• Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums
continue reading below

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

chrissiewalas74zobraks

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Adventure Game Scene of the Day - Saturday 6 August 2016

Total Posts: 5596

Joined 2008-01-09

PM

Obsidian

To clear up the earth’s increasingly toxic atmosphere, two scientists, Max and Lilah, have finally launched the Ceres Project. After dealing with a lot of red tape, a factory in space is now producing nanobots to restore the ozone layer and clean up the excessive greenhouse gases. 

Taking a well-earned break by camping in the wilderness, the scientists encounter a strange new formation of black rock that is, much to their amazement, growing larger day by day.  One morning you, playing as Lilah, hear a cry from Max and go to investigate.  As you get closer to the mountain of obsidian, you are suddenly drawn into its strange and surreal worlds.

The screenshot shows one of four puzzles the player has to complete in the mechanical spider realm.  The game is loaded with unique puzzles, most of which I found moderately to extremely challenging.  Even though it was published twenty years ago, the themes it tackles, such as government bureaucracy, technology, and the environment, are still very relevant today.  I also like the fact that it deals with them with humor and without sermonizing.  It’s definitely an adventure game classic.

“Rainy days should be spent at home with a cup of tea and a good book.” -Bill Watterson

Total Posts: 1666

Joined 2014-02-08

PM

This sure is one of those games that I would never play. I’ve seen a lots of screenshots of this game, and even watched a complete walkthrough on yt just to understand why this game is praised so much by some players. I still don’t know the answer… Smile Thanks for description LK.

Total Posts: 8471

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

DarkEye - 07 August 2016 02:39 AM

This sure is one of those games that I would never play.

Why?

You should check the Community Playthrough we held for this. The game was well-liked (and rightfully so).

The truth can’t hurt you, it’s just like the dark: it scares you witless but in time you see things clear and stark. - Elvis Costello
Maybe this time I can be strong, but since I know who I am, I’m probably wrong. Maybe this time I can go far, but thinking about where I’ve been ain’t helping me start. - Michael Kiwanuka

Joined 2014-02-08

PM

TimovieMan - 07 August 2016 03:59 AM

Why?

You should check the Community Playthrough we held for this. The game was well-liked (and rightfully so).

Probably because of the same reasons I don’t like Myst’s or their clones. A puzzle heavy games are also not not my cup of tea.

Total Posts: 7446

Joined 2013-08-26

PM

This sure is one of those games that I would never play. I’ve seen a lots of screenshots of this game, and even watched a complete walkthrough on yt just to understand why this game is praised so much by some players. I still don’t know the answer… Smile

Butter my buns and call me a biscuit! - Agent A

Joined 2014-02-08

PM

Thanks for that, Karlok! Smile

Joined 2013-08-26

PM

Don’t get me wrong, I love Obsidian. In my top ten. Brilliant design. Beautiful. Two of my alltime favorite puzzles.

I have no argument with personal preferences. But I do think it’s a bit naive to think you can understand why other people love a game by watching YT clips. You have to sit through their often annoying comments while they’re exploring and trying to solve puzzles. Or they show you the bare minimum of the game and the solutions they already figured out. 

I bet the YT walkthrough didn’t show the four pics and the lines spoken by the “rebel control bot”. Tongue

Total Posts: 930

Joined 2004-01-06

PM

I enjoyed Obsidian—except for that awful memory sequence towards the end, which took me forever and put me off of ever replaying. Most of the puzzles were unique and interesting.

If I were playing it now, I’d just use a phone camera.

Total Posts: 5835

Joined 2012-03-24

PM

DarkEye - 07 August 2016 05:04 AM
TimovieMan - 07 August 2016 03:59 AM

Why?

Probably because of the same reasons I don’t like Myst’s or their clones. A puzzle heavy games are also not not my cup of tea.

Puzzle heavy games are not my thing either DarkEye - I did eventually complete Myst using a walkthrough because I just had to play it - not the best way of getting through a game in my mind but I’m glad I did it! I got part way through Myst Exile but I just don’t have an affinity towards the way the puzzles work.
Obsidian, however, was quite different - I would never ever have gone near the game if it wasn’t for the CPT here & if I had would have completely given up. I’m so glad that I gave the game a go as it was the most weird, wackiest, interesting & incredible game I’ve ever played & kept me hooked enough to keep playing!

I have to agree with Karlok that there is no way that you can glean the full glory of the game from watching a YT playthrough!  Smile

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

DarkEye - 07 August 2016 05:04 AM

I don’t like Myst or most of its clones either. Loved Obsidian, though. Wink

(^ what chrissie said)

The truth can’t hurt you, it’s just like the dark: it scares you witless but in time you see things clear and stark. - Elvis Costello
Maybe this time I can be strong, but since I know who I am, I’m probably wrong. Maybe this time I can go far, but thinking about where I’ve been ain’t helping me start. - Michael Kiwanuka

Joined 2013-08-26

PM

TimovieMan - 07 August 2016 05:58 PM

I don’t like Myst or most of its clones either.

I distinctly remember you telling us you haven’t played Myst.  Tongue
So you just might like it as much as Obsidian.

EDIT: http://www.adventuregamers.com/forums/viewthread/4503/#74721

Total Posts: 442

Joined 2006-06-14

PM

Fantastic game which must be PLAYED to be appreciated.  Same goes for Myst.

Total Posts: 5596

Joined 2008-01-09

PM

I love the graphics, Karlock!  Grin

That final puzzle was a tough one for me, too, Crabapple!  Since it’s random, taking a quick picture of the screen would certainly make a difference.

“Rainy days should be spent at home with a cup of tea and a good book.” -Bill Watterson

Joined 2014-02-08

PM

Thanks Karlok, chrissie & Timothy for sharing your thoughts about this game. I can fully understand watching YT (or somebody else playing) could not be compared with personal experiences. But that’s the closest thing I’ll ever get to this game. (too many other games in line)

Karlok - 07 August 2016 12:27 PM

I bet the YT walkthrough didn’t show the four pics and the lines spoken by the “rebel control bot”. Tongue

Sorry but I really can’t remember that, Karlok. Check it out for yourself in you want to. I really don’t know on which part of the game this should be.
Obsidian

Total Posts: 2989

Joined 2012-03-09

PM

Obsidian was a great game with very interesting and unique puzzles. We had lots of fun in the AGCP too. A difficult but fair game. The fact that each world had its own rules that had to be followed for puzzle solving (a specific wording, upside-down gravity, etc) made each puzzle solving a small victory. The spider realm was perhaps the weakest world, but still very unique in both puzzle logic and execution.

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

Karlok - 07 August 2016 06:14 PM

I distinctly remember you telling us you haven’t played Myst.  Tongue
So you just might like it as much as Obsidian.

EDIT: http://www.adventuregamers.com/forums/viewthread/4503/#74721

I never finished it, but I did play it for a couple of hours, and I tried again on that godawful DS port.

It’s because I hated it so much that I never finished it. Sorta like the first Space Quest. Innocent

Since I never got far into it, I can’t fully claim I played it, but I did play some of it…

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top