• Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums
continue reading below

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Adventure Game Scene of the Day - Saturday 16 July

Total Posts: 5599

Joined 2008-01-09

PM

Amerzone

As the story opens, you are on your way to visit an old explorer who lives alone in a lighthouse.  During your visit, you learn about his adventures in the Amerzone in the early 1930s and the tribe he met there and ultimitely betrayed by stealing a special egg used in their rituals.  He bitterly regrets his actions but is too old and feeble to try to make things right now, so you, the intrepid adventurer, decide to return the egg for him.

I played Amerzone for the first time just a couple of years ago when it became available for Mac OSX, and I think it has held up well considering it’s 17 years old.  It isn’t a difficult game puzzlewise, except perhaps figuring out a certain sound sequence to call some special creatures, but all of the puzzles are designed to move the story along nicely.  The exploration and story are the most important elements of the game, and I love the way fantasy is mixed with reality to make the fiction believable.  One of the fantasy elements, shown in the screenshot, is your all-purpose vehicle that allows you to travel via air and water, but it’s the wonderful creatures you meet along the way that make the adventure extra special.

“Rainy days should be spent at home with a cup of tea and a good book.” -Bill Watterson

Total Posts: 5837

Joined 2012-03-24

PM

I love the unusual screenshot Lady Kestrel!  Thumbs Up
I played Amerzone on PS1 & very much liked it but was surprised to see that it was described as an action game in one magazine at the time!

Total Posts: 1573

Joined 2003-09-10

PM

The title made me think it was an action game at first too. I played this years ago and it impressed me. The theme of young men who left Europe for the new world and are now old men—with regrets—was unusual at the time. (Still is, now that I think about it.)

I always wondered how the player character made their way back home. Looked like a long walk.

Total Posts: 5599

Joined 2008-01-09

PM

One thing that bothered me was that our character left the body of the old man in his chair.  We also did so with the priest, but we were in danger and couldn’t do anything.

“Rainy days should be spent at home with a cup of tea and a good book.” -Bill Watterson

Total Posts: 5051

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

I don’t know if this was Sokal’s first game, but it certainly set the thematic stage for what was to come later.

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top