• Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums
continue reading below

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

angelus_04rtrooney

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Adventure Game Scene of the Day - Saturday 17 Sept. 2016

Total Posts: 5596

Joined 2008-01-09

PM

Dear Esther

Since there are no puzzles in the game, I would call Dear Esther an interactive mood piece rather than a true adventure game.  In the long run, however, its classification really doesn’t matter because the moving story carries this piece of video art. 

As the player explores a bleak and abandoned island off the coast of Scotland, the male narrator reveals its history as well as his own personal story in the form of letters to his wife.  Not all the details are revealed, so the player is left to decide how certain events unfolded.  However, there is a goal in the game and a conclusion that may trigger more speculation on the player’s part.  To me, playing it was an emotional experience that I won’t forget.

“Rainy days should be spent at home with a cup of tea and a good book.” -Bill Watterson

Total Posts: 8998

Joined 2004-01-05

PM

No doubt, an emotional game, I went through a couple of times now, very worth it.
Game is coming out on PS4 and XboxOne this week - 20th September. (adds achievements/trophies, which is crazy for a game like this, but they are obligatory…)

Total Posts: 5051

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

wilco - 17 September 2016 06:10 PM

(adds achievements/trophies, which is crazy for a game like this, but they are obligatory…)

Sounds like a casual game feature that even most casual game players hate because it interrupts the flow of the game.

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

Total Posts: 1573

Joined 2003-09-10

PM

Okay, I confess I’m curious as to what the achievements might be.  Nerd

I agree this was a memorable experience. The story and its ambiguities had me hooked. I thought about it for quite some time after finishing.

Total Posts: 8998

Joined 2004-01-05

PM

Becky - 18 September 2016 11:43 AM

Okay, I confess I’m curious as to what the achievements might be.  Nerd

There are 10. I will spoiler it just in case:

Finish Chapter ‘The Lighthouse’
Finish Chapter ‘The Buoy’
Finish Chapter ‘The Caves’
Finish Chapter ‘The Beacon’
Drown Once (Secret)
Die from falling off a cliff once (Secret)
Uncover 4 urns
Trigger all directors’ commentary
Trigger all voice over points
Walk 5000 steps
Smile

You can drown? I don’t remember that

Total Posts: 5596

Joined 2008-01-09

PM

wilco - 18 September 2016 12:55 PM

You can drown? I don’t remember that

Yes, you can go into the deep water in the cave, although you still can escape and explore, so it’s not technically a drowning.  Also, you can walk into the water along the shore but are told to go back, so I’m not sure if that counts either.

“Rainy days should be spent at home with a cup of tea and a good book.” -Bill Watterson

Total Posts: 1573

Joined 2003-09-10

PM

Thanks Wilco! I spent enough time in the game that 5000 steps may have been about right.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top