• Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums
continue reading below

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Adventure Game Scene of the Day - Thursday 1 September 2016

Total Posts: 8998

Joined 2004-01-05

PM

Warning: Episodic Content

This is beginning of Act 1 of Knee Deep, a game that I don’t think it got the attention it deserved, it’s a little noir game that looks like a theatre play. You control 3 characters: A blogger, A reporter and a detective that are investigating the murder of a has-been actor in Hollywood.

I had written a way longer post about the theme for this month that is episodic games but the forum decided it was probably best to avoid me posting and gave an error. Since I’m not writing it again I’m just going to ask people:

What is your favorite first episode of an adventure game?

Total Posts: 495

Joined 2008-07-23

PM

The first episode from The Wolf Among Us, the mix of fairy tale characters with a hard-boiled detective story sounded insane at first and it turned out to be one of my favorite adventure games of all time ! Am I right Mr Bigby wilco ?

Joined 2004-01-05

PM

Abnaxus - 01 September 2016 03:13 PM

The first episode from The Wolf Among Us, the mix of fairy tale characters with a hard-boiled detective story sounded insane at first and it turned out to be one of my favorite adventure games of all time ! Am I right Mr Bigby wilco ?

Good choice, sets up the fairy tale world perfectly with excellent introductions to Bigby and Snow (that cab scene…) with that gutwrenching twiat at the end of the episode.

Other strong first episodes I would say Dreamfall Chapters, starting strong with April funeral and the big Zoe section and “shitbot”. New Kings Quest is also very good feeling like a complete game in an episode.

Total Posts: 5051

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

wilco - 01 September 2016 01:53 PM

I had written a way longer post about the theme for this month that is episodic games but the forum decided it was probably best to avoid me posting and gave an error. Since I’m not writing it again I’m just going to ask people:

Strange the same thing happened to me today when I posted on the casual playthrough voting thread. I tried to include a link to a game’s AGSOTD post and I got an error message. When I removed the link everything was OK.

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

Joined 2004-01-05

PM

rtrooney - 01 September 2016 04:17 PM

Strange the same thing happened to me today when I posted on the casual playthrough voting thread. I tried to include a link to a game’s AGSOTD post and I got an error message. When I removed the link everything was OK.

It wasn’t that in my case, when I finished writing the post and submitting it gave an error and asked me to log in again. After that the post was gone.

Total Posts: 7109

Joined 2005-09-29

PM

Best first eps,

1.TftBorderlands
2.twau
3.Kings quest

Joined 2004-01-05

PM

nomadsoul - 01 September 2016 05:39 PM

Best first eps,

1.TftBorderlands
2.twau
3.Kings quest

TalesBorderlands is definitely a good choice -great intro - but I’m saving it for later Smile

Total Posts: 5051

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

wilco - 01 September 2016 04:39 PM

It wasn’t that in my case, when I finished writing the post and submitting it gave an error and asked me to log in again. After that the post was gone.

When writing a long post on AG, heed the Adventure player’s mantra…Save early. Save often.

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

Total Posts: 8471

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

I had written a way longer post about the theme for this month that is episodic games but the forum decided it was probably best to avoid me posting and gave an error.

This is why I make all my longer posts in Notepad first and then just copy/paste them in. If something goes wrong, I still have the full post.
But I’m paranoid that way. Grin

What is your favorite first episode of an adventure game?

Holy crap, I think the freeware AGS game Robert Redford Saves the Day is the only episodic game I’ve ever played… Gasp

To whom do I return my adventurer’s badge???  Sealed Lips

Or do “unfinished full games” like A Vampyre Story, Dreamfall and Toonstruck count?  Innocent

The truth can’t hurt you, it’s just like the dark: it scares you witless but in time you see things clear and stark. - Elvis Costello
Maybe this time I can be strong, but since I know who I am, I’m probably wrong. Maybe this time I can go far, but thinking about where I’ve been ain’t helping me start. - Michael Kiwanuka

Joined 2004-01-05

PM

TimovieMan - 02 September 2016 02:54 AM

Holy crap, I think the freeware AGS game Robert Redford Saves the Day is the only episodic game I’ve ever played… Gasp

To whom do I return my adventurer’s badge???  Sealed Lips

Not even Sam and Max ot Back to the Future? The good thing of these kind of games is that most episodes are playable in one session, like watching a big movie.

TimovieMan - 02 September 2016 02:54 AM

Or do “unfinished full games” like A Vampyre Story, Dreamfall and Toonstruck count?  Innocent

I would not consider them episodic. Smile  (although Dreamfall got an episodic sequel)

Total Posts: 5837

Joined 2012-03-24

PM

I’ve been keeping an eye on Knee Deep until a few more episodes are released but the game does seem very appealing!

As for my favourite 1st episode of a series (but I usually tend to wait until more episodes are released before buying):

The Wolf Among Us
Dreamfall Chapters
Broken Sword 5 (albeit it was just the 2 episodes)

Total Posts: 1785

Joined 2010-01-10

PM

Although short Blackwell Legacy for me. Set up the series remarkably well.

Life is what it is.

Joined 2004-01-05

PM

chrissie - 02 September 2016 08:50 AM

As for my favourite 1st episode of a series (but I usually tend to wait until more episodes are released before buying):

The Wolf Among Us
Dreamfall Chapters
Broken Sword 5 (albeit it was just the 2 episodes)

Although very good I don’t really see BS5 (or Broken Age) has a episodic games, more like a full game that was chopped in 2 at the release for budget or whatever reasons.

Total Posts: 8471

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

wilco - 02 September 2016 09:28 AM

Although very good I don’t really see BS5 (or Broken Age) has a episodic games, more like a full game that was chopped in 2 at the release for budget or whatever reasons.

I agree. The same goes for Broken Age.

And personally, I don’t consider the Blackwell games episodic either.

The truth can’t hurt you, it’s just like the dark: it scares you witless but in time you see things clear and stark. - Elvis Costello
Maybe this time I can be strong, but since I know who I am, I’m probably wrong. Maybe this time I can go far, but thinking about where I’ve been ain’t helping me start. - Michael Kiwanuka

Total Posts: 1785

Joined 2010-01-10

PM

TimovieMan - 02 September 2016 09:47 AM

And personally, I don’t consider the Blackwell games episodic either.

How do you see them then Tim? It was a story broken down into stages and if that isn’t episodic I don’t know what is. Just because each is a vignette in its own right they all flow into each other to make a story of Rosa and Joey.

I was going to (somewhat mischievously) suggest UaKM but didn’t think that entered into the spirit of the original question. That one you could have gotten away with questioning Tongue

Life is what it is.

Total Posts: 7446

Joined 2013-08-26

PM

TWAU - Kentucky Route Zero - Sam&Max; Season One

Butter my buns and call me a biscuit! - Agent A

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top