
Old 01-22-2005, 07:58 AM   #24
Feind der Anonymitaet!

Send a message via ICQ to pinkgothic Send a message via AIM to pinkgothic Send a message via Yahoo to pinkgothic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jazhara7
(Even though my IQ is pretty high, it is not THAT high.
You had me fooled.
Old 01-22-2005, 08:54 AM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinkgothic
Quote:
(Even though my IQ is pretty high, it is not THAT high.
You had me fooled.

Wie soll ich das bitte verstehen?

-

Old 01-22-2005, 09:02 AM   #26
pain is love

Secret of Vulcan Fury and Warcraft adventures. And they would have been classics, especially ST:SOVF

There are more old drunks then old doctors. - Willie Nelson

by_100ja
Old 01-22-2005, 10:38 AM   #27
Shai-Hulud to you

atma! Thank you! Somewhere in another thread I referred to the game and called it Rama, or something like that. That's my saddest case of 'would have been'. It just looked awesome and was extremely promising. It's a shame no one picked up the game or refunded it. I mean, they already had quite a bit of the game developed.

Side question: what ever happens to all those games that never finish their development? I mean, who keeps all the files, all the art, etc,? Why can't someone just look for another publisher or something and just keep on developing, especially when there's already and engine in place and, I don't know, 50% of the game done?
Old 01-22-2005, 04:17 PM   #28
Dungeon Master

Project Jane-J aka Gray Matter. For the reasons that should be obvious to anybody who played any of the Gabriel Knight games. (I still haven't lost all hope for its release though, even if that makes me dumb)
Old 01-22-2005, 05:16 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jake
A couple of cancelled Lucas adventures, care of the extremely diligent people who run the Mixnmojo games database...
This is kind of depressing.
Old 01-23-2005, 11:47 AM   #30
Feind der Anonymitaet!

Send a message via ICQ to pinkgothic Send a message via AIM to pinkgothic Send a message via Yahoo to pinkgothic

Quote:
Wie soll ich das bitte verstehen?
Looks like the flattery didn't work... oops. :eek:
Old 01-23-2005, 12:09 PM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinkgothic
Looks like the flattery didn't work... oops. :eek:

I was just not sure, if you were being sarcastic. Did you mean, I had you fooled with me having been 3 years old in 2001, or did you think I was joking, when I said I do have a high IQ (I do, but I hate to boast about it. I think it doesn't matter, what IQ a person has. It's the person and their character that counts. )

Basically, the combination of the tongue-smily and the quote had me confused.

-

Old 01-23-2005, 12:26 PM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jake
A couple of cancelled Lucas adventures, care of the extremely diligent people who run the Mixnmojo games database...
[...]

There wasn't just a Loom sequel in the works, Loom was supposed to be a trilogy. Back in the early, post-Monkey Island-1990's, Mike Stemmle and Sean Clark were starting work on Forge, the first sequel, centered around Rusty Nailbender, one of the blacksmith guild guys you meet in the first game. Stemmle and Clark stopped working on that project though, when the opportunity to be project leads on Sam & Max Hit the Road came up. There was a third Loom game, The Fold, which focused on one of the shepheards you encountered. I don't think it ever got off of the first couple of pitch sheets for Loom, but it was planned.

[...]

Reading this made me sad. I had never actually read the summaries of the two sequel (I had heard it was a going to be a triology, but I wasn't sure.).

It also made me think of a personal idea of what heaven could be like:

You see, heaven for me would be pretty close to my real life. All the people that I love are there, and of course, I would have all my favourite adventures. The bad things would not be there, if I didn't want them. And the starry sky would always be visible at night.
And there's another thing, which I just realized: All the great games, that never were - Forge, The Fold, Atma - All of them would be there. They would be there, in the form that they would have existed in our world, if they had ever been. They would have been successes, in the form that they are in heaven.

This is my idea of heaven.

Also, I am watching the first Indiana Jones movie on TV, while writing this. I have not seen it for years, and barely remember it. But I still love the movie, and it nearly makes me cry to see that there could have been more games - I was totally oblivious to that, until now.

-

P.S.: No, I'm not very religious. I am not even christened.

Old 01-23-2005, 12:31 PM   #33

Quote:
Also, I am watching the first Indiana Jones movie on TV, while writing this. I have not seen it for years, and barely remember it. But I still love the movie, and it nearly makes me cry to see that there could have been more games - I was totally oblivious to that, until now.
I wasn't. I still cry myself to sleep some nights, thinking about it...

No really, at the end of Indiana Jones and the Fate of Atlantis, one line led me to think that there was going to be a sequel, which I awaited for years.
Old 01-23-2005, 05:36 PM   #34
No justice. Only me.

In terms of games that I heard were cancelled WHEN they were cancelled, the only one I can think of besides the obvious one is Hell on Wheels. At the time, I thought it was looking pretty good, so I was disappointed when it became no more.

In looking back at PAST games that are lost, I get sad about Indy and the Iron Phoenix, ESPECIALLY if it was stylized, and Warcraft Adventures.

I've actually heard rumors that the Spear of Destiny is going to be the artifact in the caught-in-Hollywood-limbo new Indiana Jones movie, so we may at least see that come to fruition. It's a good thing, because the Spear is BEGGING for Indy to come after it.
Old 02-15-2005, 09:30 PM   #35

I just found out about this:
http://www.planetmagrathea.com/gameindex.html

They were making a 3D Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy adventure game? Why did I never hear about this? Did I completely sleep through 1998-2002?

Well, I'm very sad now.
Old 02-15-2005, 11:39 PM   #36
I turn novels into games

On canceled games, can we include fan games that are always in development but never finished? In some ways this is worse - at least if a game is officially cancelled we are allowed to mourn. One particular fan game has been in production for nine years now, and there is still no end in sight. Is that a record?
Old 02-16-2005, 04:53 AM   #37
Old Git

Default Hell On Wheels

I just wanted to ride that bike again, man! Hell on Wheels - why, oh why?
Old 02-16-2005, 07:38 AM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Intrepid Homoludens
Around three years ago an American university funded group called Vinayak4D Games was working on a first person adventure called Atma: Mythic Light of India. It was to tell an ancient story about a Hindu god who, along with his wife, was wrongly cast out of heaven by an evil, deceitful god. You were to play the wife and had to perform good deeds and solve all these cypher based puzzles in order to save your husband and restore him to his rightful place.

Click for large. More screens here.

Vinayak was using the Unreal Warfare engine (yeah, the same one that powers Unreal Tournament 2003), and it would have been the first game launched using that engine, too, if they hadn't run out of money and couldn't find a backer. There were already screenshots. It looked awesome.

I was looking forward to this one because of its Hindu mythology and because it looked sooooo gorgeous.

Do you know of a game you were breathlessly waiting for, only to discover it being cancelled? And also, why were you so excited over it?

I figured I wouldn't bring up S&M: Freelance Police because there are already 50,000 threads mourning it.
I'm so happy that I've never heard of that game before, now it is canceled. That would have made me sad.
On the other side, honestly, if what they had got so far was good, someone would have given them the money they needed...
Old 02-16-2005, 09:09 AM   #39
The Thread™ will die.

Send a message via ICQ to RLacey Send a message via AIM to RLacey Send a message via MSN to RLacey Send a message via Yahoo to RLacey

Quote:
Originally Posted by DustCropper
I just found out about this:
http://www.planetmagrathea.com/gameindex.html

They were making a 3D Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy adventure game? Why did I never hear about this? Did I completely sleep through 1998-2002?

Well, I'm very sad now.
Wasn't it described by the developers as a "3D towel-'em-up"? I'd always assumed that it was going to have a load of action sequences.

I do not change to be perfect. Perfect changes to be me.

Old 02-16-2005, 02:02 PM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by RLacey
Wasn't it described by the developers as a "3D towel-'em-up"? I'd always assumed that it was going to have a load of action sequences.
Really? Well I'll take your word for it since my knowledge of this game only comes from that website.