You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming Adventure The Gabriel Knight 3 -interface

View Poll Results: The Gabriel Knight 3 -interface...
...was good. 39 55.71%
...was OK. 11 15.71%
...wasn't good. 7 10.00%
...took some getting used to. 9 12.86%
...I don't have an opinion of it. 0 0%
...I haven't played Gabriel Knight 3. 2 2.86%
...-Other- 2 2.86%
Voters: 70. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-06-2005, 09:03 AM   #1
Doctor Watson

Default The Gabriel Knight 3 -interface

Just trying to gather some pseudo-statistical data.
Old 02-06-2005, 09:38 AM   #2
Magic Wand Waver

Send a message via MSN to Fairygdmther

Deadworm? Could you add an option? It took getting used to - it wasn't an intuitive type of interface. I know for me that after a while, I got it to work, but it certainly wasn't my favorite kind of interface.

FGM
Old 02-06-2005, 09:55 AM   #3
Epinionated.

As above. Thought it was merely OK... suprised at the result so far. Plus it had more of a tendency to further the players view more than usual, in the sense that I felt like a ghost directing the action rather than part of it.
Old 02-06-2005, 09:55 AM   #4
Hopeful skeptic

I thought it was wretched. I got used to it, but it was still terrible.
Old 02-06-2005, 10:02 AM   #5
Shai-Hulud to you

I thought it was an aboslute delight to play with. I still can't understand why more games don't use this free-roaming camera, third-person system. I jsut adored it.
Old 02-06-2005, 10:06 AM   #6
Doctor Watson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fairygdmther
Deadworm? Could you add an option? It took getting used to - it wasn't an intuitive type of interface. I know for me that after a while, I got it to work, but it certainly wasn't my favorite kind of interface.
Sorry, only mods can edit polls.
Old 02-06-2005, 10:13 AM   #7
Doctor Watson

Quote:
Originally Posted by shiajun
I thought it was an aboslute delight to play with. I still can't understand why more games don't use this free-roaming camera, third-person system. I jsut adored it.
Yep. The only problem I had was the inventory. Soon I realised that using inventory items was often fairly intuitive, and there was no need for use-everything-with-everything. Mostly you just needed to use the glass, the notepad and the fingerprint kit.
Old 02-06-2005, 10:24 AM   #8
Easily amused

I liked it because , for the most part, I could play it from a 1st person perspective. I didn't use the camera angles very much, other than to do some of the puzzles.
Old 02-06-2005, 10:28 AM   #9
headless

Quote:
Originally Posted by shiajun
I absolutely agree. GK3 is my ideal of a 3D-3rd-person-p&c game and still included in the TOP 5 of my alltime favourites.
Old 02-06-2005, 10:46 AM   #10

I liked the game but not the interface.
Old 02-06-2005, 10:51 AM   #11
fov
Rattenmonster

Quote:
Originally Posted by deadworm222
Sorry, only mods can edit polls.
I added that option. I know it skews the data a little to add an option after people have started voting, but as you said, it is pseudo-data.

I had a real hard time with the GK3 interface, but I did get used to it after awhile, so I guess I'll vote for that.

emily
Old 02-06-2005, 12:15 PM   #12
Doctor Watson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snarky
What I was thinking in terms of improving it was to make the character "tethered" to the camera, the way Max follows Sam around in Sam & Max.
Why should that be added? I can't see why myself, because when you performed an action, the character skipped right behind the camera. I agree that it was maybe a little strange that if you wanted a quick exit through a door, for example, you had to move the camera so that it practically touched the door...
Old 02-06-2005, 12:21 PM   #13

It was pretty easy to get used to, but I've played as much shooters as adventure games. Though for me, I found it perfect, I still voted "OK" because I can see how counter-intuitive it must've been at first for other people (and therefor alone not the ideal solution). I still admire GK3 for its boldness in switching to 3D and trying to tackle the control issue - which it handled pretty good. Even for people unaccustomed to anything 3D, after the learning curve, it's pretty easy. I made a reply about this in the "Cold Hotspot" thread but realised it was pretty off-topic there and more suited here;

Quote:
Well, all the better, then. It shows that the concept is viable. However, I'm pretty sure that several reviews I've read mention that the interface is difficult at first.

What I was thinking in terms of improving it was to make the character "tethered" to the camera, the way Max follows Sam around in Sam & Max. Add a quicker way to move the camera around, other than the preset camera angles, and I think the experience should become quite smooth.
One of the big 'advantages' of 3D is that the developers need to create a well-rounded 3D world, which ofcourse also has the big downside for adventure developers to it - cost, as mentioned in trep's second article (which is again excellent). I'm very curious how Dreamfall wil solve the issue, but I think it utilizes direct control combined with preset camera angles (much like Grim Fandango except in full 3D). I'm all for the GK3 control scheme (for regular FPS players I think it was actually a blessing, or that's what I thought of it), but I seriously think upcoming 3D adventure games should leave this up to the player. In my opinion this would be a win-win situation, where the player would be given the choice between a first-person view, a third-person chasecam or GK3's solution, preferably with the added option of enabling defaulted camera angles. I know this sounds complicated, but the advantage of 3D is that all these options are possible - a game could be p&c and direct-control at the same time, and people could simply choose what they liked best, muwhahahaha!

Direct-control: possible in first-person, third-person chasecam, and in 'traditional mode', with default camera angles when you enter a new 'area' or room (although you can move it around). Combine this with configurable keys, and everyone wins. Items and people are manipulated/interacted with by "pointing" your camera/character roughly at them, much like Grim Fandango or EFMI, with keys to cycle 'targets', which, as you can guess, also works excellent in first-person.

Point & Click: possible with 'traditional mode', preset camera angles are triggered as you move through the world using your mouse, clicking somewhere to move your character there in third person and clicking objects/npcs to interact with them, it'd be handy to give objects a subtle but clearly visible glow as your cursor moves over them (or have the cursor change, ofcourse).

IMHO this is win-win for everybody, from FPS players to die-hard traditionalists, right? I mean, some people are used to moving your character with the mouse button like realMyst or Sentinel: DIT, while others would prefer the WASD control scheme, so IMO, configurable keys are a must. Furthermore, traditionalists could use the P&C option, so who could complain? Well, OK, the developer who'd have to come up with this, present it in a clear manner, and shave off all rough edges of all control scheme options, to make each as perfect as it would've been had they chosen to use just that single interface.

BTW, I don't think there has been one single 3D game that has seriously tackled this - for example Vampire: Bloodlines gave the player the option between first- and third-person views, but the latter felt clumsy during combat (which ofcourse there'd be none or little of in an adventure game). I can't think of many games that give the player this option though, so there's a real chance for an adventure game to be the first to create a nearly seamless gameworld, explored in the manner the player chooses. It'd be cleaner than HL2, goddamnit

Quote:
Originally Posted by colpet
I liked it because , for the most part, I could play it from a 1st person perspective. I didn't use the camera angles very much, other than to do some of the puzzles.
Could you elaborate? GK3 didn't have a first-person view, or did you simply mean third-person but said first?
Old 02-06-2005, 12:23 PM   #14
fov
Rattenmonster

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjacob
Could you elaborate? GK3 didn't have a first-person view, or did you simply mean third-person but said first?
Yes it did. You could move with Gabriel behind the camera, which was essentially a first person view. Or you could change the camera angle to see Gabe on the screen, which was the third person view.

-emily
Old 02-06-2005, 12:27 PM   #15

I think there should have been added yet another option to this poll, namely that the Gabriel Knight III interface is more than simply good, it is the greatest example of how an interface should be done for third-person games. After Gabriel Knight III came out and this example of interface design became avaliable to developers, any game designer who subsequently inflicted arrow-controlled character movement on the player should be taken out and burned at the stake.

For me there was no fussing around, no learning curve and except for an occasional tap on the Esc. key to hurry Gabe or Grace along, it is entirely Mouse-controlled. All I had to do was put the disk in the drive and jump in and play.

Antoinetta
Old 02-06-2005, 12:42 PM   #16
Doctor Watson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antoinetta
I think there should have been added yet another option to this poll, namely that the Gabriel Knight III interface is more than simply good, it is the greatest example of how an interface should be done for third-person games.
Well, I decided to keep the poll options at minimum. I almost added the "it's the greatest" -option, though, but thought that I'd leave it to the voter to define "good"...
Old 02-06-2005, 12:50 PM   #17
Elegantly copy+pasted

Well, I gave up on GK3 after half an hour because I hated the interface (and the graphics). And I've played a fair number of first-person shooters, as well as third-person action games (Tomb Raider, Max Payne, Metal Gear Solid). It just felt twice as complicated because I had to control a camera as well as a character. However, when I think about it analytically, I believe they were going the right way. I want to take that basic idea and develop it into something I would be comfortable using.

I think there are some fundamental differences between p+c and direct control, which would make it impossible to design a game that plays well using both methods. The primary one is exploration. In a p+c game, exploring your environment is as quick as moving the mouse cursor to a point on the screen. In a direct-control game, you actually have to move your character over there, or position the camera correctly, before you can attempt an action. That means the pace of the game is completely different, and the game levels should be designed differently.

We shouldn't assume that there's a mouse available. If we're making a 3D game with a direct control option, we're going to want to put it on consoles, because that's the biggest market. Our non-direct control interface would have to work with a joypad.

To put it simply, what I'm proposing is a true 3D (not fixed-position camera) version of point-and-click, without using a mouse.
Old 02-06-2005, 12:51 PM   #18
Vel
Quo non ascendet?

I think that, as a P&C, it's the best ever to appear in an adventure game - available actions only. As for the camera roaming, I thought it was great. Plus, if you didnt like it, there were fixed angles.
Old 02-06-2005, 01:25 PM   #19

"without using a mouse." Posted by Snarky

No Mouse, no Play.

Antoinetta
Old 02-06-2005, 01:34 PM   #20
Hopeful skeptic

Quote:
Well, I gave up on GK3 after half an hour because I hated the interface (and the graphics). And I've played a fair number of first-person shooters, as well as third-person action games (Tomb Raider, Max Payne, Metal Gear Solid). It just felt twice as complicated because I had to control a camera as well as a character.
Yeah, I'm curious to know what other types of 3D games the people who love GK3's interface have played (or HAD played before GK3). If I was coming from a strictly (or at least mostly) P&C background, I would probably have found GK3's controls pretty elegant, if complex. But my own experience of far more intuitive and smooth controls in 3D action games left GK3's feeling incredibly bloated, clunky, and cumbersome.